PDA

View Full Version : BJJ in military ACTION

GinSueDog
10-30-2001, 01:37 AM
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/ap/20011030/wl/1004475186attacks_military_lon123.html

BJJ in action overseas... :D-ED

"Ninjas are not dangerous. They are more afraid of you than you are of them." --The Tick

MonkeySlap Too
10-30-2001, 02:11 AM
Then, uh, what the Army says about the navy is pretty much acurate, eh?

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci

Martial Joe
10-30-2001, 02:15 AM
Would you really want to fight on the ground if you were in a war?

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

Waidan
10-30-2001, 02:32 AM
Yes, tackling people and forcing them to submit in a leg-bar is very effective. Unless, of course, they brought several hundred of their friends with them. ;)

Martial Joe
10-30-2001, 02:48 AM
hahaha... :D

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

Water Dragon
10-30-2001, 02:57 AM
Waidan is correct. Now, a kungfu guy would have no problem with a few hundred folks. And if they're armed..

Well I think everyone here has seen the matrix.

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

GinSueDog
10-30-2001, 03:13 AM
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/ap/20011030/wl/1004475199attacks_military_lon124.html

Here's another one, I just think it is a kicker that the close combat pics the news is showing is all BJJ :D-ED

"Ninjas are not dangerous. They are more afraid of you than you are of them." --The Tick

Wongsifu
10-30-2001, 03:23 AM
you know this is one thing i was wondering about why does traditional ju jitsu have ground fighting / throws , and breakffalling ,
i was like ok look theres 300 armed samurai coming towards me , oh sod the katana lemme arm bar him ...
or better yet , ugh ive fallen off my horse thank god i know breakfalling i wont be hurt.

(apparently it swas used by samurai who didnt want to lower themselves by cutting a peasants head off so they would arm bar them to show them whos boss)

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

jjj
10-30-2001, 03:41 AM
>>Waidan is correct. Now, a kungfu guy would have no problem with a few hundred folks. And if they're armed..<<

LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It's not really NHB because they won't let me bring a platoon of Navy SEAL's with Blackhawk fire support into the ring!"
-Watchman

MIKSANSOO
10-30-2001, 04:19 AM
various arts are used in our military and police. not just bjj!

"you can take my life, but not my confidence"
Jimmy H. Woo

SifuAbel
10-31-2001, 04:31 AM
It had a alot of "passion".......

Are you immortal?

sifuabel@yahoo.
com

rogue
10-31-2001, 05:57 AM
Wow GSD, if that's BJJ than my sons must have some Gracie in them. :D

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' Patton

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-31-2001, 06:13 AM
you know ... they used to teach aikido to police officers at one time. it was the "ultimate" submission art not so long ago . . .

where's my beer?

PaleDragon
10-31-2001, 09:07 AM
when you have someone in a crazy bjj leg wrap ...do they ever poke you in the eyes?

LEGEND
10-31-2001, 05:38 PM
nah...as soon as they reach as to throat level they get armbarred! It's like a GIMME in BJJ to eye gouge in the guard! Pass the guard then get a side or full mount then eye gouge...never eye gouge in the guard!

A

Water Dragon
10-31-2001, 06:01 PM
You can eye gouge the hell out of someone when doing a triangle choke though :D

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

JWTAYLOR
10-31-2001, 06:05 PM
It has been my experience that it is difficult to poke anyone in the eyes when they can tuck their head or keep it very close to your body.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Tigerstyle
10-31-2001, 07:32 PM
BJJ won't work in the battlefield, because if you go to the ground with your opponent during a war one of his friends will just come over and shoot you in the head.

SaMantis
10-31-2001, 08:26 PM
... or any other type of groundwork, if the soldier has a good grasp of this skill.

You're right, it wouldn't work in every situation, but if you're fighting hand-to-hand with the enemy the s*** has pretty much hit the fan anyway.

His main focus though would be to get free or subdue the attacker as quickly as possible, take him out/capture him, and drive on.

And hope his buddy with the gun hasn't noticed you yet. :p

Umm ... yeahhhhhh ... that's grrrreat ... -- LumberghE

SaMantis
10-31-2001, 08:28 PM
I just recently signed on -- been a long-time lurker though.
:)

Umm ... yeahhhhhh ... that's grrrreat ... -- LumberghE

Waidan
10-31-2001, 08:38 PM
>>Waidan is correct. Now, a kungfu guy would have no problem with a few hundred folks. And if they're armed..

LOL. Turkey :P

Just saying I'd take a striking art (ANY striking art...not just kung fu) over a groundfighting art for that sort of situation any day. When people are toting full-autos everywhere you look, mobility is an invaluable asset.

Anyway, screw it. On the battlefield, Glock Fu is king!

brainpan
10-31-2001, 10:47 PM
Now Now Ginsuedog, you like knocking over the anthill don't you? Admit it, you posted these pics just to incite the ants :p

<hr >
<font size=2 type="helvetica" color="blue">Hong Kong Phooey is a #1 superguy! </font>

GinSueDog
10-31-2001, 10:50 PM
Guys, guys, guys it was only a couple of pictures. Didn't mention once that BJJ is better then whatever art or arts you want to name. I just thought it was neat seeing pictures of the marines training BJJ in the news is all.

And yes I admit that maybe a small part of me was thinking of kicking the ant hill a little :D-ED

brainpan
11-01-2001, 08:25 AM
I'm not gonna say what you said offline, you have enough enemies here as it is :D heh heh.

But many here do have a valid point about the effectiveness of BJJ or any other hand-to-hand combat in an actual war situation.

No...BJJ is not the ultimate just because the marines are toying with an idea of BJJ.

Man for man, Isreali soldiers are tougher than American GIs...(well if not at least they see more action everyday compared to their US counterparts) if you don't believe me, ask any American GI heh heh.
They don't do BJJ. They use Krav Maga (spelling?) So does that mean that style is the best?

I do agree that most Kung Fu is superfluous.. but then having experience in both Wing Chun and now BJJ...I do see weaknesses in both.

As for your comment about how your dad is in the military, or your uncle, or you have a friend of a friend...you never were....so you are only going from second hand experience.

PS Remember Kristin called you a whimpier than a girl! heh heh :D

<hr >
<font size=2 type="helvetica" color="blue">Hong Kong Phooey is a #1 superguy! </font>

GinSueDog
11-01-2001, 08:49 AM
This is a whole different debate. Yes, guns, bombs and ray beams are the tools of war. I think though that if the military is going to bother spending any time in hand to hand combat training that they may as well go with the styles proven effective whether it is BJJ, boxing or whatever. We all know that the military is and has put some time into hand to hand combat in the past whether it was effective or not has been the question.

As for Kristen, any girl with boobies that big can call me anything she wants :D

Ford Prefect
11-01-2001, 05:08 PM
DP and post pics! Wait, where am I again?

jimmy23
11-01-2001, 05:21 PM
"you know this is one thing i was wondering about why does traditional ju jitsu have ground fighting / throws , and breakffalling ,
i was like ok look theres 300 armed samurai coming towards me , oh sod the katana lemme arm bar him ..."

traditional ju jitsu was designed by peasants. Because samurai would often kill thm for imagined slights, they needed a hand to hand system that would allow them , unarmed, to win over a trained, armored, swordbearing foe. It worked ,hence its still around

"You guys have obviously never done any real fighting if you are mocking spitting"
Spinning Backfist

MIKSANSOO
11-01-2001, 08:09 PM
hey ginsue,

TROLL!! :D j/k who's kristen and what did she call you? i remember kickin ant hills as a kid and pouring water and soda down them. but seriously the military know what they're doing in regards to training. I think :rolleyes:

"you can take my life, but not my confidence"
Jimmy H. Woo

Water Dragon
11-01-2001, 09:47 PM
Seriously though, the reason BJJ is being taught to the military is not because it is the best art around. The reason is because it can be effectively taught to a large amount of people in a short amount of time. What the Army is teaching is not BJJ but a few moves from the system that have a good chance of saving someone's ass against an opponent unfamiliar with the ground.

Did you think we didn't know that Ed? :D ;)

Buhma
11-01-2001, 10:03 PM
We all know Gimp-dog is a troll. He just loves promoting his BJJ Jihad crap. Hey Gimp-dog...go recruit for your BJJ Taliban somewhere else!

<hr>
If ya ain't got the skills, I will take you out!

Water Dragon
11-01-2001, 10:13 PM
SifuAbel is correct.

Everyone knows that the only reason that Monkey Style is not taught in the military is that it takes 275 years to reach proficiency.