PDA

View Full Version : 8-step mantis too expensive??

heyimhowie
10-30-2001, 01:11 AM
Hey guys... i'm am inexperienced in martial arts and would like to start learning. I plan on going the the 8step mantis program which is headquartered near my house. They are charging $150 per month for 12 lessons, and freesparing, training on saturdays. This is the authentic 8step school. Is $150 too much??

Jeff Liboiron
10-30-2001, 01:38 AM
DUUUUUUUUDE, that's way too much if you ask me, forget it, find another school. You will find lots of other schools that are cheaper, and include more class time.

However, do indeed check the school out, and if you can afford it, then by all means go for it :)

The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you

heyimhowie
10-30-2001, 01:57 AM
i've been doing research lately, and the only reputable school i could find in my area was this place. http://www.8step.com

I do not mind paying the extra money if it is for a complete and authentic system. But ****.. 150!!!

oh.. by the way... I am in Southern California and the other shaolin schools around here are about 75 a month.

Syre
10-30-2001, 05:11 AM
If you go to 12 lessons plus 4 free-spars, that's less than $10 a session, which seems reasonable.

On the other hand, if you slack off and only go to 3 lessons, it's $50 a lesson and expensive.

Nutt'nhunny
10-30-2001, 06:33 AM
I would pay 80-100 a month for a Sifu. Is this a Master? Is it Master Sun? If so, pay it and learn all you can. It does seem high, but thats california for ya. Where its 8 bucks for a nice cup of coffee.

EARTH DRAGON
10-30-2001, 06:51 AM
I think that you are talking about my teachers school in LA Master Shyun if it is then its hard to put on price on learning from a master and worth a lot more than $150...I charge 65.00 a month for unlimited class time that includes Tai Chi classes, but I own a school in buffalo where the economy sucks and much lower than LA So it comes with the territory and you pay for what you get! free lessons at the YMCA are expensive if you dont learn anything and waste your time! and again he is a lineage holder and master hard to find real china jewels left in the world

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

heyimhowie
10-30-2001, 08:20 AM
I attended a class today. There were only 2 other students there, and Master Sun instructed me for about half the class.

The 150 is for 12 lessons, regardless of the amount of time it takes me to use it. So basically.. 150 for 12 lessons, and unlimited sparing, training, bag hitting on saturdays.

soy
10-30-2001, 08:36 AM
For that much money the atmosphere of the school is probably going to be very either commercial, formal, or generally uncomfortable. I seriously suggest you look elsewhere.

P.s.

Just read your update.

Don't take my advice too seriously, it's just speculation. If you feel you are getting bang for your buck go for it.

Syre
10-30-2001, 12:09 PM
You were instructed by Master Sun, the grandmaster of the system, and it cost you only $13???

12 lessons to use at any time, and some of them with the grandmaster? People pay much more than that per lesson to study with students or "masters" who aren't really.

I think you're very lucky... not getting ripped off at all. I wish I were in LA and could take advantage of that!

sultanpro
10-30-2001, 06:18 PM
Syre- I agree with you, the price seems pretty good when you think about it, lessons with the GrandMaster 13$.

IamHowie- Sounds like you got a deal bro, most people dont even have true GrandMaster's in their area to train with, dont think about price, think about the knowlege you will recive.

It's never too expensive, to pay for something thats priceless.

Skard

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

heyimhowie
10-30-2001, 07:42 PM
I wasnt even charged for yesterdays lesson.... they even said i could come in again for another free one if i'd like. I think this is a great school and will most likely join.

The grandmaster is only from m-th, but I feel very lucky that the grandmaster is there at all.

EARTH DRAGON
10-30-2001, 08:10 PM
I am glad you decided to take avantage of the school as for soy dont listen to him becuse there is nothing commercial about 8 step and again it is pricless to learn from master sun. I lived with him for a year and although was not charged I would have paid anything to be taught by a grand master when I first moved to San Fransisco.
Please do me a favor and please tell him said sifu Michael Haley from buffalo said hi when you go for your next class he will be thrilled you know of me. and for god sakes dont quit the system and lineae is worth every penny.

Robbie
10-30-2001, 08:41 PM
howie, train hard and you'll get more than your moneys worth. and if you say you know Michael Haley let him know it's from KFO posting not personally otherwise might seem a bit rude.

Tainan Mantis
11-01-2001, 01:13 PM
Why don't you post the results of your class on the mantis page so that it doesn't get buried so quickly.

EARTH DRAGON
11-01-2001, 05:09 PM
not sure what you mean by rude? master shyun is my shrfu and a good freind as well , and I thought if he said he knew me he would get some special treament and maybe a little more instruction from him , I was just trying to help out my new little kung fu brother with a recomedation from a shrfu and federation representitve.