PDA

View Full Version : Live resistance

Dragonzbane76
07-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Do you have it and use it?? When training your "said" art/style/what ever; do you go full/ half/ backyard forms/one step sparring/ or just like the idea of believing you can actually fight?

discuss

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/jestioko87/58345.jpg

TenTigers
07-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Kung-Fu is much too dangerous to fight with real resistance. Too many deadly techniques. Better off just doing forms in the mirror. Even shadowboxing can lead to injuries. Better still to just watch films and play videogames in a satin uniform, maybe wear a Chinese jacket and walk around town, eat Chinese roast pork on garlic bread with duck sauce at the diner with chopsticks.

hskwarrior
07-27-2010, 07:51 AM
Kung-Fu is much too dangerous to fight with real resistance. Too many deadly techniques. Better off just doing forms in the mirror. Even shadowboxing can lead to injuries. Better still to just watch films and play videogames in a satin uniform, maybe wear a Chinese jacket and walk around town, eat Chinese roast pork on garlic bread with duck sauce at the diner with chopsticks.

yeah what he said......lmao

Dragonzbane76
07-27-2010, 07:58 AM

I have heard this before.... must be true if I've heard it once before. :p

taai gihk yahn
07-27-2010, 08:01 AM
eat Chinese roast pork on garlic bread with duck sauce at the diner with chopsticks.

mmmm....roast pork....

PlumDragon
07-27-2010, 09:57 AM
"Resistance" is just a regurgitated word from the faddish side of MMA. "Pressure" is a substantially better word IMO, and one that is much more important in the production of skill. If you are trying to pull something off and your opponent is just "resisting", then youre better off changing; else, you are just arm wrestling--which is really not very "live" IMO. Its actually kind of silly.

When pressure (intensity, speed, power, etc) is applied, it puts the situation in context and the actual concept of "resistance" becomes less important because, well you either pull it off or you dont. When my teachers train me and when I train my students, every second we train is under pressure. If theres no pressure, its a different activity entirely...might as well be fishing on the lake.

Frost
07-27-2010, 10:28 AM
"Resistance" is just a regurgitated word from the faddish side of MMA. "Pressure" is a substantially better word IMO, and one that is much more important in the production of skill. If you are trying to pull something off and your opponent is just "resisting", then youre better off changing; else, you are just arm wrestling--which is really not very "live" IMO. Its actually kind of silly.

When pressure (intensity, speed, power, etc) is applied, it puts the situation in context and the actual concept of "resistance" becomes less important because, well you either pull it off or you dont. When my teachers train me and when I train my students, every second we train is under pressure. If theres no pressure, its a different activity entirely...might as well be fishing on the lake.

nope resistance is not from the faddish side of MMA thats "aliveness" :D

progressive resistance is a great term for it, i can attack with great intensity and pressure but not resist your response, that is still inefficent training, progressive resistance is what helps make a fighter good

Dragonzbane76
07-27-2010, 10:29 AM
resistance/pressure what ever, I believe the point was the same all around. Do you train in a manner that lives up to the expectation?

Joe Mantis
07-27-2010, 01:39 PM

Because I am a legend in my own mind I also:
pretend that I speak chinese and throw around misprounced chinese words in BOTH Mandarin and Cantonese. :)

dimethylsea
07-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Do you have it and use it?? When training your "said" art/style/what ever; do you go full/ half/ backyard forms/one step sparring/ or just like the idea of believing you can actually fight?

discuss

I spar daily at full resistance and speed with sharp knives. This is the only way to "be sure" the movements really work. If you haven't actually stabbed someone to death you don't know "for sure" that you actually can perform the technique correctly. Similarly if you haven't been stabbed to death you don't actually know your technique won't work.

It's very logical isn't it?

YouKnowWho
07-27-2010, 09:10 PM
It depends on whether you are in "training" or "testing".

lkfmdc
07-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Real Kung Fu (tm) can only be done on concrete covered in AIDS infected needles with multiple opponents all carrying spears. Since this is hard to do, most people remain at the level of "knucklehead" but if they are very lucky they can go play in the woods at being a spartan (nude lube included)

Sardinkahnikov
07-28-2010, 07:18 AM
"(...)but if they are very lucky they can go play in the woods at being a spartan (nude lube included)"

...what?

Lucas
07-28-2010, 07:42 AM
pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

PlumDragon
07-28-2010, 07:43 AM
nope resistance is not from the faddish side of MMA thats "aliveness" :DSo be it...

progressive resistance is a great term for it, i can attack with great intensity and pressure but not resist your response, that is still inefficent trainingMaybe when you say resist, whan you mean is that you cannot successfully handle the pressure? I feel like the term "resist" gives new students the wrong idea but its probably not worth arguing too much about.

If you can not handle a given level of intensity from your opponent, then something will break down. That is, you can attack will all the gusto in the world, but when I respond in kind, youll fail (to resist, I guess) unless youve previously trained your brain to deal with that level of pressure/intensity. If you have previously trained your brain to deal, then you will have a much higher probability of success. Yes? Pressure/intensity is the active component...

progressive resistance is what helps make a fighter goodDo you spend time doing solo shadow boxing or pre-arranged drills/padwork. etc? I think perhaps these types of items do not adhere to the "progressive _____" framwork, unless you are doing these types of things simply for a warmup or fitness...Or started progressive training yesterday...

Iron_Eagle_76
07-28-2010, 10:01 AM
http://ipo.totfarm.com/pics/pic_12274608241355.jpg

Frost
07-28-2010, 02:13 PM
So be it...

Maybe when you say resist, whan you mean is that you cannot successfully handle the pressure? I feel like the term "resist" gives new students the wrong idea but its probably not worth arguing too much about.

If you can not handle a given level of intensity from your opponent, then something will break down. That is, you can attack will all the gusto in the world, but when I respond in kind, youll fail (to resist, I guess) unless youve previously trained your brain to deal with that level of pressure/intensity. If you have previously trained your brain to deal, then you will have a much higher probability of success. Yes? Pressure/intensity is the active component...

Do you spend time doing solo shadow boxing or pre-arranged drills/padwork. etc? I think perhaps these types of items do not adhere to the "progressive _____" framwork, unless you are doing these types of things simply for a warmup or fitness...Or started progressive training yesterday...

solo shadow boxing is done for warm up yes, but if you had to produce a fighter and had limited time would you have him shadow box, hit the pads or spar and work with a resisting partner most of the time?

even drills and pad work have to have resistance/pressure to make them effective, the good pad man will almost spar with you, they move in and out, feint with the pads and throw them at you like strikes, they force you to cover up, move and react to the pressure (maybe you are right it is a good word!)

All drills need aliveness (my god i used the term) pressure/resistance in order for you to learn the necessry timing to use them effectively. for instance to learn the jab you might warm up shadow boxing with it, then work on the pads with the pad man controlling the timing and making you move so you have to learn distance...then you might ilosate it in sparring, jab against jab only (but still it is done against resistance and pressure) but then you have to intergrate it into your overall game and spar with increasing resistance and intensity in order to be able to use it effectivally

PlumDragon
07-28-2010, 03:01 PM
solo shadow boxing is done for warm up yes, but if you had to produce a fighter and had limited time would you have him shadow box, hit the pads or spar and work with a resisting partner most of the time?I wouldnt do shadow boxing or pre-arranged padwork (like you say below, without pressure) whether I had limited time or all the time in the world because they are both inefficient for producing skill...Skills can only be installed and accessed under stress.

When my teachers train me, and when I train my students, warm-up is comprised of a few minutes of building up pressure. Once the pressure is built-up, it is raised to slightly above the level that I (or my students can handle) and this is where we train 100% of the time. If were not training in that manner, we dont feel we are progressing at an optimal rate.

even drills and pad work have to have resistance/pressure to make them effective, the good pad man will almost spar with you, they move in and out, feint with the pads and throw them at you like strikes, they force you to cover up, move and react to the pressure (maybe you are right it is a good word!)Glad you are liking the word! =)
We are in agreement, pad work should be done in this way, IMO basicly from day 1. That is, with just enough pressure that the student has trouble but can overcome it in the short-term.

All drills need aliveness (my god i used the term) pressure/resistance in order for you to learn the necessry timing to use them effectively. for instance to learn the jab you might warm up shadow boxing with it, then work on the pads with the pad man controlling the timing and making you move so you have to learn distance...then you might ilosate it in sparring, jab against jab only (but still it is done against resistance and pressure) but then you have to intergrate it into your overall game and spar with increasing resistance and intensity in order to be able to use it effectivallyNo argument about the overall process, albeit we disagree on some of the details...

Lee Chiang Po
07-28-2010, 05:31 PM

discuss

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/jestioko87/58345.jpg

You don't have to spar or fight full contact in order to be able to fight. Of course if you ring fight with rules and ref you are not as likely to get injured as if sparing for a real scenario. I did some sparing as a teen, but from that time no. Yet I have no doubt that I can fight if need be. I have had an unusual number of actual fights, and was quite able to defend myself. I don't think you are likely to run up on cage fighters, and if you do, you don't have to fight by rules.

SoCo KungFu
07-28-2010, 06:52 PM
You don't have to spar or fight full contact in order to be able to fight. Of course if you ring fight with rules and ref you are not as likely to get injured as if sparing for a real scenario. I did some sparing as a teen, but from that time no.

You haven't sparred since you were a teen, and you likely have never competed full contact. Yet you then make some asinine comment about how ring fighting is somehow less intense than krotty school "teh realz" sparring? Whatever....

Yet I have no doubt that I can fight if need be. I have had an unusual number of actual fights, and was quite able to defend myself. I don't think you are likely to run up on cage fighters, and if you do, you don't have to fight by rules.

Neither do we...

Frost
07-29-2010, 01:45 AM
You haven't sparred since you were a teen, and you likely have never competed full contact. Yet you then make some asinine comment about how ring fighting is somehow less intense than krotty school "teh realz" sparring? Whatever....

Neither do we...

well put fact is if you do spar or fight regularly you will not have the ability to be able to deal with the adrenaline dump that happens when you are in the sh*t you will freeze and get wrecked

SevenStar
07-30-2010, 06:27 AM
You don't have to spar or fight full contact in order to be able to fight. Of course if you ring fight with rules and ref you are not as likely to get injured as if sparing for a real scenario. I did some sparing as a teen, but from that time no. Yet I have no doubt that I can fight if need be. I have had an unusual number of actual fights, and was quite able to defend myself. I don't think you are likely to run up on cage fighters, and if you do, you don't have to fight by rules.

In this day and age, with mma being the new trend, yeah you may be more likely to run up on "cage fighters" I recently witnessed a fight on the job where both parties were mma guys. In case humbleguys sees this, they did NOT assume a fighting stance - One guy punched the other and after being hit, the guy clinched him, then jumped guard...I think that was a bad idea from a self defense perspective, but whatever floats his boat - it worked at that time. the guy who hit him was trying to GnP him from inside the guard when we broke them up.

Dragonzbane76
07-30-2010, 07:02 AM
haha where do you work at?

thelegend731
08-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Explosive fast twitch Weight Training helps