PDA

View Full Version : The origin of Southern Mantis

MiamiMantis
09-12-2000, 03:19 AM
I have a question for anybody out there who knows the answer. I heard that that Southern Mantis came about when a disciple of a Northern Mantis system got into a fight and killed someone related to a high ranking official in the government. The disciple was then wanted for murder and had to flee to the South. The disciple then changed his system around and then called it Southern Mantis. When he was later questioned, he denied he was the killer saying he knew nothing of Northern Mantis he was someone else who taught Southern Mantis. The story goes something like that. Is there any truth to this?.

Longquan
09-12-2000, 06:05 PM
Disclaimer: I do not practice SPM.

I feel confident in the following info:
1) SPM is not related to Northern PM;
2) SPM is related to Bak Mei and Lung Ying. They are Hakka in origin and share some common principles.

I seem to remember someone saying that SPM was named mantis to hide its true origins and that SPM techniques have nothing to do with mantis imitation.

Longquan
09-12-2000, 06:08 PM
BTW, if you want to know more or verify the above info, repost on the Southern board--there are several SPM practioners on the board.

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
09-12-2000, 08:28 PM
Yeah, from what I've seen of it, I'd say that SPM is way more related to the Bak Mei or Wing Chun systems than Northern Mantis. Not to say it's like wing chun, just that the principle/concepts/fighting techniquies I've seen look absolutely nothing at all like northern mantis.

Thanks!
Sandman[Wing Chun]