PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning Wiki

JamesC
08-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Okay, so i'm getting tired of the countless websites devoted to "MMA conditioning" and similar stuff. Not saying it isn't useful, but i'm curious why there is no central site for conditioning on a more traditional martial arts level as well.

For example, there are so many styles of kung fu, karate, grappling arts, etc., and they all have their own version of pretty much the same thing. Different ways of doing iron palm, iron forearm, stretching, cardio, strength, training apparatus, drilling, and so on.

Obviously there are going to be certain styles and practices that contradict each other, and that's probably the biggest problem, but why wouldn't it be possible to include training programs from all styles on one large database?

The only way this would ever work is if it were a wiki. This would allow people from various places to include their own, regardless of what other styles think of it.

I'm kinda hoping something similar to this already exists, but I highly doubt it.

Those more experienced than me please chime. I'm interested in where the biggest problems would arise in something like this.

Frost
08-07-2010, 10:47 AM
if you think getting people to agree on TMA is hard try reading the conditioning boards on various sites :)

the fact is people have their own ideas what works and dont realise that what works for them might not work for another person, add to that virtually no real research has een done on conditioning as it relates to MMA and matial arts in general and you have a reciept for desaster

ShaolinDan
08-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Frost
if you think getting people to agree on TMA is hard try reading the conditioning boards on various sites

That's too funny. :)

sanjuro_ronin
08-09-2010, 06:09 AM
The thing is, conditioning ( be it the physical kind like cardio or the forging kind like IP) is highly task specific.
Sure there is always SOME transference but when you see a world class marathon runner burn out on the heavy bag in less then 3 min, you understand that world class in A doesn't translate to that much in B.
Another example is taking a world class striker, one that can strike for hours and see him gas in 5 minutes of grappling and vice-verse of course.

Conditioning MUST, like strength training, have specific goals.

Set your goals and then base a training program around them.
IF you have no specific goals then just a general conditoning rpgram is fine of course, but realize that is ALL you will get out of it:
Some general fitness, conditioning and strength.
For specific increases you need a specific goal and a program tailored to those goals.