PDA

View Full Version : kyokushin

Dragonzbane76
07-04-2010, 11:34 AM
:)was watching some older vids of tournaments, some of these shots just look painful.

thing i never understood was you can kick the head but not punch it just always found it amusing considering you can generate a lot more force with a kick. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujMgPDUGYUs&feature=related

Hebrew Hammer
07-04-2010, 12:04 PM
An impressive style of Karate to be sure, but I never understood why they didn't allow hand strikes to the head either...you should train like you fight and you aren't doing yourself any favors if you don't learn to take/defend a punch to your dome and practice striking a moving target. Its much easier to strike the torso.

goju
07-04-2010, 03:14 PM
to my understanding kk schools do spar and practice against punches to the face they just dont do it in comps

goju
07-04-2010, 03:15 PM
:)
thing i never understood was you can kick the head but not punch it just always found it amusing considering you can generate a lot more force with a kick. :p

kicks are harder to land and will be used less often though :p

Dragonzbane76
07-04-2010, 10:35 PM
agree whole heartedly goju. but the amount of force you can generate is more than a punch, you agree?

sanjuro_ronin
07-05-2010, 07:21 AM
You puny mortals.
Kyokushin is not for you to understand, it can only be experienced !

The no face thing has to do with the bare knuckle aspect, with gloves you are allowed to hit the face.
Kyokushin offshoots that allow this is Royama's kyokushin with gloves and the Daidojuku with gloves and "space" helmet.
There is also the Kyokushin offshoot of Shidokan that divdes the matches into 3:
One round MT
One round submission grappling and One round Kyoksuhin bare knuckle.

In regards to it being ok to kick but not punch the head, that has to do with the fact that head kicks are easier to avoided and do less damage (typically) than head punches AND they are more cool to watch.

Dragonzbane76
07-05-2010, 12:25 PM
In regards to it being ok to kick but not punch the head, that has to do with the fact that head kicks are easier to avoided and do less damage (typically) than head punches AND they are more cool to watch.

can see your point on that now.

so are you saying that they have events in kyo. that allow for gloves and head shots? Not undermining the sys. have respect for it and what they do, just doesn't seem right not sparring to full capacity with head punches. Teaching your self muscle mem. and not ingraining punching to the head. Honestly I don't know enough about it and they probably do punch to the head in class or something. But all the tournaments i've seen the rule sets neg. head punching. interesting and brutal sys. though.

sanjuro_ronin
07-05-2010, 12:33 PM
can see your point on that now.

so are you saying that they have events in kyo. that allow for gloves and head shots? Not undermining the sys. have respect for it and what they do, just doesn't seem right not sparring to full capacity with head punches. Teaching your self muscle mem. and not ingraining punching to the head. Honestly I don't know enough about it and they probably do punch to the head in class or something. But all the tournaments i've seen the rule sets neg. head punching. interesting and brutal sys. though.

Royama's IKO is doing some competitions with gloves.
At me old school we trained head shots all the time and only going into a competition did we just do body shots, but every so often the head still got hit and I know I got lots of warnings in my time.
The problem with kyokushin is NOT just "no head shots" but that their absence tends to lead to absence of footwork and way too much "stand there and hit each other" fights.
When there was no weight limit you had no choice but to move, fighting guys that out weight you by 50 lbs or more AND can fight is interesting to say the least.
Now with weigh limits there are a tad too many "linear fights".
But the truth be told, I don't follow the Kyokushin championships anymore so this may not be the case now.
I don't know for sure.

TenTigers
07-05-2010, 01:45 PM
TKD used to be like that as well-no punches to the head but kicks were allowed. In class, we went to the head but pulled the strikes..sometimes. Same with Kenpo.

sanjuro_ronin
07-06-2010, 05:44 AM
TKD used to be like that as well-no punches to the head but kicks were allowed. In class, we went to the head but pulled the strikes..sometimes. Same with Kenpo.

Yep, ITF TKD was like kyokushin, I don't think WTF ever was to be honest.
The no head punches things does have SOME merit to it:
Forces you to defend your body, somethign many neglect.
Shows you how much your body can actually take.
Gets rid of the "too dangerous heart punches" crap real quick.
Makes you kick more.

Dragonzbane76
07-06-2010, 10:07 AM
some more knockouts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYzTZUnV3Yk

Iron_Eagle_76
07-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Any martial art created by a guy who kills bulls with his bare hands has to be uber awesome!;)

sanjuro_ronin
07-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Any martial art created by a guy who kills bulls with his bare hands has to be uber awesome!;)

Oxen, not bulls, but bulls sounds more cool !

goju
07-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Yep, ITF TKD was like kyokushin, I don't think WTF ever was to be honest.

well the korean teacher my tkd lineage goes through was a WTF guy and they did knock down karate sparring at his school ( with legs kicks and knees) but to be fair he was like many wtf guys a former ITF member so thats like why his school was run like that. :D

sanjuro_ronin
07-06-2010, 01:06 PM
well the korean teacher my tkd lineage goes through was a WTF guy and they did knock down karate sparring at his school ( with legs kicks and knees) but to be fair he was like many wtf guys a former ITF member so thats like why his school was run like that. :D

The first couple of generations of ITF guys were all hardcore.

goju
07-06-2010, 01:09 PM
yep then it all went down the drain real quick lol

Dragonzbane76
07-06-2010, 01:22 PM
don't leave me in the dark... give me the details :)