PDA

View Full Version : Three Sectional Staff and Bruce Lee

TopCrusader
08-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Hello! I am new here but have been enjoying the discussions for some time.

Everybody associates Bruce Lee with the nunchaku but this isn't the only "flexible" weapon Bruce Lee trained with. Especially in the Seattle period, the three sectional staff seemed to have peaked Bruce Lee's interest.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-lttux-YpghMAjIy9ZBQgQFA3r9G9ooLqW8rRXyXtNuWF-no&t=1&usg=__XR_YeGEpWNnRwgBgVZpJ5yXj5RA=

http://i39.tinypic.com/330ye52.jpg

There are more pictures than these but couldn't find them right now on the internet as a link, so i will attach them to this message.

My question is does anybody know where Bruce Lee learned to use the three sectional staff? The weapon obviously does not exist in Wing Chun or the other southern arts he would have been exposed too. This question also applies to his usage of the spear which there are some Seattle era pics of him with the spear (much like the above ones)

An interview with Patrick Strong who was a original Bruce Lee student, he also recalls in a interview "He would often demonstrate a three-section staff form and, of course, part of the Mook Jung (wooden dummy) form."

Any information and discussion about Bruce Lee's connection to these traditionally Northern style weapons as far as what style/what Sifu, etc would be appreciated!!!!:)

TC

taai gihk yahn
08-22-2010, 10:26 AM
the three-sectional staff as well as all Chinese weapons, forms and styles of kung Fu were invented by Bruce Lee;

of course, Bruce Lee was invented by Chuck Norris.

SoCo KungFu
08-22-2010, 10:42 AM
the three-sectional staff as well as all Chinese weapons, forms and styles of kung Fu were invented by Bruce Lee;

Little known fact. Proper human birthing procedures (head first) have nothing to do with actual anatomical necessity. But actually is a result of Chuck Norris presenting beard first. The original term was not crowning, but bearding. However, it was changed in medical text shortly thereafter on account that no mere mortal will ever be born with such magnificent beardedness. In a related topic, Chuck's birth caused widespread controversy throughout China. To this day there are still those who believe him to be the reincarnated Guan Yu.

TenTigers
08-22-2010, 07:05 PM
There was a Northern teacher i HK that taught Bruce Lee some stuff in exchange for Cha-Cha lessons.
Bruce Lee also used them in an episode of "The Green Hornet."
(the cool one where he fights Mako in a "traditional Gung-Fu duel" to see who rules the Tong)

tungmojingjung
08-22-2010, 09:50 PM
I believe that was Sifu Shiu Hon Sang of Hong Kong Jing Mo

David Jamieson
08-24-2010, 09:59 AM

Bruce Lee was formed after chuck norris masturbated into some raw liver.
It has astounded science as to why he even died!

The sperm+beef liver combo manifest into Bruce Lee should've had a shelf life at least as long as the third reich!

taai gihk yahn
08-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Bruce Lee was formed after chuck norris masturbated into some raw liver.
It has astounded science as to why he even died!

The sperm+beef liver combo manifest into Bruce Lee should've had a shelf life at least as long as the third reich!

my guess is that during their on camera appearance, Bruce Lee's neuroendochrinological system was so shocked by his direct exposure to Chuck Norris, that it counteracted the preservative nature of the sperm/liver amalgam, but only to create an unresolvable internal conflict of Chuck versus Chuck

what pushed Lee over the edge into death, was that the universe could only contain even the fiction of Chuck being defeated for just so long before it back-lashed onto Bruce...

David Jamieson
08-24-2010, 01:48 PM
my guess is that during their on camera appearance, Bruce Lee's neuroendochrinological system was so shocked by his direct exposure to Chuck Norris, that it counteracted the preservative nature of the sperm/liver amalgam, but only to create an unresolvable internal conflict of Chuck versus Chuck

what pushed Lee over the edge into death, was that the universe could only contain even the fiction of Chuck being defeated for just so long before it back-lashed onto Bruce...

yeah, bruce was a real wanker for his reasons around why he wanted Chuck in the fight scene for Return of the Dragon.

at least, the way chuck tells it, as diplomatic as he is it still makes bruce seem petty.

GeneChing
08-24-2010, 01:50 PM
3-Section Black Hardwood Staff (http://www.martialartsmart.com/25-31.html) - I'm sure Bruce would have gotten his 3-sectional staffs here. :cool:

David Jamieson
08-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Oh and ~G comes out with a product plug and a face save for a dead man!

outstanding! :p

taai gihk yahn
08-25-2010, 07:44 AM
"empty your mind, be formless. shapeless, like water.
if you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.
you put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle.
you put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. now,
water can flow or it can crash.
be water my friend." Bruce Lee ~

such beauty in the wisdom of his words. wise words to learn, understand and continually apply.

Τα Πάντα ῥεῖ

ekaterina*
www.abctales.com/user/tretchicovmanicova

pop chop-sockey redux philosophy; Bruce was able to sound so profound because knowledge of source texts such as Yi Jing and Dao De Jing were not well known among the general TV viewing population; he certainly doesn't seem to acknowledge that the basis for his "profound" insight is not from his own musings, but rather re-packaging of what had been said long before him

if you watch the actual interview where he said this, Bruce looks mighty pleased w/himself as the deliverer of such "wisdom" - he is in fact acting just the opposite of what he is espousing: the "point" of "being like water", refers to how one should avoid entrapment by one's own ego-structure - it's not some mythical concept, but rather a down-to-earth, pragmatic guide to avoiding the pitfalls of ego-based constructs like arrogance; Bruce "plays" the wise Asian master in this interview, stoking the words for dramatic effect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1UgOxBytc&feature=related

incidentally, in the way he managed his own life, Bruce sure didn't seem to take his own advice...

so it's a nice little ditty, but the "truth" of it is otherwise...

bawang
08-25-2010, 08:01 AM
if bruce lee is so cool how come he doesnt have magnificent beard like guan gong?

Syn7
08-25-2010, 11:23 AM
everyone knows bruce lee invented fighting... he invented the 3 section staff right after he invented nunchaku... also, im pretty sure he invented china... i have video to prove it and testamonials from former students that were surgically removed from lee's scrotum after his death... and we cant forget that lee invented kung fu movies right after he invented those moving picture thangs... also, its just a rumour, i cant prove it, but he also mastered yogic flying... i heard theres video but i havent seen it yet... im pretty sure he's the reincarnation of jesus!!!

David Jamieson
08-25-2010, 11:38 AM
pop chop-sockey redux philosophy; Bruce was able to sound so profound because knowledge of source texts such as Yi Jing and Dao De Jing were not well known among the general TV viewing population; he certainly doesn't seem to acknowledge that the basis for his "profound" insight is not from his own musings, but rather re-packaging of what had been said long before him

if you watch the actual interview where he said this, Bruce looks mighty pleased w/himself as the deliverer of such "wisdom" - he is in fact acting just the opposite of what he is espousing: the "point" of "being like water", refers to how one should avoid entrapment by one's own ego-structure - it's not some mythical concept, but rather a down-to-earth, pragmatic guide to avoiding the pitfalls of ego-based constructs like arrogance; Bruce "plays" the wise Asian master in this interview, stoking the words for dramatic effect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1UgOxBytc&feature=related

incidentally, in the way he managed his own life, Bruce sure didn't seem to take his own advice...

so it's a nice little ditty, but the "truth" of it is otherwise...

QFT +1

I am a little taken aback at times that so many people buy into the BS that was the image of Bruce Lee and who don't pay attention to cultivating their personal kung fu because of their infatuation.

That people still quote his basic plagiarized ideas as if he actually came up with it is absolutely amazing considering all that has been revealed in the 30+ years since his untimely demise (another evidence of lack of real kung fu and inability to pay attention to the advice he so loved to dole out like fortune cookies)

But then again, it's not that hard to understand. It's kind of like nationalism in a way. People love their country regardless of their understanding of it's machinations. Go figure.

Syn7
08-25-2010, 12:47 PM
personally, i believe he trained himself into a self righteous grave... i liked the movies when i was a kid... still do i guess... but then i liked the matrix too... we have a guy that gave out so much advice but didnt follow all of it and took some of it way too far... he lacked balance and moderation... its too bad, it would be interesting to see what he would have become had he no died... or even better, if he had changed... went a taoist route or something, balanced himself out a bit... he had alot of influence, its just too bad it wasnt used for the benefit of everyone... the legacy left behind, in some cases, is embarassing... his ego was off the charts... such charisma for such a poor actor too, i mean, he played the same character in every part... he tried to play the humble role but his actions screamed to the contrary... imho

i dont hate the guy, im just annoyed by the hero worship, the fantasies and the absolute disregard for the facts...

weakstudent
08-25-2010, 06:33 PM
wow sounds like a lot haters, but i guess its ok because he's dead. to bad

taai gihk yahn
08-25-2010, 06:52 PM
wow sounds like a lot haters, but i guess its ok because he's dead. to bad

wow sounds like a lot of head-up-aszery, but i guess its ok because you're an idiot. to bad

bawang
08-25-2010, 06:53 PM
wow sounds like a lot of head-up-aszery, but i guess its ok because you're an idiot. to bad

bruce lee didnt sell out kung fu. chinese people sold out kung fu

weakstudent
08-25-2010, 06:57 PM
so sorry internet warrior, please forgive me for being so stupid now that being said. maybe you can tell me what part of the world you are at so i can come to you bearing gifts to pay respect to you and your words of wisdom

David Jamieson
08-25-2010, 07:12 PM
so sorry internet warrior, please forgive me for being so stupid now that being said. maybe you can tell me what part of the world you are at so i can come to you bearing gifts to pay respect to you and your words of wisdom

oooh now that's some sweet internet warrior typage right there! :p

taai gihk yahn
08-25-2010, 07:14 PM
so sorry internet warrior, please forgive me for being so stupid
I forgive you; does that help?

now that being said. maybe you can tell me what part of the world you are at so i can come to you bearing gifts to pay respect to you and your words of wisdom

lol, look, things are kinda busy here right now with this whole Nam vs. Yang thingy, so we really don't have any extra time to devote to your gift-bearing and respect-paying;

however, when it dies down, then you can start things up again by challenging me to a kung-fu death match (but I warn you, you will have to sign a 47 page contract and when you show up I will film you saying hello, then edit out the rest and claim that I disintegrated you with my chi), because I have insulted the great Bruce Lee and by pointing out your lack of ability to discern objective analysis from "hating"; oh, and also for playing the "he's dead, leave him alone" card, because you think that has merit when assessing what someone says vs. what they actually embodied - look, I know it must be hard for you as you obviously idolize the man, but not everyone does; deal with it; and if you want to make a counter argument, at least do it based on objective criteria, not your personal emotional reactivity;

I mean, let me get this straight - me, anonymous poster #1, says a not nice thing to you, anonymous poster #2, and now you are so insulted and mortified you now want to meet up with and fight me, which you state by using thinly-veiled euphemisms in that regard? I mean, look, if I actually was face to face with you, I'd say the same thing; if you tried the "don't be a hater" argument, I'd tell you exactly the same thing I wrote; what would you do? punch me in the face? are you frustrated that you can't do that here, so you want me to tell you where I am so you can come and do it after the fact? good lord man, get a life;

David Jamieson
08-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Bruce Lee AND the Burlington Coat Factory Hate your freedom!!

taai gihk yahn
08-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Bruce Lee AND the Burlington Coat Factory Hate your freedom!!

Guan Gung rubbs his hoary ballz at you

(just seeing what it's like to be bawang for a bit)

weakstudent
08-25-2010, 07:29 PM
apology accepted thank you for not unleashing your chi power thru the internet at me
hahahaha no hard feelings kung fu brothers unite

bawang
08-25-2010, 07:30 PM
yes. we must use our powers for good not evil. wit great power cum grate responbilty

bruce lee can drink my pee and eat my poopoo

taai gihk yahn
08-25-2010, 07:32 PM
apology accepted thank you for not unleashing your chi power thru the internet at me
hahahaha no hard feelings kung fu brothers unite

yes. we must use our powers for good not evil. wit great power cum grate responbilty

I think I need to start spending a lot less time on-line...:(

bawang
08-25-2010, 07:32 PM
i surf internet in horse stance. im training

TopCrusader
08-25-2010, 07:58 PM
I appreciate the humor, although some of it is alittle.....weird....

And thanks to the people that actually took my question seriously. This is the problem with asking any question regarding Bruce Lee or JKD. It brings out the crazies :D

Syn7
08-25-2010, 08:58 PM
look, i dont hate bruce lee... i mean he was a bit of a m o u t h y d i c k but i can accept that as alot of my friends are m o u t h y p r i c k s but what i dont like is the hero worship and absolute falsehoods people base that hero worship on... its so annoying to have a normal MA convo and have his name come up from some mcdojo armchair ufc fighter spouting off about how he was the greatest fighter in the history of man and "invented ufc" ... and its those people that make me cringe even when normal people bring him up to the point where, and i'll be the first to admit this, i have a bit of a bias against those who even use him as an example in convos about fighting... he aint fought nobody... all we have is stories from nutthugger students who rode his commet tail right into obscurity where they belong... teaching jeet kune do to fat people in the middle of butt f u c k nowhere

There was a Northern teacher i HK that taught Bruce Lee some stuff in exchange for Cha-Cha lessons.
Bruce Lee also used them in an episode of "The Green Hornet."
(the cool one where he fights Mako in a "traditional Gung-Fu duel" to see who rules the Tong)

NICE!!!!!!!
The Green Hornet - The Preying Mantis - 1966 ( i looked it up, my memory aint that good)

3-Section Black Hardwood Staff (http://www.martialartsmart.com/25-31.html) - I'm sure Bruce would have gotten his 3-sectional staffs here. :cool:

what do you guys think about the ball bearings(sp)???personally, i like links, despite the obvious drawback... but ive broken too many ball bearing nunchacku and 3 sec staffs to not be able to trust them anymore... i wont even use one around people, lest i smoke some kid in the mouth from 25 feet away... atleast with the links i know it 'probably' wont break:D

best nunchaku i ever had are ones i made... custom size on the lathe, and nylon rope joining them(comming out the end, ofcourse, i hate it off center, no good)...

"empty your mind, be formless. shapeless, like water.
if you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.
you put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle.
you put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. now,
water can flow or it can crash.
be water my friend." Bruce Lee ~

yeah but it was hardly an original thought...

bawang
08-25-2010, 09:03 PM
bruce lee flowed like diarrhea after i eat too much cantonese food

YouKnowWho
08-25-2010, 09:50 PM
I heard Bruce Lee learned Kung Li Chuan before he came to US. he used one Kung Li Chuan move in the movie "Chinese Connection" by back fist on one guy's face and hit the other guy's groin at the same time.

Since we are talking about 3 sectional staff here, here is a nice 3 sectional staff form to share. I met him about 35 years ago in Dallas Karate tournament (the year that Bruce Lee died). I like his form very much. This guy could fight too. He had a nice side kick, side kick, turn around back kick combo. I don't know where he lives now. Does anybody know this person?

http://johnswang.com/3_section_staff.wmv

cerebus
08-25-2010, 10:00 PM
I heard Bruce Lee learned Kung Li Chuan before he came to US. he used one Kung Li Chuan move in the movie "Chinese Connection" by back fist on one guy's face and hit the other guy's groin at the same time.

Since we are talking about 3 sectional staff here, here is a nice 3 sectional staff form to share. I met him about 35 years ago in Dallas Karate tournament (the year that Bruce Lee died). I like his form very much. This guy could fight too. He had a nice side kick, side kick, turn around back kick combo. I don't know where he lives now. Do anybody know him?

http://johnswang.com/3_section_staff.wmv

Hmmmm... hard to tell. Eric Lee? Maybe Alex Kwok?

cerebus
08-25-2010, 10:03 PM
And Bawang, Bruce Lee would've kicked your azz without even trying. In fact, he probably would've done it by accident... :p

YouKnowWho
08-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Hmmmm... hard to tell. Eric Lee? Maybe Alex Kwok?

Now I remember. Alex Kwok is the name.

David Jamieson
08-26-2010, 05:47 AM
I appreciate the humor, although some of it is alittle.....weird....

And thanks to the people that actually took my question seriously. This is the problem with asking any question regarding Bruce Lee or JKD. It brings out the crazies :D

yeah, usually it's a crazy who asks about him as if he had full relevancy to the world of martial arts anymore.

then, you'll get a mix of crazies who worship him and cynics who think he was ok, but certainly not much more than a guy who desperately wanted fame and stardom moreso than a kung fu guy.

There are people who actually believe Bruce was some kind of wicked fighter. He wasn't and there is zip zero nada to indicate he was anything more than an action movies star.

As far as the philosophical stuff goes? He was a blatant plagiarist. period. lol suck it up because that's the truth.

Not all bad, but in the end how did it work out. You have thousands of people who ardently believe jkd is a style. :rolleyes: and they will argue til they are blue in the face about it even though Lee makes it very clear that it is a concept, not a style and that it applies to any style.

anyway, it's like being continually caught in a time warp with this guy.

Bruce Lee just ain't relevant. For me personally in context to Kung Fu inspiration and practice, he had nothing to do with anything. I guess that's probably why I am curious about why people worship the dude.

he did some demos and slapped out a teenager on the set of ETD. other than that he never fought with any intention except maybe a high school scrap or two. But is that what we hold up?

No wonder mma junkies think we're fools. ha!