PDA

View Full Version : Attention all Wah Lummers.......

MiamiMantis
09-12-2000, 05:54 AM
What I have to say is long, so grab a cold one and sit back....I found kung fu online by accident. I didn't even know it existed, but I'm glad I found it. I am real new to this site but not to Wah Lum. I've been training under Sifu Shelly Huang for over 12 years and I know alot but surely don't know it all, so I'm in it for the long run. I thought this was a cool site so I decided to go back and look at the old topics that were posted, and let me tell you I was shocked. Most of the Wah Lum related stuff was nothing but students bashing students students bashing Sifu's and to top it off students bashing Master Chan and Mimi. No.1 I don't think we should be airing our dirty laundry on this site because the whole kung fu community reads all this too. What do you think they think about all this?.If you have a difference of opinion with someone, e-mail them or set up a private chat room. Lets face it there are politics no matter where you go in life. In sports, on the job, in government and so on. That's a fact of life. Who cares that such and such was on a magazine cover and such and was not?. Does it make a differance?. Look at the whole forest and not just the trees. Whoever is on the cover of a magazine is only making Wah Lum shine!. Does it really matter who it was?.Does it really make a differance who is a more senior Sifu and who is not?. It shouldn't. Should it affect your training?. No. Should it affect you that so and so were kicked out or that so and so left?. It shouldn't. Don't get caught up in politics, it will only bring down you and the system.Let me give you some examples. Look at Tae Kwon Do they have at least 2 different federations and neither one will recognize the forms of the other. Is that insane?. Look at Kempo. After Ed Parker passed on everybody was claiming to be the successor. Can that possibly help the system in any way?. I don't think so. I'm not putting down either system, just stating facts. You pay hard earned money to train hard. Don't get caught up in he said or she said ideals. Of course Wah Lum forms will vary slightly from school to school or from country to country especially if they are far apart. Because No1. not everybody can test in Orlando and No.2 because people will always interpert forms the way they see it or remember it. Train as hard as you can to make yourself the best you can be. You should be competing only against yourself and not each other. Is my fighting as good as Troy's was? probally not. Are my butterfly kicks as good as Shauns were?probally not. Are my forms as crisp as Ben and Tu's?. Close but not as good. The point is train for yourself and don't reach for extreme goals. All those people train hard and are gifted in what they do. Yeah it's great to go to the Temple and train. I've been there many times and have learned at least 3 forms directly from Master Chan. It's good to go there because it charges your batteries and gives you new energy to train even harder. Those who have been there from other schools know what I'm talking about. But sometimes I am thankfull that I don't train at the Temple so I am far removed from what happens. Alot of times I don't even find out about news for a month or 2 later, sometimes even longer. I'm glad to be in Wah Lum and don't really care what happens on the "inside". We are all one big family and like family there will always be differences among people that's human nature. I wish I could of went to the Tournament, but due to injuries I was unable to do so. I am looking forward to next year though. I hope no ones takes this personally as I am not pointing fingers, only making a statement. Thank you for giving me your time to read this.

adam
09-12-2000, 08:55 AM
Hey Miami,

I am new to this whole scene and was thinking the same thing. I don't know all the history/politics of the temple like you do but just from this board I am seeing it. I just met Mimi last monday and was thinking about all this stuff. Anyways, I thought students would know more about the Yin.

Maybe I am wrong?

------------------
Visit http://www.mybizhosting.com for website hosting.

Robinf
09-12-2000, 09:11 PM
MiamiMantis,

That has to be the most level headed post I've ever read on this board. I'm thrilled you took the time to think it and type it. I am very far removed from whatever goes on politically in Wah Lum. Actually, I'm only in it because I LOVE the way it moves--it makes sense to me and is a great challenge. I've only been in the system for 2 1/2 years and I'm charged up every day I train. It's just a collosal system.

Thanks, again, for your time and thoughtfullness.

Robin

wahlum1820
09-22-2000, 11:01 PM
Bravo Miami,

Yes I have been caught up in the Wah Lum Politics because my sifu as well as many other sifu's of this system have had a falling out with Master Chan, but I would never bash Master Chan because if it was not for him then none of us would have learned this system. I also commend you on telling people not to air out their dirty laundry because regardless of you think about this person and that person when you start bashing people it really shows how much character you don't have.

There is a group of people that are out there that call themselves the ExLumers and if anyone would like to vent about the Wah Lum Pai then please track them down and vent there...this board is no place to do it. From what I understand it is a place to learn and talk to other Martial Atrists, not vent about how bad this person and that person is.

Mike