PDA

View Full Version : Ufc 117

Hebrew Hammer
08-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Anyone have a link for the fight vid? I heard Sonnen absolutely dominated till late in the 5th round and got submitted by triangle.

goju
08-07-2010, 11:17 PM
fron what ive heard he was just letting sonnen hit him and not even putting up much of a defense from the first round hands down just taking it then the sub came out of no where so maybe silva was riding him out to prove a point?

SavvySavage
08-08-2010, 06:16 AM
I saw the fight. The theme was American bs Brazillian in every fight. I wonder if they did that on purpose or that's just how the cards fell.

Sonnen was doing the wet rag attack the whole fight that GSP and others are famous for doing. Silva was even getting dominated during their minimal stand up sessions before Sonnen took him down and bashed his face in for 5 rounds. Almost at the end of the 5th Andersoj pulls out the submission. Then came the, "He didn't tap". Then they went to the video and showed that he did tap unless he was trying futily to slap Silva's thigh to try to get out.

Silva looked like crap at the end of the match with his teammates holding him up. I don't think Silva purposely put himself through all that to prove a point. More than likely he couldn't stop the take downs.

Dragonzbane76
08-08-2010, 06:38 AM
haha I heard Steven segal was in Andersons corner? True?

SavvySavage
08-08-2010, 06:59 AM
haha I heard Steven segal was in Andersons corner? True?

Steven Seagal was giving him tips on how to start his movie career. UFC 117 should have been called "Hard To Kill Anderson Silva" cause he just wouldn't stop. I have no idea if Seagal was there.

Three Harmonies
08-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Seagal was in the crowd and offered Silva good luck before he entered the cage.

Good fight! Did not hear any **** talking fro Chael after!
JAB

SavvySavage
08-08-2010, 09:17 AM

JAB

Before the fight he promised to have Silva on his back more than a prostitute with a mortgage. That was classic! But he lost in the end so he couldn't really **** talk anymore.

Hebrew Hammer
08-08-2010, 09:20 AM

JAB

I watched the ESPN real time, MMA Live announcer was giving complete domination, even a 10-8 round to Sonnen...so he backed up his trash talk. When Anderson secured the arm bar, he said it was all Seagal (heavy sarcasm)...hilarious.

Here is a link to most of the fight vids:

http://mixedmartialartvideos.com/

Wow, what a great fight!!! Much respect for both men...Sonnen let it get away and the champ came back from nowhere!

Dragonzbane76
08-08-2010, 02:32 PM
thanks for posting the vid. appreciate it. :)

sonnen dominated the whole fight. Great wrestling. Looks like he's been studying the GSP handbook. :)

curious the amount of trash talking and discrediting that will take place of the tap out.

SoCo KungFu
08-08-2010, 07:39 PM
sonnen dominated the whole fight. Great wrestling. Looks like he's been studying the GSP handbook. :)

Sonnen was a Div 1 AA and Olympic alternate. Not to mention this is how he's beat all his best competition. GSP's wrestling isn't in the same category as Sonnen. Not to knock GSP. But it took a lot more than just the ability to get a double to keep Silva on his back that whole fight. I don't know if GSP has that level of total control, he could take Silva down but I don't think he'd keep him there like happened with Sonnen. I agree though, Silva got dominated. He might have got the W in the end. But he got his ass beat for 23 minutes. The thing that sucks for Sonnen though is that armbar wasn't really set, I think if he wouldn't have tapped he'd probably have slipped out of it. Silva was just controlling the wrist 1 on 1, Sonnen probably could have rotated the arm a bit to relieve some pressure and gone from there. That said, he needs to work on his sub defense before a rematch. Silva was setting that particular triangle up for a bout 15 seconds or so (and really trying to isolate an arm the whole fight), Sonnen should have recognized it.

SavvySavage
08-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Sonnen was a Div 1 AA and Olympic alternate. Not to mention this is how he's beat all his best competition. GSP's wrestling isn't in the same category as Sonnen. Not to knock GSP. But it took a lot more than just the ability to get a double to keep Silva on his back that whole fight. I don't know if GSP has that level of total control, he could take Silva down but I don't think he'd keep him there like happened with Sonnen. I agree though, Silva got dominated. He might have got the W in the end. But he got his ass beat for 23 minutes. The thing that sucks for Sonnen though is that armbar wasn't really set, I think if he wouldn't have tapped he'd probably have slipped out of it. Silva was just controlling the wrist 1 on 1, Sonnen probably could have rotated the arm a bit to relieve some pressure and gone from there. That said, he needs to work on his sub defense before a rematch. Silva was setting that particular triangle up for a bout 15 seconds or so (and really trying to isolate an arm the whole fight), Sonnen should have recognized it.

GSP has stated interest in fighting Anderson Silva but after this match Silva would probably be hesitant to battle another good wrestler. I believe that Koscheck was a division 1 wrestler and GSP dominated him wrestling wise.

What I'm wondering is if a fast rematch can be justified since Silva clearly won in the end. Dominated or not Sonnen tapped.

sanjuro_ronin
08-09-2010, 06:03 AM
So, Sonned threw everything he had at Silva, and the kitchen sink, and it didn't beat him and then the first opportunity Silva had, he took Sonnen out.
Sounds like the qualities that make someone a champion.

Three Harmonies
08-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Perhaps Sonnen should have trained a bit more and **** talked a bit less.

m1k3
08-09-2010, 08:24 AM
So, Sonned threw everything he had at Silva, and the kitchen sink, and it didn't beat him and then the first opportunity Silva had, he took Sonnen out.
Sounds like the qualities that make someone a champion.

This really reminded me of the 1st Ali - Frazier fight. Ali went from some mythic figure who the traditional boxing folks hated for all his show boating and trash talking to simply being a great fighter and champion, who won the respect of the boxing world in spite of the loss.

Maybe the same will happen with Silva now.

sanjuro_ronin
08-09-2010, 08:33 AM
This really reminded me of the 1st Ali - Frazier fight. Ali went from some mythic figure who the traditional boxing folks hated for all his show boating and trash talking to simply being a great fighter and champion, who won the respect of the boxing world in spite of the loss.

Maybe the same will happen with Silva now.

Well, I don't follow MMA that much, but was Silva NOT Respected before this?

m1k3
08-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Well, I don't follow MMA that much, but was Silva NOT Respected before this?

For his skill, yes. But, he did a lot of fights with a fair amount of show boating and mocking his opponents in the ring by clowning around, dropping his hands or sticking out his chin and dancing around and more stuff like that. It really annoyed Dana White and a lot of the fans.

This just might be his wake up call.

SavvySavage
08-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Perhaps Sonnen should have trained a bit more and **** talked a bit less.

Keep in mind that Sonnen was dominating right up until the end of the final round. It looked like Silva hadn't been training compared to Sonnen. Sonnen made good on all his promises and if he had avoided the submission he would have won. I was waiting for him to submit Silva at some point.

Couldn't it be said that Silva won by luck? I know he was trying to set this submission up but he was getting pummeled in the process.

Dragonzbane76
08-09-2010, 09:05 AM
it was very close for sonnen escaping the sub. he was in the right position sitting back and looked to be getting his head back. I think if he would have stuck it out for a couple more seconds Silva would have let go. so close.

Iron_Eagle_76
08-09-2010, 10:00 AM
I will say that for all the sh**it Sonnen talked coming into this fight, he brought his A game and backed it up and took the fight to Silva like no one I have ever seen before. Hopefully the rematch will live up to this fight.

As for Silva, I agree that it is the mark of a great champion to come back after four rounds of being dismantled, which is what Sonnen did. Maybe the aura of invincibility has been lifted from Silva, which may be a good thing even for him. I hope Silva quits some of the stupid theatrics he has done in the past and maybe this will serve as a good wake up call.

goju
08-09-2010, 10:51 AM
uh no to be an ass but he kind of didnt back up his talk outside of the take down bit since he lost and all thus at least 90 percent of what he claimed didnt happen :eek:

SavvySavage
08-09-2010, 11:17 AM
uh no to be an ass but he kind of didnt back up his talk outside of the take down bit since he lost and all thus at least 90 percent of what he claimed didnt happen :eek:

Don't ever disagree, Goju. Am I goingnto have to throw out the death match invitation?

You don't lend any credence to the fact that he would have won based on points had he not been submitted? Since he was submitted this is a void argument but I figured I'd try anyway.

goju
08-09-2010, 11:32 AM
LOL meet me at the jungle gym at sun down :mad:

I mean yeah he would have won if it wasn't for the sub but could of should of would haves dont matter. All that does is who wins and loses in the end.

Granted sonnen is an elite fighter and he tried his best and deserves respect for getting to the elitelevel in MMA and putting on a good show vs the champ but his smack talking wasn't backed up by any means or he would have the belt around his waist right now.

Applaud the man for his efforts certainly but dont exaggerate what he did or try to paint it in a different light. He lost plain and simple.

SavvySavage
08-09-2010, 11:44 AM
LOL meet me at the jungle gym at sun down :mad:

I mean yeah he would have won if it wasn't for the sub but could of should of would haves dont matter. All that does is who wins and loses in the end.

Granted sonnen is an elite fighter and he tried his best and deserves respect for getting to the elitelevel in MMA and putting on a good show vs the champ but his smack talking wasn't backed up by any means or he would have the belt around his waist right now.

Applaud the man for his efforts certainly but dont exaggerate what he did or try to paint it in a different light. He lost plain and simple.

Was this the same jungle gym I beat your ass at last time?

goju
08-09-2010, 12:09 PM
the sun was in my eyes and you got lucky!:D

Iron_Eagle_76
08-09-2010, 12:16 PM

Guess we must have watched a different fight:rolleyes: Sonnen dominated Silva for four rounds. No one is disputing the fact that he lost, but he took Silva down at will and actually got the better of him standing up. He suprised the shi**t out of me with his skills.

Also, did it seem like Silva was just trying to get the fight over with? I really think Silva needs to find some kind of inspiration again or retire, because he acts like he just doesn't want to fight anymore. I read somewhere that supposedly he had a cracked rib so that might be why he seemed so sluggish, just doesn't seem to fight with the same passion he used to.

monji112000
08-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Chael is a tough SOB, and a very good wrestler. I didn't really think he brought much else to the fight. Anderson was hurt, if that made a difference I don't know.. That was probably the hardest fight he has ever had.

Chael taped, and Anderson had a strong triangle on him.. Chael wasn't going anywhere..

Just listen to what Dana has to say about the fight..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5m1MTTs1ss

I would love to see a rematch. Anderson in a rematch would do allot better..

Great fight.. a bunch of good fights..

SavvySavage
08-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Guess we must have watched a different fight:rolleyes: Sonnen dominated Silva for four rounds. No one is disputing the fact that he lost, but he took Silva down at will and actually got the better of him standing up. He suprised the shi**t out of me with his skills.

Also, did it seem like Silva was just trying to get the fight over with? I really think Silva needs to find some kind of inspiration again or retire, because he acts like he just doesn't want to fight anymore. I read somewhere that supposedly he had a cracked rib so that might be why he seemed so sluggish, just doesn't seem to fight with the same passion he used to.

I think Silva meant to end the fight quickly. Isn't that the point to avoid taking damage? He went the while fight. He isn't as hungry as Sonnon cause he's been the champ for awhile. Instead of gaining a belt he has the young guns aiming for him. Silva has the most to lose while his opponents have fame and some fortune to gain.

SoCo KungFu
08-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Chael is a tough SOB, and a very good wrestler. I didn't really think he brought much else to the fight. Anderson was hurt, if that made a difference I don't know.. That was probably the hardest fight he has ever had.

Chael taped, and Anderson had a strong triangle on him.. Chael wasn't going anywhere..

Just listen to what Dana has to say about the fight..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5m1MTTs1ss

I would love to see a rematch. Anderson in a rematch would do allot better..

Great fight.. a bunch of good fights..

It wasn't the triangle that tapped him. He was on his way out of the triangle. He had body leverage and Silva lost control of his head. It was the armbar that got him. And at the time he had that weird spasm tap, Silva only had his locked arm controlled with one hand. Silva's legs, being in a triangle position, weren't in proper place to control Sonnen's arm. With only one hand on the wrist, no bicep control or anything with the other hand, Sonnen could have rotated the arm and pulled out of it. I think he's kicking himself right now for that tap, he really didn't need to do so.

I agree though we need a rematch.

Here's the thing that I thought was interesting. Silva's striking is always so dominate. Yet Sonnen made him look bad. Not even talking about Sonnen rocking him. I'm talking about how Silva got pressured and he himself started throwing wildly. Not as bad as other fighters, it is still Silva. But def not his normal composed, pin point striking. I'd have to wonder if some of those wild hooks had been more controlled, would he have connected and KO'd Sonnen?

goju
08-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Here's the thing that I thought was interesting. Silva's striking is always so dominate. Yet Sonnen made him look bad. Not even talking about Sonnen rocking him. I'm talking about how Silva got pressured and he himself started throwing wildly. Not as bad as other fighters, it is still Silva. But def not his normal composed, pin point striking. I'd have to wonder if some of those wild hooks had been more controlled, would he have connected and KO'd Sonnen?

well his ribs were ****ed up so that pretty much explains it

SoCo KungFu
08-09-2010, 04:42 PM
well his ribs were ****ed up so that pretty much explains it

Maybe but I doubt that. They may have been effecting his grappling, but he was still lobbing bombs in the standup. He wasn't focused. Every time Sonnen made range Silva was swinging for the fence. If his ribs were hurting that bad he'd be more conservative especially since he's a natural counterstriker anyways. He looked more like Melvin Guillard trying to put one out than Anderson Silva.

Iron_Eagle_76
08-10-2010, 05:36 AM
I think Silva meant to end the fight quickly. Isn't that the point to avoid taking damage? He went the while fight. He isn't as hungry as Sonnon cause he's been the champ for awhile. Instead of gaining a belt he has the young guns aiming for him. Silva has the most to lose while his opponents have fame and some fortune to gain.

Silva does have something to lose because Dana White is sick of his retarded theatrics and bull shi**t. The problem is you never know which Anderson Silva will show up, the pound for pound baddest mofo in MMA, or the clown who dances around and girates to the crowd with his hands down and acting like a **** fool.

I don't like White that well but he knew what he was doing by giving Chael Sonnen a shot, because he knew he would go into the fight balls to the wall and put on a show, and in the end, that is what it is all about. Just like Forrest did, only Chael didn't get KTFO 30 seconds into the first round with a jab.:D

Hebrew Hammer
08-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Maybe but I doubt that. They may have been effecting his grappling, but he was still lobbing bombs in the standup. He wasn't focused. Every time Sonnen made range Silva was swinging for the fence. If his ribs were hurting that bad he'd be more conservative especially since he's a natural counterstriker anyways. He looked more like Melvin Guillard trying to put one out than Anderson Silva.

Agreed, I don't buy the hurt ribs story either, if you watched him pre fight throwing his hands up in the air and watched his reactions to the body blows (he doesn't flinch or wince in pain from what I saw)...it just doesnt' jell with rib injury...I've had a rib injury and it would be a mother effer to do those things or take that punishment. Maybe I'm just a mere mortal....

In a lot of ways this fight reminded me of the Cung Le Vs Scott Smith or Brock Lesner Vs Shane Corwin....one guy getting dominated and pulling it off in the end! Great card all around...loved the Brazilians vs USA sub plots as well.

Ultimatewingchun
08-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Sonnen (like Fedor) got caught being sloppy as he was dominating and pounding out his opponent.

My money says both would win a rematch (vs. Silva and Werdum, respectively).

Silva was exposed in this fight, as I see it.

SavvySavage
08-11-2010, 05:52 AM
I had a broken rib once and there was no freaking way I could get into the cage. I could barely walk straight without wincing. If some dude took me down I would have been yelling and not planning a submission.

Silva mentioned that he had a rib "injury" in the post fight interview and not that it was broken.