PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needing info on Wing Chun clubs in Toronto

Jubei1
08-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Im very interested in taking Wing Chun and have started doing some research as to where I can take it in my area (Toronto). A quick search on the internet shows a few schools but how do I know which teacher is good? I’m not trying to start a “flame” war, I think that is what its called, but I am merely asking out of ignorance. I am trying to make an educated decision and would appreciate some help with such a difficult choice.

Would anyone know anything about :

Danforth Wing Chun Kung Fu
Toronto Wing Chun Kun Fu Academy
Sunny Tang Wing Chun Kung Fu
Wing Tsun Toronto

How do you guys find a good school?

Thanks

Jubei

CFT
08-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Coincidentally I've been looking for one in Toronto for someone on another forum. One to add to your list

Marvon Wilkinson
Wing Chun Jing Jung Association
Gerrard Street, (Gerrard & Bayview) Toronto, Canada
1-647-618-4399
Email: info@wcjja.com
http://www.wcjja.com/

His lineage is Wong Shun Leung ->Nino Bernardo/Ng Chun Hong, which is always worth a look (IMO).

sanjuro_ronin
08-20-2010, 08:35 AM
What are you looking for?

Jubei1
08-20-2010, 08:45 AM
Hello Sanjuro,

I am looking for a good teacher. Since doing my research into the art I have just been introduced to the politics of Wing Chun. So asking which school is good to learn from has the potential of sparking a lengthy “discussion” of whos kung fu is the best.
I am not interested in arguing. I simply want an objective opinion on what they teach, how they teach and whatever info you guys think might help me make a good and informed decision.

Jubei

sanjuro_ronin
08-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Hello Sanjuro,

I am looking for a good teacher. Since doing my research into the art I have just been introduced to the politics of Wing Chun. So asking which school is good to learn from has the potential of sparking a lengthy “discussion” of whos kung fu is the best.
I am not interested in arguing. I simply want an objective opinion on what they teach, how they teach and whatever info you guys think might help me make a good and informed decision.

Jubei

That's great and all that, but what are YOU looking for?
Do you want to fight? do you want to compete? just exercise? just do "kung fu" ?

Jubei1
08-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Thank you for the info CFT. Ill check him out.

Very much appreciated.

How did you find out about this club? have you trained with Marvon Wilkinson?

Jubei

Jubei1
08-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Hello Sanjuro,

What interests me in Wing Chun is its fighting application. I have read up on the concepts and principles and find them very efficient. This scientific approach to fighting interests me.

sanjuro_ronin
08-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Hello Sanjuro,

What interests me in Wing Chun is its fighting application. I have read up on the concepts and principles and find them very efficient. This scientific approach to fighting interests me.

I suggest you find one that fights, a lot and tests their system VS other styles.
It will be easy to see this by taking a couple of classes or even watching some.
Make your choice after that.
I hear good things about Ryan Kennedy's school, but I have never had the chance to visit.

Jubei1
08-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the tip. I agree with your statement. For that reason I’m looking into the Wong Sheung Leung lineage (thanks CFT). I have also read a lot of good things about the Moy Yat lineage. To my understanding he wasn’t much of a fighter but is very technical. What are your thoughts? I’m not that knowledgable about the differences in technique within different lineages, but it does interests me.
I agree with the saying “ the devil is in the details” so little changes in how something is performed will change the outcome.

Jubei

sanjuro_ronin
08-20-2010, 10:37 AM
I did Moy Yat under Nelson Chan and Sunny Tang, Sunny was more "sparring oriented" but it really is more about the school than the style.
WSL was a fighter, not all of his students were or even the students of the students, know what I mean?

Jubei1
08-20-2010, 10:49 AM
I understand what you’re saying, not everyone has that temperament.
I really appreciate you taking time to respond. If you don’t mind me asking? Are you training now?

Jubei

sanjuro_ronin
08-20-2010, 11:22 AM
I understand what you’re saying, not everyone has that temperament.
I really appreciate you taking time to respond. If you don’t mind me asking? Are you training now?

Jubei

I am doing my own thing, which means Yes I am training and not not at a "kung fu" school.
WC was not a perfect fit for me, but I got what I needed from it.

Jubei1
08-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Thanks again Sanjuro. good luck with your training.

LSWCTN1
08-23-2010, 02:58 AM
Coincidentally I've been looking for one in Toronto for someone on another forum. One to add to your list

Marvon Wilkinson
Wing Chun Jing Jung Association
Gerrard Street, (Gerrard & Bayview) Toronto, Canada
1-647-618-4399
Email: info@wcjja.com
http://www.wcjja.com/

His lineage is Wong Shun Leung ->Nino Bernardo/Ng Chun Hong, which is always worth a look (IMO).

He also studied under Michael Louison, who has the same lineage

kungfufighter has met him i believe