PDA

View Full Version : Fire at the SF 8step studio

MikeO
09-07-2000, 06:37 AM
Friday, Sept 1st there was a fire at the 8step studio on Noriega street. I was emotionally destroyed when I saw the burned out wreckage and smelled the smoldering embers. I haven't been able to contact anyone from the school, or classes (haven't been in a while) and I was wondering if anyone knows what is going on? Hopefully everyone is OK and classes will continue here in San Francisco. ANyone?

8stepsifu
09-07-2000, 06:54 AM
I heard that someone was hurt, but I don't have any details right now. From what I understand someone left a burner on and went to teach class when it caught fire. (this is complete hearsay and I'm probably dead wrong)

bamboo_ leaf
09-07-2000, 09:52 AM
I'm very sorry to hear that, and hope no one was hurt.

Sincerly

Bamboo Leaf

Qi Xing Tong Long
09-07-2000, 09:06 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this, if there is anything that I and my kwoon can do to help, please let me know.

Peace
Ortiz, Sifu

------------------
Ortiz Northern Shaolin Temple 7-Star Praying Mantis Chinese Boxing Academy

MikeO
09-07-2000, 10:28 PM
OK, I called this number (415) 243-6979 and got some information. The school is gone, and right now the Sifu's are collecting their thoughts. They want to open a new school, but they are not sure where or when because of financial reasons. I have some ideas myself, until a new place is built: maybe we could temporarily rent out some space from a school, church, gym, city building, anything that will provide a good environment for classes. If anyone has any ideas or information, please post it here or email me. When I hear more information I will post it as well.

As far as the cause of the fire, a friend of mine who works at a store down the street said that it was caused by a stove being left on. As far as I know, no one was hurt because no one was at the school at the time. (Like 8stepsifu said, this is only the word on the street, it isn't confirmed as the truth)

Thank you to all those who have replied and offered your help, your generosity is greatly appreciated.

--MikeO

------------------

MikeO
09-08-2000, 12:18 AM
OK, I just heard from Sifu Alan and he said that nobody was injured in the fire, the school was empty at the time.

I will post any updates regarding the school opening back up.

09-08-2000, 05:42 AM
Im very sorry that you lost your school. Glad knowone was hurt.

09-08-2000, 09:54 AM
NO! This better be a joke.

[This message has been edited by Tamoke (edited 09-09-2000).]

MikeO
09-11-2000, 04:14 AM
Sorry Tamoke, I wish I could say that it is a joke but it isn't. The school is gone for the time being, hopefully a new one will be opened. Sifu Alan is going on vacation and will be back in about 2 weeks, I hope to find out more from him when he gets back. If you want, call this number (415) 243-6979, for the latest information. I went by the school this weekend and it is still boarded up. From what I can tell, almost everything inside was destroyed by the fire. Maybe one of the swords survived (not the wooden ones), but I think all of the practice gear, pictures, etc, are gone.

Regrets, MikeO

09-13-2000, 05:12 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tamoke:
[B]NO! This better be a joke.

Hey, Tamoke, its true, Sifu Jack told me about it a couple days back. Maybe you can get in touch with Sifu Tosh, his studio
might be close enough for some people who can drive there til a temporary place in SF could be found, but I know that might be a bit far for you, Master Sun told me a while back that Sifu Dean is still somewhere in SF, maybe he knows of a place?
Ps, thanks to Sifu Ortiz for his moral support,
1path