PDA

View Full Version : special skill training

teetsao
07-22-2010, 07:31 PM
i would like to know who on here trains in special skills and if so what have you gained. i am sure everyone knows i have been training iron palm for a few years now,and have seen the videos. i also train in vibrating palm but have done no vibrational only vids, as they are too weird and most prob. wouldnt belive what they were seeing. i also train iron body/shirt and have made good progress but not near where i want to be yet. my teacher has the "pearls" in his stomach as referred to in the lohan gong book. no joke you can feel them in his stomach. the best iron shirt i have ever seen. this is all i really have time for. i know in ancient times most all practitioners trained in some iron skill and almost all had light body ability. this is something i think i would be interested in trying. i would like to hear from the rest of you in what you are training on.

TenTigers
07-22-2010, 07:50 PM
I've been working my light body skills for some time now. At this point in my training, and of course my age, I think I have reached as far as I will go, which is a vertical jump of my own height.

teetsao
07-22-2010, 08:20 PM
a vertical of your body height is great. i can jump waist high and thats it. would you care to share you training.??

vatesi
07-22-2010, 10:01 PM
I've been working my light body skills for some time now. At this point in my training, and of course my age, I think I have reached as far as I will go, which is a vertical jump of my own height.

That's amazing, how tall are you?

TenTigers
07-22-2010, 10:36 PM
I am two feet, three inches.

ok, 5'11"

SevenStar
07-23-2010, 05:36 AM
you have a six foot vertical leap? what is the training regimen?

TenTigers
07-23-2010, 05:45 AM
most of the emphasis is on knee and ankle strength and flexibility, as well as spine, as the force is generated from the feet though the body. Plyometric platform jumps and practicing standing jumps onto and off of a table, as well as running leaps over progressively higher obstacles.
Squatting exercises, duck walks, squat hops, etc

TenTigers
07-23-2010, 05:46 AM
you have a six foot vertical leap? what is the training regimen?
what exactly are you referring to when you say, "Leap?"

CFT
07-23-2010, 05:56 AM
Rik, do you have to fully squat down to jump your own body height? How high can you jump with just an "unseen" flexing of the knees & ankles?

sanjuro_ronin
07-23-2010, 06:02 AM

Dude, that is great, a slam dunk must be a cinch for you, you can make some good money hustling on the BBall courts :D

David Jamieson
07-23-2010, 06:31 AM
Iron palm / bridges/ body

I use qigong, bag devices, medicine, rings, weight, body weight and yes, some partner work

Heavy. :p

The point being is that I woudl like to be able to suffer more. lol

SPJ
07-23-2010, 09:05 AM
1. hardening of your body parts

I need my hands to play music and do surgery.

so I only condition forearm, chest/back/shoulder to kao/lean on a heavy bag or something with wide contact suface with about human weight.

2. fine tuning your sensitivity is also a special skill.

nian yi like a piece of cloth sticking to your skin

I practice with wooden dummy or plastic dummy

and also with a pushhand partner. for the most part you follow the training partner's arm moves, body stance, steps etc

once in contact, you stick

yi zhan jiu nian

the practice also includes listening, interaction, etc since you need to know the opponent's jin so as to follow.

TenTigers
07-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Dude, that is great, a slam dunk must be a cinch for you, you can make some good money hustling on the BBall courts :D
no way could I jump that high.
I was talking about jumping down, like off a ledge or a high chair.

heck, if I could jump up that high, I'd be famous.

JamesC
07-23-2010, 12:59 PM
I was trying not to call shennanigans on you, seeing as how i'm still a noob here.

What landing method are you using? Parkour?

sanjuro_ronin
07-23-2010, 01:00 PM
no way could I jump that high.
I was talking about jumping down, like off a ledge or a high chair.

heck, if I could jump up that high, I'd be famous.

AH, I have attained spiritual and creamy enlightenment !!

Lucas
07-23-2010, 01:09 PM
do you practice running up walls and jumping off lots of fun and really builds your light landings.

TenTigers
07-23-2010, 01:43 PM
I was trying not to call shennanigans on you, seeing as how i'm still a noob here.

What landing method are you using? Parkour?
similar-le plante du visage....

TenTigers
07-23-2010, 01:44 PM
do you practice running up walls and jumping off lots of fun and really builds your light landings.
no, but I do practice falling off barstools....

Lucas
07-23-2010, 01:50 PM
LOL. oh i get it, i thought you were being serious at first....i should have known better.

JamesC
07-23-2010, 02:00 PM
similar-le plante du visage....

Touche, sir. Touche.

SPJ
07-23-2010, 02:15 PM
how do you train listening skills

just do everything over with eyes blindfolded is one way

there are others.

:eek:

Yum Cha
07-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Hey Ten, good fishing today?

Should we merge this thread with the 'super powers I wish I had' thread...

I bags flying!

YouKnowWho
07-23-2010, 03:12 PM
This will be something fun to try. You can try this on any street sign pole. If you can hang on the street sign pole for 1 minute, you are doing very well.

http://johnswang.com/J_pole_hang.wmv

TenTigers
07-23-2010, 04:07 PM
how do you train listening skills

just do everything over with eyes blindfolded is one way

there are others.

:eek:

what...?

:confused::confused::confused:

taai gihk yahn
07-23-2010, 04:25 PM
This will be something fun to try. You can try this on any street sign pole. If you can hang on the street sign pole for 1 minute, you are doing very well.

http://johnswang.com/J_pole_hang.wmv

is that while the men in white coats are trying to pull you off?

YouKnowWho
07-23-2010, 04:32 PM
is that while the men in white coats are trying to pull you off?

Only when I was naked.

taai gihk yahn
07-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Only when I was naked.

good times, good times...

taai gihk yahn
07-23-2010, 04:40 PM
seems like the Dark Side of the Force was with him today...

http://gothamist.com/2010/07/22/darth_vader_robs_bank_photos_oh_yes.php

Scott R. Brown
07-23-2010, 08:27 PM
You guys don't actually BELIEVE he can jump 5'11" high? A good jumper can jump over 3 feet, but 6 feet? Come on get real!

And I'm not talking about the high jump.

teetsao
07-23-2010, 10:05 PM
i think it is possible with enough training. people in the past used to have tremendous verticles,because it was a skiill greatyl looked upon in the martial arts comunity. i can personally jump up on a 38" box flat footed with a small sqaut then jump. no running. i think that is ok but i dont work it enough,that is just a throwback from my taekwondo days,as jumping leaping and rolling were practiced daily. light body is areal skill with great benefits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkpde4vSuwc&feature=related

there are many other attainable skills out there but i think people now days dont have the time or the dedication or will to practice them enough to get anything out of them or get to a high level.too many distractions like tv and sports. all of the old stories from ancient kung fu masters are true, as they spent countless hours working on them. i have personally wtinessed some things that you would absolutely not beleive unless you saw it. old skill brought back to life. i personally am working on revivng some of these, i do not watch tv and i hate sports as i beleive they are mere distractions from truth.with help from my teacher i will accomplish the unbeleiveable.