PDA

View Full Version : wah lum

shipalohan
09-02-2000, 08:35 AM
my style is an off shoot of wah lum called tzu-jan kune do by sijo glenn hart has anyone heard of him?

woliveri
09-02-2000, 10:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shipalohan:
my style is an off shoot of wah lum called tzu-jan kune do by sijo glenn hart has anyone heard of him?[/quote]

Ok, I'll bite.. Please define "offshoot".

What is the lineage of your style and how
does it relate to Wah Lum?

Who is Glenn Hart's Teacher?

bitesfirst
09-03-2000, 10:28 AM
Shipalohan, where are you located? How old is tzu-jan kune do? How does the liniage trace back to Wha Lum? Are you assiciated with the "Jade Mountain Assosiation", if it even exists? Have you studied under any Wha Lum instructors to compare the two styles with?

shipalohan
09-06-2000, 11:09 PM
Glenn hart learned wah lum from chon poi's first disciple. He received his red belt broke off with five other masters/grandmasters and created the internal tao system which is know located in
Florida, Glenn Hart put is signature on it and moved to massachusetts and created tzu-jan Kune do. There are many differences but both style are a combination of northern shaolin and northern mantis. The fact is Glenn Hart has added some more from other mantis styles and teaches the cirriculum differently. Essentially they are the same system.

SolarStance
09-07-2000, 02:35 AM
Greetings,
I don't mean to start ANY trouble here, but I have been in Wah Lum for a LONG time, and as tradition dictates, there are NO colored sashes in this system, nor ever were. I have seen Mr. Hart's students at many local tournaments and they have demonstrated more contemporary wushu with a few Wah Lum moves mixed in. This is fine, having "broken away" from the mother system, but I feel saddened if these new and uninformed students don't know where the material is really comming from,or have been deceived by someone who claims to be something that they are not. At any rate, welcome to the site, Shipalohan!

Happy Training,
Solar Stance

7kicks
09-07-2000, 06:43 AM
I agree with solarstance. In the WAH LUM system there are no belts or sash ranking system there are levels that you do attain through taking test. Usually if someone in WAH LUM claims to be a certain sash color it is a school that no longer affliates itself with the WAH LUM temple. Keep in mind this doesn't mean that the sifu is not teaching exactly as he was taught by GM CHAN, he may have just decided to break away due to a number of different circumstances. However if Glen Hart claims to have earned his red belt from chans first disciple I highly doubt that fact. Does he teach in Massachusetts?

bitesfirst
09-07-2000, 07:30 AM
I would also be interested in finding out where he is teaching.

7kicks
09-08-2000, 06:17 AM
Yes shiplohan please tell us where you train? I would be interested in knowing if Glen Hart is teaching in Massachusetts so that I may get in contact with the school to take a peek at the curriculum. ANY info would be appreciated.

NorthernMantis
09-08-2000, 09:40 AM
Hi-

For the record I would like to remind people about a certain thread that caused problems a while that started in a similar manner.Please try not to let this escalate like it id last time.Also I am not balming anyone.I just don't want to see this again.

-peace

BaguaMantis
09-09-2000, 04:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mantiz6:
Yes shiplohan please tell us where you train? I would be interested in knowing if Glen Hart is teaching in Massachusetts so that I may get in contact with the school to take a peek at the curriculum. ANY info would be appreciated.[/quote]

I believe his school is out on the Cape. He runs a Cape Cod tournament every spring.

Hua Lin Laoshi
09-17-2000, 05:39 PM
I don't mean to be bashing Glenn Hart but in my opinion it looks like another case of learn a little here, learn a little there, don't make it through to the certification level so you tech the fragments of arts that you know. I see this all the time with schools that teach a mix if Muy Tai, Jeet Kune Do, this that and the other thing. That just tells me they didn't stick it out in any discipline.

I also like when you ask what style a particular school teaches they ask what you want to learn. Wing Chun? Sure we teach that. Brazilian Jui Jitsu? Yeah, we teach that too. Tai Chi? Yep! You name it, we teach it.

Black Jack
09-17-2000, 08:42 PM
Typical McDojo reply...its shows that you dont know the first thing about electic systems such as JKD.

Thats your lose and the JKD guys gain.

Regards

Hua Lin Laoshi
09-18-2000, 10:19 PM
And what style are you going to 'invent' with your mix of training?

And you are correct. I never studied JKD although I have read a bit about it AND I'm old enough to remember the Bruce Lee days.

You take my post so personally. Are you defending all the mish-mosh garage schools across the country?

[This message was edited by Hua Lin Laoshi on 09-19-00 at .]

Black Jack
09-19-2000, 05:01 AM
If you don't know the specifics of something on a first name bases you have no merit on what is or is not good.

In my opinion if you are talking about mishmash you are talking about the vast array of so called "traditional" schools that teach nothing close to street combat survival and just breed fancy dancers who time after time get there asses handed to them in a street fight by the guy who is more cross trained.

I am not defending any school which does not back up there system with serious self defense training, sparring and drills...be it traditional or eclectic.

It just happens that many of the so-called eclectic schools train on the average much more serious than a number of the traditional schools out there.

I am not saying by any means that "all" traditional schools have commerical McDojo training but the numbers will always show that
on the average they breed dancers and not fighters.

To say that because a person takes JKDC or Defendo does not stick with a single system is pretty ignorant if you ask me and a gross take on the arts in general.

Systems of thought like JKDC, Defendo and CQC are serious combative schools that are there to teach the student to get the job at hand done and use the concepts and aspects of the other martial arts that are the most simple and effective to use in a life or death situation.

Do you think that Paul Vunack whose JKDC "RAT" program is taught to the Navy Seal Teams, DEA, FBI and many other law enforcment agencies across the country or that the legendary Dan Inosonato could not stick with a single system or what about Hock Hochheim who has degrees in Filipino and Japanese systems and is a commendated 23 year police and U.S. army Vet?

Regards, /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Regards

KNH13
09-19-2000, 11:45 PM
Can't stand to see all this hate going around.

I personally like the traditional arts. Unfortunately, there are schools that train forms and can't fight worth crap. But then there are those who do both very well. Depends on the teachers & the students.

I don't like chop suey schools either (remember, that's just my personal preference), but everybody has their reason for learning their style. I like the traditional forms, it's not only beautiful, it pretty cool to learn something that's been past down hundreds of years.

There are those who want to fight only and it's their right to learn whatever it takes to become a good fighter (hey I like to watch boxing, it may not be kung fu, but I can still appreciate the punching). Not saying I can't fight with PM, but it does take longer and you have to learn it well to fight well, and some people just don't have that type of patience. But for me, if I'm not fighting, at least I can demonstrate a form that I know and people will say, Wow that was cool (can't do that with JKD unless you're showing an applicaton). Can't do that with the non-traditional styles.

Now, I still like to fight other styles because even though some might think we have too many pretty moves that aren't applicable (you just have to know how to apply them), since I have such a huge arsenal, I'll definately find something that'll work.

bitesfirst
09-20-2000, 03:54 AM
Something you have to remember about more trditional schools, the "flashy" moves are not always ment to be used in every combat. These moves are often taught to develope the increadable speed, timming, percision and strength to be able to pull them off. Then, those qualities are applied to a basic forward punch.

KNH13
09-21-2000, 04:41 AM
correcto mundo.

practice something hard, something easy won't take any effort.

KNH13
09-21-2000, 04:43 AM
I've heard of Sifu Glen from my sifu.

Does he teach modified forms that he learned from Wah Lum, or are they complete new forms that he might have made up from what he learned?