PDA

View Full Version : Another kickboxing/wing chun thread

SavvySavage
07-17-2010, 07:09 AM
This thread is about angles of attacking and angle of entering. I was taught to always step 45 degrees to enter when someone attacks. Once again in sparring I have found this to be hard because people punch really fast. I saw a boxing drill once where if person A punched with his right lead and person B counter punched with his left while stepping back, and 45 degrees, with his right foot. This struck me ad similar to what I was taught in wc.

What I'm wondering is if you are actually supposed to change angle once you start hitting him and not before. I'm finding that, when I step 45 degrees, the person follows me and punches on that angle.

Is it unrealistic to step off the angle as you enter striking range to avoid his strike? I'm just wondering if I'm not stepping fast enough or if this concept is wrong.

Ultimatewingchun
07-17-2010, 03:09 PM
"Is it unrealistic to step off the angle as you enter striking range to avoid his strike? I'm just wondering if I'm not stepping fast enough or if this concept is wrong."

***THE CONCEPT only works against very committed punches (or kicks) coming in at you. Most good fighters are not going to telegragh and then deliver very committed strikes...
while leaving enough time for you to do the big 45 degree angle thing.

You can move slightly off line, but not as much as you've probably been taught.

Watch how boxers do it.

SavvySavage
07-17-2010, 04:15 PM
"Is it unrealistic to step off the angle as you enter striking range to avoid his strike? I'm just wondering if I'm not stepping fast enough or if this concept is wrong."

***THE CONCEPT only works against very committed punches (or kicks) coming in at you. Most good fighters are not going to telegragh and then deliver very committed strikes...
while leaving enough time for you to do the big 45 degree angle thing.

You can move slightly off line, but not as much as you've probably been taught.

Watch how boxers do it.

That was good information. Thanks

Hardwork108
07-18-2010, 02:11 AM
This thread is about angles of attacking and angle of entering. I was taught to always step 45 degrees to enter when someone attacks. Once again in sparring I have found this to be hard because people punch really fast.

Personally, when I find anything that is hard, then I just practice it a lot more.:)

You will find great rewards when you improve your angling skills.

I saw a boxing drill once where if person A punched with his right lead and person B counter punched with his left while stepping back, and 45 degrees, with his right foot. This struck me ad similar to what I was taught in wc.

There are sometimes similarities between martial arts.

What I'm wondering is if you are actually supposed to change angle once you start hitting him and not before. I'm finding that, when I step 45 degrees, the person follows me and punches on that angle.
It is a question of timing. You will need to angle when your opponent commits to his attack. Once the attack is made then your intercepting hand should be meeting his attack while your angling foot work is closely following behind, and while your other hand is heading to strike your opponent.

Again, this is a question of practice and building your reflexes. Of course, it is awkward but it is the art you have chosen to practice, and again once you improve your technique then it will be all worthwhile.

Is it unrealistic to step off the angle as you enter striking range to avoid his strike?
No, it is not, but you need to first wait for his attack, make contact/control, as you angle. Of course, very advanced practitioners will be able to do that without first blocking the attack.

The secret is not to make the first move, but wait for your opponent to commit.

I'm just wondering if I'm not stepping fast enough or if this concept is wrong.
There is nothing wrong with the concept. Sometimes the problem is not your speed but your timing within the context of your angling.

That is, there is no need to chase your opponent using WC angling (no chasing in Wing Chun). As this will make it easy for him to "follow" your angles and jam or launch a counter attack against you.

There are many secrets in kung fu, but one of the main ones is the constant practice and repetition of sometimes awkward techniques, while understanding correctly the concepts and principles of your chosen style ;)

That is the only way that you are going to make your kung fu (and your chosen style) come alive.

In my lineage of Wing Chun you don't counter attack without controlling first. To control you need to make contact or bridge. While you are doing that your footwork is taking you to your "destination". All of this could happen inside one second.

I would also humbly suggest that if you want to better learn and improve your Wing Chun, then it is a better idea to do so watching good Wing Chun exponents, if you have access to any (easier said, then done, nowadays), or closely following the teachings of your sifu, if he is good, than watching boxers.;)

Frost
07-18-2010, 04:39 AM
This thread is about angles of attacking and angle of entering. I was taught to always step 45 degrees to enter when someone attacks. Once again in sparring I have found this to be hard because people punch really fast. I saw a boxing drill once where if person A punched with his right lead and person B counter punched with his left while stepping back, and 45 degrees, with his right foot. This struck me ad similar to what I was taught in wc.

Is it unrealistic to step off the angle as you enter striking range to avoid his strike? I'm just wondering if I'm not stepping fast enough or if this concept is wrong.

when you 45 degree are you on the inside or outside of his attacking arms?

as pointed out angling is difficult without over commited attacks, not to mention moving inside on an attacking opponent is one of the hardest things to mentally do...it takes lots of time under pressure to be able to do this (you need to be able to stay calm, read his body and move at the right time, its something boxers develop because of the time spent sparring at that range)

thats why you see a lot of fights where the guys stays at the outside of range trading jabs and crosses circling each other, stepping in on a single over commited punch in training is one thing, doing the same in sparring when combinations are being thrown at you is something else entirely and extremly difficult to do