PDA

View Full Version : "Eight Postures of Shaolin"

Aristocles
07-19-2010, 09:56 PM
First:

This is my first post, so, 'hello' to all.

In the book: "Asian Fighting Arts", on page 47, it states that plates 6,7 show "the eight basic postures of shaolin". These are demonstrated by Kao Fang-hsien, according to page 46. (Pages refer to the 1974 softcover edition.)

My question is exactly what is meant by "eight basic postures of shaolin"? It seems odd as thee are so many postures, styles, et. al., that I cannot get a fix on his meaning. He (the author of that section of text) does not seem to explain. Does it mean that these are the sort rudimentary postures upon which others are built?

I am an utter beginner although I spent a couple years in a very traditional TKD studio as a youth, so please bear with me.

I am an Aristotelian in the sense of believing that well begun is half done, so I am just doing conditioning basics and some reading. I spent most of my adult life as a competitive powerlifter and am now suffering somewhat, because of it- but one sacrifices for success, I suppose. I know have much weight to lose and am less than flexible. Anyway. . .

Thank you for your indulgence. Nice to be here

LFJ
07-20-2010, 06:29 PM
hi and welcome.

i'm not familiar with the book, but the term "eight postures of shaolin" brings to mind two possibilities. one is the "eight section brocade" (baduanjin) which is a shaolin qigong set of eight breathing and stretching exercises. the other is the eight basic stances (babu) which are taught by most traditional masters and studied as foundational postures upon which all else is built.

Aristocles
07-20-2010, 08:50 PM
The latter explanation makes perfect sense.

Thank you.

David Jamieson
07-21-2010, 05:52 AM
8 postures of shaolin is jingang bashi

see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS5ISjT1XqU

:)

GeneChing
07-21-2010, 10:19 AM
The one by Donn F. Draeger and Robert W. Smith? I'm not sure where my copy of that is right now. :o

Aristocles
07-21-2010, 11:32 AM
The one by Donn F. Draeger and Robert W. Smith? I'm not sure where my copy of that is right now. :o

That is precisely the one.

Lucas
07-21-2010, 04:29 PM
welcome aboard!

mickey
07-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Greetings and welcome,

I remember having the same confusion.

To answer your question, those are basic postures to build a foundation with. Check here for a much deeper explanation:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55877

mickey

cerebus
07-21-2010, 07:22 PM
No need for confusion. Those are simply the 8 basic postures used by many systems which are descended form Shaolin Chuan. I practice a version of them myself, though the postures will differ from one system to the next.

Aristocles
07-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks for welcome and explanation.

I have been trying to mimic precisely the two plates in the book. As one would figure they are similar but not completely simpatico with the ones shown in the link.

The hands in all but one are different, three of them involve punching with the fist. The "standing step" is clearly the "single-leg stance" in the link. However, my book has the elbow of the arm opposite the bent knee held very high and the fist of that hand touches or just hovers above the bent knee. There is also a "crouching step" which is a full squat with feet close together but one is pushed back with the heel raised, its knee is a little lower. The man looks to his right and punches with his right arm horizontally.; left hand is up and up took as a block, it appears. Two others I cannot see real close approximations of are known as the "lowering step" and the "'ting' step".

But I think I understand now.

I think that "Hung Gar" or a variant will be what I attempt to practice; knowing it will be all but impossible to make much headway on my own. Although, I suppose my TKD background of many years ago may aid some in the basics of certain stances and certain movements. I see things I clearly recognize.

Basically, this is a doomed effort but the ride will be interesting. :) Sadly, I doubt I will find any instructor here in west KY.

Royal Dragon
07-23-2010, 07:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsUNjIRuBXc