PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Teacher/School in Toronto

Youdi
08-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Hey guys, well posting on here is pretty daunting with everyone knowing so much about everything.

I'm a complete n00b. And I don't know really which style I should start with. I've heard of Bajiquan, Shaolin, Mantis, Tai Chi Chuan, Wing Chun, White Crane. I'm overweight and have been running for a while now trying to get into shape. I've always been impressed by how fit and healthy Martial Arts practitioners are. My favourite has always been Kung Fu though I've never had the time/resources to get into it.

I understand that there isn't anything such as a "best style". If anything I'd like to learn as many different forms/styles as possible (over the course of my entire life) so as to better defend myself. Someone in these forums said (can't remember where) that ideally what your learning is a gate that will open the door to another gate (style/form) which will work best for you, this will beget more openings and paths for you to follow and help you attain a better Kung Fu.

I'm on here and not just going to a random place because I understand the need for "proper instruction". As an Economics student I understand the need for proper teachers and the proper school of thought. The majority isn't always right, you need to learn the fundamentals (truths about) an Economy, how it works, why it works, what sustains it and what activities move it in the right direction. I find that this line of thinking applies to many things in life and probably also to learning Kung Fu.

Personally I find that Tai Chi Chuan is interesting in how you do not force urself on them, you go with the flow. Bajiquan is interesting because well... 1 punch and it's done, Mantis just looks cool! (oh boy... prob. gonna get flamed :p).

If anyone knows of a good place to start in Toronto I would find that very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to read this complete n00b and helping him start his journey.

p.s. If I'm going about this the wrong way, please let me know why and what I should do find the right path.

Cheers

hskwarrior
08-17-2010, 11:36 AM
buk sing choy lee fut in toronto

sanjuro_ronin
08-17-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm a complete n00b. And I don't know really which style I should start with. I've heard of Bajiquan, Shaolin, Mantis, Tai Chi Chuan, Wing Chun, White Crane. I'm overweight and have been running for a while now trying to get into shape. I've always been impressed by how fit and healthy Martial Arts practitioners are. My favourite has always been Kung Fu though I've never had the time/resources to get into it.

Well, is there a REASON you mentioned THOSE systems? and which would you prefer?
T.O has all of them.
As for getting healthy, if that is your main goal perhaps joining a gym would be better.

bawang
08-17-2010, 11:55 AM
join thai chee. it make u lose weight fast i garentee. wang chong also good for street defence.

but i recommend u come to my school Wombat Combat on spadina road. pls u come i teach deadly kung fu. im desperate for monies. PLS MAN PLS

taai gihk yahn
08-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Wombat Combat on spadina road.
I think that you mean to pronounce that "spadEEna"...

bawang
08-17-2010, 12:21 PM
i forgot mention instead of teaching the deadly wombat combat kung fu, il be actually teaching you choy lee fut

David Jamieson
08-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Hey guys, well posting on here is pretty daunting with everyone knowing so much about everything.

I understand that there isn't anything such as a "best style". If anything I'd like to learn as many different forms/styles as possible (over the course of my entire life) so as to better defend myself. Someone in these forums said (can't remember where) that ideally what your learning is a gate that will open the door to another gate (style/form) which will work best for you, this will beget more openings and paths for you to follow and help you attain a better Kung Fu.

I'm on here and not just going to a random place because I understand the need for "proper instruction". As an Economics student I understand the need for proper teachers and the proper school of thought. The majority isn't always right, you need to learn the fundamentals (truths about) an Economy, how it works, why it works, what sustains it and what activities move it in the right direction. I find that this line of thinking applies to many things in life and probably also to learning Kung Fu.

Personally I find that Tai Chi Chuan is interesting in how you do not force urself on them, you go with the flow. Bajiquan is interesting because well... 1 punch and it's done, Mantis just looks cool! (oh boy... prob. gonna get flamed :p).

If anyone knows of a good place to start in Toronto I would find that very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to read this complete n00b and helping him start his journey.

p.s. If I'm going about this the wrong way, please let me know why and what I should do find the right path.

Cheers

There's quite a lot of martial arts instruction available in Toronto.
Here's a link to start: MA in TO Sites on google (http://www.google.ca/search?q=martial+arts+in+toronto&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

There is a particular concentration of kungfu schoos in the Queen and Spadina area and up towards Dundas.

As you know, Toronto is a huge city. Mississauga is another city entirely, as is Markham etc.

If you are in the core, check out what is close by. If you are on the outskirts, still check out what is close by.

If you are close to Markham, drop me a PM. :)

Youdi
08-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys

So far I've been told

Northern Shaolin, Wushu, and Wing Chun, White Crane
Buk Sing Choy Lee Fut & Choy Lee Fut

Twice Choy Lee Fut, tho it made me curious about the style, checked out a couple of Youtube clips, it looks like a furious and dynamic style (right or wrong?) I'd like to understand the difference between what would a person gain from choosing Buk Sing Choy Lee Fut and Praying Mantis

As for why I mentioned the forms I did, it is simply because they are the ones i've come across the most. I saw a demonstration of Push Hands where one position leads into another you do not pull away but you go in (didn't get everything) now Push Hands I would consider to be a useful thing to know (It isn't all the martial art)

As for Bajiquan and Praying Mantis i've known from this guy and his site

http://www.wutangcenter.com/wt/bajipigua.htm

I like his approach to it. Was initially wondering if there was a school in Toronto like this.

BTW I live on Staines RD so in Scarborough right next to Markham

David Jamieson
08-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys

So far I've been told

Northern Shaolin, Wushu, and Wing Chun, White Crane
Buk Sing Choy Lee Fut & Choy Lee Fut

Twice Choy Lee Fut, tho it made me curious about the style, checked out a couple of Youtube clips, it looks like a furious and dynamic style (right or wrong?) I'd like to understand the difference between what would a person gain from choosing Buk Sing Choy Lee Fut and Praying Mantis

As for why I mentioned the forms I did, it is simply because they are the ones i've come across the most. I saw a demonstration of Push Hands where one position leads into another you do not pull away but you go in (didn't get everything) now Push Hands I would consider to be a useful thing to know (It isn't all the martial art)

As for Bajiquan and Praying Mantis i've known from this guy and his site

http://www.wutangcenter.com/wt/bajipigua.htm

I like his approach to it. Was initially wondering if there was a school in Toronto like this.

BTW I live on Staines RD so in Scarborough right next to Markham

Scarborough and Markham have Kungfu as well.

There's only two real guidelines to becoming a kungfu practitioner.
Absolutely everything falls under these two simple directives.

they are:

1) Begin

2) Continue

:)

Do some shopping around and dropping in on schools during class times when you have the time. Ask to watch. Watch the senior students, they tend to be a good gauge of the school overall and the teaching ability of the instructor.

ask to participate in a free class if they offer one and so on.

You will eventually find a teacher and a club that you like and are comfortable with. In the meantime, keep working on yoru personal fitness because that will always help you with martial studies.