PDA

View Full Version : Why TMA peeps are needed

MightyB
08-06-2010, 05:48 AM
surprise can win a match. In competition it's usually accomplished through an introduction of a technique that a person hasn't seen before, or inventing something new. We actually need people to stay in TMA / TCMA to preserve the catalog of techniques. They may not be able to pull them off, but the knowledge of the technique is preserved. I'll use a traditional Judo example in regards to BJJ. In BJJ, you're taught to either have both arms in to pass a guard, or both arms out. One arm is bad. A lot of people pass both arms out.

Here's a Judo technique that's not often seen in BJJ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfbnLVqNEYc. Look at the 30 second mark. BJJers, try that next time someone tries to get both arms out to pass your guard.

sanjuro_ronin
08-06-2010, 05:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Ooqe2Ta00&feature=related

This one is more instructional.

If you can get it in before the guy tucks his chin, you MAY pull it off.

MightyB
08-06-2010, 06:15 AM
point is if people always gravitate to the high percentage MMA moves, you'll start to get a very limited set of techniques that everyone works on and everyone knows. Every now and again a MMA person may walk into a TMA / TCMA school and find something that hasn't been seen in awhile or ever and learn how to use it effectively. Simpler to do that than to try and reinvent the wheel.

sanjuro_ronin
08-06-2010, 06:19 AM
point is if people always gravitate to the high percentage MMA moves, you'll start to get a very limited set of techniques that everyone works on and everyone knows. Every now and again a MMA person may walk into a TMA / TCMA school and find something that hasn't been seen in awhile or ever and learn how to use it effectively. Simpler to do that than to try and reinvent the wheel.

Couldn't agree more.
As I have often said, bringing something different to the table gives you an edge, always does, IF you can apply it.
I remember a friend of mine asking why I "bother" with certain exotic tecniques or styles, like SPM and the 'specialty fists" and I simply replied, "because they are NOT common and in that, they have unique value".

sanjuro_ronin
08-06-2010, 06:21 AM
There is an old style of Judo, Kawaishi-ryu ( Method) and it is pure old school Judo, you should see the subs they have.

HumbleWCGuy
08-06-2010, 06:32 AM
surprise can win a match. In competition it's usually accomplished through an introduction of a technique that a person hasn't seen before, or inventing something new. We actually need people to stay in TMA / TCMA to preserve the catalog of techniques. They may not be able to pull them off, but the knowledge of the technique is preserved. I'll use a traditional Judo example in regards to BJJ. In BJJ, you're taught to either have both arms in to pass a guard, or both arms out. One arm is bad. A lot of people pass both arms out.

Here's a Judo technique that's not often seen in BJJ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfbnLVqNEYc. Look at the 30 second mark. BJJers, try that next time someone tries to get both arms out to pass your guard.

I have said just the same thing over and over. I wish that meatheads ,who claim to be mmaists, would get off their high-horse and recognize that without tma that they are out there reinventing the wheel. Since they are obviously all followers just repeating mantras told to them, they at least need to realize that they aren't smart enough to reinvent anything and should just look to borrow from tma.

On a different note, I claim to be traditional not because the training is traditional so much as part of my purpose in teaching martial arts is to preserve a library of techniques that I learned even if I don't fully understand how to functionalize all of them.

Iron_Eagle_76
08-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Often times I hear high kicks are not applicable for MMA because of the take down risk, which is valid. But trained right they can be effective. Watch Superfoot's use of the hook kick and side kick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZs0TToMc7U

Granted this could not be used to the extent it is used in the clip in a kickboxing match, but done right it could be utilized.

Also found this, interesting clip of a Kung Fu stylist fighting in MMA. Looks like he has done some cross training, but you can certainly pick out the Kung Fu techniques in his arsenal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C56LglkrxMs

HumbleWCGuy
08-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Often times I hear high kicks are not applicable for MMA because of the take down risk, which is valid. But trained right they can be effective. Watch Superfoot's use of the hook kick and side kick.

Granted this could not be used to the extent it is used in the clip in a kickboxing match, but done right it could be utilized.

Also found this, interesting clip of a Kung Fu stylist fighting in MMA. Looks like he has done some cross training, but you can certainly pick out the Kung Fu techniques in his arsenal.

high kicks are used all the time in mma by people are are trained properly. I though that Cro Crop put the issue to bed.

Iron_Eagle_76
08-06-2010, 07:14 AM
:D
high kicks are used all the time in mma by people are are trained properly. I though that Cro Crop put the issue to bed.

I wouldn't say all the time, and when they do it is usually a roundhouse kick. Not that it is not a great kick, but more exotic kicks like hook and ax kick are uncommon. Also, Cro Cop was a world class kickboxer before he started in MMA.

HumbleWCGuy
08-06-2010, 07:19 AM
:D

I wouldn't say all the time, and when they do it is usually a roundhouse kick. Not that it is not a great kick, but more exotic kicks like hook and ax kick are uncommon. Also, Cro Cop was a world class kickboxer before he started in MMA.

To some extent my point is that high kicks are pretty common when people are trained properly most of the mma community is not. Guys out of the Duke Roufuses gym will throw some high kicks, Cung le will, Silva, Etc. Etc.

The axe kick though is kind of a specialty kick. Not many people can use it very well. We do see jump kicks, spinning kicks, and Butterfly/scissor/jump kicks as well.

Sardinkahnikov
08-06-2010, 07:49 AM

That last video has some insteresting stuff. Nice to see something a little more "long-fisty" rather than the usual jousting punches + takedown all the time.

Dragonzbane76
08-06-2010, 08:16 AM
To some extent my point is that high kicks are pretty common when people are trained properly most of the mma community is not.

because it is a high risk tech. Not saying high kicks do not work but If you have a good wrestler with collegiate level shooting then High kicks become even more dangerous. Most people that are in mma have a wrestling background or some kind or grappling exp. levels the field.

Iron_Eagle_76
08-06-2010, 08:21 AM
That last video has some insteresting stuff. Nice to see something a little more "long-fisty" rather than the usual jousting punches + takedown all the time.

Yeah, the opening clip of him doing an Iron Broom sweep was awesome.

I think one of the biggest problems Kung Fu faces is the fact that it has been imbedded in people's heads that if it is not Muay Thai, Boxing, BJJ, or wrestling, it sucks and is not applicable to MMA. This is nothing more than bull sh**it propaganda that can be blamed on everything from the UFC marketing machine to idiotic troll websites like Bullshido.

Also take into consideration the fact that Kung Fu will always be cross trained in when it comes to fighting in an MMA venue. This doesn't take away from the style, it just adds to it. No one says Muay Thai sucks because you have to train BJJ to get a ground game, so why is it different with Kung Fu? Granted it is a given that many Kung Fu styles are less practical than others, but there are good and bad in everything.

But to get back to the original point of the post, exotic or uncommon techniques can and do work with those who train them and make them work individually. Jon "Bones" Jones is a great example of this.

Shaolin
08-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Don't worry brothers the trend will shift, it does every 5 years. Give it another 2 years and the MMA schools are going to have to adapt to us. Most MMA schools are going to close because the field is over saturated with them right now. The ones that do survive are going to start hiring karate and kung fu instructors and create strictly self defense classes. No matter what the trend is the industry always shifts back to self defense and fitness.