PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Weapons to Children.

Lokhopkuen
07-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Does it build character or is it dangerous to peers and family? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVUDXq6Kb8)

David Jamieson
07-06-2010, 11:37 AM
if taught properly I think it's ok. Anytime after about 9 years old when motor skills are starting to fire up a lot.

when teaching a weapon to anyone, the biggest factor is their character and your assurance of the goodness of it really.

I mean a person can be a little off some days and still be of good character.

I personally wouldn't teach weapon handling and retention skills to those with the wrong intent by my discernment.

MartialDev
07-06-2010, 11:46 AM
I can still remember learning the staff in elementary school, at around 10 years old. One day, we were doing two-man forms, and my partner decided he didn't want to play the role of the "loser". So instead, he just smashed me in the head. I suppose I'm lucky he didn't take my eye out.

GeneChing
07-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Kendo has an excellent system of weapon etiquette. It's very formal and builds respect and understanding. Unfortunately, CMA is severely lacking in weapon etiquette. I think a lot of that comes from modern wushu making lightweight weapons that don't command so much respect. Here's another place where traditional really shines.

SanHeChuan
07-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Did you create that form?

Iron_Lung
07-06-2010, 12:48 PM
I agree I think it depends on each person (or child's) character and behavior. Not sure what age that is actually. Weapon etiquette is a great idea universally. Btw Lokhopkuen, your son looks pretty sharp with his skills, you must be proud of him. Way to go!

sanjuro_ronin
07-06-2010, 12:53 PM
When someone doesn't "need" a weapon, that is the perfect time to teach them.

Lokhopkuen
07-07-2010, 02:15 AM
When someone doesn't "need" a weapon, that is the perfect time to teach them.

Well said.

Lokhopkuen
07-07-2010, 02:16 AM
Did you create that form?

No it's part of my teacher's curriculum

uki
07-07-2010, 02:56 AM
children of martial parents will naturally learn to use weapons naturally from observing their parents... common sense and natural parenting wisdom will obviously keep the more dangerous weapons out of childrens hands... nothing wrong with sticks, clubs, and bats for the child to find movement, balance, and basic mechanics - each child will progress differently... parental observation of the childs weapon responsibility is paramount here. :)

Scott R. Brown
07-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Does it build character or is it dangerous to peers and family? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVUDXq6Kb8)

I have never seen a nunchaku form I like, but you have a very nice looking kid!:)

As to teaching weapons to youngsters, I like wooden weapons too. Sticks, staff, short staff and bokken! 15 is old enough for the more serious ones though, especially if your father is an instructor!

SanHeChuan
07-07-2010, 08:10 AM
If they are big enough to hold'em go for it. Other than giving them live blades, I don't see a problem.

SIFU RON
07-07-2010, 04:04 PM
The mental ability of the child is what counts, my Grandson started playing around with toy swords, the ones sold for kids that flashed and made them feel like there were from the " dark Side " LOL when he was 3 or 4.

I started teaching him Sword cuts and blocks as he went along. He got really good with the BroadSword.Teaching children weapons is a good idea if they are capable of learning them and understand the danger involved.

SPJ
07-07-2010, 05:46 PM
weapons may hurt other but also hurt ourself, too,

like a double edge sword.

so the first thing to learn is how not to hurt ourself while practicing.

staff wise

learn long staff, then medium staff

then learn 3 section staff

then learn 2 section staff

and not the other way around

---