PDA

View Full Version : I learned this in kung fu

MasterKiller
08-08-2010, 05:28 AM
http://i36.tinypic.com/2metxs3.jpg

Frost
08-08-2010, 06:05 AM
any change of a link to the fight...cough cough :)

SPJ
08-08-2010, 08:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxuoDEB1XX4&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oKUTOLSeMM&feature=related

It takes kung fu/practice to be good at dancing, too.

distance, position, steps--- to the rythm of the music.

---

Yum Cha
08-08-2010, 06:17 PM
That's not a common escape in BJJ/MMA?

Can't remember where I learned it, but it was a long time ago....

I like the forward version, off an arm drag or trap, where you bring your heels around into the guys face.

TaichiMantis
08-08-2010, 09:15 PM
good to know our dive roll practice is not in vain...:D

tiaji1983
08-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Hmmm... I was taught if someone does a flip like that, run in and stomp his head while hes down, or get him while hes getting up and off balance... But I guess that would be frowned upon in sports...

On the other hand, when someone grabs your leg like that, as you could see the guy that grabbed the leg adjusted his foot after he grabbed to have a stable stance, you sink and bend the knee to pull them towards you, then you either strike them in the face, as both hands were commited to your foot, or kick back out...

HumbleWCGuy
08-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Hmmm... I was taught if someone does a flip like that, run in and stomp his head while hes down, or get him while hes getting up and off balance... But I guess that would be frowned upon in sports...

Easier said than done. Stomping a trained fighter like a chump isn't going to happen. You have to fight for it like anything else. It won't happen like that with evenly matched fighters.

HumbleWCGuy
08-08-2010, 11:07 PM
That's not a common escape in BJJ/MMA?

That's CMA all the way.

Yum Cha
08-08-2010, 11:12 PM

On the other hand, when someone grabs your leg like that, as you could see the guy that grabbed the leg adjusted his foot after he grabbed to have a stable stance, you sink and bend the knee to pull them towards you, then you either strike them in the face, as both hands were commited to your foot, or kick back out...

It was a bit of a rough roll...

Yum Cha
08-08-2010, 11:15 PM
That's CMA all the way.

If it is, I'm gobsmacked. It is so simple and so effective, it borders on common sense...

Dragonzbane76
08-09-2010, 03:20 AM
here we go, why does cma "claim" every little thing as being cma? really.

Lokhopkuen
08-09-2010, 03:54 AM
here we go, why does cma "claim" every little thing as being cma? really.

Because the Chinese invented water and cake and gun powder bro:rolleyes:

Dragonzbane76
08-09-2010, 04:04 AM
Because the Chinese invented water and cake and gun powder bro

and an oversized ego to boot it seems.

More mumbo jumbo....funny when you watch a fight and someone pulls something off that isn't seen to often and "blam" thats CMA right thar...

NO it's common sense that's all.

HumbleWCGuy
08-09-2010, 04:33 AM
and an oversized ego to boot it seems.

More mumbo jumbo....funny when you watch a fight and someone pulls something off that isn't seen to often and "blam" thats CMA right thar...

NO it's common sense that's all.

In 22 years I have never seen it taught or trained by anyone outside of CMA is why I say it is CMA. As far as common sense making something universal, It does not. For example, moving one's head to avoid punches seems to be so common sense that everyone would do it in martial arts yet, only boxing ever really does it.

Dragonzbane76
08-09-2010, 08:22 AM
In 22 years I have never seen it taught or trained by anyone outside of CMA is why I say it is CMA. As far as common sense making something universal, It does not. For example, moving one's head to avoid punches seems to be so common sense that everyone would do it in martial arts yet, only boxing ever really does it.

I've seen it in karate, caporia, I believe tkd as well. Maybe you need to expand your persective. as for your last opinion about boxing... so your saying that anyone else besides boxing just stays inline with taking punches in the face??

David Jamieson
08-09-2010, 08:40 AM
applying a front roll to that situation was a good move because it worked for him.

every martial arts training cycle I've been involved in has breakfall practices.
a front roll is one thing almost everyone does! Not just cma.

You find it in pretty much every martial arts regimen. somersault forwards, backwards, off the right/left shoulder etc and so on.

HumbleWCGuy
08-09-2010, 10:07 AM
I've seen it in karate, caporia, I believe tkd as well. Maybe you need to expand your persective. I have trained in and with people in Shotokan, TKD, JKD, Wing Chun, Kickboxing, boxing, "MMA," Kuk Sool Wan. Lots of them do it now because I taught it to them.

Maybe you need to expand your persective.
Absolutely! It's what I live to do.

as for your last opinion about boxing... so your saying that anyone else besides boxing just stays inline with taking punches in the face?? Not many arts are doing much beyond what is natural instinct. There isn't much of a sincere effort to train head movement in most arts unless they imported it from boxing.

Iron_Eagle_76
08-09-2010, 10:26 AM
I have trained in and with people in Shotokan, TKD, JKD, Wing Chun, Kickboxing, boxing, "MMA," Kuk Sool Wan. Lots of them do it now because I taught it to them.

Not arguing with you on this, but I find that hard to believe. Almost every TMA school I have worked out at taught students rolls and break falls, not just CMA. Hell, that was one of the first things taught to me in Shuri-Te Karate. Just saying.

HumbleWCGuy
08-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Not arguing with you on this, but I find that hard to believe. Almost every TMA school I have worked out at taught students rolls and break falls, not just CMA. Hell, that was one of the first things taught to me in Shuri-Te Karate. Just saying.

All teach rolls and break falls, it's just that I had never seen any use the roll to escape when a kick is caught. They would either try to punch out of it, hop around stupidly, or try a crazy Bruce lee acrobatic kick.

goju
08-09-2010, 10:47 AM
lol sonnen could have just came up with that tumble on the fly and not even practiced.learned it

Lucas
08-09-2010, 10:56 AM
lol sonnen could have just came up with that tumble on the fly and not even practiced.learned it

good chance, he didnt even go for his shoulder. maybe just because its crunch time do what you got to do, but if he did tons of shoulder rolls as a matter of training he likely would have gone to one side or the other favoring a shoulder.

meh who knows, its a roll....

goju
08-09-2010, 11:02 AM
yeah i mean some guys just pull out random weird stuff out of nowhere

look at uriah faber with his weird leaping attacks and butt drops and odd kicks from weird angles

its just being creative is all

PHILBERT
08-09-2010, 11:06 AM

Or saw it in a random Hong Kong film for all we know.

HumbleWCGuy
08-09-2010, 11:08 AM

He could have. I am not trying to make Sonnen a TCMA guy. I am only making the case that it is a pretty pretty slick maneuver that I have had a lot of success with that is also common technique to TCMA. It isn't quite the junk that people are making it out to be.

goju
08-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Or saw it in a random Hong Kong film for all we know.

lol maybe! i did that signature "rock bottom" throw that WWE wrestler the rock uses when i sparred a shaolin do guy once in class many moons ago :D

just saw it tv and thought id figure out away to do it for amusement and it worked

SoCo KungFu
08-09-2010, 02:00 PM

The cake is a lie...

SoCo KungFu
08-09-2010, 02:08 PM

Watch the rest of the fight and see why you don't blindly rush in on a world class wrestler. Silva was smart not to do so.

Conversely, this is why you don't throw a half ass leg kick on an elite level Thai boxer. Had he been closer it could have gone like:
http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/15124340-1310720795.html

Dragonzbane76
08-09-2010, 02:16 PM
I have trained in and with people in Shotokan, TKD, JKD, Wing Chun, Kickboxing, boxing, "MMA," Kuk Sool Wan. Lots of them do it now because I taught it to them.

grats...
anyways... so you taught the breakfall, You invented it and taught it to everyone else. ?? OK...

Not many arts are doing much beyond what is natural instinct. There isn't much of a sincere effort to train head movement in most arts unless they imported it from boxing.

I will agree that boxing takes head movement to the next level, but to intrinsically state that it is only boxing only beyond natural effort, is false. Maybe we should break it down more to explain our points to one another. Maybe the question should be "what is the difference between boxing and traditional marital arts head movement training?"

Yum Cha
08-09-2010, 02:47 PM

Not to mention, tea, opium and concubines...

tiaji1983
08-10-2010, 12:50 AM
well a trained fighter would know, if the fighters back is to you, and they have no intention but to escape, in the opposite direction of you, it wouldnt be that difficult to steal thier back. If the one who was grabbing the foot reacted to the roll instead of standing there, he couldve capitolized on the situation. Not saying the one doing the flip couldnt have moved, but he did put himself in a dangerous situation. He didnt even look to the opponent until he was getting on his feet.

PalmStriker
08-12-2010, 08:03 PM
The boxer in the green and yellow trunks let him get away. The flip was used because the other fighter new he had a surface more flexible than asphalt or concrete to land on. Throwing a half-assed frontal kick as previously mentioned in this thread is not a good idea.

David Jamieson
08-12-2010, 08:40 PM
http://www.cracked.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/sb69-10.jpg

Dragonzbane76
08-13-2010, 03:04 AM
that is some epic hair.

SoCo KungFu
08-13-2010, 12:02 PM
that is some epic hair.

Grizzly Adams meets Dragon Ball?

Those are also some epic pants.

KC Elbows
08-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Two months back, I saw the pamphlet that pic is from at 1/2 price books. It's Erle Montagiu or something like that, right?

I love the pics in that book, I regret not buying it when I saw it, for those pics alone.