PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone!

Iron_Lung
07-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi there everybody!

Just wanted to introduce myself to the board. I am new to the world of martial arts even though I have held an interest in it since I was very young. Did a very short stint in Tang Soo Do as a youth and now am a new member of a school that teaches a very unique style of White Crane Kung Fu. I am really enjoying it and am really excited to learn about not only my style and school, but martial arts in general.

Anyways, if this thread is not needed or in the wrong place or whatever, feel free to delete. Just wanted to greet everyone formally and say hello. Inquiries welcome! Peace!

sanjuro_ronin
07-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Welcome, stay a while, have some tea, maybe a few laughs but always remember this:
The MA is a PERSONAL journey and as such, whatever path YOU CHOOSE will always be right for YOU if you enjoy it and are getting what you want out of it.
Have a sense of humour about this place and never, ever take it personally.

SanHeChuan
07-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Why is it unique? :D

Iron_Lung
07-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Why is it unique? :D

From what I have been told, only my Sigong graduated with enough material to teach and he was the only person in America teaching this style when he came from China. He has since passed and as far as I know, there are only two people who reached instructor level under my Sigong. One of them is my Sifu. Our style is a blending of Choy Lay Fut and Tibetan White Crane.

David Jamieson
07-06-2010, 01:40 PM
so what's the style called?

Iron_Lung
07-06-2010, 01:42 PM
TOISAN White Crane

taai gihk yahn
07-06-2010, 01:46 PM
TOISAN White Crane

and who, may I ask, is your sigung?

David Jamieson
07-06-2010, 01:46 PM
So it's Bai He from Toisan?

I learned a black tiger style that comes from toisan.

MasterKiller
07-06-2010, 01:48 PM
and who, may I ask, is your sigung?

http://i46.tinypic.com/fz9mh0.jpg

taai gihk yahn
07-06-2010, 01:51 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/fz9mh0.jpg

now, now, don't go scaring off the newbie...:D

David Jamieson
07-06-2010, 01:54 PM
yeah I wanna hear more about this.

or.... Quiet you!

http://coolrain44.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/mr-peabody-sherman.jpg

:D

Hardwork108
07-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Hi there everybody!

Just wanted to introduce myself to the board. I am new to the world of martial arts even though I have held an interest in it since I was very young. Did a very short stint in Tang Soo Do as a youth and now am a new member of a school that teaches a very unique style of White Crane Kung Fu. I am really enjoying it and am really excited to learn about not only my style and school, but martial arts in general.

Anyways, if this thread is not needed or in the wrong place or whatever, feel free to delete. Just wanted to greet everyone formally and say hello. Inquiries welcome! Peace!

Welcome to the forum.:)

Tell us more about your White Crane studies and style. Are you aware of many peculiarities that distinguish this style from other Crane system? If so, then please share some details.

Good to have you here.:)

Iron_Lung
07-06-2010, 02:18 PM
So it's Bai He from Toisan?

As I understand it, yes. The style was created by a teacher of Choy Lay Fut and a teacher of Tibetan White Crane. My Sigong was Master Ruhu Zhu who passed away in March of this year. I actually didnt get to meet him but he is the one who brought this style to the U.S. from China.

To Hardwork 108: I am probably not as aware of the similarities/differences from the other White Crane styles as I am very new to this style and MA in general (in earnest). If you have info to add, please do!

To MasterKiller: Funny guy!

Any other questions or discussion topics are most welcome!

taai gihk yahn
07-06-2010, 02:23 PM
As I understand it, yes. The style was created by a teacher of Choy Lay Fut and a teacher of Tibetan White Crane. My Sigong was Master Ruhu Zhu who passed away in March of this year.
where did he teach? what was his lineage? why are you using a Mandarin pronunciation of his name if he is from Toishan? who is your current sifu and where does he teach?

I'm asking this because there are not too many people teaching CLF / TWC combo systems, in fact it was pretty unique to one school in Toisan, and the only other person I am aware of doing this was my sifu Chan Tai San (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chan_Tai_San), and he started teaching in the states in the mid-80's, so I'm wondering if ur sigung was the same lineage as him and when he came to the US...

ManilaCrane
07-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Lineage is on the website

http://www.whitecrane.ws/about-white-crane/master-zhu/lineage.html

taai gihk yahn
07-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Lineage is on the website

http://www.whitecrane.ws/about-white-crane/master-zhu/lineage.html

oh, ok; got it; never mind; thanks;

David Jamieson
07-06-2010, 02:59 PM
where did he teach? what was his lineage? why are you using a Mandarin pronunciation of his name if he is from Toishan? who is your current sifu and where does he teach?

I'm asking this because there are not too many people teaching CLF / TWC combo systems, in fact it was pretty unique to one school in Toisan, and the only other person I am aware of doing this was my sifu Chan Tai San (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chan_Tai_San), and he started teaching in the states in the mid-80's, so I'm wondering if ur sigung was the same lineage as him and when he came to the US...

I was gonna comment that you might be a kungfu uncle here, but I wasn't sure yet.

taai gihk yahn
07-06-2010, 03:03 PM
I was gonna comment that you might be a kungfu uncle here, but I wasn't sure yet.

no, doesn't look like it has anything to do w/CTS or the CLF / LP he learned at Clear Cloud Monastery

Yao Sing
07-06-2010, 04:22 PM
CLF really seems to get around.

ManilaCrane
07-06-2010, 04:35 PM

CLF is quite popular within the martial arts community :)

Dale Dugas
07-06-2010, 04:41 PM
CLF people like to hit people, and have those cool swinging nasty punches that come from out of nowhere and make you rethink the reasons you attacked the CLF person in the first place......

Yao Sing
07-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Well we have CLF and White Crane here, CLF and Lama Pai, possibly CLF in Wah Lum kung fu.

And CLF itself is a hybrid.

So where else has CLF paired up with another style?

ManilaCrane
07-06-2010, 04:57 PM
plus its quite effective when fighting against multiple opponents too!

Iron_Lung
07-07-2010, 11:27 AM

I hope the website helped answer the questions you asked. My sigung taught in the Bahamas for a year or two and then came to Phoenix (around 1990-1991) and taught until he went to San Francisco in the early 2000's (not sure which year exactly). As far as the pronunciation, I wouldnt know the difference. The only things in Chinese I know are hello and thank you. My Sifu is Richard who is pictured on the website and we work out in Mesa, AZ just outside of Phoenix. Hope that satisfies the inquiry. Any other questions are welcome.

I had read the link you provided for me in another thread and I think you were talking about your teacher and about his life and whatnot. Seemed pretty interesting. Might you have any more good links regarding your teacher, school or resources on the blending of TWC/CLF systems? Thanks for the inquiry!

taai gihk yahn
07-07-2010, 11:55 AM

CLF is a ho...

sanjuro_ronin
07-07-2010, 11:58 AM
CLF is a ho...

I knew this chinese hooker named Choy....

David Jamieson
07-07-2010, 12:01 PM
I knew this chinese hooker named Choy....

really, I know her sister..Li...

lol

Hardwork108
07-07-2010, 01:37 PM
really, I know her sister..Li...

lol

And I used to go out their wooden legged sister who had only one "Fut"...:D

I know, I know, but I tried to make fit as best as I could....:o