PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Northern Praying Mantis schools in Los Angeles

YellaDragon
07-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Greetings brothers and sisters of the arts, I hope all of you are well. Please forgive me if this is a topic that has been discussed and expounded upon previously. This is my second post and I have not been able to conduct a proper search upon this topic. I would like to know if anyone knows of any excellent northern praying mantis kung fu schools in Los Angeles County? Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. Be well and continue the pursuit of enlightenment and improvement

DBAC
07-14-2010, 03:27 PM
http://www.californiamartialarts.com/

Lineage:

Raymond Fogg / Lee Kam Wing
-----John Cheng
----------Bob Hung / Kingston Heng / Dong Thai

Radplaiddude
07-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Try Sifu Derick Wright out there

Three Harmonies
07-15-2010, 07:02 AM
Are you stuck on Mantis? Frankly speaking Tim Cartmell (http://www.shenwu.com) will blow away any CMA teacher in the So Cal area. Check him out!

Cheers
JAB

Luk Hop
07-15-2010, 11:49 AM
....blow away any CMA teacher in the So Cal area......

:rolleyes:

There are some Mantis practitioners in that area that I am sure are quite capable.

Three Harmonies
07-16-2010, 07:13 AM
No, actually there is not.

YellaDragon
07-16-2010, 08:55 AM
DBAC, Radplaiddude, and Three Harmonies, I appreciate the information. I will investigate and speak with the Sifu's you have mentioned. Luk Hop, I appreciate your opinion about the capabilities of Mantis practitioners as well lol

Luk Hop
07-16-2010, 11:51 AM
no, actually there is not.

lol................

gunglihchuan
07-16-2010, 02:51 PM
I have two suggestions for you in your search for Bak Tang Lang Chuan in the area of Los Angeles, CA.

Sifu Manuel Marquez teaches CCK Tai Chi Praying mantis, Seven Star Praying Mantis, and Bak Sil Lum. His students look good and his so fa techniques are good.
http://www.shaolinlomita.com/

http://sandiegokungfutaichi-com.doodlekit.com/home/about_our_trainers

The Chief instructor of this school learned his mantis from Sifu Tony Puyot. His schools only teach six hand forms and they really concentrate on the material. The style of northern mantis is Seven Star.

YellaDragon
07-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Lomita is approximately 45 minutes away from me but being in California, all of us are used to driving long distances lol I'll contact Sifu Marquez and obtain further information. The San Diego school looks great but that's roughly 2 1/2 hours away. As much as I like driving, I don't know if I can hang with that lol Take care and thanks again :)

gunglihchuan
07-16-2010, 05:12 PM
I understand about long commutes. Sifu Tony Puyot has a teacher in MA but he is also about 2 hours away from me.
It is a shame since his system and teaching methods are very good.
Good luck with your search.

Regards,

Steve

shaolin_allan
07-17-2010, 12:43 AM
I know of an excellent traditional style beishaolin quanmen sifu in the L.A. area. He teaches the complete 7 star system as well as some other northern styles. Here is his contact information

Bei Shaolin Health Academy
Los Angeles, California
Head Instructor: Sifu Dou Wanchun
Contact #: 213-598-6080
Email: beishaolin@aol.com

Msg me and let me know if you are able to get in touch with him. Good luck. I wish there were sifus like him available where I live.

YellaDragon
07-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Thank you so much for the contact information for Sifu Wanchun. I will definitely send him an email later today and if I am able to confer with him, I will absolutely message you to let you know what transpires. I will conduct a bit of research on my own to see what I can obtain but will hopefully have the opportunity to correspond with him further. Take care and thanks again :)

mooyingmantis
07-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Good Luck YellaDragon! Mantis is an excellent style!

Richard A. Tolson

YellaDragon
07-20-2010, 01:43 PM
I concur with your opinion. I want to learn Praying Mantis because it is far different from prior styles I have studied and I embrace new challenges.

YellaDragon
07-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Good morning Shaolin Allan,

I hope you are well. I have attempted to contact Sifu Wanchun via email and the phone number listed but have received no email reply. The number listed indicates the Verizon customer is unavailable and to please try again later, which I have done several times, but I receive that same message. Do you perhaps have another contact method for Sifu Wanchun? Take care and have a great day.

Best regards,

YellaDragon

KickingMantis
08-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Yella Dragon,

I hope your search for mantis have been fruitful. there are some great martial art teachers in Southern California of all levels and abilities and they all have something to offer for where you are now in your training. When and if you ever get to a level where you need more or surpass them, the secure ones will most likely refer you to someone that can take your training further. However, I am sure with most students that will not happen. If you are looking for mantis in particular there are few here with different teaching methods, approaches, cost and schedules. Most important you have to choose one you vibe and resonate with.

www.wrightskungfu.com
www.californiamartialarts.com
www.usmartialartsacademy.com

Sifu Marquez has a school in Lomita, CA and there are some other mantis schools around. You should google them

Some other great teachers other than Mantis is Master Kenneth Edwards in Pasadena,Ca (Eagle Claw). Master Don Hamby (Hung Gar), and many others. If you are interested in Shaolin, I can refer a good Shaolin Instructors as well.

If you need help send me a message privately and I can try and help you find what you are looking for.

"A true master understands when its important to speak and not to speak, act and not to act. He understands that words are like swords, you cut down, you get cut down. Only a child acts and speaks hastily, making assumptions and decisions without the full facts."

TaichiMantis
08-06-2010, 12:26 PM
You should check out Sifu Marquez!