PDA

View Full Version : new jow recipe book

teetsao
07-09-2010, 12:23 PM
I am proud to announce the release of my first first book in a 2 vol. set,authored with a friend, "Ancient martial formulas for health and healing". This first vol. includes 56 external formulas.some of the most popular and secretive, iron palm and all purpose dit da jow formulas are presented in this book in their entirety.

corrected link
https://www.createspace.com/3462267

www.theironlotussociety.com

Lucas
07-09-2010, 12:26 PM
the first link is broken for me.

teetsao
07-09-2010, 12:29 PM
yes sorry i am working on it.

teetsao
07-09-2010, 12:39 PM
ok sorry ,here is the purchase link. it will also be available through amazon in a week or so and on our website.

TenTigers
07-09-2010, 12:48 PM
very cool!
Out of curiosity, are the formulas in hanzi, or romanized Manderin, or latin?

teetsao
07-09-2010, 12:54 PM
most are in pin yin,but some in the chinese characters. we designed it to ba taken to any chinese herbalist to get the formuloas filled.
included are some of the most popular formulas,such as the ku yu cheong,wong fei hung,chan ning tong and ark y. wong, along with many others. this is the first time this has ever been released to the public. the next vol. will be all of the internal formulas,some never before seen in the public.

Faruq
07-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Will a Chinese herbalist be able to fill pin yin recipes? I've only been able to have recipes with Chinese characters filled.

teetsao
07-09-2010, 01:36 PM
yes, if they want to. alot of them pretend not to read pin yin, kinda funny. my herbalsit told me if the herbalist is legit they can fill it. if they say they cant read the pin yin, then you read it to them. 1 ingrediant at a time. they can fill it,if they want to. there are also numerous sites on the web.

woliveri
07-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Many older Chinese cannot read pinyin. They were never taught. My good friend, a Chinese Medical Doctor from Nanjing who is 50 years old cannot read pinyin.

I've also had herb shops hesitate at filling an external herb formula because of the fact that one of the herbs was poisonous if taken internally. He had to make sure I knew what I was doing before he gave it to me.

Many Laowai come to herb stores with absolutely no understanding of what they're looking for and it's use so many herb store owners are naturally cautious, worried about being sued.

teetsao
07-09-2010, 02:08 PM
you are probably right to a certain extent. this is why we wrote the book, to educate on the formulas and so the layperson can learn enough to go to the herbalist and show they know what they are getting.
very few things are poisnous in jow formulas.

woliveri
07-09-2010, 02:13 PM
you are probably right to a certain extent. this is why we wrote the book, to educate on the formulas and so the layperson can learn enough to go to the herbalist and show they know what they are getting.
very few things are poisnous in jow formulas.

Just curious, where do these formulas come from, how many are there in the book, and how should we, the purchaser of the book, know what the quality of these formulas are?

50.00 plus shipping is not cheap.

I've seen many jow books before from the 80s, none of which were that great in content.

Thanks,

teetsao
07-09-2010, 02:32 PM
your reservations and concerns are legit.
there are 60 plus formulas in the book. they all come from the schools they were originated in. they include the ku yu cheong,wong fei hung,ark y. wong,ho chun,fukien shaolin and many many more.
this is the first time these formulas have been available to the public. now that being said, there will always be variations of formulas as some schools adjust the formulas according to their need and availability of herbs. i inclkuded one formula that is from fukien shaolin that has been,as far as we know,unchanged for hundreds of years. many formulas have to be changed.you do realize that the original ku yu cheong conatained bear paw? that will obviously not be included in the formula. we gave the formulas that can be filled legitamtely. all ineage based

Faruq
07-09-2010, 07:29 PM
If these are all Chinese formulas from Chinese martial arts, why did you change them from the Chinese to just pin yin. I could understand Chinese characters with pin yin next to them, but just pin yin? The average gwai lo slaughters the tones when reading pin yin beyond recognition. I guess it's probably pretty late to ask this question now that the book's already printed though. Oh well.

teetsao
07-09-2010, 10:19 PM
well we thought about that. it would have just delayed us a little longer than i wanted to wait. besides,how many praqctitioners out there read chinese?we wrote the book for the average kung fu practitioner who wanted the formulas and wanted to learn them. it is not enough to just get the formula filled,you need to study the herbs. the herbs are listed in the materia medica in pin yin, not the chinese characters. this way you can get to know the formulas you use. you should have no trouble getting the formulas filled at any chinese herbalist.
on another note,the formulas listed in this book are worth waaaaay,more than the cover price. one of those formulas, (the chan ning tong) sold to someone i know a few years ago for 200.00 alone. ho chun charges 350.00 for their formula and you dont get the formula,just a bag of herbs, another internet supplier would charge 300.00 fo the written ku yu cheong formula. if price is a concern and i realize times are rough, then this book probably isnt for you anyway. people who know these formulas for what they are know this is a very,fair price. there is not another book out there with this many of the most famous formulas,from as many different styles in kung fu.
there are other books out there,most out of print,that ave good formulas in them,but not like this. james rhamholz book now sells for 200-250$ on amazon,if you can find it.

woliveri
07-10-2010, 04:37 AM
on another note,the formulas listed in this book are worth waaaaay,more than the cover price. one of those formulas, (the chan ning tong) sold to someone i know a few years ago for 200.00 alone. ho chun charges 350.00 for their formula and you dont get the formula,just a bag of herbs, another internet supplier would charge 300.00 fo the written ku yu cheong formula. if price is a concern and i realize times are rough, then this book probably isnt for you anyway. people who know these formulas for what they are know this is a very,fair price. there is not another book out there with this many of the most famous formulas,from as many different styles in kung fu.
there are other books out there,most out of print,that ave good formulas in them,but not like this. james rhamholz book now sells for 200-250$ on amazon,if you can find it.

Hey, we don't know you and should have every right to question the quality of the formulas in this book. You should not come off with a "price to high then the book is not for you" comment, makes you look kocky and pompous.

In addition, while these are "Jow" formulas, they are not Iron Palm formulas, correct? I've certainly heard of Iron palm formulas going for a high price but not "jow" formulas (just me, could be they're out there). But to put it into perspective, my Tai mantis teacher (who would not take money for his instruction) gave me a great jow formula (also would not take any money for it). Part of the reason for some high priced formulas is marketing and hype. Others are probably worth it. I hope yours are as you say.

I think it's great that someone has come forward with a book such as yours. If it's everything you say it is then it's worth the money.

Good luck with the book sales. Hope to hear a review soon.

TenTigers
07-10-2010, 06:51 AM
In NYC's Chinatown, most herbalists speak Cantonese and read hanzi-NOT pinyin romanization of Manderin. I don't know of any Chinese people who read romanized Manderin, except maybe ABC's who don't speak the language.

These would have to be translated from the latin name for the herb into Hanzi in order to fill them.
Also, why leave out ingredients such as bear paw? Some of us hunt and come by it legally. If you are going to publish historical formulas, then keep them in their original form. By editing out what you feel are unneccesary, you have now destroyed their legacy.

teetsao
07-10-2010, 11:01 AM
sorry dont mean to sound ****y.it is not my intention to insult or belittle anyone as i am a fellow practitionjer myself,and have the utmost respect for all arts and people.
it has been a long time since i have posted as i dont go to chat/forum sites hardly at all,i guess i expected people to remember me.
yes,21 of the formulas contained in the book are iron palm specific jows. 16 are injury jows,powders and pastes. 10 all purpose,2 hand soaks,9 specialty jows and 6 jows from the public domain that were in some way printed in a magazine in years past,all in one book.
woliveri,it is great you have such a teacher, as i do i, he charges me nothing as long as i work hard.

i will reintroduce my self,again sorry. i am rod morgan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSYuOr_zfYw

http://www.youtube.com/user/tao123chi

teetsao
07-10-2010, 11:08 AM
ten tigers, i agree with you somewhat,as i live close to tenn. where bear is still hunted, but the bear paw inclusion is just superstition. i have talked to more than 1 herbalist,including mike biggie(pericing hammer on this board) and he assured me,it was not needed and useless. in modern times we see things differently. it is like using tiger bone,we left that in but a substitution should be made as it is unethical to use tiger bone in formulas,seeing the almost extiction of the animal. as time goes on we find out more and more about these formulas using modern science. now that being said,i dont think science has all the answers either, but when it comes to some of these herbs, it does.
i have not destroyed any legacy,i have given the formulas in the form they need to be used in without any superstition,just good high quality fomrulas from many styles all in one book.

woliveri
07-10-2010, 12:48 PM
sorry dont mean to sound ****y.it is not my intention to insult or belittle anyone as i am a fellow practitionjer myself,and have the utmost respect for all arts and people.
it has been a long time since i have posted as i dont go to chat/forum sites hardly at all,i guess i expected people to remember me.
yes,21 of the formulas contained in the book are iron palm specific jows. 16 are injury jows,powders and pastes. 10 all purpose,2 hand soaks,9 specialty jows and 6 jows from the public domain that were in some way printed in a magazine in years past,all in one book.
woliveri,it is great you have such a teacher, as i do i, he charges me nothing as long as i work hard.

i will reintroduce my self,again sorry. i am rod morgan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSYuOr_zfYw

http://www.youtube.com/user/tao123chi

Hey Rod, thanks for those videos and formula outline. As you have mentioned it the book would certainly be worth the 50.00 as I see it.

On a side note I had totally forgotten those training techniques in the first video (Iron Bar, Rolling the weight up on the short stick, etc). That was my training back in the 80s. Good stuff.

Thanks again,

teetsao
07-12-2010, 01:10 PM
i forgot to add,i included 5 different sources for herbs in the back of the book. all are friends of mine and run their own herb supply companies,and could fill any of the formulas in the 2 books. they are all acomplished herbalists in their own right. if anyone has anymore questions about the book or formulas in the book,feel free to ask.

David Jamieson
07-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Many Laowai come to herb stores with absolutely no understanding of what they're looking for and it's use so many herb store owners are naturally cautious, worried about being sued.

Most people go to a doctor without a clue of what they are looking for or what is wrong with them. I don't think that's exclusive to non-chinese.

Look at a western pharmacy, the equivalent of sorts to the apothecary of the east.

If you don't have a prescription, you really aren't going to get anything. lol

I would think the same is true of someone going to an apothecary.

sanjuro_ronin
07-13-2010, 11:35 AM
I am proud to announce the release of my first first book in a 2 vol. set,authored with a friend, "Ancient martial formulas for health and healing". This first vol. includes 56 external formulas.some of the most popular and secretive, iron palm and all purpose dit da jow formulas are presented in this book in their entirety.

corrected link

www.theironlotussociety.com

Don't wanna be an ass, but you got the permission to put this out to the public, right?
Nice website by the way, good stuff.

teetsao
07-13-2010, 02:30 PM
first off thanx for the compliments on the site.
you are not being an ass, you are asking a legitimate question.
these formulas presented in the book were given to me and my partner,so that makes them my property to with as i see fit. no one can copywrite herbal formulas as they are a part of nature and only GOD has a copywrite on that.
funny thing is,we found out after looking at so many formulas,many are the same thing,and so many schools think they have a "secret" formula and some other school has the exact formula,but because very few schools share,they dont know it. one story in particular stands out, we received a closed door bak mei i.p. formula from a very generous man whom we traded formulas with. when we looked at it,we realized it was the northern shaolin formula made famous by ku yu cheong,exactly. so they thought they had a secret formula,but in reality it was one used by many schools. there are only so many ways to combine herbal formulas,then it just becomes redundant.we decided to put these formulas in the public so as to dispell myths and so called secrets, as secrets do not further the art. funny thing,a chinese herbalist told me once when i had him look at a "secret" formula,that only in the west do we think of these formjulas as secret,that most had been published in books in china at some point. the whole secret formulas thing was eavily propogated back in the 80s by schools such as green dragon studios and ho chun. they charged hundreds of dollars for formulas that only cost 25.00 and told people they were secret and no one else had them,when peter chan was selling his formula openly to the public in san francisco for 25.00. this is what hurts kung fu. it stops people from being able to afford jow formulas they need to train with. what we give in this book is freedom, the freedom to get the formulas you want filled where you want,when you want,and not have to pay hundreds.
in reality we couldnt even keep something as big as the atom bomb a secret how could we keep jow formulas secret??

sanjuro_ronin
07-14-2010, 05:49 AM
these formulas presented in the book were given to me and my partner,so that makes them my property to with as i see fit. no one can copywrite herbal formulas as they are a part of nature and only GOD has a copywrite on that.
funny thing is,we found out after looking at so many formulas,many are the same thing,and so many schools think they have a "secret" formula and some other school has the exact formula,but because very few schools share,they dont know it. one story in particular stands out, we received a closed door bak mei i.p. formula from a very generous man whom we traded formulas with. when we looked at it,we realized it was the northern shaolin formula made famous by ku yu cheong,exactly. so they thought they had a secret formula,but in reality it was one used by many schools. there are only so many ways to combine herbal formulas,then it just becomes redundant.we decided to put these formulas in the public so as to dispell myths and so called secrets, as secrets do not further the art. funny thing,a chinese herbalist told me once when i had him look at a "secret" formula,that only in the west do we think of these formjulas as secret,that most had been published in books in china at some point. the whole secret formulas thing was eavily propogated back in the 80s by schools such as green dragon studios and ho chun. they charged hundreds of dollars for formulas that only cost 25.00 and told people they were secret and no one else had them,when peter chan was selling his formula openly to the public in san francisco for 25.00. this is what hurts kung fu. it stops people from being able to afford jow formulas they need to train with. what we give in this book is freedom, the freedom to get the formulas you want filled where you want,when you want,and not have to pay hundreds.
in reality we couldnt even keep something as big as the atom bomb a secret how could we keep jow formulas secret??

Thanks Rodney, I appreciate what you are saying and I know as a devote Christian that "doing what we know is wrong" is not an option :)
It's just that you hear so much stories about A stealing from B that we all end up worrying about that stuff.
You guys keep up the good work and follow the "road less traveled" and my Our Beloved Lord keep you and strengthen you always.

Martial knowledge doesn't belong to US, we merely are its caretakers till we pass it one to someone else.

Dale Dugas
07-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Not being a Christian but a Taoist who seeks to live by a code of Four Virtues, I strive to offer the same thing as my friend Rodney does. I have an extremely hard time with anyone who misrepresents themselves or flat out deceives others for gain or profit of any kind.

Way too many people out there on the West Coast and East Coast with very questionable legitimate herbal educational backgrounds offering Chinese herbal products and marking them up 300% to make money rather than actually help the people in need.

This is why I started CDIA Supplies (http://www.coilingdragon.com) in the first place due to all these bad people who sell Chinese herbs to people and not only rip them off but give Chinese medicine a very bad name.

That is how I met Rodney in the first place. He contacted me as he wanted to know more information about a formula that he had purchased from a West Coast herb supplier. This supplier had sold him a well known and strong iron palm formula.

Rodney sent me two little sandwich bags full of herbs that were not even the herbs in the real formula he was seeking. I was shocked and disgusted that this supplier (who I had known at the time, and due to this and other incidents I severed all ties professional and personal) could actually take someones money and send them something that was NOT what the customer had ordered in good faith.

I made an impression on Rodney as I sent him back a huge bag of herbs that weighed 5 pounds. Which was the correct formula and the actual amount needed to make it properly. I remember when he got the package and contacted me, he was amazed.

As I mentioned before, there are lots of charlatans and fakes out there masquerading as trained herbalists. Caveat Emptor....

I am not, and strive to help people according to their own needs. This being one of the Four Virtues of the Li Jia Xin Fu Dao, I live by.

Let me know how I can be of service to anyone here on the forum.

Faruq
07-14-2010, 07:52 AM

Unfortunately, many times people tell you it's the "super secret" formula used in their system but it's really just a general formula or a formula well known to the public too.

And I should clarify. I'm just saying this because I've been mislead before like the Bak Mei guy mislead you, but it probably cost me more. I don't trade formulas because they don't belong to me (if someone wants one I tell them to contact the sifu that sold it to me), so I paid cash each time.

Also, those slabs break for you like twigs and you don't seem to have any callouses like in the Hapkido guy's iron palm video or deformities like the Japanese guy in the "the ugly hands of iron palm" video. So if you've developed your power and conditioning using only the formulas in this book as they are presented in the book with no changes, we should probably all grab a copy!

teetsao
07-14-2010, 12:11 PM
thank all of you for your support. first let me say dale is right,i met him because 5 years ago i bought what i thought was the chan ning tong from a popular west coast herb supplier. now whetther he was mislead or not,all i got was a small bag of herbs that would barely make a half gal. much less a gal. or more. dale told me to send the herbs to him, he looked it over,added the missing ingredients,7 herbs if my memeory serves me correctly,treated them,then sent them back and would only accpet shipping charges and no more. so he went out of his way to help me get the right formula,to which i am very grateful. then over the last 4 years i have collected and asked questions and made contacts. all the formulas i have have been given to me or traded for. we decicided to release this book so all can have access to what we have.
"faruq" yes i use the formulas in the book,specifically the chan ning tong, which is one of my top 3 favorite.It has been called a "true iron palm" formula by mike biggie.
i have some calluses on my palms but that just comes with it,and i am a man you know,LOL, but seriously the jows realy help in proplonging your training and protecting your hands from future damage,because after all we are hitting steel shot/iron ore with our bare hands. the body has the amazing ability to adapt to almost anything,and the jow helps to speed and prolong the process
."sanjro-ronin" thanx for your support good to see a bro. on here. i saw quite disturbing things from gene ching and others on a discussion about a pic of jesus and some girl on a playboy cover. i will not get involved in that discussion,LOL, but i will say this, "be not deceived! for GOD is not mocked,whatever a man soweth,that shall he also reap".

PlumDragon
07-14-2010, 01:00 PM
I am one of the contributors of formulas for this book and I am proud to see it come to fruition and Ive already had herbal orders from people wanting formulas from the book filled.

Rod has set forth to offer something that is very valuable here. Ive given him my personal opinions at length as to why a book like this is necessary and I support this endeavour 100%, and all of you should too. The age of secrets in martial arts is fortunately coming to an end and this book is a first big step, which is why I decided to donate non-public formuals to it and am also contributing to the up-coming internal formulas volume.

If you are a martial artist and have an interest in dit da formulas, there is no other published work out there that you will enjoy as this book; Rod has ran formuals by me to make sure the herb names are easily understood--none of the mistakes or misspellings that were purposely done on recipes in the past. Straightforward and valuable info here. Really, the price is quite reasonable..

Im behind you on this 100% Rod!

woliveri
07-14-2010, 03:05 PM
To PlumDragon and Dale Dugas,

Doesn't a book like this hurt your business? Or, do you have other formulas which are considered superior to those in this book?

How does a book like this benefit or not hurt you guys?

Thanks,

PlumDragon
07-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Doesn't a book like this hurt your business? Or, do you have other formulas which are considered superior to those in this book?

How does a book like this benefit or not hurt you guys?No, I dont think the book hurts business--how do you figure it would hurt business, rather than help?

While there are recipes that I sell that dont show up in the book, every one will have their own preference; we all like different things and consumers still have to get their herbs somewhere. And so my customers can fill any recipe (in the book or not) with me via half-gallons, herb packs, or just whole raw herbs, and if I get enough requests about making something premade that we dont yet premake, Ill just add it to the product line. Bottom line, I receive new formulas from customers wanting them filled, almost daily. At some point you just realize that its jsut another formula and its really quite trivial. Whats important is to provide the consumer with what they wnat, not attempt to charge them more because nobody else knows the secret recipe.

Ultimately, the secrecy is ridiculous and Ive somewhat passively resisted the proliferation of the hidden aspects of TCM and Kung Fu in general, which is why I put up the PD public recipe page, which by the way Ive received accolades on from literally hundreds of people. So business aside, its something I feel strongly about and Im positive that I will continue to increase sales, perhaps even at a faster rate than ever, due to both my connection with Rod as well as other projects in the future that will continue to dispel mystery and provide the consumer with the tools that those in the past have so selfishly held back...

Dale Dugas
07-14-2010, 03:30 PM
I have over 300 formulas that I have been given to me from old school herbalists. I am not worried about not having different formulas that people might want to experience.

I can also treat certain herbs and make my formulas work better than those who do not. Many people do not believe in Pao Zhi Fa, but that is where I make formulas that are different from most.

I cook my medicines that I sell as premade and they are different than those that are cold soaked.

I can tweak any and all formulas with my training as well as the education I am getting from Acupuncture school.

I have no issues with the book. I look forward to being able to offer the formulas included at better prices than any of the other suppliers listed in it, and yes, I am one of the included Chinese herbal suppliers. hint hint, I will beat everyone elses prices....

I am actually thinking of working with Rod and creating a version of the book with all the Han Zi needed for you to take the formulas to a Chinese herbalist.

I have tweaked many formulas with my knowledge and made them my own.

Herbalism is an art, and if you know certain concepts you can create stronger formulas if you understand the concepts involved and create customized formulas.

I can and will work with anyone who wants to customize a formula for training.

jmd161
07-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Let me know how I can be of service to anyone here on the forum.

Although do to work, time constraints, and other issues... I never got to meet Dale while I lived in Boston or the several times I've been back... I can attest that he is everything he says he is! I've talked to Dale on the phone and through email and he was always willing and ready to meet or help. Never had a problem reaching the guy it was just my slave to my job mentality that kept me from meeting up with him every time we made plans.:(

Dale Dugas
07-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Thank you for the kind words brother.

You are always welcome to come visit when you are in town.

teetsao
07-14-2010, 04:12 PM
again,wolf and i could have put the formulas in the book in the chinese characters,as we have 99% of the formulas in chinese characters and my herbalist would write any of them for me. we made most available just exactly the way we received them,no changes. also with them in pin yin, YOU, can learn the formulas,which is important. dont just go buy a formula not knowing anything about it. learn the formula you use. learn the herbs,their names and how to identify them and what their actions are in the formula. become educated on the herrbal formulas you use so you can pass it on as it is a dieing art.

woliveri
07-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks PlumDragon and Dale for your replies.

I think this is a new age and a welcome one at that. From my exprience in the Chinese Martial Arts stemming from the early 80s, the secrecy thing really burned my azz and caused me to all but give up Chinese Martial Arts, moving into the Qigong area, and as such have developed a very cynical attitude towards the entire Traditional Chinese Martial art world. So I think it's great that you guys have stuck to it and have emerged unscathed with good, positive attitudes. I wish all would do as such.

On a separate note, Dale I admire you for keeping with the TCM Studies but having done the math, I have absolutely no idea how you are going to recover the enormous cost you must have incurred to complete your education. This is another thing that burns my rear, the massive cost of studying Chinese Medicine in the states which is why I've often suggested to others to go to China to study. If I were younger I would love to complete such an education (were the cost reasonable).

Best,

Bill

Dale Dugas
07-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Bill,

Thank you for the kind words.

This is something I need to do, as the yang side of myself is trained well, now it is time to train the yin side and help others who need it.

We all have debt, and I gladly accept it.

I could not do anything else. I get to teach Kung Fu as well as heal those who need help.

Nothing wrong with trying to be balanced in a unbalanced world.

Wolfgang Kruger
07-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Greetings all:
Just wanted to set straight one of the things mentioned here, the Books are not "Being Re-done" by anyone. They are presented exactly the way Rod and myself envisioned them.
I can however, understand some People wanting to be a part of History in the Making :)
Regards,
-Wolfgang

Faruq
07-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Yeah, it's seems in life some people just meet the right people they need to in order to fullfill their dreams and other people search and search as they may and just meet charlatans, or meet real people who just never end up teaching them the real stuff. I think people lik Dale, Garry Hearfield, the guys at Pak Met dot net, etc. have all just been so fortunate in life in that respect.

Thanks PlumDragon and Dale for your replies.

I think this is a new age and a welcome one at that. From my exprience in the Chinese Martial Arts stemming from the early 80s, the secrecy thing really burned my azz and caused me to all but give up Chinese Martial Arts, moving into the Qigong area, and as such have developed a very cynical attitude towards the entire Traditional Chinese Martial art world. So I think it's great that you guys have stuck to it and have emerged unscathed with good, positive attitudes. I wish all would do as such.

On a separate note, Dale I admire you for keeping with the TCM Studies but having done the math, I have absolutely no idea how you are going to recover the enormous cost you must have incurred to complete your education. This is another thing that burns my rear, the massive cost of studying Chinese Medicine in the states which is why I've often suggested to others to go to China to study. If I were younger I would love to complete such an education (were the cost reasonable).

Best,

Bill

teetsao
07-19-2010, 01:00 PM
i would like to thank "socal78"for his purchase of the book. he will hopefully be reveiwing it on the forum after he receives it and looks it over. thanx again.

Yuanshen Man
07-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Good Book!!! It has allot of formulas in it. Its about time someone has done it !!!!! Their are no secrets now !!!!! Everyone in martial arts Who studies Iron Palm,should have a copy of this book . It has allot of good Information ....

TenTigers
07-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Good Book!!! It has allot of formulas in it. Its about time someone has done it !!!!! Their are no secrets now !!!!! Everyone in martial arts Who studies Iron Palm,should have a copy of this book . It has allot of good Information ....
good point.
on a side note, I've always wondered why no one includes the chi-gung required to learn iron palm....

PlumDragon
07-29-2010, 09:23 AM
on a side note, I've always wondered why no one includes the chi-gung required to learn iron palm...I know many disagree with me but my feeling is that the qigong is the easiest part to hold over students' heads or for people to claim others dont have "the real thing" because they dont do the right qigong routine...but its not rocket science, or even anything close.

Coincidentally, while it may be helpful in the healing process, etc IMO its also the least necessary piece of the puzzle in forging the hand and producing a great deal of power.

woliveri
07-29-2010, 10:48 AM
I know many disagree with me but my feeling is that the qigong is the easiest part to hold over students' heads or for people to claim others dont have "the real thing" because they dont do the right qigong routine...but its not rocket science, or even anything close.

Well, I've seen all sides of this for a long time and I've come to the conclusion that some people just can't grasp the concepts of qigong and therefore are led around because of it. 悟性【wùxìng】 power of understanding, is very important.

Coincidentally, while it may be helpful in the healing process, etc IMO its also the least necessary piece of the puzzle in forging the hand and producing a great deal of power.

Depends on the exercise, IMO....

:)

Faruq
07-29-2010, 11:55 AM
I am actually thinking of working with Rod and creating a version of the book with all the Han Zi needed for you to take the formulas to a Chinese herbalist.

I think that'll be another one we'll all have to buy, so be sure and post that one here too once it's available.

Wolfgang Kruger
07-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
I think that'll be another one we'll all have to buy, so be sure and post that one here too once it's available.

It Won't be. The Book is not Being "Redone". The book does contain some HanZi, , as we decided not to put them all up that way, but we could have if we wanted too.We could of offered all the Formulas that way, and without Dales help. Dale's only Involvement with these books, is that we have listed Him as a Herb Source, Personally, as I have had no Herbal dealings with Dale, I tell everyone that asks me, to go to Sea Of Chi, Master Thomas Joiner, Or Josh from PlumDragon,
but Any of the Listed Sources can Properly fill any of the Formulas we have included in these Books.
HTH!
-Wolfgang

blj_swmo
08-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks Rodney and Wolfgang for publishing your text of Jow formulas! I can attest that gaining knowledge of "folk" Chinese Herbalism is rough going. I too have had my pocket picked several times by unscrupulous persons- including a couple of my "trusted" teachers. I learned a little Chinese herbalism while studying acupuncture and martial arts but I have always wanted to learn much more about hit medicine.

Plum Dragon (Josh I believe) and Dale...KUDOS for you two too:) It is nice to know that there are herbal suppliers out there NOT ripping people off. When I lived in Houston, TX I used to pay about $8-$35 (depending on recipe) for enough raw herbs too make a gallon of Jow. I really do miss living across the street from 3 Chinese Herbal Pharmacies. Now I have to powder my own San Qi:eek:

And from personal experience I know that Han Zi will greatly aid the Chinese herbalist filling ones prescription...

Ten Tigers: I have never hunted bear but I have used parts of deer that I have legally harvested to make wine and hit jow. Who needs Viagra when you have 80 proof deer "male-member" wine:D Steven Seagal can keep his powder...

teetsao
08-04-2010, 02:44 PM
LOL,excellent. what is your reference to steven segal and powder?? i dont know much about him.

blj_swmo
08-04-2010, 08:14 PM
LOL,excellent. what is your reference to steven segal and powder?? i dont know much about him.

Rodney, if you ever have time to waste watch a semi-terrible movie he made called the "Glimmer Man" and you will understand the joke about the powdered deer "member":confused: BTW he also studied at Ark Wong's for a little over 3 years when he was in his late teens/early 20's.

Good luck with your Iron palm video too- I look forward to being able to purchase a copy when it is available.

Best,

BJ

teetsao
08-06-2010, 02:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtvRJqh502g

Wolfgang Kruger
01-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Just wanted to drop a "Update note", that I personally have switched my Herb supplier
to Coiling Dragon , and that Dale offers great herbs at a fair price, with great Customer service.
-Wolfgang

Dale Dugas
01-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Wolfgang,

Thank you for the kind words.

I try and get the highest quality herbs at the best prices to those interested.

I will beat anyone's prices on any formula from the Ancient Martial Formula's book.

Why mess with other suppliers with little or no background when you can get an 30+ year martial artists who is also an Herbalist getting his MAOM (Masters in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine) this coming August.

curenado
01-08-2011, 06:48 PM
I agree that there seems to be a big gouging problem. What we handle has to be organic and lab certified - even at the premium, a $2 cancer tea sells for $25 commonly and from what I can see, it is the same and worse in Jow-world.

We could make these up from the formulary because we have a text that translates. (I don't know the link, but can e-mail you one. Title is "Chinese and related North American herbs)

I went over to the Coiling Dragon. Since I couldn't see formulas, it is hard to comment on the compounds beyond saying that any multi-component is going to be that price and more (often much more...) but I did go to the herbs area and those prices are cheaper on many things than what you will see on the market.

People may not be experts, but they should be able to expect significant benefits quickly. The whole US is also on a organic and certified move and so even farms and people like us who use growers are gearing that way. It helps with the problem of "some" big and well known distributors selling a "substitute" without telling the customer.

I also agree that if you are new it is good to consult with someone who has more knowledge and experience. The more powerful and effective a formula is, usually the more important it is to know the "rules" of it and stay within parameters.

We don't have any Jow recipes. Maybe we should get a copy of this formulary and explore them....

(found a google books link for online viewing: http://books.google.com/books?id=ueo69HPjSRsC&printsec=frontcover&dq=chinese+and+related+north+american+herbs&source=bl&ots=iIj59_fwgq&sig=lLf855cOfMgbJTfD7QeHL61BDww&hl=en&ei=kxYpTfX8AoKKlwfAyLGVAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

raycovers
02-09-2011, 11:16 AM
(I've sent a PM to Rodney but it seems it didn't get through
maybe a newbie can't send a PM... I don't know.)

I'm interested in this one of a kind book of external jow
formulas. However, I'd really like to know whether
the Ho Family (Mike Biggie's mod) recipe is in the book.

I practice wuzuquan (five ancestors fist) and banging
hands is part of my routines. I currently use commercial
jows to treat the bruises and swellings only to find that
they're almost non-effective, i.e. I can't get fully healed
in a week, so it only got worsen and worsen each week.

Lately I was exposed to Ho Family (Mike Biggie's mod) jow
that seems to get rave reviews from its users, everyone
vouch for this product. However, purchasing them in
bottles or in herb packs is not an option because I live
in South East Asia, the shipping would cost a lot and
the customs don't let this kind of stuff get in easily.

So, if the Ho Family formula is covered in the book
it would help me A LOT and I'd be forever grateful :)

Thanks a bunch,
Ray

Wolfgang Kruger
02-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Hello Ray:
Yes, the Formula is in the Book.
-Wolfgang