PDA

View Full Version : Black Bob Punching Dummies

hskwarrior
08-16-2010, 07:48 AM
I didn't know they made black bob punching dummy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sFB9HWdj7U

Hmmmm.....i can't help but wonder......:rolleyes:

David Jamieson
08-16-2010, 08:16 AM
I don't think that's a bob. It might be some other product.

sanjuro_ronin
08-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Spar-pro USED to have different "ethnic" dummies:
White
Black
Hispanic.

David Jamieson
08-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Spar-pro USED to have different "ethnic" dummies:
White
Black
Hispanic.

This is funny and horribly racist all in one go.
yeesh, marketing genius at work, don't mind the pointy white hat, pay no nevermind to that! lol

taai gihk yahn
08-16-2010, 01:20 PM
why am I the only one that finds the use of the name Bob to be horribly, well, nameist?

lkfmdc
08-16-2010, 02:28 PM
I object to the fact that model is thicker and taller than the other models

mooyingmantis
08-16-2010, 04:02 PM
I wonder if they come with drooping pants? :D

David Jamieson
08-16-2010, 04:39 PM
why does the black one come with a huge handle under the waist?

hskwarrior
08-16-2010, 06:19 PM
nah...its a bob painted black and has either one or two long t shirts you see young urban kids wearing.

taai gihk yahn
08-17-2010, 10:48 AM
nah...its a bob painted black and has either one or two long t shirts you see young urban kids wearing.
well, obviously they've had some trouble in their neighborhood with the sort of young ruffian you describe, so can you blame them for making their training context specific :rolleyes:

KC Elbows
08-17-2010, 11:39 AM
well, obviously they've had some trouble in their neighborhood with the sort of young ruffian you describe, so can you blame them for making their training context specific :rolleyes:

You all assume the main issue is that the dummy is black. Ever think he's training to deal with a legless thug who just happens to be black?

hskwarrior
08-17-2010, 11:48 AM
KC Elbows
Quote: You all assume the main issue is that the dummy is black. Ever think he's training to deal with a legless thug who just happens to be black?

are you saying that there's no way that the legless thug could be white? are you inferring that ALL white people are little pansies who let darker skinned people run over them like welcome matts? hahahahaha

I know you're not saying that! :D

bawang
08-17-2010, 11:53 AM
are you inferring that ALL white people are little pansies who let darker skinned people run over them like welcome matts?

ya

dsfsd

KC Elbows
08-17-2010, 11:57 AM
I heard my legless white friend couldn't get a job getting punched in the face because of Bob. And my friend is really more qualified to get punched in the face.

David Jamieson
08-17-2010, 12:28 PM
I heard my legless white friend couldn't get a job getting punched in the face because of Bob. And my friend is really more qualified to get punched in the face.

in all honesty, it wasn't his leglessness. It was because he wasn't black. Maybe he should paint himself up and try again?

mooyingmantis
08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
He would also get extra points added to the hiring test if he was a she, or she-male. Only in America!

David Jamieson
08-17-2010, 03:14 PM
He would also get extra points added to the hiring test if he was a she, or she-male. Only in America!

A gay mixed race she-male can go far in America.
And in Canada...and Britain.

Everywhere else...not such a good go of it. :(

taai gihk yahn
08-17-2010, 03:31 PM

are u suggesting that, because Bob is legless and armless he is less adept than ur friend at getting punched in the face?

what about if Bob was put into a large body of water? would he, well, bob? and if he would, would ur friend then claim that Bob could bob because he was Bob, as opposed to his not having arms and legs?

see, we are back to nameism again, aren't we - you, sir, are a rabid anti-Bobite!

David Jamieson
08-18-2010, 01:50 PM
are u suggesting that, because Bob is legless and armless he is less adept than ur friend at getting punched in the face?

what about if Bob was put into a large body of water? would he, well, bob? and if he would, would ur friend then claim that Bob could bob because he was Bob, as opposed to his not having arms and legs?

see, we are back to nameism again, aren't we - you, sir, are a rabid anti-Bobite!

You see, if bob was in the water, he would...well bob. Until KC's evil friend Duncan showed up that is.

Violent Designs
08-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Is that the Ross that posts here?

Yum Cha
08-18-2010, 02:49 PM
ahhhh......its just a flesh wound...

hskwarrior
08-19-2010, 06:55 AM
Actually, in my opinion, that guy just has STUDIO understanding of the Sow Choy. There is way more to it and at the same time, he's throwing other systems theories into the mix.

KC Elbows
08-19-2010, 08:39 AM
You see, if bob was in the water, he would...well bob. Until KC's evil friend Duncan showed up that is.

Duncan isn't evil. He's just qualified for a good punch in the face, and bitter. Like many who are denied a reacharound by the unfair philanges of affirmative action!:D

darkie1973
08-27-2010, 01:30 AM
that guy has NO understanding of how those techniques work,....

Scott Larson
08-27-2010, 06:41 AM
I invited him to the forum, to discuss the video.

Paddleboard
08-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi folks, I'm that guy from the video. First of all, that is not a BOB painted black. It's a hard plastic dummy, that used to be a Slam Man (you might remember them). Mine was from a garage sale, and it has no padding left. The padding was cheap and cracking, and over time it fell off until all that's left is this plastic shell. You'll notice the face doesn't really have any features. It has nothing to do with black people, and it would be even weirder painting it white or something. I explained this on one of my youtube videos, but I might want to tack that onto the descriptions of the other videos, where it's standing in the background.

that guy has NO understanding of how those techniques work,....
Yes I do- they work like I said, and I've sparred with them against all sorts of people. However, I'll bet you learned a different way that was the "right" way, and I'd love to hear about it.

For real.

Paddleboard
08-27-2010, 09:29 AM

Those are actually a few regular sized t shirts. The thing itself is rough plastic so a few shirts pads it a little. The under layer is shirts from my old kung fu school, but I put one random one over the top since I no longer represent them.

It's a souvenir shirt from the Winchester Mystey House, I belive.

sanjuro_ronin
08-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Just an FYI, when Spar-pro carried the different ethnic "bobs", the hispanic and black ones were always sold out.

Paddleboard
08-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Actually, in my opinion, that guy just has STUDIO understanding of the Sow Choy. There is way more to it and at the same time, he's throwing other systems theories into the mix.

Well, I did learn it in a studio originally, and eventually I quit after nearly a decade of study because I felt that there were a lot of things lacking about that school. There may be a lot more to the strike, but as I learned it, I've only been able to make the extended fist strikes work by using them as single time counters. Is it traditional, ie does it come straight from the forms? No, and you don't have to call it choy li fut if you don't want to. Is it mixing other systems' theories? Yes. I believe in the Dog Brothers tag line "smuggling concepts across the borders of style". Speaking of which- these lines work in stickfighting. The PT takeoff is fundamental to the DBMA fighting method. The single time counter while moving offline is also big in the training/fighting methods of historical pugilism, being referenced in the works of Edwin Shaw, James Corbet, Doran and Donnely (and probably more). These were all men who made the same type of single time counters work against real, trained opponents in the ring (lots of them). How do you throw a wide punch without being countered by a more direct punch? The video was my answer- angling, footwork, single time counters, and using it as a followup to a jarring strike.

Paddleboard
08-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Looks like someone's dropping a bunch of thumbs down for my videos. Some comments or video replies would be a lot more constructive.

darkie1973
08-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Well let me start off by clarifying, first my background is in Tibetan White Crane regarding said techniques, so my understanding of the principles of application may be a bit different than a Choy Li Fut persons,.... since however I was taught in the 'one technique, one thousand applications' school of thought, I'm thinking style shouldn't matter at all.

Yes I do- they work like I said, and I've sparred with them against all sorts of people. However, I'll bet you learned a different way that was the "right" way, and I'd love to hear about it.

I don't believe in the simplistic 'your way is wrong, my way is right' way of thinking,.... but I do believe in solid principles of application. As an example, in your form demonstration of kahp choi, you initiate the technique with a bin choi but seem to totally ignore its relevance application-wise; that bin choi is a limb destruction technique (read: not a pak sau slap that can be circled away from, a striking of the limb to make your opponent think twice about throwing that next jab.) The proper evasive (side stepping/angling) foot work and appropriate range/distancing is also important, which brings me to my second point: perhaps you have been able to use these techniques effectively in these fashions (kudos,.... seriously,) but I must confess to some bit of confusion on my part. You spent the whole video explaining how you have tried to fit these LONG ARM techniques into what you are clearly demonstrating to be SHORT RANGE scenarios. I know that Choy has short range techniques that are designed to be used effectively at that range,.... short pow choi,.... screw all the gung-fu for second,... fade to the outside and short boxers uppercut to the ribs! Sow choi is not the technique to use when your opponent is 'smothering' you.

Paddleboard
08-29-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't believe in the simplistic 'your way is wrong, my way is right' way of thinking,.... but I do believe in solid principles of application.
Good for you.

As an example, in your form demonstration of kahp choi, you initiate the technique with a bin choi but seem to totally ignore its relevance application-wise; that bin choi is a limb destruction technique (read: not a pak sau slap that can be circled away from, a striking of the limb to make your opponent think twice about throwing that next jab.)
Can't you circle away from it if you do it as a limb destruction? If you're striking the arm hard enough to make them not want to punch, it seems like it would be easier to clue in on it. Also, by doing a forceful bridging and smashing technique, they will likely have a split second signal where they have an idea of what's coming next (a high line punch is a likely candidate). The main idea though, is that I'm not doing a hard forceful smash to initiate it because that would make it a 1-2 motion, and the way I'm doing it isn't like that- it's a single time punch making use of an empty line and a moment in time where there is a lapse in defense.

The proper evasive (side stepping/angling) foot work and appropriate range/distancing is also important
No disputes there.

You spent the whole video explaining how you have tried to fit these LONG ARM techniques into what you are clearly demonstrating to be SHORT RANGE scenarios.
Triangular footwork can muddy this a bit, since one of the main functions of the triangular footwork is that you can evade an opponent while still positioning yourself to attack. I call it a long arm technique because my elbow is extended more than 90 degrees, and it closely resembles the sow choi I learned in a bunch of choy li fut forms. When done this way, I'm able to really extend my arm, and not have to collapse it to hit the right spot, so it is a long range strike for the fist at least. It makes more sense if you see the view from the top.

I know that Choy has short range techniques that are designed to be used effectively at that range,.... short pow choi,.... screw all the gung-fu for second,... fade to the outside and short boxers uppercut to the ribs! Sow choi is not the technique to use when your opponent is 'smothering' you.
Yeah, I'd agree that sow choi isn't what to do when an opponent is smothering you. However, I was showing it as a jab counter, and someone throwing one jab is hardly smothering me. Shovel hooks are good and can be used the same way, but that was kinda beyond the scope of the video.

hskwarrior
08-29-2010, 03:17 PM
i never gave you any thumbs down. i hate having them myself. but good for you for moving on to bigger and better things. im sorry you may have wasted your time there.

but there are a few more ways to launch a big wide swinging strike like the sow choy but thats for another thread.

Paddleboard
08-29-2010, 03:44 PM
i never gave you any thumbs down. i hate having them myself. but good for you for moving on to bigger and better things. im sorry you may have wasted your time there.

but there are a few more ways to launch a big wide swinging strike like the sow choy but thats for another thread.

I'm sure there are, but I should point out what my martial arts videos are about: you can find videos of all kinds of kung fu applications, and I don't want to just regurgitate the same old stuff. Not that it's bad; but it's been done and taught better than I would. What I've tried to present is things that are fairly unique and out of the box, and leave the conventions for other people to approach.
I don't consider my time spent at the kung fu school wasted; it did a lot of good things for me, but sometimes it's time to move on when you're not getting what you want out of training. Recently I've been training at a systema place, and its conceptual nature and unorthodox methods have really been keeping my attention.

hskwarrior
08-29-2010, 04:14 PM
thats a good thing. we always need to keep learning.

darkie1973
08-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Can't you circle away from it if you do it as a limb destruction?

If your throwing a jab, and I've intercepted your attacking arm (ie., matched your technique with my own similar to a boxer matching simultaneous jab for jab,) with a kwa or bin choi, I've just disprupted your entire anatomical frame work,.... you're not gonna be able to circle away from anything because it would require you resetting position and THEN circling away,... the fraction of a second that you would have is not enough time. Even if you initiate the jab with a circling step, the technique will be read by your opponent.

If you're striking the arm hard enough to make them not want to punch, it seems like it would be easier to clue in on it.

Your statement here gives me the impression that you believe that in order to generate enough power to accomplish this, that I would have to 'muscle through', the whipping of the waist along with the accompanying circling/evasive foot work and relaxed arm until impact is the correct way to generate power for this technique. I don't need to tense, and therefore create an unecessary telegraph for my opponent to read in order to generate effective power.

Also, by doing a forceful bridging and smashing technique, they will likely have a split second signal where they have an idea of what's coming next (a high line punch is a likely candidate).

Kwa and bin are not bridging techniques per say,... that is to say, they are NOT utilized as a range finder or to create a sensitivity to my opponents movements by 'linking' up with him. These techniques are more in the vein of "I wouldn't touch you 'cept to hit you." This does however require an understanding of range and timing in order to be effective; an understanding of your opponents position and his weapons in regards to your position. ALSO kwa and bin DON'T have to always precede a high line punch such as sow or kahp; you can come from beneath with pow, from a low to horizontal hook with gok, straight through with chinh or chop. Not knowing which angle the technique is coming from (especially after your center has been disprupted,) means you're probably not dodging a D A M N thing.

The main idea though, is that I'm not doing a hard forceful smash to initiate it because that would make it a 1-2 motion

You demonstrated the kahp choi technique on your video,... that wasn't a 1-2 motion,... that was a single technique, as it should be.

and the way I'm doing it isn't like that- it's a single time punch making use of an empty line and a moment in time where there is a lapse in defense.

YOU demonstrated the bin kahp,... I'M merely pointing out that you are ignoring an integral part of the technique that YOU demonstrated. If you utilize the bin with the kahp, per the form YOU demonstrated, you CREATE a lapse in defense, rather than wait for one. There's an old saying in TCMA,.... 'you defeat the cobra by first destroying his fangs.'

I was showing it as a jab counter, and someone throwing one jab is hardly smothering me.

The jab, as you demonstrated in your video was a conventional boxers jab; One of Choy Li Futs prominent attributes is to increase the range of its attacks/techniques through the extension of the arms/shoulders and the whipping/torque of the waist, which should effectively make you 'out-range' a boxers jab by 8-10". Therefore, if an opponent is close enough to throw a jab, and get anywhere near to your face (at least as a Choy Li Fut fighter,) then you have been smothered,.... in which case, sow and kahp are NOT the techniques for this situation.

Paddleboard
08-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Your statement here gives me the impression that you believe that in order to generate enough power to accomplish this, that I would have to 'muscle through', the whipping of the waist along with the accompanying circling/evasive foot work and relaxed arm until impact is the correct way to generate power for this technique. I don't need to tense, and therefore create an unecessary telegraph for my opponent to read in order to generate effective power.
I know you don't need to tense to attack with kwa.

Kwa and bin are not bridging techniques per say,... that is to say, they are NOT utilized as a range finder or to create a sensitivity to my opponents movements by 'linking' up with him. These techniques are more in the vein of "I wouldn't touch you 'cept to hit you." This does however require an understanding of range and timing in order to be effective; an understanding of your opponents position and his weapons in regards to your position. ALSO kwa and bin DON'T have to always precede a high line punch such as sow or kahp; you can come from beneath with pow, from a low to horizontal hook with gok, straight through with chinh or chop. Not knowing which angle the technique is coming from (especially after your center has been disprupted,) means you're probably not dodging a D A M N thing.
Do you do kwa off the rear hand?

YOU demonstrated the bin kahp,... I'M merely pointing out that you are ignoring an integral part of the technique that YOU demonstrated. If you utilize the bin with the kahp, per the form YOU demonstrated, you CREATE a lapse in defense, rather than wait for one. There's an old saying in TCMA,.... 'you defeat the cobra by first destroying his fangs.'
I've always read that phrase regarding the Filipino arts. What I demonstrated was using the rear hand to feel out their lead hand and keep it ready to redirect or defend against attack. I don't know what "bin" actually is, maybe I know it as something else, but what I was doing was not like a gwa-kup combination. As far as creating an opening instead of waiting for one- systema has been teaching me that you often don't have to create openings- there's always something open, and when you play with a good practitioner, it is a lot more frustrating and soul crushing when your partner doesn't bother creating openings and just hits you somewhere unexpected whenever you try to do anything (this was also the key behind a 30-year kempo practitioner that I got to spar with).

The jab, as you demonstrated in your video was a conventional boxers jab; One of Choy Li Futs prominent attributes is to increase the range of its attacks/techniques through the extension of the arms/shoulders and the whipping/torque of the waist, which should effectively make you 'out-range' a boxers jab by 8-10". Therefore, if an opponent is close enough to throw a jab, and get anywhere near to your face (at least as a Choy Li Fut fighter,) then you have been smothered,.... in which case, sow and kahp are NOT the techniques for this situation.
I no longer use the full body extension as done in the forms. It turns out that there's some advantages to shortening things up, and this is made use of in systema and Okinawan karate. Not better or worse, but different.

darkie1973
08-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Do you do kwa off the rear hand?

In your video, I quote "kahp choi is a strike that looks like this,... it's the right hand that hits,.... BUT USUALLY IT'S THE LEFT HAND WILL DOES SOMETHING FIRST." That left hand is kwa, (or bin it the backfist travels more horizontally than vertically),.... watch your video again,.... then time how long it takes for the kahp to reach the target from the point at which the left hand has crashed through the jab. And just to clarify,.... my kwa is of the lead hand, preceding the kahp,... just as you did in your form demo. Openings arise in that space between a defensive stance and an attack,... the jab an opponent initiates is that space,... for the kwa AND the kahp are BOTH attacks. Good luck with your systema training (Systema looks awesome,.... I wish I had the opportunity to train in it,) but as you said,.... you spent a decade do Choy,... I just think it would be a shame for you to not exploit it to it's fullest in order to increase your effectiveness.

hskwarrior
08-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Kwa Choy off the rear hand is in my lineage. always preceded by something...no biggie on what it is, as long as something precedes it.

Paddleboard
08-29-2010, 09:00 PM
In your video, I quote "kahp choi is a strike that looks like this,... it's the right hand that hits,.... BUT USUALLY IT'S THE LEFT HAND WILL DOES SOMETHING FIRST." That left hand is kwa, (or bin it the backfist travels more horizontally than vertically),.... watch your video again,.... then time how long it takes for the kahp to reach the target from the point at which the left hand has crashed through the jab. And just to clarify,.... my kwa is of the lead hand, preceding the kahp,... just as you did in your form demo.
To clarify, I was using the front arm offline sow choi as the opening strike, rather than a downward/outward motion like kwa (or bin apparently). I think this variation is more well suited for a more square stance with both hands up since it's hard to do a good kwa without any windup from that position (and I prefer a more orthodox hands up body somewhat squared stance). A variation I also like is to throw the left so that it strikes downward against the body if they're expecting it to hit their face, and the intention is to bow the back towards an imaginary triangle point behind them (I didn't show this variation, and it takes some specific body mechanics to deliver the power correctly). Striking the face or body will clear a path for the sow choi, as will using kwa or bin, but I prefer the former because of my stance preference.

Openings arise in that space between a defensive stance and an attack,... the jab an opponent initiates is that space,... for the kwa AND the kahp are BOTH attacks. Good luck with your systema training (Systema looks awesome,.... I wish I had the opportunity to train in it,) but as you said,.... you spent a decade do Choy,... I just think it would be a shame for you to not exploit it to it's fullest in order to increase your effectiveness.
Thanks, systema has been fun (and painful) and I recommend trying it out if you get the chance. It's unlike anything else I've seen. There's elements of choy li fut that I'm keeping and others that I'm letting shrivel up. I work on my heavy bags and other training equipment, and spar with a diverse group of people. If it turns into something that doesn't look like choy li fut, that's fine with me. I don't call it that.

darkie1973
08-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Kwa Choy off the rear hand is in my lineage. always preceded by something...no biggie on what it is, as long as something precedes it.

Does the kwa precede the kahp in your lineage of choy,.... like he demonstrated in the video?

hskwarrior
08-29-2010, 10:52 PM
it can. or even a chin na type grab/or the sinking block and grab then the Kwa Choy. but kwa sow is a very basic 2 strike combination in all of CLF

but in the Lau Bun lineage we also use a Kwa Choy with the lead then followed by the rear hand Kwa Choy.

Paddleboard
08-30-2010, 09:59 AM
but in the Lau Bun lineage we also use a Kwa Choy with the lead then followed by the rear hand Kwa Choy.
I studied a Lau Bun lineage and we did this one. I liked it for breaking stuff on odd occasions, or use the first gwa to draw a block, then strike their arm with the second.

hskwarrior
08-30-2010, 10:09 AM
right. inside or outiside the first Kwa is strike limbs then the following Kwa Choy to the face. but we have other usages for that as well.