PDA

View Full Version : Master Samuel Kwok brings Fists of Fury back to Long Beach, California!

WCWC
08-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Grandmaster Kwok will conduct a seminar in Ip Man Wing Chun on October 9th, 2010 at the Belmont Shores Chalet in Long Beach, California. Although Grandmaster Kwok teaches through out Europe, Asia, South America, and Australia, this will be his first seminar in California.

Kwok has studied Wing Chun Kung Fu for over forty-three years and has dedicated his life to the preservation of his Ip Man lineage. He is the only Wing Chun master to have studied under both of Ip Man’s sons, Ip Ching and Ip Chun. Grand Master Ip Man trained martial art’s film star Bruce Lee in Wing Chun while he lived in Hong Kong, and has been the recent subject of the critically acclaimed movies Ip Man and Ip Man 2.

Wing Chun’s specialty is in close contact combat. Its effectiveness is achieved through its skill and science rather than brute strength. It teaches the student to overcome their opponents strength by optimal body positioning and correct usage of energy while taking advantage of the shortest possible distance between the practitioner and the opponent. Wing Chun is unique in that there are no set of predefined movements. Students practice Chi Sau, a form of training that helps the student develop a responsive reflex and develops sensitivity, or “reacting to feeling rather than sight”.

Due to Wing Chun’s effectiveness, this martial art makes for an optimum form of self defense and is the ideal martial art for women and children, as well as men. Grandmaster Kwok encourages new and skilled students of Wing Chun attend, as well as practitioners of varying martial arts backgrounds. The principles, theories and techniques of Wing Chun may be applied in any fighting application.

Grandmaster Kwok will additionally be teaching a Chi Gung Seminar for Healing on the following day. Both seminars are organized by West Coast Wing Chun located in Long Beach, California under Sifu Bryan Talbot. For more information, contact Sifu Bryan at 310-612-7332 or go to http://www.ipmankungfu.com

bennyvt
08-06-2010, 08:34 PM
fists of fury, LOL

Wu Wei Wu
08-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Trying to assert a dubious connection between Bruce Lee and Samuel Kwok is misrepresentation, no?

Suki

p.s. If I wanted to find out what Wing Chun Bruce Lee learnt, I would have to research Yip Man, Wong Shun Leung AND Fook Yueng.

Fists of Fury, lol.

t_niehoff
08-18-2010, 10:55 AM
It seems the ad is using "Fists of Fury" as a sexy synonym for WCK (wing chun is fists of fury) -- while obviously making that BL connection. So what? Like it or not, most people associate WCK and BL. And if it weren't for BL, WCK's would be hardly known to any of us.

At least he seems to grasp that "Wing Chun’s specialty is in close contact combat."

k gledhill
08-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Ive met and done chi-sao with "Grandmaster":D Sam several times...wrister.;) wrists' of fury ...:D

RGVWingChun
08-26-2010, 05:42 AM
what do you mean by "wrister"?

k gledhill
08-26-2010, 06:14 AM
Using wrists to feel and place force at the end of the arm in chi-sao...also chasing hands.

RGVWingChun
08-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Using wrists to feel and place force at the end of the arm in chi-sao...also chasing hands.

i've worked with him before at private trainings and seminars and never got that from him...he is pretty knowledgeable about different chi sau methods and such...curious, but did he control you or were you able to best him since he was wristing?

k gledhill
08-26-2010, 06:48 PM
who got the better of who doesnt really matter, wristing is wrisitng...it has meaning to 'non-wristers'....secret code.;)

RGVWingChun
08-27-2010, 05:49 AM
curious but do you know of any examples of "non wristers" on youtube that I might be able to check out to compare? Don't know why but I'm still having trouble understanding the wrister vs. non-wrister thingy

k gledhill
08-27-2010, 06:12 AM
curious but do you know of any examples of "non wristers" on youtube that I might be able to check out to compare? Don't know why but I'm still having trouble understanding the wrister vs. non-wrister thingy

go to this site and you will see a tab with 'new video' it shows an exchange of striking chi-sao ;) http://www.philippbayer.net
(http://www.philippbayer.net)

hpclub
09-07-2010, 06:30 AM
I chi sau with Master Kwok on a regular basis both at his club and private lessons.

I concur with RGV that his style of chi sau can often change depending on who he is training with. This can range from a more direct striking method through to not much striking but manipulation of your structure by getting you to use the wrong energy (and then striking).

I would say he chi sau's AT the wrists but energy is generated through his whole hips, stance elbows and shoulders at times.

Im also curious. If your not a wrister what are you? Forearmer or elbower?

k gledhill
09-07-2010, 06:41 AM
your not developing simultaneous striking/deflecting punches that intersect the centerline.
once you adopt the wrist as a point of energy release for 'contact' on anothers bridge you stop several basic ideas from further development.
One, your timing
Two, you use 2 arms equally extended along the centrline, making you vulnerable to counters ....outside chi-sao drills.
Three, the alignment of your punches and structure unity is compromised for 'over trapping'
and 'over chasing' for a false sense of 'hand control' .
more but that is for starters....
it is easier to show against a sparring event than mutual chi-sao exchanges simply because in chi-sao we equalize with each other....exercises for mutual development. not the actual fighting method we adopt.

hpclub
09-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Sou would it be fair to say as an example of what you are saying that when responding to an attack (lets say forwarding energy by a Tan Sau) you would simply Jum Sau at an angle and continue cutting through the attack.

Rather than........?

RGVWingChun
09-07-2010, 09:42 AM
your not developing simultaneous striking/deflecting punches that intersect the centerline.
once you adopt the wrist as a point of energy release for 'contact' on anothers bridge you stop several basic ideas from further development.
One, your timing
Two, you use 2 arms equally extended along the centrline, making you vulnerable to counters ....outside chi-sao drills.
Three, the alignment of your punches and structure unity is compromised for 'over trapping'
and 'over chasing' for a false sense of 'hand control' .
more but that is for starters....
it is easier to show against a sparring event than mutual chi-sao exchanges simply because in chi-sao we equalize with each other....exercises for mutual development. not the actual fighting method we adopt.

I really don't see how "wristing" stops timing or how it makes you vulnerable to counters....I teach chi sau along the same lines through Ip Ching's methods as my Sifu teaches me, and we are pretty realistic about how it is used in real fighting and what options are available, etc....I just don't think the "wristing" is a valid critique

k gledhill
09-07-2010, 03:29 PM
I really don't see how "wristing" stops timing or how it makes you vulnerable to counters....I teach chi sau along the same lines through Ip Ching's methods as my Sifu teaches me, and we are pretty realistic about how it is used in real fighting and what options are available, etc....I just don't think the "wristing" is a valid critique

Simple , it makes your focus out at the end of your hands moving offline, up, down , sideways ....no direct simultaneous striking in one action. IOW the downward defections usually done in 'chi-sao' are great for 'chi-sao' BUT you cant use the same dwonward wrist deflection and strike in the same beat...ever. And yet you do it 1000's of times in a drill.

k gledhill
09-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Sou would it be fair to say as an example of what you are saying that when responding to an attack (lets say forwarding energy by a Tan Sau) you would simply Jum Sau at an angle and continue cutting through the attack.

Rather than........?

tan sao is a strike developing against its opposite partner jum sao, its not fighting in chi-sao its , mutual, development of an idea. IOW I would'nt use wrist force to establish bridge controls in a 'drill' thats redundant to sparring methods...follow. Its like your blind to the goal and playing in the drills instead. Common.

hpclub
09-08-2010, 03:24 AM
Are you the riddler in disguise ;-)?

k gledhill
09-11-2010, 06:12 AM
the vt system is the only time we place our elbows in such acute angles, the drills further the elbows inward striking and natural deflection lines. We use each other in facing drills with each arm developing the partners counter striking arm.....striking not feeling.
feeling is a by-product of the drills not the primary goal.iow we aren't trying to be feelers, we are developing strong striking ,structured,fighters ....

bennyvt
09-12-2010, 01:40 AM
By using the wrist more then the rest of the arm it leads to the wrist going too far if the force is removed. Meaning when the person moves the hand you tend to go across. In the WSL line we tend to emphasis the elbow as this is a weird concept to get a hold of and it leads to using the arm from the elbow to the wrist. If your emphasis is on the wrist it tends to mean you can't block with the elbow while still striking. Once you get the idea its really the entire lower arm. It takes practice to train the arm to be lead by the elbow and not the wrist.
Its like when swimming freestyle you are told to move your knees not your feet as this recuits the glutes and not just the quads.

k gledhill
09-12-2010, 10:40 AM
...exactly, and the traps & pec 'shoulder girdle' muscles attach the structure/body behind the lower arm/fixed elbow actions, adding, using momentum of simultaneous explosive body movement , hip movement etc...
If you use the wrists alone your using 1/4's of the body hinging at the shoulder ...iow, arm's used separately from body unity. And if you meet resisting force from a wrister its far easier to navigate past the arm to the head, or manipulate the opponents axis line and turn them easily...simple levers.

Once you fight this method you see why everyone untrained in this method is a 'wrister', wrisitng or using the distal portion of the arm as the force/contact point.

Boxers are taught to keep low elbows for similar use, the arms take the blows or simply create a harder line to strike in to...

As benny mentions, if you mistakenly cross the centerline it becomes clear how the fixed elbow fighter takes advantage by facing squarely at angles or head on....

genius

no matter what you do to the lead man sao the rear always shoots in to m aintain attacks...unless it meets itself ; )

hskwarrior
09-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Jeung Hung Sing : Victory to the Hung Mun
In the mountains of Chinas’ Guangxie Province in 1841, one of the famous 5 Ancestors of the Hung Mun Secret Society was living out the last days of his life when a 17 year old Jeung Ah Yim came searching for him. Once he learned of Jeung Ah Yim’s real purpose for being there he chose to take him on as a student and taught Jeung Ah Yim the art Fut Gar Kuen, taught him Chinese Medicine, and instilled the revolutionary spirit in him and personally groomed him to become a fighting squad commander called a Red Pole.

The Monk Ching Cho then renamed Jeung Ah Yim. The new name was Hung Sing which was a synonym for a 4 character slogan that refers to the Hung Mun winning the Victory. This 4 Character slogan is found on the flags of all 5 Hung Mun lodges as Winning the victory in overthrowing the Qing Empire was one of their strongest sentiments.

One of the most important bases for the Hung Mun was in the city of Fut San. Since a revolution was a bout to take place, the Green Grass Monk sent the newly named Jeung Hung Sing To Fut San to contact their leaders and open a location to begin teaching their freedom fighters.

Jeung Hung Sing’s gung fu swarmed over Fut San where entire neighborhoods were used as Hung Sing training halls (1849). Then in time with the Tai Ping Rebellion (1851) Jeung Hung Sing officially launched the Fut San Hung Sing Kwoon. From that point forward, he and his disciples were involved with every major uprising in southern china including the 2nd Opium War, the Red Turban Revolt, and even defended the city of Fut San during the Japanese invasion, in which they later got a commendation from the government for protecting their country.

In 1832 a member of the Green Grass Monk’s lodge which later changed its name to the Ghee Kung Tong arrived to set up their lodge in San Francisco. Here, the Hung Sing lineage once again reconnected on this continent with the Hung Mun in the 1930’s and has continued on through the present day.
But, the original Hung Sing name did eventually bring on some negative attention and Jeung Hung Sing was forced to change his schools name to avoid further drama.

Although the new Hung Sing name was less obvious, it was filled with a few connections to the Green Grass monk. This name change took place sometime prior or just after the passing of Chan Heung in 1875. And according to the Chan Family, it’s possible the name also stood for “Lofty Achievements” since Jeung Hung Sing was recognized for being one of southern China’s greatest fighters.

洪勝 The original name given to Jeung Ah Yim by the Green Grass Monk.
Victory to the Hung Mun

鴻勝 The new name Jeung Ah Yim used to replace the original.
Glorious Victory

I am proud to be from a long line of fighters, as well as members of the Hung Mun. I am honored to carry the same rank once shared by Jeung Hung Sing, Lau Bun, Jew Leong, my sifu, and even my brother Dr. Sun Yat Sen. Long Live the Hung Sing lineage.

洪 * 門 *.´. * 三 * 川 * 口 * 四 * 二 * 六 * 2B1A1

Congratulations Grandmaster Frank, you are now the founder of a new style or a new branch of CLF! We can now all kowtow to you, Grandmaster Frank.

XJ

Knifefighter
09-27-2010, 10:13 AM
go to this site and you will see a tab with 'new video' it shows an exchange of striking chi-sao ;) http://www.philippbayer.net
(http://www.philippbayer.net)

That was pretty bad, itself.

k gledhill
09-28-2010, 10:45 PM
That was pretty bad, itself.

how so ? what struck you as 'bad' :D