PDA

View Full Version : Is this a hard break? (bottom brick in a stack of 4) vid

IronFist
08-09-2010, 11:56 PM
I should be in bed but I'm wasting time on Youtube instead :D

@ 2:07:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSYuOr_zfYw&feature=related

I've seen a few vids of people breaking the bottom in a stack of 2, but not 4 before. I don't know anything about selective breaking, though. Is more bricks harder than fewer? I also assume it's just a physics/pressure wave thing and doesn't really have anything to do with "projecting qi" or any of that stuff.

And those back of the hand breaks look like they would hurt.

teetsao
08-10-2010, 12:49 AM
it ain't easy. that is my bro. shane,and obvciously that is me(rod morgan) in that video.
you are correct,qi has nothing to do with it. there is an old chinese saying,"qi cannot effect the man made of stone,wood or glass" basically qi can only effect living material.
"vibration" is what breaks sh%t.living and non living. the breaking of the bottom is easier than the middle. just the top is a little different as you have to be realy fast. i have ony done it once. the longer you leave your hand on the stack the deeper the vibration goes,so it is in effect a timing thing. it takes practice and cannot be repeated exactly all the time.vibrational training is the key,if you are using legitamate bricks. we do not use half blocks(though we have in the past) as they are so easy to break it is ridiculous, you can actually lean your weight on 1 and it will snap.
but yes it is hard. go and buy some bricks and try it.
here is one of me, i just happened to on that day, i think it was my internal elixar,LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXqU6elmaDI

sanjuro_ronin
08-10-2010, 07:15 AM
Physics dictates that force travels the path of least resistence.
So, in a suspended break like that one, the last brick/slab is the first to break since there is nothing under/behind it to block the force.
In a break like that, the hardest slab to break would be the top one, not the bottom.
Just as in a flat surface break ( slabs flat on the floor) the hardest would be the bottom one ( force travels through the slabs and back up from the ground causing the first slab to break first).

It is still a excellent break nevertheless, takes a good touch to apply just enough power and not too much.

IronFist
08-10-2010, 09:42 AM
^ both interesting replies. Thanks.

teetsao
08-10-2010, 10:50 AM
i agree it is physics and mechanics, however the body has to be able to produce the vibration,not anyone can walk up and hit a stack and do that. this makes me want to experiment more,especially on the 2 flat on the ground.\
i do klnow someone in our family who can do selective breaking, but he will not let me film it. he says he doesnt care if people beleive it or not. i personally cannot do selective, yet, however,good Lord willing and no major injuries or setback i will continue my training and to progress. i want to realy do something with iron palm and return the legitamcy to it,as i beleive so many frauds in the past decade or 2 have erased the legitamcy of it through unscroupulous breaking practices.

sanjuro_ronin
08-10-2010, 11:21 AM
i agree it is physics and mechanics, however the body has to be able to produce the vibration,not anyone can walk up and hit a stack and do that. this makes me want to experiment more,especially on the 2 flat on the ground.\
i do klnow someone in our family who can do selective breaking, but he will not let me film it. he says he doesnt care if people beleive it or not. i personally cannot do selective, yet, however,good Lord willing and no major injuries or setback i will continue my training and to progress. i want to realy do something with iron palm and return the legitamcy to it,as i beleive so many frauds in the past decade or 2 have erased the legitamcy of it through unscroupulous breaking practices.

Yeah, too much BS has given IP and Iron gungs in general, a bad name.
I don't break that much, not really high on my list of things to do but funny thing happened the other day.
I was working out and stubbed my toe on the dip/chin/leg raises rack I have and we know how much that ****es us off !
Well, I smacked the "back pad" used for leg raises on the rack, out of sheer anger at the gods !!, and broke the **** thing, tore it right off its screws, leaving the plywood a mess !
I guess that is kind of a break, LOL !
http://www.pacillo.com/products/keys_powertower_b.jpg

teetsao
08-10-2010, 11:34 AM
yes i would say that was an effective hit.

sanjuro_ronin
08-10-2010, 11:40 AM
yes i would say that was an effective hit.

My wife was not impressed, she used it for her leg raises :D

I have to go get a new one now, but I needed a new one anyways.

**** toe stubs hurt like hell !

Dale Dugas
08-10-2010, 12:44 PM
the perils of being slave to the Iron Mistress.......

photo-master
08-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Physics dictates that force travels the path of least resistence.
So, in a suspended break like that one, the last brick/slab is the first to break since there is nothing under/behind it to block the force.
In a break like that, the hardest slab to break would be the top one, not the bottom.
Just as in a flat surface break ( slabs flat on the floor) the hardest would be the bottom one ( force travels through the slabs and back up from the ground causing the first slab to break first).

It is still a excellent break nevertheless, takes a good touch to apply just enough power and not too much.

I believe your are correct in all aspects of your analysis except one. The middle brick(s) are the hardest. As the top brick can be broken with a speed break movement (still hard). But the middle of three or four is very-very hard to do, your energy and projection has to be perfect.

I believe that it goes something like this:

1: Beak one brick
2: Break bottom of two bricks
3: Break two bricks
4: Break bottom of three (or four) bricks
5: Break one 3" brick
6: Break three bricks
7: Break top of three bricks
8: Break middle of three bricks
9: Break one 4" inch brick
10: Break four bricks, so own..

# 2 and 3 can go either way

AVTKD
04-16-2012, 07:44 PM
As a guideline, in order to break the last brick or 4th brick down, the hand needs to be in contact with the block for approximately 4-5 ms, that is 4/1000 of a second. There also needs to be sufficient force through the stack to break the block. As a general rule you will need 1-2 ms for the first block, 2-3 ms for the second, 3-4 ms for the third, 4-5 ms for the fourth, and 5 ms for the 5th or complete stack depending on the energy transfer.

Here is an article that has been referenced in the past... the "Physics of Breaking", although selective breaking is mentioned, the emphasis is on unspaced wood and concrete blocks and the comparative difficulty to break them.

Thank you for your avid interest in the "Physics of Breaking". The updated link is http://avtkd.coffeecup.com/site/physicsofbreaking.html

Regards,
AVTKD

taai gihk yahn
04-17-2012, 06:07 AM
As a guideline, in order to break the last brick or 4th brick down, the hand needs to be in contact with the block for approximately 4-5 ms, that is 4/1000 of a second. There also needs to be sufficient force through the stack to break the block. As a general rule you will need 1-2 ms for the first block, 2-3 ms for the second, 3-4 ms for the third, 4-5 ms for the fourth, and 5 ms for the 5th or complete stack depending on the energy transfer.

Here is an article that has been referenced in the past... the "Physics of Breaking", although selective breaking is mentioned, the emphasis is on unspaced wood and concrete blocks and the comparative difficulty to break them.

http://avtkd.com/AVTKDphysics/physicsofbreaking.html

awesome article! my god, some real applied science - I don't know if the space / time continuum can handle that...

Oso
04-17-2012, 09:24 PM
i broke the plastic jar/housing on a m&m dispenser once at a bar in Chapel Hill...was with a two-knuckle strike to the front of it...we gave away free m&m's to all the hot wimmins

but, i don't have video or pics :(

jeoge
04-18-2012, 12:47 AM
They are masters,i can't do it in my whole life

Brule
04-18-2012, 06:31 AM
I once broke a piece of balsa wood while kneeling. My kids were impressed...:cool:

IronFist
04-18-2012, 08:57 AM
i broke the plastic jar/housing on a m&m dispenser once at a bar in Chapel Hill...was with a two-knuckle strike to the front of it...we gave away free m&m's to all the hot wimmins

but, i don't have video or pics :(

Why were you punching an M&M dispenser?

Oso
04-18-2012, 01:04 PM

me and two buddies were out for the night. we got hungry. didn't have any quarters...I jokingly said i'd break in to it and hit it...popped a hole in the front. i'm sure it had to have been cracked before this...it was one of these things, that plastic is thick polycarbonate...or, maybe I'm really an iron palm master and I don't even know it...kinda like Ang...

http://images1.americanlisted.com/nlarge/two_bulk_candy_vending_machines_150_edinburg_82884 75.jpg

oh, and it wasn't a punch per se...a two finger knuckle strike...one teacher i had called it a tiger fist... :p

sanjuro_ronin
04-18-2012, 01:08 PM

It looked at him funny.

David Jamieson
04-18-2012, 01:57 PM
It looked at him funny.

They all do!

One time, I had to kick a vending machine right in the nuts.

IronWeasel
04-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Thread hijack:

Breaking compilation. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2hCsCRE14&context=C4cabdd6ADvjVQa1PpcFOSALUPwOgRc5nEAZ5K3XPF IR-8eS7hbB4=)

IW

mooyingmantis
04-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Thread hijack:

Breaking compilation. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2hCsCRE14&context=C4cabdd6ADvjVQa1PpcFOSALUPwOgRc5nEAZ5K3XPF IR-8eS7hbB4=)

IW

Impressive looking! But it looks like half width blocks with spacers (16x4x2"). Even the standing blocks have noticeable spaces in-between them. One block crashes into the others and the rest break quite easily.

IronWeasel
04-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Impressive looking! But it looks like half width blocks with spacers (16x4x2"). Even the standing blocks have noticeable spaces in-between them. One block crashes into the others and the rest break quite easily.

Yes.

Some of the old (1970's) demos were done with spacers to make the breaks look more impressive. The more recent breaks (and the ones within the school for ranking) are with no spacers.

I hate to see spacers in a break vid. :mad:

mooyingmantis
04-18-2012, 06:03 PM
This is the realz!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2UwxAcIWzg&feature=related

I was there. I checked out the blocks ahead of time while they were busy elsewhere. The blocks were not gimmicked.

No spacers, full size patio blocks, four block break. Amazing!!!

IronWeasel
04-18-2012, 07:05 PM
This is the realz!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2UwxAcIWzg&feature=related

I was there. I checked out the blocks ahead of time while they were busy elsewhere. The blocks were not gimmicked.

No spacers, full size patio blocks, four block break. Amazing!!!

Those guys do well.

I prefer no cloth or padding on the blocks, though.

Pet peeve....

mickey
04-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Greetings,

Check out this guy (not an endorsement):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=127sovYIavE

mickey