PDA

View Full Version : How many wing chun or mma men would get killed by this man?

MysteriousPower
08-19-2010, 08:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jb3lFNdGXA&feature=related

t_niehoff
08-19-2010, 08:13 AM
My God! With an army of such men I could rule the world! <insert evil laugh>

Yoshiyahu
08-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Could you defeat him Niehoff?

t_niehoff
08-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Could you defeat him Niehoff?

ROFLOL! I'd put my money on my 12 year-old niece defeating him.

MysteriousPower
08-19-2010, 08:45 AM
It baffles me how people are tricked into thinking that this is skill.

t_niehoff
08-19-2010, 08:48 AM
It baffles me how people are tricked into thinking that this is skill.

Because it takes realistic personal experience to KNOW better.

MysteriousPower
08-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Because it takes realistic personal experience to KNOW better.

Could it not be argued that every person in that bs video is gaining personal experience which is making them believe? Just saying.

To be honest I think it would be rude and ridiculous for any of the students in that video to punch that teacher in the face during his demonstration. The problem is that this guy probably believes that he has achieved some level of skill. In what exactly I am not sure.

t_niehoff
08-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Could it not be argued that every person in that bs video is gaining personal experience which is making them believe? Just saying.

To be honest I think it would be rude and ridiculous for any of the students in that video to punch that teacher in the face during his demonstration. The problem is that this guy probably believes that he has achieved some level of skill. In what exactly I am not sure.

No, what I mean is *significant* experience in what fighting is really like and what people can really do in fighting. These are people with little to no actual fighting experience. For example, people without significant grappling experience can be sold a lot of nonsense about anti-grappling, foul tactics, etc. You can't "trick" an experienced grappler with that nonsense. Most often inexperienced people see stuff like this (or what is being taught to them) and try to extrapolate it into what they imagine is fighting.

The other aspect is that most people don't have developed critical thinking skills.

SAAMAG
08-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Not to proliferate the negativity here...but nothing of what he did indicates he can fight worth a ****.

This is exactly the kind of crap that gives gung fu a bad name amongst non- chinese stylists.

HumbleWCGuy
08-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Every time that I try to make the case that TCMA has progressed beyond this junk, someone posts one of these. :mad:

m1k3
08-19-2010, 01:31 PM
I just look at it this way. The more people who develop those types of "skills" the more I can feel like a bada$$. :D

To the OP, the answer to your original question is 0 (zero, null, zilch).

t_niehoff
08-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Every time that I try to make the case that TCMA has progressed beyond this junk, someone posts one of these. :mad:

The problem is that TCMAs CAN'T progress by staying "traditional". Tradition is contrary to progress. You can't keep doing X and expect different results. The traditional mindset and traditional (unrealistic) training go hand-in-hand.

HumbleWCGuy
08-20-2010, 07:53 AM
I suppose that I am not really traditional. I tend to refer to my art as non-classical because we are somewhere in between. My instructor would not like the term non-classical but traditional has become such a dirty word that, it is better not to saddle yourself with that label if you kind of aren't. We do lots of good hard-nosed training. However, we are commuted to preserving a library of techniques some of which might be quite unorthodox.

Dragonzbane76
08-20-2010, 08:05 AM
The problem is that TCMAs CAN'T progress by staying "traditional". Tradition is contrary to progress. You can't keep doing X and expect different results. The traditional mindset and traditional (unrealistic) training go hand-in-hand.

agree... if it does not evolve then it dies out.

Dragonzbane76
08-20-2010, 08:22 AM
I love people showing stuff on compliant people, shows everyone else ZERO about fighting skill. :rolleyes:

Lee Chiang Po
08-20-2010, 11:24 AM
The question here is, Can you whip him? Seriously, this guy has some pretty good moves. He is demonstrating and teaching, not fighting here. You can not really learn by watching a full out fight. You guys don't make a lot of sense sometimes. You speak as if he should be fighting some champion fighter or some such. If you went to the local mall and watched everyone go in and out, you would see people that could whip your a$$ now and then, and chances are, they do not have any formal training. Boxing seems to be the most natural form of defense anyone tries to do. It has been my experience that most street toughs have no real formal training in a martial art. They might have a few good moves that have made them locally famous, but that is going to be about it. A martial skill is designed to give you some advantage or at least a fighting chance against a larger and stronger opponent. It is no garantee of being a fighting machine.
You all talk like you are the ultimate expert on just about any and everything mentioned on this forum.

m1k3
08-20-2010, 12:36 PM
The question here is, Can you whip him? Seriously, this guy has some pretty good moves. He is demonstrating and teaching, not fighting here. You can not really learn by watching a full out fight. You guys don't make a lot of sense sometimes. You speak as if he should be fighting some champion fighter or some such. If you went to the local mall and watched everyone go in and out, you would see people that could whip your a$$ now and then, and chances are, they do not have any formal training. Boxing seems to be the most natural form of defense anyone tries to do. It has been my experience that most street toughs have no real formal training in a martial art. They might have a few good moves that have made them locally famous, but that is going to be about it. A martial skill is designed to give you some advantage or at least a fighting chance against a larger and stronger opponent. It is no garantee of being a fighting machine.
You all talk like you are the ultimate expert on just about any and everything mentioned on this forum.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your valuable input. Your post about [How many wing chun or mma men would get killed by this man?] was both on target and insightful. Please continue to post on the [WING CHUN] forum as your opinion is important to us.

The staff.

Dragonzbane76
08-20-2010, 02:32 PM
what is up with people not understanding that having someone stand in front of you and feed you a tech. over and over so you can look like the master of china is not fighting. Hell professional ice skaters have great form... does that mean they can fight too? Having good form is a part of fighting but that's only it a part, the rest of the puzzle is needed to see the picture. Hitting the air, and having some "student" feed you crap does not make you a fighter... period.

The greatest tech. in the world if not demonstrated on a resistant opponent doesn't mean sh!t.

t_niehoff
08-21-2010, 04:43 AM
what is up with people not understanding that having someone stand in front of you and feed you a tech. over and over so you can look like the master of china is not fighting.

It means they don't have any experience actually fighting/sparring. Once anyone does, they come to appreciate very quickly your point.

The greatest tech. in the world if not demonstrated on a resistant opponent doesn't mean sh!t.

Skills, techniques, etc. have to be demonstrated that way to teach. And they need to be practiced unrealistically until you can comfortably perform it. But beyond that, you are absolutely correct.

overall
08-23-2010, 03:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jb3lFNdGXA&feature=related

Suppose there are some weak and young mma people. Suppose it for wing chun to. I am answering: No one! Mainly because this guy is not murderer, I hope.

LadySnow
08-24-2010, 03:12 AM
OMG this video was a joke right? does anyone know what the people were saying in the vid?