PDA

View Full Version : stump training

KUN-KANG
09-12-2000, 11:20 PM
GREETINGS TO ALL FELLOW MANTIS PRACTITIONERS,I would like to know if any of you practice on the wooden stumps? if so then what is its purpose and how does one go about doing it? im refering to the poles the one walks on top off. any help will be greatly appreciated.

------------------

ILL,RIP YOU A NEW A-HOLE!!

RAVEN Todd Brenson
09-12-2000, 11:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KUN-KANG:

GREETINGS TO ALL FELLOW MANTIS PRACTITIONERS,I would like to know if any of you practice on the wooden stumps? if so then what is its purpose and how does one go about doing it? im refering to the poles the one walks on top off. any help will be greatly appreciated.

[/quote] The purpose of the stumps are basicaly for ,the ability of balance performance,while you are balanced on one stump you focuse your style,and perform your style by using multaple stumps,to gain controle over your inner personality,chi,and focuse on the other stumps by rotating on spiecle stance forms.While you do this your inner chi will come inhanced with your outer personality and combind as one.Any more questions my style is basically the same focuse using the same practice as the mantis.my email address is brenson@mwt.net any further questions regarding email me.thanks.

Hua Lin Laoshi
09-12-2000, 11:47 PM
I practice basics on the poles to increase balance and stability. Mostly Bai Fut Sow, basic stances, punches and kicks. I work out my own routine depending on the pattern of the poles. Hopefully someday I'll get formal training or learn a form on the poles. Until then it's just balance, balance, balance.

bitesfirst
09-13-2000, 02:27 AM
Call me odd, but I recentlty set up a set of Plum Flower Poles (that's what I eas told they are called). There are 8 in a circle with a longer one in the middle (I use this one for forearm training and to regain my balance as I am most decidedly no master of the poles). They are great for developing leg strength, balance, concentration and I usually do my Qi gung on them. The most hindersom part is the pain in the bottem of the feet and calves. I'm hoping that goes away as I get better, like most pains. They are a great deal of work, I suppose if they wern't, they wouldn't be gung fu. I know some twisting exercises that move from a Horse, to a ladies and twists back into a horse stance. Another involves the same movement as above while holding the middle pole and twisting through an arched back. It's kind of an Iron Bridge while standing.

mantis7
09-13-2000, 07:03 AM
HEy kung kan you can locate Shifu Albright here ok....

Victor

RAVEN Todd Brenson
09-13-2000, 11:12 AM
Sence I was in the forum I forgot to mention in the e-mail I sent you,Shortly I will E-mail you back when I have this ready I also wrote a book called Kwon Chi'Do' its a system for beginners,to studie at and I am going to build another website for this book and to tell more of my style,when its finished I will e-mail you the URL for the site,seeYA again nice to chat with you.

------------------

8stepsifu
09-13-2000, 10:54 PM
coffee cans work as well. If you are too heavy, fill them with cement.

Paul Skrypichayko
09-14-2000, 04:51 AM
Coffee cans would work well for beginners, but as you get better, you will need something to give you more of a challenge. Soup cans, small bowls, and bricks are all cheap, and easily available materials for training on.

Always watch out for your ankles though, make sure you dont get injured while training.

Plum blossom poles can be a generic name for all pole/stump training. But "plum blossom" is the name for a specific basic formation of poles.

As for qigong, why do you need to practice it on poles and in awkward positions? Just do it while you're at work, or watching TV. Simple, relaxing, and you get more stuff done in your life.