PDA

View Full Version : Wong Long poem (one more time)

mantis7
09-08-2000, 09:04 AM
Hello all....
I was wondering is there anyone out there that can give a discription of each style and a example of technique....

one thing I myself was never into was the research of the system but with the great contributions of the shifus here and on the mailing list have made me quite curious....

1. the long fist technique of Tai-Cho
2. Followed by the Tung Pi style of Han Tung
3. Still better with the twisting locking techniques of Tzen Un
4. The short fist technique of Un Yian is remarkable
5. The Short range striking technique of Ma Chi is extraordinare
6. The monkey style of Sun Tan is also popular
7. The body leaning techniques of Wang Tien is hard to get near
8. The swift flying face palm techniques of Mian She
9. The Knocking hands technique of Chin Siang can pass through fist
10. The rigid collapsing throwing strokes of Wai Tek
11. The Hook, Embrace, Plucking technique of Liu Sing
12. The rolling sneaking technique of Tain Fang pierce the ear
13. The Grabbing throwing techniques of Ian Ching
14. The Mandarin Duck Kick of Lin Chung is great
15. The seven continuous fist techniques of Meng Sen
16. The belly cutting punch technique of Chun Lian
17. The pole plucking technique of Yang Kun pierce straight in
18. The Praying Mantis technique of Wang Lang covers all
>>

Thanks to Roch7starmantis for the poem.....

mantis7
09-08-2000, 09:05 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well back to the subject...
Can anyone tell me the history of the styles or the techniques that come from the individual sets.....
Especially this ((The rolling sneaking technique of Tain Fang pierce the ear))
((The Mandarin Duck Kick of Lin Chung is great))
((The belly cutting punch technique of Chun Lian))
I want to know were these complete systems or just techniquies favored by the person mentioned,,,,

Lets try to keep this post going no flaming or trolling.....
Word thank you for your input...everyone lets keep this straight fact and theory..

we all have diffrent personalities and have our own opinions and lets keep it like that but off of this post...

Word I respect your views and your opinons of who you think is great and not so great and you are entitled to them the same way we are all entitled to tell you to keep them to yourself...We do not have the right to offend you and same goes for you lets keep this pleseant and intelectual...

WORD....

thanks for the leaking palm theory....how are those movements connected to 13 and 14.. please explain.... Do you have info on said martial styles presented in the poem....

Thanks to all in advanced....

Victor

word
09-10-2000, 12:59 PM
There is no "book" or references that will tell you the answer to the poem. The only way to find out is to train hard, read the poem and research. ( think)

From your list it's actually #12. In mantis we always use a rolling backfist or a rolling palm. You will find that in essential #2 , goose palm and a few other forms - the rolling backpalm is followed by a leaking back palm strike. ( or chop to the neck)

The rolling part of the poem is easy to understand. After you do a rolling backpalm, if the guy blocks then you use the left hand to keep the enemy's hand above and leak your right hand to the bottom of the enemy.

Here's the same concept.

Boxing.

You are in a right front stance. You do a fake right punch to hishead and pull back a little and aim to his stomach. It's a little different but it's the same concept. If you don't know how to use technqiues the trapping way and the simplified way, it will not work. That's the main reason why JKD people go off about how kung fu needs to be "simplified." Whether is trapping or simplified, it's all there in traditional kung fu.

The only way to break wong long's poem is to research and know all your moves and how to use them correctly. Then match them to what makes sense on the poem.

word
09-10-2000, 01:08 PM
I think your #1 (tai cho) is actually Tai-Jo which is a northern shaolin style.

mantis7
09-26-2000, 04:54 AM
well word it isnt the use of the technique I am looking for but the technique to translation I was looking for topic sake......

The rolling sneaking technique of Tain Fang pierce the ear))
((The Mandarin Duck Kick of Lin Chung is great))
((The belly cutting punch technique of Chun Lian))
I have my own theorys on the techiniques...,. but what I am especially looking for the system them selves for research reasons...... This topic has research value....

word I have been training for quite a long time and understand the concepts of fighting that I do not have a problem with thank you anyway... What I seek is name and history of style and specific contrabutions theses systems have made to mantis...\

Victor
/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Shaolin Master
10-03-2000, 11:30 AM
The Poem that you have listed is shaolin in origin. It Lists the 18 Specialties of the 18 Masters invited to shaolin temple (according to the "Records of Shaolin Boxing" one of only two texts which survived the Burning of the temple around 1928). The skills mentioned sometimes relate to complete systems but do not refer to them. In Shaolin arts every system has a specialty which relates to particular skills. It is not the mere execution of techniques that represents the skills. Tang lang Quan was recorded to represent the best of most styles at the time and thus listed as having consolidated all of the other 17. Each of the other 17 skills
are components of differing styles and nowadays sometimes 2 or more form one as systems have evolved through time. The most notable comment is that the Abbott Fu Yu Hui Ju consolidated all the 18 skills and their representative systems to develop the shaolin boxing manual at the time. Should require current systems or styles containing such skills it can be provided at request. In tang lang Quan it is not those skills that one should concentrate but rather on those skills particular to Tanglang especially given the fact that each division of Tanglang emphasises different skills. Usually as Masters have their own skills experiences and knowledge to offer. Thus through time Arts change. As unfortunate as it may seem, this is the martial and shaolin way

Yat Chai Chou Yuen 'All Follows destiny'

Shi Chan Long