PDA

View Full Version : Quadrapedal motion

dimethylsea
07-26-2010, 09:25 AM
The recent "wushu free-running" clip made me think about parkour and some of it's training practices. I have a friend who does parkour and spent the summer with I and my room-mate training MA. I also did a bit of the parkour conditioning stuff with him.. just for exercise (I'm a super-heavy weight.. jumping off walls and doing chin-ups is WAY WAY out of my league.. ).

One of the things I noticed is there is ALOT of quadrapedal motion work in parkour. Getting down on all fours and moving about, turning. It was a puker! Very challenging. Bizarre variants of dive-bomber pushups, all sorts of neat stuff.

Do you do this sort of thing, whether for flexibility, relaxation, as an "emergency ground game", or as part of your kungfu practice?

If so where did you learn it (teacher or cross-training) and why is it valuable to you?

MasterKiller
07-26-2010, 10:43 AM
The recent "wushu free-running" clip made me think about parkour and some of it's training practices. I have a friend who does parkour and spent the summer with I and my room-mate training MA. I also did a bit of the parkour conditioning stuff with him.. just for exercise (I'm a super-heavy weight.. jumping off walls and doing chin-ups is WAY WAY out of my league.. ).

One of the things I noticed is there is ALOT of quadrapedal motion work in parkour. Getting down on all fours and moving about, turning. It was a puker! Very challenging. Bizarre variants of dive-bomber pushups, all sorts of neat stuff.

Do you do this sort of thing, whether for flexibility, relaxation, as an "emergency ground game", or as part of your kungfu practice?

If so where did you learn it (teacher or cross-training) and why is it valuable to you?

I've done some kind of crawls/walks in every class I've ever had—crab walks, spiderman crawls, monkey walks, etc...