PDA

View Full Version : Siu Leem Tau vs Siu Leem

soulfist
07-22-2010, 11:02 AM
I watched a video recently of Taam Woon Biu talking about Wing Chun and Yip Man. He posed an interesting point...

In Chinese it is often said the first half of a form is called "tau" meaning head-end, and the second half of a form is called "mei" meaning tail-end. He said Yip Man didnt finish learning the form called Siu Leem, only the first half, and thus named it Siu Leem Tau.

It sounded interesting and logical when I first listened to it. But after thinking a bit I know there are many pre-Yip Man lineages who themselves say Siu Leem Tau and teach it up to the same point as Yip Man did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IEej1FpJwo

Any comments or opinions on this?

chusauli
07-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Nonsense!

The set was originally called "Siu Lien Tao/Xiao Lian Tao" (Small Training Set) in other lineages like Yik Kam, Yuen Kay Shan systems.

Yip Man changed it to be called "Siu Nim Tao/Xiao Nian Tou" (Little Contemplation/Recitation/Intention/Idea Foundation/Head).

Chan's WCK is there own version these days...clearly added on some Southern Siu Lam or local boxing along the way. Is it WCK body structure and signatures or Siu Lam's?

This is how you know the DNA of your system.

Tam Woon Biu's story is what he believes. WCK founded by Chi Sim (Jee Shim)? More stories!

soulfist
07-22-2010, 12:51 PM
I thought that may be the case but wanted to hear it from Wing Chun people who do their research.

He showed the 2nd half in that clip which didnt look like something special to me, not even like Wing Chun and seemingly not with the theme of the form.

Ji Sin isnt the founder you say? Who is the decided founder of Wing Chun?

Eric_H
07-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Ji Sin isnt the founder you say? Who is the decided founder of Wing Chun?

There ain't one that all lineages agree on.

anerlich
07-22-2010, 02:55 PM
I've learned quite a number of forms from other KF styles whose names end with Tau/Tao/...

Unless 80% of the KF forms in existence come in multiple pieces, I don't buy the premise regarding SLT.

chusauli
07-22-2010, 03:07 PM
I would say that if we take the odd founders (Unique only to their branch of WCK) and mythical founders (i.e. Jee Shim, Ng Mui) out, we're left with Wong Wah Bao.

Wong Wah Bao, following old sense of Chinese humility and propriety, would say it was someone else who was the founder...

As for the "legendary, missing second half" of Siu Nim Tao, you can see that was just tacked on. It is not consistent with what we know as Siu Nim Tao - the theme, the quietness, the development of structural power. Old timers spent a lifetime to the development of power from the structure...and to lose it so loosely with those random movements?

chusauli
07-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Anyone notice there is a Noi Huen and Ngoi Huen in the Siu Nim set - and at 10:16, there is a movement inbetween Gaun Sao (aka Gwut Sao) and Jum Sao? Also, the little hop after the Tout Sao section would be like where the set would end...then they open up the set again with their add on section.

This is supposedly Chan Wah Shun's WCK, which Yip Man learned...

Phil Redmond
07-22-2010, 06:14 PM
I've learned quite a number of forms from other KF styles whose names end with Tau/Tao/...

Unless 80% of the KF forms in existence come in multiple pieces, I don't buy the premise regarding SLT.

Most scholars say that Cantonese has 7 tones. Tao can mean Do, or the Way/Path. Tauh, means head. The "cat stance" in the luhk dim bun kwan is called 'diu mah" (hanging horse).
If you use the wrong tone it can mean F--- your Mother.
There's story about an English friend of Bruce Lee's who at the dinner table asked some one to pass the hai,(crab) in Cantonese. His tone was off so he really asked to pass the pus-y. ;)

tigershorty
07-22-2010, 06:17 PM
lol @ phil. nice story ;)

LoneTiger108
07-23-2010, 09:12 AM
I've always found the clips from Sergio quite interesting to be honest. I also understand that almost every single practitioner of Weng Wing Chun (sic!) since it's beginnings have their own stories and propoganda :rolleyes: It's great for a little light research, but everything that's 'said' should be treated as such.

soulfist
07-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Most scholars say that Cantonese has 7 tones. Tao can mean Do, or the Way/Path. Tauh, means head. The "cat stance" in the luhk dim bun kwan is called 'diu mah" (hanging horse).
If you use the wrong tone it can mean F--- your Mother.
There's story about an English friend of Bruce Lee's who at the dinner table asked some one to pass the hai,(crab) in Cantonese. His tone was off so he really asked to pass the pus-y. ;)

Cantonese has 9 tones. Tao is mandarin for way or path, Do is the Cantonese reading. The reason Cantonese is never written as its pronounced is that when the British claimed Hong Kong they didnt like and never could develop an ear for a foreign language like Cantonese. They romanized it how they pleased, and made it impossible for Chinese to understand foreigners trying to speak Chinese words to this day. If you have ever been to Hong Kong you will know this, all the street signs and stations are spelled in English that when read dont even resemble the Chinese.

Cantonese is tough though, and your right about the word "hai". Actually the way Japanese people say "hai" is the tone of the Cantonese word for p_ssy. "domo" for thank you means "rub me more" in Cantonese. The writing for thank you "arigatou" means "I got a problem" in Cantonese. Funny, the chinese make fun of the japanese alot for these linguistical oddities :)

RenDaHai
07-23-2010, 11:43 PM
In case it helps;

小念頭 Xiao nian tou. Chinese words are often a combination of two characters. 'NianTou' combines to make the word 'idea'. The xiao means small/lesser and may not be related to the name, rather a classification.

There is a standard naming culture in chinese forms. That is to refer to them as 'xiao' and 'da' which means big and small, greater and lesser. Usually Xiao means lesser and refers to the more fundamental more important form. It contains the bread and butter techniques, the everyday techniques. Da means greater and refers to the extra techniques. Those which are powerful but used less frequently and therefore less important.

This naming culture pervades all styles in china. The interesting thing is is that if a form is named 'xiao' then you would expect there to be a twin form named 'Da'. So the real question should be was there an extra form called 'Da Niantou' quan? (Dai lum tao)

The alternative is that 'niantou' quan (idea fist) was at some point a seperate style and the xiao is added to the name to emphasize that this is a single form that captures the essence of niantou fist.

Anyway it is unlikely the form was ever xiaonian and then the tou was added later because niantou is one word. It is more likely it was 'niantou quan' and the xiao was added later. Looking at the structure of the form I do not believe there is a second half.

soulfist
07-24-2010, 08:57 AM
Yes, Siu Leem Tau. Actually there is a Daai Leem Tau that Ive learned myself in the past. William Cheung teaches it but changed the name to "advanced siu leem tau" which seems to have caught on, and I have heard of it elsewhere too.

Heres Cheung's Daai Leem Tau:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUdEcwgb2_Y

chusauli
07-24-2010, 10:45 AM
"Tao" is Wades Giles romanization for the Mandarin pronounciation of "the Way". Actually the Pinyin is closer and more accurate as "Dao".

"Siu Nim Tao" would be better spelled as "Siu Nim Tou" - to signify the difference in character.

What makes me laugh after all these years is some people in WCK call the first form as the "Way of Siu Lam (Temple)" or worse, "Way of Small Thought". :)

soulfist
07-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Siu Nim Tou is Chinglish, no one would understand that pronunciation. Cantonese seldom pronounce N, saying it as an L colloquially. Tou means stomach or otherwise, but not head. It is pronounced exactly as Siu Leem Tau in Cantonese, ignoring British Romanization.

Your right about the mandarin being pronounced as Dao, not Tao. Fully is Xiao (shiao) Niao Tou, phonetically.