PDA

View Full Version : Video: Controlled Sparring Demo by the Chief Instructor of AYZYIM

suddenflower
08-13-2010, 08:39 AM
This video shows some controlled sparring drills of the Pre-Heaven Power Method (先天勁法) demonstrated by the chief instructor, Master Wei-Chung Lin (林維中), of the American YiZungYue Internal Martial Arts Association (AYZYIM). AYZYIM is a new organization to promote the Pre-Heaven Power Method to the world’s martial arts community. The Pre-Heaven Power Method, developed by Grandmaster Pan Yue (潘岳), is a systematic, revolutionary, and comprehensive approach to acquiring internal power. The First International Workshop on the Pre-Heaven Power Method will be held on October 23-24 in Skokie, Illinois, U.S.A. Please check the site http://www.americanyzy.com/ for more details about the workshop and AYZYIM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW-_8rL5yEk&feature=watch_response

sanjuro_ronin
08-13-2010, 08:50 AM
That doesn't really qualify as sparring, just a demo.
Any videos of "non-controlled sparring"?

Dragonzbane76
08-13-2010, 08:59 AM
not really a sparring vid. more like showing off stuff in a one step manner. Now take those moves and put them on a person doing full speed and unpredicted movements, now that's impressive.

suddenflower
08-13-2010, 09:36 AM
not really a sparring vid. more like showing off stuff in a one step manner. Now take those moves and put them on a person doing full speed and unpredicted movements, now that's impressive.

I agree with you. It is more a demonstration of fajin drills. However, to evaluate this video, one probably should ask the following question instead: under the same circumstances, can I perform the fajin moves with the sound structures and power as those shown in the video?

Dragonzbane76
08-13-2010, 09:41 AM
can I perform the fajin moves with the sound structures and power as those shown in the video?

+ on a resistant opponent throwing an unknown 100% tech. at me?

suddenflower
08-13-2010, 09:41 AM
That doesn't really qualify as sparring, just a demo.
Any videos of "non-controlled sparring"?

We don't have any video of non-controlled sparring yet. We may make some in the future.

suddenflower
08-13-2010, 09:44 AM
+ on a resistant opponent throwing an unknown 100% tech. at me?

No. I meant the same level of attacks as shown in the video.

Frost
08-13-2010, 10:00 AM
I agree with you. It is more a demonstration of fajin drills. However, to evaluate this video, one probably should ask the following question instead: under the same circumstances, can I perform the fajin moves with the sound structures and power as those shown in the video?

actually one should ask why on earth would i want to do that

secondly one should probably wonder if thats what qualifies as sparring within that organisation why on earth would i join it

and thirdly would should ask why do people put up demos like this and expect to be taken seriously? Its not sparring, its not anything like fighting call it what it is, power testing with complient students

bawang
08-13-2010, 10:01 AM
fake fajin. but im happy for fellow chinese making good money in america. i hope he can buy a big house

Dragonzbane76
08-13-2010, 10:04 AM
fake fajin. but im happy a fellow chinese is making good money in america. i hope he can buy a big house

I was wait for it,,, waiting,,, waiting,,, you never disappoint bawang....:p

bawang
08-13-2010, 10:33 AM
just do a lot of pushups and u can do the same types of "pre heaven fajing"

suddenflower
08-13-2010, 10:41 AM
actually one should ask why on earth would i want to do that

secondly one should probably wonder if thats what qualifies as sparring within that organisation why on earth would i join it

and thirdly would should ask why do people put up demos like this and expect to be taken seriously? Its not sparring, its not anything like fighting call it what it is, power testing with complient students

I am sorry if we confused you by not choosing the right words in the title according to your definition. We did try to indicate that this is not the final training by using the word "controlled". One major objective of the exercise is to make sure one possesses sound structures after the less dynamic trainings in the previous stages and before moving on to the next level of training.

suddenflower
08-13-2010, 10:51 AM
fake fajin. but im happy for fellow chinese making good money in america. i hope he can buy a big house

Fajin in an exercise is different from "fake fajin". We never indicate in the description that this video shows a real fight and no one is faking anything here. If you think the exercises are useless or the scenarios are unrealistic, it is a different issue.

KC Elbows
08-13-2010, 12:50 PM
I think a good idea would be a demo where both people are similar skill level. I think the student is overresponding to the technique, which makes for a dynamic appearing demo, but makes it harder to make the drills as functional as possible for training. He moves more than he should because of his own response.

At :57 is a good example of this. That strike wouldn't be going for a push normally, but would be seeking to set in the opponent. Add to that the student's inability to redirect, and you have a technique that needs to be worked against an experienced person to be seen well for what it is.

It is very rare that one simply wants to push the opponent backward on some of those techniques, but it may be the case that you aren't wishing to muddy things by including tripping footwork and such that normally go with those.

However, I feel that the drills could benefit from a partner who is better informed on what to do in case of these pushes other than feed them with lack of footwork response. Most decent opponents will not fall from being pushed solely backwards, though if there is good reason to push them backwards(flaming pit of spikes back there or something), that is another thing.

Just my thoughts. I hope you take my feedback for the constructive criticism that it is meant to be.

And certainly, the term sparring suggests that neither party knows for certain what will happen. Perhaps if you had drills that had one response for a lead, another for a cross, and the person throwing the attacks chose which and the other didn't know, this could be a sparring drill. I'd recommend changing the title otherwise. These are basically your fajin applications. Sparring drills for these would be live, and I would be interested in seeing further developments as these drills progress. Good luck.

KC Elbows
08-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Just to clarify, I am mostly talking about your drills, not the techniques themselves, except where I feel the drills are not showing the techniques as well as they could.

After watching it again, I really think one major thing that would help make these drills more useful for what you are wanting is putting gloves on the attacker. Thus, his strikes will more likely be on target and effective, so that you can showcase these moves against effective technique.

Again, just my thoughts. Anything that can improve our gongfu, right?

suddenflower
08-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Just to clarify, I am mostly talking about your drills, not the techniques themselves, except where I feel the drills are not showing the techniques as well as they could.

After watching it again, I really think one major thing that would help make these drills more useful for what you are wanting is putting gloves on the attacker. Thus, his strikes will more likely be on target and effective, so that you can showcase these moves against effective technique.

Again, just my thoughts. Anything that can improve our gongfu, right?

Thank you for your valuable suggestions. First of all, I agree to your criticism on the title. Using the word "sparring" may be misleading and we will figure out a better name for it after discussion. Fortunately, except the one slide in the video content, the title and description can be modified easily for a YouTube video.

Every fajin in the end of a set of movements can be either a short, impulsive striking, or a longer, more penetrating pushing. Since the result of a long jin is more visible and perhaps more entertaining, all the demonstrations employ long jin except two.

Using gloves definitely allows the attacker to strike more realistically. However, since we are basically a Baguazhang-based school, using gloves would be a last resort.

KC Elbows
08-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Thank you for your valuable suggestions.

No problem!

First of all, I agree to your criticism on the title. Using the word "sparring" may be misleading and we will figure out a better name for it after discussion. Fortunately, except the one slide in the video content, the title and description can be modified easily for a YouTube video.

Glad to help.

Every fajin in the end of a set of movements can be either a short, impulsive striking, or a longer, more penetrating pushing. Since the result of a long jin is more visible and perhaps more entertaining, all the demonstrations employ long jin except two.

I understand.

Using gloves definitely allows the attacker to strike more realistically. However, since we are basically a Baguazhang-based school, using gloves would be a last resort.

If I might clarify: I am not suggesting using gloves in all striking, my style also utilizes chops and palms, so I understand the issues with gloves. However, in these demos, the attacker is using fisted strikes, and holding back a bit, which affects the demo, and makes it look less realistic. Gloves can help.

Gloves are just like any training tool. You don't always train with a dummy, or plum flower posts, or a heavy bag, or sand bags, they each are merely tools to work specific things, but they work those things well. Gloves are very useful for the sake of drills involving punching, that's all, but they are quite useful in that context, and their use would inspire the student defending on this drill to be more mindful of the strike coming in in many cases, and provide a safe way to ensure that students doing such drills are still punching on target effectively. This has been my experience.

KC Elbows
08-13-2010, 02:58 PM
I also want to say I like that you focus on usage in your fajin training, it's something that I see some fail to attempt. While there are people out there doing their fajin training with usage, a lot seem to only do their fajin in the forms, and abandon it in fighting because they don't use it even at the application level, much less sparring.

suddenflower
08-13-2010, 09:20 PM
And certainly, the term sparring suggests that neither party knows for certain what will happen. Perhaps if you had drills that had one response for a lead, another for a cross, and the person throwing the attacks chose which and the other didn't know, this could be a sparring drill. I'd recommend changing the title otherwise. These are basically your fajin applications. Sparring drills for these would be live, and I would be interested in seeing further developments as these drills progress. Good luck.

We have changed the title of the video to "Basic Controlled Sparring Fajin Demo by the Chief Instructor of AYZYIM". We still keep the word "sparring" here following the convention of Karate. The karate community calls this kind of exercises "one step sparring", which is their most basic sparring exercise. Again, I'd like to thank you for your suggestion. We like the new title better.

suddenflower
08-13-2010, 09:28 PM
If I might clarify: I am not suggesting using gloves in all striking, my style also utilizes chops and palms, so I understand the issues with gloves. However, in these demos, the attacker is using fisted strikes, and holding back a bit, which affects the demo, and makes it look less realistic. Gloves can help.

Gloves are just like any training tool. You don't always train with a dummy, or plum flower posts, or a heavy bag, or sand bags, they each are merely tools to work specific things, but they work those things well. Gloves are very useful for the sake of drills involving punching, that's all, but they are quite useful in that context, and their use would inspire the student defending on this drill to be more mindful of the strike coming in in many cases, and provide a safe way to ensure that students doing such drills are still punching on target effectively. This has been my experience.

I agree with you on the benefits of using gloves in training. We will try this in classes.

Frost
08-14-2010, 03:08 PM
I am sorry if we confused you by not choosing the right words in the title according to your definition. We did try to indicate that this is not the final training by using the word "controlled". One major objective of the exercise is to make sure one possesses sound structures after the less dynamic trainings in the previous stages and before moving on to the next level of training.

Don’t try to sound condescending after posting that cr*p please :rolleyes:

You didn’t confuse me it’s what I expected from certain people who have no idea about what sparring and fighting is :rolleyes:

No it’s a way to stretch out the training and make even more money out of students before you let them spar and they realise what they are learning sucks

Structure is only solid within the context its used, in other words those stupid ass drills done against unrealistic attacks will be useless when you actually have to face someone actually trying to hit you, rather than a student flying around as soon as his master breaths on him

suddenflower
08-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Don’t try to sound condescending after posting that cr*p please :rolleyes:

You didn’t confuse me it’s what I expected from certain people who have no idea about what sparring and fighting is :rolleyes:

No it’s a way to stretch out the training and make even more money out of students before you let them spar and they realise what they are learning sucks

Structure is only solid within the context its used, in other words those stupid ass drills done against unrealistic attacks will be useless when you actually have to face someone actually trying to hit you, rather than a student flying around as soon as his master breaths on him

I have emphasized that this is just an intermediate training exercise; a basic, initial step toward the final free sparring. How much internal martial arts training do you have to be qualified in evaluating the merits of this kind of exercises? Would you be so kind as to give us an example of internal martial arts training exercises which you think is useful?

From your posting, the only thing I can extract is that you like to fight in words. And from the language you used, you seem to lack the most important attribute of a respectable fighter - the martial virtue. I hope you are not just a frustrated MMA fighter.

taai gihk yahn
08-14-2010, 06:56 PM
I don't understand how demonstrating techniques on a 100% compliant student is remotely related to any sort of sparring;

but then every video of this guy shows the same thing: entrained students complying with the techniques;

just another case of uke-itis, really...

taai gihk yahn
08-14-2010, 07:00 PM
And from the language you used, you seem to lack the most important attribute of a respectable fighter - the martial virtue.
LMAO, that's just the lamest "argument" out there; it's like, as soon as someone is unapologetically critical of what they see as being crapola, the person being critiqued pulls the "wu de" card, like it's some sort of umbrella policy that demands that prevents crap from being called crap;

FYI, there is no such thing as a "respectable" fighter - well, at least not a living "respectable" fighter, considering that successful fighters are the "non-respectable" ones;

taai gihk yahn
08-14-2010, 07:02 PM
I agree with you on the benefits of using gloves in training. We will try this in classes.
wait a minute: do you mean to say that on the suggestion of some anonymous internet poster, you will NOW try using gloves? like, it never occurred to you before?!?

oh lawdy, lawdy, lawdy...

taai gihk yahn
08-14-2010, 07:03 PM

he won't let you in it tho, because while u r fellow Chinese, u r stil poore

suddenflower
08-14-2010, 07:22 PM
I don't understand how demonstrating techniques on a 100% compliant student is remotely related to any sort of sparring;

but then every video of this guy shows the same thing: entrained students complying with the techniques;

just another case of uke-itis, really...

In your profile, you claim that you are currently learning Taijiquan. This really surprises me a lot. Obviously, you still don't have any idea what internal martial art is.

The exercise performed in the video are similar to the "one step sparring" drills in Karate. For sexample, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZghm7Gz8ZY
Are the exercises not useful because the attacker is a compliant one who doesn't move after he punches?

suddenflower
08-14-2010, 07:35 PM
LMAO, that's just the lamest "argument" out there; it's like, as soon as someone is unapologetically critical of what they see as being crapola, the person being critiqued pulls the "wu de" card, like it's some sort of umbrella policy that demands that prevents crap from being called crap;

FYI, there is no such thing as a "respectable" fighter - well, at least not a living "respectable" fighter, considering that successful fighters are the "non-respectable" ones;

May be I am wasting my time. To talk "wu de" with you may be just like "cast pearls before swine." A typical and ideal example of respectable Chinese martial artists is the character Mr. Li Mu-Bai in the movie "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" directed by Ang Lee. I don't know how much you know about traditional Chinese martial arts culture. But just because one can fight well as a successful gladiator is not enough to make him a respectable fighter.

taai gihk yahn
08-14-2010, 07:37 PM
In your profile, you claim that you are currently learning Taijiquan. This really surprises me a lot. Obviously, you still don't have any idea what internal martial art is.
yeh, OBVIOUSLY I have no idea about so-called "internal" because I don't subscribe to a bunch of entrainment silliness; :rolleyes:
BTW, your tactic of trying to invalidate my own practice as a way of deflecting critique of the sewage you post is lame and played out; and it doesn't support your position in the least
it's just hysterical - because someone doesn't buy this sort of craptacular display, they obviously don't know anything about "internal"; typical posturing and one reason why so much of TCMA is regarded as a joke
next you are going to say that when your teacher moves, he doen't use his muscles either...

The exercise performed in the video are similar to the "one step sparring" drills in Karate. For sexample, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZghm7Gz8ZY
Are the exercises not useful because the attacker is a compliant one who doesn't move after he punches?
that is exactly why they are not usefu, because they teach based on a contrivance that the attacker will not respond; considering that you are trianing to fight, theoreticaly, practicing in this way is of minimal to no value, and perhaps even detrimental that, and the way the attack comes in is also a contrivance; at the very best, it might b useful for beginning beginners, but even that is debatable;
(you will now doubtless proffer the "argument" that because it's been done this way for a million-bilion years, that it needs must be useful, and you will incredulously ask me if I am naysaying the accumuated wisodom of umpteenth generations of venerated hoary masters, and the answer is, "yes, I am");

btw, in the video u post, I wonder what the martial significance is of the defender adjusting his belt in between every attack is?

YouKnowWho
08-14-2010, 08:06 PM
If you think the exercises are useless or the scenarios are unrealistic, it is a different issue.
I will give the same following comment even if Yang Cheng-Fu or Cheng Man Ching demonstrated "pushing" in public.

Old Chinese saying said, "keep your friend close but keep your enemy closer." I always have issue with "pushing people away". Why not just put your opponent down below your knee, and finish with a punch on the head?

CMA is more than just Fajin. CMA is to solve problems. Unless you can push your opponent off the cliff, or into heavy traffic, your problem has not been solved yet.

grncastle
08-14-2010, 08:19 PM
taai talks too much.

bawang
08-14-2010, 09:09 PM
he won't let you in it tho, because while u r fellow Chinese, u r stil poore
but maybe he rent basement to me $200/month cheep

taai talks too much.
he beat u at ur own game
beat ur meat

taai gihk yahn
08-14-2010, 09:10 PM
taai talks too much.

lol, that's been a well known fact around here for some time;

but then again, i guess that the truth hurts...

bawang
08-14-2010, 09:13 PM
in 3 weeks the tru face of manly real taiji will be show
be scare
be very scare

grncastle
08-14-2010, 09:21 PM
You sound like a d o r k taai

taai gihk yahn
08-14-2010, 09:29 PM
You sound like a **** taai

how does a "****" sound?

I'm guessing it's a lot like a tipped cow - which I'm sure u could describe in almost mind-numbing detail, newbie

taai gihk yahn
08-14-2010, 09:30 PM
This seems like the perfect time to break out my tiny violin...

would that be how a "****" sounds? :confused:

taai gihk yahn
08-14-2010, 09:38 PM
LOL the next Pile is almost upon us, I can feel it.
good thing they use that big crash mat

...ah, noobness...
wibble

http://www.automation-drive.com/EX/05-14-20/Blackadder_IV_-_Goodbyeee.jpg

grncastle
08-14-2010, 09:43 PM
You proved my point twice. 4 posts in 8 minutes. 2 posts in 2 minutes, let alone what Im perhaps not seeing you write as I type this now. You seem like you don't have the patience to write a thorough and decent post. You apparently have 20 something years experience in martial arts, what does that make you, 30 or 40s at least? with 2600+ posts? How much time do you spend on here making comments that befit a child? That's what I see as talking too much.

Anyway, the video doesn't look like full sparring, obviously. But seeing fajing in striking situation would be cool

taai gihk yahn
08-14-2010, 10:01 PM
You proved my point twice.
you actually had a point?

4 posts in 8 minutes. 2 posts in 2 minutes,
I know - but the forum doesn't let you post more than once every 30 seconds;:D
anyway, I guess you told me, pointing out that I made 4 posts in 8 minutes; yeah, that's really a whole lot; wow; I guess that you win the intern3tz

let alone what Im perhaps not seeing you write as I type this now. You seem like you don't have the patience to write a thorough and decent post.
as opposed to you who simply comes on with a one line post stating that I talk too much (simply because you don't like the way I am talking about your teacher; might want to train that iron body of yours a bit more and develop a thicker skin); and then that I sound like a "****"; yeah, those obviously constitute "thorough and decent" posts waaaay more than anything I've written :rolleyes:
but anyway, let me be the first to invite you to put me on "ignore" if you dislike my posting style;

You apparently have 20 something years experience in martial arts, what does that make you, 30 or 40s at least?
at least...

with 2600+ posts?
over about 5+ yrs. on the forum; since u r so adept at breaking things down I'll let you do the math on that; or did u think I did it all in one day?

How much time do you spend on here making comments that befit a child?
as much as it suits me to do so; although if u could point out which parts of my posts specifically constitute childishness prior to your coming on and initiating a discourse by insulting me personally, that would be nice

That's what I see as talking too much.
lol; thanks, I'll keep that in mind :rolleyes:

Anyway, the video doesn't look like full sparring, obviously.
it doesn't look like partial sparring either, or for that fact anything remotely related to sparring

But seeing fajing in striking situation would be cool
yeah, that would be, like, so totally cool, dude!!!:cool:

so, do u practice it on the cows?
(see, now THAT was blatantly childish)

grncastle
08-14-2010, 10:04 PM
wow, so stupid

taai gihk yahn
08-14-2010, 10:17 PM
wow, so stupid
wow, so erudite

hey, here's an idea - instead of just throwing out insults (which is pretty much all you've done since your first post here), why don't you address the issue under discussion? if you disagree with something specific in my posts, speak to it - it's easy to say that I talk too much, sound like a "****" or am so stupid - (really, all it does just makes you look like a prime example of what you are attempting to project onto me); or is your pat answer the same as your classmate "suddenflower", that if someone is critical of your sifu than they obviously don't understand internal?

thus far, you have comported yourself rather poorly; perhaps you might invest some actual effort into rectifying that;

grncastle
08-14-2010, 10:19 PM
This is all you do right?

taai gihk yahn
08-14-2010, 10:20 PM
This is all you do right?

apparently, so do you...

or are you just running through your list of weak newbie one-liners?

grncastle
08-14-2010, 10:23 PM
No. I don't spend 5 years on a forum. Its been at least three years since I spend time on any one. I've only been posting on them this week in supplement to these ad posts. I spend my days doing hours of training, meditation, whatnot, whether healthy, sick, tired, busy, etc. Not hours on a forum.

taai gihk yahn
08-14-2010, 10:26 PM
No. I don't spend 5 years on a forum. Its been at least three years since I spend time on any one. I've only been posting on them this week in supplement to these ad posts. I spend my days doing hours of training, meditation, whatnot, whether healthy, sick, tired, busy, etc. Not hours on a forum.

oh, I see - so u r suggesting that because I spend so much time on the forum, I don't train enough; and that instead of being on the forum so much I should train more, is that it?

tell you what, you go back to your 24/7 meditating, and I'll keep posting here excessively, and everyone will be happy

bawang
08-14-2010, 10:27 PM
U NED TRAIN MORE OK
PLS

thx

grncastle
08-14-2010, 10:27 PM
sure, whatever you think

taai gihk yahn
08-14-2010, 10:34 PM
sure, whatever you think

now who's being a "****"?

lol, typical newbie - you start something (remember, YOU came on w/the whole "taai talks too much"), you can't maintain it, so you tuck tail and play it now like you don't care, you are so above it all; sadly predictable;

well, I guess if that's your perspective, that you don't care what I think, then that'll be the last we hear from you...although I doubt that you nearly as above the fray as you'd like to think that you are - otherwise, you wouldn't have posted in the first place;

-999,999 EXP and you have to spend the next 3 turns listening to Vogon poetry

U NED TRAIN MORE OK
PLS

thx
:( I hang my head in shame...

grncastle
08-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Im sorry, I don't know what you're talking about with maintenance this, fray that, vogon poetry? I called you a d o r k, not **** which why this site would censor that I have no idea. Everything you're saying only shows this more and more. Anyway, yeah, Im not a forum jockey, sorry for not being fun.

bawang
08-14-2010, 10:47 PM
tai gyk yan u r loser. u r loner in rel life. noe frends. i bet u cry at night

taai gihk yahn
08-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Im sorry, I don't know what you're talking about with maintenance this, fray that, vogon poetry? I called you a d o r k, not **** which why this site would censor that I have no idea. Everything you're saying only shows this more and more. Anyway, yeah, Im not a forum jockey, sorry for not being fun.
that's ok, I didn't really have any expectations considering how boring and pedantic you were 3 yrs ago (http://kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46684), demonstrating an unprecedented degree of group-think, zombie-mindedness when I actually tried having a reasoned conversation with you about so-called "internal" principles (I'd recommend that you read some of the links in my sig, but they are rather childish, I don't think you'd enjoy them); although I am surprised that more of your clan hasn't shown up to try and shout down any dissent this time around :rolleyes:

tai gyk yan u r loser. u r loner in rel life. noe frends.
there's one guy on FB, but he's some weirdo from Guelph

i bet u cry at night
I do, and and not even a single manly tear, but instead streams and streams of womanly crying

grncastle
08-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Sure, again, whatever you think. People like you are very easy to lead on.

suddenflower
08-14-2010, 11:15 PM
I think the best way to convince us your credibility on the criticisms about the video is that you post a video of yourself, either doing exercise, performing a form, or free sparring. Among the close to 2,700 posts, do you have anything to show us your achievement on martial arts?

taai gihk yahn
08-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Sure, again, whatever you think. People like you are very easy to lead on.

I see that you are taking time away from your deep meditation practice to do just that...:rolleyes:

grncastle
08-14-2010, 11:38 PM
Reading the links, they're interesting.

taai gihk yahn
08-15-2010, 12:00 AM
I think the best way to convince us your credibility on the criticisms about the video is that you post a video of yourself, either doing exercise, performing a form, or free sparring. Among the close to 2,700 posts, do you have anything to show us your achievement on martial arts?
lol, I was waiting for it; you'd think that by now u guys wud hav come up w a better m.o. than the same one u beat to death 3+ yrs ago;

and what wud u like to see a video of me doing? not that it matters, bec no matter what I wud post, u guys wud ridicule it; and not that I care really what u think, but then what's the point?

I mean, what r u guys so worried about, that you need to insult me personally or ask for some sort of video of me, as if that's going to "prove" anything?

fact is this: I think what ur teacher demos is nothing more than techniques done on compliant students who like being tossed around because it makes them feel that they are studying something esoteric and über-cool; it's a two-way validation process that I have seen many times before; and it's all fine, but it's not sparring, and it's not fighting; and if it were, u guys wud show video of that, but fact is that u have this elaborate justification system for why u don't hav any, or why u do this sort of thing, yadda, yadda, yadda - same old so-called "internal" BS that has been propogated for years; u want to do it, more power to you; but until u can demo it in a situation against a resisting, skilled opponent who is not a student of ur sifu, it's just another form of mutally-agreed upon exercise that has no evidence to support its usefulness in an actual fight;

now, u may not like that I say this; that's fine - but my question is, why do you really care? if u have da r3alz, why do u care so much about public perception? I mean, obviously u do, since u post the vid in the first place - but I think that what u want is sympathetic accolades, not a critical assessment - which is why when someone does have a non-sympathetic view, u guys gang up en masse and try to discredit the poster, either by asking for some video that u can then trash, or by attacking the poster as being too wordy (like me), posting too much, etc.

u guys may want to do a little reasearch into the behavior of cult members, because ur behavior here is starting to resemble that a little...

just remember - YOU guys posted the video in a pubic forum; if you don't like that some people don't like it / believe it / agree with it, then DON'T POST IT IN THE FIRST PLACE, and then u won't have to suffer that sort of thing;

grncastle
08-15-2010, 12:39 AM
My personal thoughts, as suddenflower may post something different:

For starters, your original critique, I think was valid, I did not disagree with that. It was a video of a drill, nothing more. To some people, sparring means only free sparring, and some people include things like one step, two step etc. I personally don't think too much about it.

But then look at your next three posts. How were they relevant or necessary? It was like arguing for the sake of arguing, having to address every sentence, having to have word battles. What nonsense! This is how people are when they talk online. I said 4 words, and it went to lead you on easily as I knew it would. For that matter, it wasn't really my intention to say any derogatory or offending things to you, so I hope you don't take what I said seriously. This reminds me why I don't spend time talking on forums or posting things, in my view, its a waste of time. As I said, its been years since I spent any time posting on forums and in this case it's just to help out with these posts on vids. You seem like you spend a lot of time being on these things, is it useful for you?

I normally greet people with a lot more courtesy, and would've given the same to you, even after the things you posted before. It's what Ive been doing so far this week anyway, I guess I just decided to do it different and wing it this time. I don't have anything personally against you taai, and I actually like your links under your profile. It's stuff like that which is very innovative and useful. The Preheaven Power method that the workshop is about is based on the similar ideas, emphasis on body mechanics. People can take it as they want, and we're certain to get negative reactions and skepticism, we expect that. There is a lot less concern about public perception than you might think. Forums are just easy ways to reach people. And maybe my behavior tonight was a bad way to market, but I hope at least some good insight can be seen from this.

So yeah, nothing personal, I hope you get the idea of what I meant. If you don't like the video, that's fine.

This addresses what I think about this. However, I do think suddenflower has a good point about you presenting a video or something of your own. You can do that for the sake of your own argument if you want. Whatever it would be, I personally wouldn't give you a hard time about it. I don't buy into the habit of going about and criticizing everything that's out there. I don't feel like I' would've "suffered" being shown in a video, no matter how much people might think badly of it. You shouldn't have to see it that way either. Even if you don't want to post a video, more stuff like those links would be nice. I like studying into things, and it's good material.

taai gihk yahn
08-15-2010, 12:53 AM
now how did I miss this one?

May be I am wasting my time. To talk "wu de" with you may be just like "cast pearls before swine."
well, it seems that your wude doesn't preclude smugness and condescension; well done;

A typical and ideal example of respectable Chinese martial artists is the character Mr. Li Mu-Bai in the movie "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" directed by Ang Lee.
yeah, he would also be a typical and ideal example of a FICTIONAL CHARACTERIZATION dreamed up by Mr. Ang Lee and Mr. James Shamus

I don't know how much you know about traditional Chinese martial arts culture. But just because one can fight well as a successful gladiator is not enough to make him a respectable fighter.
I know enuf about TCMA culture to know that all that wude stuff is mostly a fiction retrofitted onto TCMA by literati types in order to make it more respectable; the REAL Chinese MA guys didn't go in for that at all, and in fact were considered the lowest of the lows by sociey because they were soldiers, body guards and mercenaries; the whole wude thing was pretty much to make MA more palatable to royal and upper classes, so that they could justify their weekend warrior pursuits and study MA without feeling like they were stooping to the level typically reserved for the guys who actually did the real fighting; and that's how FICTIONAL CHARACTERS like Li Mu Bai got traction in the real world...

suddenflower
08-15-2010, 06:45 AM
lol, I was waiting for it; you'd think that by now u guys wud hav come up w a better m.o. than the same one u beat to death 3+ yrs ago;

and what wud u like to see a video of me doing? not that it matters, bec no matter what I wud post, u guys wud ridicule it; and not that I care really what u think, but then what's the point?

I mean, what r u guys so worried about, that you need to insult me personally or ask for some sort of video of me, as if that's going to "prove" anything?

just remember - YOU guys posted the video in a pubic forum; if you don't like that some people don't like it / believe it / agree with it, then DON'T POST IT IN THE FIRST PLACE, and then u won't have to suffer that sort of thing;

You have ambushed our post of the Xingyiquan video in the past. More than three years have passed and what does time tell? The video turns out to be one of the most viewed and highly rated Xingyiquan video on YouTube. For the convenience of other readers, the URL of the video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP5OEjYVzKQ

The reason why we still post videos on this forum is that we believe the system. We believe that most people are reasonable and fair. We consider people like you the "imperfection" of this prestigious forum. The only reason we argue with you on this forum is that we don't want your biased view to influence other readers who are not familiar with the particular style or the training method.

This is a public forum and you definitely will not scare us out of it just because you have posted close to 2700 times here.

suddenflower
08-15-2010, 06:58 AM
In one previous post, we asked you the following question:
The exercise performed in the video are similar to the "one step sparring" drills in Karate. For example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZghm7Gz8ZY

And your answer was:

that is exactly why they are not usefu, because they teach based on a contrivance that the attacker will not respond; considering that you are trianing to fight, theoreticaly, practicing in this way is of minimal to no value, and perhaps even detrimental that, and the way the attack comes in is also a contrivance; at the very best, it might b useful for beginning beginners, but even that is debatable;
(you will now doubtless proffer the "argument" that because it's been done this way for a million-bilion years, that it needs must be useful, and you will incredulously ask me if I am naysaying the accumuated wisodom of umpteenth generations of venerated hoary masters, and the answer is, "yes, I am");

So, you were insulting the intelligence of the Karate community. This just shows how arrogant and ignorant you are. What is your credential anyway?

suddenflower
08-15-2010, 07:07 AM
now how did I miss this one?

well, it seems that your wude doesn't preclude smugness and condescension; well done;

For your reference, "cast pearls before swine" is a quote from the Holy Bible. The equivalence in Chinese is 對牛彈琴.

suddenflower
08-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Aha, I get it now!

TGY, congratulations! People fear and resent you, and hold on to their grudges for years! You could use that as an advert or something.

You think too highly of TGY. We have already forgotten him until he reminded us on this thread. Actually, I was surprised that he mentioned this incident. He should try to hide the fact that he had misjudged (or bad-mouthed out of jealousy?) the Xingyiquan video.

bawang
08-15-2010, 12:29 PM
I know enuf about TCMA culture to know that all that wude stuff is mostly a fiction retrofitted onto TCMA by literati types in order to make it more respectable; the REAL Chinese MA guys didn't go in for that at all, and in fact were considered the lowest of the lows by sociey because they were soldiers, body guards and mercenaries; the whole wude thing was pretty much to make MA more palatable to royal and upper classes, so that they could justify their weekend warrior pursuits and study MA without feeling like they were stooping to the level typically reserved for the guys who actually did the real fighting; and that's how FICTIONAL CHARACTERS like Li Mu Bai got traction in the real world...

real wu de exists, but just by teaching for money 99% of all kung fu teachers have already violated wude

taai gihk yahn
08-15-2010, 04:37 PM
You have ambushed our post of the Xingyiquan video in the past.
LOL, ambushed? I think that you may have me confused with a different poster on that thread; go back and read it again, I was posting as cjurakpt at the time - if you think that was an ambush then you are really deluded;

More than three years have passed and what does time tell?
that you guys still post the same old stuff and expect people to take it seriously?

The video turns out to be one of the most viewed and highly rated Xingyiquan video on YouTube. For the convenience of other readers, the URL of the video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP5OEjYVzKQ
so you got a lot of hits; awesome; oh, and what, exactly, does that translate to in the real world?

The reason why we still post videos on this forum is that we believe the system. We believe that most people are reasonable and fair. We consider people like you the "imperfection" of this prestigious forum.
by your definition, "imperfection" would equal someone who doesn't agree with your views and has no qualms about saying so; as far as this forum being prestigious, I think that if you stick your nose that far up Gene's asz, he may have trouble walking straight...

The only reason we argue with you on this forum is that we don't want your biased view to influence other readers who are not familiar with the particular style or the training method.
LOL, if you think that my biased views (as opposed to your biased views) are going to influence anyone more than what you have posted, then you give me too much credit...

This is a public forum and you definitely will not scare us out of it just because you have posted close to 2700 times here.
scare you out? heavens forbid, I wouldn't dream of even trying to do that - you all are far too amusing - no no, by all means, please stay on and continue to post - it's all very entertaining!

In one previous post, we asked you the following question:
So, you were insulting the intelligence of the Karate community.
that's your take on it - LOL, nice try trying to set me up as adversarial to the "karate community", just because I don't feel that one sort of practice that they do has value in regards to free fighting; well, then I guess that the entire field of Motor Learning Therory is insulting the intelligence of the karate community too, because my views are strongly supported by the literature in that field;

This just shows how arrogant and ignorant you are.
oh, I see - so if one disagrees with the practices of a given community, that makes one both arrogant and ignorant; that's a convenient way to support your own position in terms of someone critiquing you

What is your credential anyway?
why is that relevant? what do you care? even if I give my credentials, you will discount them some how; and what are YOUR credentials? I'll bet that they are less then mine are, LOL!

For your reference, "cast pearls before swine" is a quote from the Holy Bible. The equivalence in Chinese is 對牛彈琴.
it is a condescending comment; who cares where it's from (and I am well aware of the origin, thank you)

You think too highly of TGY. We have already forgotten him until he reminded us on this thread.
"we"? ok, now when you say "we", do you mean "we" as in:
http://maplerag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/queen_victoria.jpg
or as in
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/members/drarvindr-albums-51-arvind-picture1012-gollum-maquette.jpg
or perhaps as in:
http://gallery.roadbikereview.com/data/roadbike/500/borg-706601.jpg
or maybe even as in:
http://www.jewcy.com/files/images/weddings7.mid-size.jpg

Actually, I was surprised that he mentioned this incident. He should try to hide the fact that he had misjudged (or bad-mouthed out of jealousy?) the Xingyiquan video.
LOL - why shoud I try to hide anything? although, if you go read the actual thread you are referencing, I certainly wasn't the only one doing so, nor the most vocal in that regard;

taai gihk yahn
08-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Aha, I get it now!
TGY, congratulations! People fear and resent you, and hold on to their grudges for years!
then it would appear that my work here is done...

LOL at Bible quotes never being used in a condescending manner! Also, if this thread is going where I next think it is, I'd better go stock up on munchies!
I'd head over to Costco if I were you...

Maybe it's not that I think too highly of an educated, practicing Osteopath who appears to be as much into the correct bio-physiological aspects of CMA as the combative aspects;
you are too kind sir, but I should correct you that I am not an osteopath, I am a PT who treats from an osteopathic perspective (although I did do 2 years post-graduate work towards an osteo doctoral degree - however, I left the school when I realized that the Director was more interested in having students as fawning groupies than independent thinkers...hmmm...);
may I say that, based on your posts over the years, I would count as very fortunate any patient who happens across your doorstep;
(oh, and BTW, speaking of patients, here's a little "walk-in patient" humor that I threw together that you should be able to relate to and may find amusing: http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6862809/)

maybe it's that I think so little of the videos posted, the arguments supporting them, and the groupthink replies.
you always were a killjoy, what with your "logic" and all that;

Why? Is that what you would do, if you felt you had made a mistake? Try to hide it from yourself and others? That's a stupid life method, in my opinion.
really, like as if some how I am ashamed of what I posted (although I think they have me confused with some of the other more vocal critics on that thread)

As to the projected Jealousy... there's nothing to be jealous about! Unless you mean the number of views on your video, which have nothing to do with the number of likes, and more to do with the words in the title - which, if you do, tells us a lot about your preoccupation with popularity and image more so than TGY's actual feelings.
I'll bet you a kick in the face that he doesn't give a f*ck.
oh no, I do care - very deeply and profoundly, I am so preoccupied with them that for 3 years I have been waiting patiently for their return so that I could redeem my crass error and...
nah, your right, I don't give a fu(k;

taai gihk yahn
08-15-2010, 05:18 PM
My personal thoughts, as suddenflower may post something different:

For starters, your original critique, I think was valid, I did not disagree with that. It was a video of a drill, nothing more. To some people, sparring means only free sparring, and some people include things like one step, two step etc. I personally don't think too much about it.
drilling ≠ sparring; sparring is free fighting; controlled sparring is free fighting with some restriction (e.g - targets, techniques, level of contact); and the vid wasn't sparring, it was even drilling - it was a demonstration;

But then look at your next three posts. How were they relevant or necessary? It was like arguing for the sake of arguing, having to address every sentence, having to have word battles. What nonsense! This is how people are when they talk online. I said 4 words, and it went to lead you on easily as I knew it would.
lol, that you think you caused me to "do your bidding"; let's see, I answered your post in the same manner that I typically answer most posts; yeh, boy, u really got me to do something that I had no control over :rolleyes:

For that matter, it wasn't really my intention to say any derogatory or offending things to you, so I hope you don't take what I said seriously. This reminds me why I don't spend time talking on forums or posting things, in my view, its a waste of time. As I said, its been years since I spent any time posting on forums and in this case it's just to help out with these posts on vids. You seem like you spend a lot of time being on these things, is it useful for you?

I normally greet people with a lot more courtesy, and would've given the same to you, even after the things you posted before. It's what Ive been doing so far this week anyway, I guess I just decided to do it different and wing it this time. I don't have anything personally against you taai, and I actually like your links under your profile. It's stuff like that which is very innovative and useful. The Preheaven Power method that the workshop is about is based on the similar ideas, emphasis on body mechanics. People can take it as they want, and we're certain to get negative reactions and skepticism, we expect that. There is a lot less concern about public perception than you might think. Forums are just easy ways to reach people. And maybe my behavior tonight was a bad way to market, but I hope at least some good insight can be seen from this.

So yeah, nothing personal, I hope you get the idea of what I meant. If you don't like the video, that's fine.

This addresses what I think about this. However, I do think suddenflower has a good point about you presenting a video or something of your own. You can do that for the sake of your own argument if you want. Whatever it would be, I personally wouldn't give you a hard time about it. I don't buy into the habit of going about and criticizing everything that's out there. I don't feel like I' would've "suffered" being shown in a video, no matter how much people might think badly of it. You shouldn't have to see it that way either. Even if you don't want to post a video, more stuff like those links would be nice. I like studying into things, and it's good material.
now who's going on and on?
look, shoulda, coulda, woulda; fact is, you posted based on your knee-jerk reaction to what i posted, meaning that you obviously have a highly emotional investment in your practice and your teacher's perceived image;
so before you proclaim any proficiency for leading on others to respond as you "knew they would", you might want to apply some of that multi-hour / day meditation practice to your waking life, which appears to be somewhat lacking in the equanimity that you profess to possess;

look, people can do what they like; if training w ur sifu makes u happy and fulfilled, good for you; doubtless there are many people who hold a similar opinion about him as you do; but when u guys post in lock step and utilize scientology-like tactics to discredit dissenters, it doesn't do much for ur position;

grncastle
08-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Whatever you think. All you like to do is post on forums, let that suit you if you like.

Scott R. Brown
08-15-2010, 07:47 PM

I am trying to understand how posting a video of oneself demonstrates how foolish your video is? All you need do to demonstrate for yourself how foolish your own video is, is for you to post one with a REAL opponent and not a compliant and somewhat naive student who can neither stand correctly, fall correctly, or throw a proper strike!

wude? isnt he uday's brother?

yeah, he would also be a typical and ideal example of a FICTIONAL CHARACTERIZATION dreamed up by Mr. Ang Lee and Mr. James Shamus

Just because you can't fly doesn't mean that no one else can! I think your jealousy is showing. :p

Right hit them with reality....good one....don't you know you can't reason with the unreasonable? Next you'll start telling everyone there is no Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Toothfairy, Leprechauns, Magic Rings to rule them all....etc!:mad:

drilling ≠ sparring; sparring is free fighting; controlled sparring is free fighting with some restriction (e.g - targets, techniques, level of contact); and the vid wasn't sparring, it was even drilling - it was a demonstration;

Yeah! A demonstration that some people will believe anything!:eek:

you think you caused me to "do your bidding"

Look into my eyes...:eek:

You are getting verrrrrry sleeeeeeepy!!!!!!

look, people can do what they like; if training w ur sifu makes u happy and fulfilled, good for you; doubtless there are many people who hold a similar opinion about him as you do; but when u guys post in lock step and utilize scientology-like tactics to discredit dissenters, it doesn't do much for ur position;

What do you expect when you interfere with another persons fantasy life! For some people, their fantasies make the real world more livable. If they didn't have their little magical rainbow mind dreams they would probably be waiting outside your house for 5 or 10 years with a sniper rifle just waiting for the right moment to........wait.....ummmmmm never mind! Pretend I didn't saying anything at all about that........ummmmmm magic IS real!!! REALLY...IT IS!!!!!!! If I say it real real LOUD it makes it true!!!!:p

taai gihk yahn
08-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Whatever you think. All you like to do is post on forums, let that suit you if you like.
yes, it's ALL that I do, lol...

so, back to this tack now, eh? ok then <golf claps>

taai gihk yahn
08-15-2010, 10:31 PM
I...that...is...we...will...obey...our...Scottish. ..masters...and...overlords...

grncastle
08-15-2010, 10:54 PM
What do you expect me to say? Argue back and forth every single point with you? Why? Do you not see how petty that is? This is what martial arts are about? You were offered to make comparison via video or something. Despite your excuses not to, I found videos with you anyway. What made you so hesitant to refer to them?

As I said at the start, you talk too much. You're so concerned about arguing back every single sentence, reply to every detail, editing as you please to cover tracks, and more. Your paradigm of thought is stuck in words. I can reply as little or as much as I want with little thought and it validates my point all the same.

Anyone viewing this thread can see how egotistical and vain you are. Any argument or position aside, if you present yourself this way, it does you no good.

taai gihk yahn
08-15-2010, 11:37 PM
What do you expect me to say?
no expectations at all; but you do keep "saying"...

Argue back and forth every single point with you?
as you like...

Why?
why not?

Do you not see how petty that is?
of course I do; the problem is that you seem to think that what you post / say isn't just as petty...

This is what martial arts are about?
no, this is what posting on an internet forum related to TCMA is about;

You were offered to make comparison via video or something. Despite your excuses not to, I found videos with you anyway.
congratulations on doing some homework; also, nice to see that you are so concerned about me that you go to the trouble of googling my name, lol!

What made you so hesitant to refer to them?
nothing in and of themselves; but now, having found them, do they change in any way your perspective of me / my opinion? probably not

As I said at the start, you talk too much. You're so concerned about arguing back every single sentence, reply to every detail,
you keep stating this as if I am going to feel bad about doing it:confused:

editing as you please to cover tracks,
:confused: what are you talking about? now you are spectacubating - spectacubator alert, spectacubator alert, calling all Scott Browns!

and more. Your paradigm of thought is stuck in words.
should I try to think in pretty pictures like you do?

I can reply as little or as much as I want with little thought and it validates my point all the same.
riiight...and yet, despite your admonition of me for replying excessively, you do pretty much the same...

Anyone viewing this thread can see how egotistical and vain you are.
I guess that they can, lol :rolleyes:
OTOH, they can also see just how seriously you take yourself...

Any argument or position aside, if you present yourself this way, it does you no good.
if you could explain to me how, ultimately, in the real world, this does me no good, I'd be interested (I mean, it has no impact on my family, my livlyhood, my friends, my practice and I'm having a helluva lot of fun, so I don't see how it does me "no good"; OTOH, since you are here representing your sifu, anything you say or do reflects back on him, positive or negative)

grncastle
08-15-2010, 11:45 PM
As I've said.

Scott R. Brown
08-16-2010, 12:37 AM
I...that...is...we...will...obey...our...Scottish. ..masters...and...overlords...

Exxxxxxxaaaaaaccccctttllllyyyyyy!!!!!!

Now jump on one leg and bark like a chicken!!

What do you expect me to say? Argue back and forth every single point with you?

Ummmm! Isn't that just what you ARE doing?

You were offered to make comparison via video or something.

Can't you see there is no need to make a comparison video. The skills demonstrated in the above video are so poor on the part of both parties it is embarrassing to watch. The sad thing is, there are apparently people like you who think its the cat's meow!

The only thing more embarrassing than the video is there are people like you who think they can defend it!

Really, I am not trying to be mean, but wake up!

As I said at the start, you talk too much. You're so concerned about arguing back every single sentence, reply to every detail, editing as you please to cover tracks, and more. Your paradigm of thought is stuck in words. I can reply as little or as much as I want with little thought and it validates my point all the same.

tee hee.....tee hee!!!!

You can't compete with tgy in foolishness, erudition, argumentation, presentation of information......

Give it up! You are the one looking like the dimwit here!

Anyone viewing this thread can see how egotistical and vain you are.

Actually that is exactly what you are looking like, not tgy! You are WAY out of your depth here. I would quit while at least your nose is still above water!

:confused: what are you talking about? now you are spectacubating - spectacubator alert, spectacubator alert, calling all Scott Browns!

I showed up with my fire extinguisher, but I couldn't help putting on my tin foil hat and throwing more fuel on the fire!!!:eek:

should I try to think in pretty pictures like you do?

Everyone likes pretty pictures:).....where's sanjuro when we need him??

grncastle
08-16-2010, 12:53 AM
More words count less

tiaji1983
08-16-2010, 01:00 AM
grncastle,

Sir, I have no comment either way on the video, but if what thier saying is bothering you so much, just let it go and stop posting, or post something that will prove what your doing... Even a steady wind cannot blow forever, best to just hold fast to the void... Or hold on to the fact your saying your right, and drag on the bashing further....

grncastle
08-16-2010, 01:04 AM
Very good tiaji1983. You understand :)

Dragonzbane76
08-16-2010, 03:59 AM
lol, that you think you caused me to "do your bidding"; let's see, I answered your post in the same manner that I typically answer most posts; yeh, boy, u really got me to do something that I had no control over

I don't see how posting multiple times is a control issue?

Hell I quote and post like a fiend sometimes...;)

KC Elbows
08-16-2010, 01:03 PM
I just thought gloves would be good, and allowing the target to alter distance by small footwork. This would make refinements in the techniques themselves.

As for always tossing the guy backward, I suspect that's the point of the mattress. Didn't CMQ often use such a setup in pushhands? I believe I read that in an article of Robert W. Smith in JAMA. At some level, some of those throws wouldn't be done backwards, but if I'm gonna bag on this school for that, which they may be doing at one level in order to draw more contact out, they'd be about one millionth in line after the plethora of schools where contact is less likely than an awkward teen touching booby.

Karate guys do call some things sparring that we wouldn't call sparring.

TGY has said a great many things in the past to lead me to believe he has very good knowledge of internal kung fu.

If it has no specific moves, one cannot call it a specific style(re, Bawang's discussion).

If arguing three years ago changed nothing, is it insanity to expect a different result now?

Disparate points do not mean I'm SPJ. Unless I throw in ballad lyrics.

Form a gaggle to counter something one does not think is up to one's standards, and one almost always includes in the gaggle lower standards than the offending standard, creating a war of mediocrity lead by people who started out better than that. Just talking about netiquette.

Would like to see more videos in which the throws are executed with falls in different directions, where the striker is able to use more intent, which is why I suggested gloves, and where the striker and the defender are moving more, so that distance is trained. I would not judge another's technique as good or bad without being able to see that they have a feel for distance against blows that they need to be concerned with. This is not an attack on anyone, just trying to be helpful.

Arthur Conan Doyle fought what he didn't think was real. His famous detective made an impression, the rest didn't.

Harry Houdini was survived by a world full of psychics and a lot of magicians who studied his techniques.

Penn and Teller had a great stage show, it's why they are famous.

You are beautiful in every single way.:D

Dragonzbane76
08-16-2010, 03:06 PM
I...that...is...we...will...obey...our...Scottish. ..masters...and... overlords...

"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation."
Voltaire

:):p:D

swimgrad
08-16-2010, 03:41 PM
As for always tossing the guy backward, I suspect that's the point of the mattress. Didn't CMQ often use such a setup in pushhands? I believe I read that in an article of Robert W. Smith in JAMA.

To address the use of the mattress at the school, the idea was derived from the Yang family training. Our instructor has a private video of Yang Shou-Zhong (楊守中) doing fajin training with his students when he taught Yang style Taijiquan in his house in Hong Kong. The movements shown in the video are at the same level of complexity as and similar to our Stage 2 training. As far as I know, Yang Shou-Zhong is the only son of Yang Cheng-Fu (楊澄甫) who he instructed directly (the other sons were too young then). We don't have the permission to post the video clip. Hopefully, one day the Yang family will post it so that the Taiji community has the chance to see some of the exercises in addition to forms and push-hands the inner-circle students went through.

MysteriousPower
08-17-2010, 08:29 AM
Can someone please post the videos of tai gyakk? I would like to compare his fighting videos to the one in this thread. Thanks

Scott R. Brown
08-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Can someone please post the videos of tai gyakk? I would like to compare his fighting videos to the one in this thread. Thanks

His videos are forms, at least one is a weapon as I recall. It is unnecessary to use them to compare, the video posted here is very, very poor example of any martial skill. This is CLEARLY obvious to anyone who is not a newbie or brainwashed!

My 14 year old strikes better than the student in that video and his strikes were better than his even when he was 8 years old. Also the student obviously jumps back a number of times.

The teacher could not do anything he has demonstrated against a knowledgeable opponent. Anything is easy against a compliant, naive and/or ignorant student!

taai gihk yahn
08-17-2010, 08:44 AM
Can someone please post the videos of tai gyakk?
"tai gyakk"?!? that sounds like the noise an albatross would make trying to cough up a ball of string it swallowed by accident...

I would like to compare his fighting videos to the one in this thread. Thanks
what is with this continued obsession of people seeing videos of me?

also, for the purposes of comparison, I wouldn't have to put up "fighting" videos, because the original video posted IS NOT FIGHTING!!! (yeesh)

really, all that I would just have to demo is tossing around compliant defenders; actually, I DO have one of that somewhere...let me go search...:D

Scott R. Brown
08-17-2010, 08:57 AM
"tai gyakk"?!? that sounds like the noise an albatross would make trying to cough up a ball of string it swallowed by accident...

I see you have been to the beach!

what is with this continued obsession of people seeing videos of me?

also, for the purposes of comparison, I wouldn't have to put up "fighting" videos, because the original video posted IS NOT FIGHTING!!! (yeesh)

really, all that I would just have to demo is tossing around compliant defenders; actually, I DO have one of that somewhere...let me go search...:D

Maybe they want to see if you can fake internal power better than in the video here!

I'll tell you what....lets solicit these goofballs for a grant. Then you can fly out here to California, bring your family the weather is great, and we can make two "pretend" internal power videos. In one, I will be your dupe, and in the other you can be my dupe.

Then as you are leaving to return home I'll finally get my chance to blow your brains out from my albatross ball of string hide on the Pacific!

Good idea huh?:cool:

KC Elbows
08-17-2010, 09:12 AM
I believe he also played a pizza delivery guy in a series of videos. Those also included struggling and a mattress.

Scott R. Brown
08-17-2010, 09:16 AM
I believe he also played a pizza delivery guy in a series of videos. Those also included struggling and a mattress.

Didn't he go by the name of Ron something in those videos?

KC Elbows
08-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Didn't he go by the name of Ron something in those videos?

You're thinking of Sanjuro Ronin, little hairy fellow, right?

No, TGY went by the stage name of D1ck Sheer in a brief series during the early nineties titled "D1ck Sheer meets Penny Tranny."

I believe he even breaks out a single whip in one scene.

Scott R. Brown
08-17-2010, 09:31 AM
You're thinking of Sanjuro Ronin, little hairy fellow, right?

No, TGY went by the stage name of D1ck Sheer in a brief series during the early nineties titled "D1ck Sheer meets Penny Tranny."

I believe he even breaks out a single whip in one scene.

Yeah he strikes a mean whip, I always wondered what a double single whip would look like, but I never had the courage to watch those limited release vids. I am much too well adjusted for that kind of kink! I understand though, he had to pay his way through P.T. school and I guess it paid better than stripping!

KC Elbows
08-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Doesn't martialartsmart sell a double single whip set?

Scott R. Brown
08-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Doesn't martialartsmart sell a double single whip set?

Yeah, but that is only found on the super secret, members only, secret password site. My mommy won't let me play in that neighborhood! If you go there, please tell me what its like!

taai gihk yahn
08-17-2010, 12:31 PM
yeesh, u make a couple of indie "art" films in college and yer pegged for life...

Scott R. Brown
08-17-2010, 06:32 PM
yeesh, u make a couple of indie "art" films in college and yer pegged for life...

Well, I have to say they demonstrated about as much Chi power as the demonstration video in this thread, so at least you have that legacy going for you!:)

taai gihk yahn
08-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Well, I have to say they demonstrated about as much Chi power as the demonstration video in this thread, so at least you have that legacy going for you!:)

oh yeah, that was what this thread was about, I had quite forgotten...:p

bawang
08-17-2010, 07:40 PM
real tai chi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T81Jyp5w1k

taai gihk yahn
08-17-2010, 07:58 PM
real tai chi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T81Jyp5w1k

how did it feel when he threw u and pressed on ur throte?