PDA

View Full Version : Mantis 7 & Bamboo Leaf

8StepStudent
08-26-2000, 12:31 AM
Mantis 7 I read you outburst in another topic, innovation... I see you use Thai boxing too... What kick does Thai boxing have that Mantis doesn't. Sure we learn Tai Chi and Praying Mantis, but the techniques are very similar just a different way to use them. Besides all martial arts are derived from the CMA so if anything Thai boxing got that kick from the Chinese, so I wouldn't necessarily call it "crosstraining." Also Master Sun has not been to many tournaments if any since his younger years, so... As for Bamboo Leaf in your post in that topic you made it sound like Master Sun is a bad guy when you talked about that Karate crosstraining scenario. That was quite offensive I must say. I have personally met Master Sun and he is a very nice person. I did not right this to take shots at people just something to raise an eyebrow so to say.

[This message has been edited by 8StepStudent (edited 08-26-2000).]

mantis7
08-26-2000, 06:13 PM
well since I am work I will make this short...

There cut kicks to the thigh even though mantis has it I have never seen a mantis stylist use it ...( except my SHifu) i may be wrong I just like the way they use it and the dynamics of motion behind it they way the use there elbows ..and just because a martial art came from CMA things can be improved upon example would be the kuntao silat I never have seena CMA artist use a bladed weapon the way a silat artist does...
but like I say that is my opinion.... tai chi and mantis does have similarities but the way they both produce enrgy and movement is very diffrent but they are similar enough to help unlock doors in both styles.....

Victor

bamboo_ leaf
08-26-2000, 07:26 PM
Actually No, I met SiFu Sun, and as I said he was very carfule about his art and the people he would share it with, thire may have been some other issues with this person.

It was a while ago, he had a place in SF and used to train in golden gate park.

He seemed like a really cool guy who had some strong ideas on CMA and could back them up.

Anyone who is able to study from him directly is very lucky.

------------------
enjoy life

bamboo leaf