PDA

View Full Version : What's your funniest training accident????

MiamiMantis
09-25-2001, 10:50 PM
I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but now in retospect it is.

Mine was I was learning a Broadsword form and there was a section where you have to do a right jumping snap kick and slice down at an angle from right to left at the same time. Needless to say I ended up whacking my self right on the top of my right foot. Lucky it was a cheap aluminum broadsword and not spring steel as I was slicing real fast. Left a nasty black and blue line on the top of my foot for 2 weeks!. Boy that really hurt!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

LizMantis
09-26-2001, 03:21 AM
I did the same thing. doing that exact same movement in a form.. It hurt so bad and for the longest time I would try to sort of skip that move. In order to not hit my foot. But I just had to get over it.. What form were you doing?

www.kungfuexchange.com (http://www.kungfuexchange.com)

NorthernMantis
09-26-2001, 03:40 AM
Last Saturday I was working out with MiamiMantis and I was slicing hard with my broadsword when it smashed right into my elbow.As I switched the blade making it face opposite of my body after the slice,the momemtum of the blade kept moving foward until it made conact with my elbow.I was bleeding a bit.Didn't notice it till later.I still have a scab there.

Another really funny one is when I was training at wah lum in Orlando one of my si hings was holding a staff and we had to jump over it into a roll.Each time after everyone went a turn the staff got higher and higher.I was getting really confident since the staff was getting some altitude.When it was really high I jumped over it and landed straight on my head into the ground (and I mean paralell!! :eek: ).All you heard was this loud crack come from my neck and I stood on my head for about a full second and a half untill my body fell foward,landing flat on my butt.Suprisingly the only thing tht hurt me was landing on my head and my neck was ok.I got up with nothing more that a bruised inflated ego and a small bump on the noggin.Thank God nothing bad happened but my si hing didn't want us to do that exercise for a while. :D

Anyone else would care to share?

"Always be ready"

"right, that's it!you've insulted me, and you've insulted the shaolin temple!"-Fish of Furry

SolarStance
09-26-2001, 06:42 AM
I did the same thing in the contineuos broadsword form...

I have too many embarassing...er... funny stories to list, but hte one fresh in my mind is when I was leading warmups. I was in front of the class doing an iron bridge and didn't notice the rip in my pants in a very conspicious area. My red undies didn't help matters either.

)))Solar Stance((( :o

EARTH DRAGON
09-26-2001, 07:18 PM
when I was younger I mimicked a pully stretching rope that attaches to the garage ceiling the you put your foot in a loop and pull the other end down and raise your leg up to give you a nice side stratch........ well I pulled so hard that I lost my footing with my leg on the ground and slipped forward almost hanging my self upside down and just missed cracking my head on the garage floor!
the next day my mother bought me my first stretching machine!!!!!!!!

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

MiamiMantis
09-27-2001, 01:17 AM
actually I was learning continueous broadsword from Wah Lum. Seems like whacking yourself on the foot is a standard technique when learning this form. The funny thing was my Sifu said "be careful about the jump kick, everybody always hits their foot" of course I said to my self "yeah everybody but me.."
2 seconds later....whack!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

straight blast
10-01-2001, 02:31 AM
This actually happened to a guy when I was training Muay Thai. We had a row of four kick bags, and he was at the bag next to me. We're all working our roundkicks when he gives a mighty "KIAI!!!" and slams the bag as hard as he can. We trained in an old derelict factory, and it's not very safe. About a second and a half later a section of the roof about four foot long by four and a half wide (& about 3 inches thick) crashes point first into the ground RIGHT next to him and showers him with plaster dust & bit of wood.
The end result? As this poor fella stands there white faced & contemplating his mortality our instructor runs across the floor & starts putting the count on the piece of roof. After he reached ten he picked the other guy up and paraded him around the room like a champion. That's one of the funnies, but there are a lot more! :D

"Through strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail"

LizMantis
10-01-2001, 05:06 AM
Thats the same form I was doing.

NorthernMantis
10-02-2001, 04:51 AM
lol Straight Blast what other ones do you have.

Liz I think we all have that in common the same form I hit my self there too. :eek:

"Always be ready"

"right, that's it!you've insulted me, and you've insulted the shaolin temple!"-Fish of Furry

Robinf
10-02-2001, 04:37 PM
Learning the three section staff, we practiced the "helicopter" move early on--before we learned any of the form. This is where you spin it over your head, then, doing a side to side, spin it over your back and back over your head.

Six of us took this form. I was the first one to bonk myself in my head. At one point, one of the rings got caught on my long hair. Needless to say, a short way into the session, you saw six students, all with at least 6 years in the martial arts, practicing in the parking lot with their head gear from sparring. I'm sorry we don't have a picture of six dedicated students all with red helmets on spinning a three section staff above their heads, but maybe your mental picture will be better.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

LizMantis
10-02-2001, 05:55 PM
I just got a chain whip the other day before i started the form wanted to work with it just a little bit. Now I have a busted lip haha. The part were it wraps around your neck and then you un do it. Well i was getting sort of good at it and then I saw the very end fly at my head/ it was down hill that day, from there on out. (but now its all better) :)

Stumblefist
10-02-2001, 06:48 PM
One of my friends doing the rope dart at a public demo....He tied up his legs, tripped fell over, someone had to rush up and help unravel him. :rolleyes:
Hitting my knee with the broadsword wasn't funny. Nor were some broken bones from other stuff.
Smashing every available light in several apartments with various weapons...that was funny. :rolleyes:
So was when junior brother spun his spear near the newcomer, and the newcomer stared down at a 18" vertical rip in the most sensitive part of his dragon pants. Fortunately he still had everything intact. :D :D

"A wish to go to Heaven is the very beginning of falling into Hell."

tiger lui
10-20-2001, 10:29 AM
we were taping iron shirt trainig,a student was in a ma bo stance head protruding foreward,the sifu steps up and wacks him on the forehead,his eyes roll back and he collapses in a heap,before we can rush to his aid he springs up back into his ma bo ready for another one :eek:

Stumblefist
10-20-2001, 04:28 PM
There's a lot that are not so funny.

Read "how to kill a white Belt" history of accidents in Aikido and advice for safe practice. Written by a Assie with an outstanding rep who spent years in Japan, and of course i can't remember his name. (Can't find it an Amazon, i'll get back to that.)
I've had broken foot, broken wrist and i saw a guy get broken collarbone in an aikido flip.

"It hurts to set you free
But you'll never follow me"

LizMantis
10-20-2001, 08:36 PM
ouch!

Stumblefist
10-21-2001, 01:25 PM
I posted the aikdio article on the main forum
"How to kill a white belt".
The author is David Lynch from New Zealand.

"It hurts to set you free
But you'll never follow me"

straight blast
10-26-2001, 03:23 PM
I had a friend who was into some kind of weird Martial Art...never did find out what it was. He was standing around one day talking about how weak Muay Thai kicks are & I said "Well, show me!" He proceeded to jump into some weird ass stance (in front of many people) and threw a great whooshing roundkick at about head height.
His shorts however resisted this motion and yanked his other leg off the ground. His body performed a perfect circular flip that any Capoeira mestre would be jealous of and then he proceeded to land face first in the tuft of mud (we were on grass at a footy field) that his foot leaving the ground had created. To top this off when he finally woozily climbed back to his feet his shorts were ripped open (right up the a** & crotch) and he wasn't wearing anything under them. Needless to say, he wasn't giving any more demo's that day!

Too tired for more. Will post intermittently.

"Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"

Jeff Liboiron
11-03-2001, 03:31 AM
The other day i was using my foam handled chucks, well i was spinning them pretty fast, and the foam is kinda loose on the handles. Needless to say, i swung them, and the next thing i knew, i was holding the foam part of the handle, and i have noooooo idea where the rest of my chucks went :)

The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you

ansgenius1
11-03-2001, 07:03 PM
During staff spins, I got overconfident and started going faster and faster. I looked over to see what my brother was doing, and I hit myself right in the family jewels. Needless to say, I was in pain for the rest of the class. Also, I've hit myself in the leg with the chain whip. I don't like doing the toe tap (where you wrap it around your foot and send it back up) cause I can just see it flying back into my face. That actually happened to someone in my school.

NorthernMantis
11-04-2001, 06:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straight Blast:
I had a friend who was into some kind of weird Martial Art...never did find out what it was. He was standing around one day talking about how weak Muay Thai kicks are & I said "Well, show me!" He proceeded to jump into some weird ass stance (in front of many people) and threw a great whooshing roundkick at about head height.
His shorts however resisted this motion and yanked his other leg off the ground. His body performed a perfect circular flip that any Capoeira mestre would be jealous of and then he proceeded to land face first in the tuft of mud (we were on grass at a footy field) that his foot leaving the ground had created. To top this off when he finally woozily climbed back to his feet his shorts were ripped open (right up the a** & crotch) and he wasn't wearing anything under them. Needless to say, he wasn't giving any more demo's that day!

Too tired for more. Will post intermittently.

"Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"[/quote]

That's hilarious!!

"Always be ready"