PDA

View Full Version : The RICHNESS of the TCMAs

Hardwork108
07-18-2010, 01:42 AM
Here is a very interesting video clip I came across that shows some of the many dimensions of the TCMAs:

zhaobao taiji tuishou , sanshou , and chinese jiao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP5IzhZUfaY&feature=related

Frost
07-18-2010, 04:03 AM
Here is a very interesting video clip I came across that shows some of the many dimensions of the TCMAs:

zhaobao taiji tuishou , sanshou , and chinese jiao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP5IzhZUfaY&feature=related

some nice grappling, some lovely arm drags in there :)

some of it looked like semi compliant stuff, you go i go kind of thing rather than straight out grappling, but some nice take downs and throws...although calling hitting the pads with the pad man throwing a few kicks san shou is a bit of a push

Dragonzbane76
07-18-2010, 06:43 AM
some stuff in there that's good, some ehhhh.. so so. Like anything else some diamonds and some crap. Take what you need.

Love shuai jaio, went and did the ohio shuai jaio tounament a couple years ago in cleveland, was a fun tournament. I think I met Oso there as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRv-bTc8C4E&feature=related

SevenStar
07-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Good stuff. looks like judo.

Hardwork108
07-19-2010, 01:57 AM
although calling hitting the pads with the pad man throwing a few kicks san shou is a bit of a push
Yes, what do the Chinese know about San Shou, I mean, after all they were the ones who invented it......

Hardwork108
07-19-2010, 02:00 AM
some stuff in there that's good, some ehhhh.. so so. Like anything else some diamonds and some crap.
Perhaps you should go to China and teach the stuff without the "crap"? :rolleyes:

Take what you need
You should follow your own advice and take some medication...:D

Hardwork108
07-19-2010, 02:06 AM
Anyway, what the video clip I posted showed was a training regime that included forms and their application, solo training, push hands (chi sao in other kung fu styles) and fighting training, including grappling and striking. That is, a holistic training program that maintained the essence of what these people practice.

Also, take note of the SOFTNESS of these exponents. You don't generally get this kind of softness from careless weight training, sparring and hitting the punch bag from day one.

Interesting clip, if I do say so myself......

Dragonzbane76
07-19-2010, 03:09 AM
Perhaps you should go to China and teach the stuff without the "crap"? perhaps i should!:)

Anyway, what the video clip I posted showed was a training regime that included forms and their application, solo training, push hands (chi sao in other kung fu styles) and fighting training, including grappling and striking. That is, a holistic training program that maintained the essence of what these people practice.

See after a comment of "holistic" people can see your lack of understanding. So when you look at the video do you see "grappling"? I've done shuai jaio
and it's not oriented in the sense of ground grappling. It's also set up for a sport orientation, almost same rule set as Judo, except that when you go to ground it is stood right back up and there is no going for the submition or lock. You cannot plum either.

So to say the "holistic" point of view then you are mistaken in that, (And I say it again) TCMA does not have a ground grappling orientation. Chin na is not a ground grappling orientation.

Frost
07-19-2010, 04:16 AM

Also, take note of the SOFTNESS of these exponents. You don't generally get this kind of softness from careless weight training, sparring and hitting the punch bag from day one.

how do you know, you have never lifted weights, sparred or hit aq punch bag :)

The only softness you saw was when they were doing compliant training, (you go i go), look at the clips of them actually grip fighting that was not soft at all, which shows when there is resistence softness goes out the window...you would know that if you actually did any grappling :)

Frost
07-19-2010, 04:18 AM
Yes, what do the Chinese know about San Shou, I mean, after all they were the ones who invented it......

yep and that wasnt it, that was pad work, now i know seeing as you have never trained san shou or sparred (or done pad work) you would not know the difference between the two, so your ignorance is forgiven :)

SevenStar
07-19-2010, 01:14 PM

softness? watch the SC clips again - the ones where they are not being compliant. There is A LOT of resistance. grappling ALWAYS has resistance involved. Hell, judo is called "the gentle way", but those who have trained it know there is nothing soft about it. IN THEORY, it should be soft, because you are using your opponent's energy against him. In reality, it is never that simple. I grapple all the time with people who have no grappling training whatsoever. when they push me and I pull to allow their energy to go where it wants, guess what they do? they pull back. it is human nature. you do not get dragged where you do not want to go. grappling training teaches you to deal with this. ideally i should be able to effortlessly throw you, but most times, I have to help you get thrown.

YouKnowWho
07-19-2010, 01:44 PM
This is the Japanses Judo principle, "to use the minimum effort to obtain the maximum result." We all like to invest $1 to obtain $1,000 in return. In reality sometime we will be glad that if we can invest $100 and get $110 in return. The Chinese SC just state in a very plain language, "SC is a sport of strength".

lkfmdc
07-19-2010, 01:47 PM
I always have viewed the "ju" in JUdo not as "soft" but rather "flexible"

very different meaning between those two words

Dragonzbane76
07-19-2010, 03:22 PM
This is the Japanses Judo principle, "to use the minimum effort to obtain the maximum result." We all like to invest $1 to obtain $1,000 in return. In reality sometime we will be glad that if we can invest $100 and get $110 in return. The Chinese SC just state in a very plain language, "SC is a sport of strength".

good explaination, good post.

SevenStar
07-19-2010, 03:49 PM

I agree 100% but what you just said is complete opposite of what HW108 stated.

sanjuro_ronin
07-20-2010, 05:33 AM
I have a bit of experience in Judo :D.
It is all about HOW and WHEN you apply STRENGTH.
The "ju" principle is the principle of "giving way", of "flexiblity", not flexibility n terms of splits or that kind of stuff but flexibility to give way to force and then apply the force of our own.
The old school Judoka always talked about the willow tree and how it g ave way to the snow and snapped back.
There is a reason that there are weight divisions in Judo and a Men and Womens division and even an age one.