PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any home remedy sore throat cures?

I Hate Ashida Kim
08-24-2010, 09:15 AM
I figured maybe someone on this forum might know some Chinese recipes or something. I don't think Ashida Kim's astral spies can help with this.

Please share if you have any.

David Jamieson
08-24-2010, 09:25 AM
gargle salty warm water.

1 teaspoon of salt into 8 ozs of warm water.
stir til dissolved, gargle and spit til it's gone.

after that, a teaspoon of honey, eat it.
take an aspirin or two after that.

I Hate Ashida Kim
08-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Does that actually work? That was one of the "cures" mentioned on this sore throat remedies (http://www.sore-throat-remedies.com/) site I found.

Is there a way to do it without tasting it? Salt water makes me gag :o

OMG, gargling cayenne pepper in water is mentioned on that site http://smiliesftw.com/x/puke.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

I think that actually makes salt water seem not so bad by comparison.

David Jamieson
08-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Does that actually work? That was one of the "cures" mentioned on this sore throat remedies (http://www.sore-throat-remedies.com/) site I found.

Is there a way to do it without tasting it? Salt water makes me gag :o

OMG, gargling cayenne pepper in water is mentioned on that site http://smiliesftw.com/x/puke.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

I think that actually makes salt water seem not so bad by comparison.

lol. salt water gargling without tasting it?

harden up a little will you? yeesh.

the honey to follow will help that taste you don't like, but mostly it is also an antibacterial agent.

GeneChing
08-24-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm moving this to the TCM forum. They might have some good advice up there for you.

Lucas
08-24-2010, 10:29 AM
lots and lots of whiskey!

David Jamieson
08-24-2010, 11:11 AM
I disagree with the use of alcohol in this. Unless the remedy is to get drunk and not notice what ails you. lol

whisky will not really aid except temporarily.

and you will get a little buzz. :D

GeneChing
08-24-2010, 02:37 PM
....and whiskey helps me get through those temporary periods.

A lot of OTC sore throat medications are alcohol based.

Back OT, @ I Hate Ashida Kim, have you checked out our Chinese cough drops thread here on the TCM forum (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34469)?

Xiao3 Meng4
08-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Don't forget the boiled coke and ginger remedy... (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=976865&postcount=35)

taai gihk yahn
08-24-2010, 06:09 PM
how about nightime cough? my 5 1/2 y/o has been waking up the last week in the middle of the night coughing, which persists a bit, then stops; also has had it in the AM after waking and occasionally during the day; seems to be post-nasal drip related, my wife (OB/GYN) auscultated the lungs and they are clear, but didn't check the ears; didn't go to pediatrician yet, if it persists into next week, I will (he's not feverish, complaining, etc.)

his hx. includes one case of URI as an infant rx. w/abx.; used to get otitis medea as infant, but was never symptomatic, only would be seen on visual inspection during routing checkups - didn't treat those w/abx.

possibly related, for the last year or so, he has gone through a few periods of frequent dry throat clearing t/o the day as well (usually lasts a few weeks then stops; doesn't appear to be seasonal...) - pediatrician seems to think it's a habitual thing, says it's common amongst kids; personally, I have hx. of Tourette's, so that's always in the back of my mind but I think it's more related to something constitutional...

only other thing is that he still wears diapers at nite (5 1/2 y/o), because he's a VERY deep sleeper, doesn't wake up at nite to go (otherwise bladder ctrl. is fine; again, pediatrician isn't concerned, they don't even treat it until 8 y/o)

been giving him typical ginger / lemon / honey brew as well as that TCM patent cough medicine w/the sea-coconut on the label...

anyway, open to suggestions...

GeneChing
08-25-2010, 10:02 AM
There are many TCM OTC loquat syrups available. It's sweet and tasty, unlike most cough syrups. Kids love it. My only warning is it's really thick, like maple syrup, so it tends to get rather messy. Give that a try, tgy.

Xiao3 Meng4
08-25-2010, 11:20 AM
how about nightime cough? my 5 1/2 y/o has been waking up the last week in the middle of the night coughing, which persists a bit, then stops; also has had it in the AM after waking and occasionally during the day; seems to be post-nasal drip related, my wife (OB/GYN) auscultated the lungs and they are clear

What currently palliates the condition? Anything besides time, such as fresh, cool or humid air?

Could you give some more details regarding the quality of cough: Is it a wheezing cough, a deep raspy cough, a short barking cough, a light feathery cough, a phlegmy sounding cough etc.? Is it loud or quiet? Any difficulty breathing? How long does the coughing last - is it an single cough every few minutes, a few coughs every few minutes, or a coughing fit every few hours, etc?

(he's not feverish, complaining, etc.)

his hx. includes one case of URI as an infant rx. w/abx.; used to get otitis medea as infant, but was never symptomatic, only would be seen on visual inspection during routing checkups - didn't treat those w/abx.

possibly related, for the last year or so, he has gone through a few periods of frequent dry throat clearing t/o the day as well (usually lasts a few weeks then stops; doesn't appear to be seasonal...) - pediatrician seems to think it's a habitual thing, says it's common amongst kids;

The Pediatrician is correct. Immune system development is not invisible or asymptomatic.

How sensitive is he (how good are his senses?) Is he facing any significant social, emotional or self-identifying situations at present? Has he changed environments recently? Is there any local bug going around?

personally, I have hx. of Tourette's, so that's always in the back of my mind but I think it's more related to something constitutional...

While there's always a constitutional connection, in this case I'm suspecting something more acquired.

I Hate Ashida Kim
08-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Whoa, this thread took off! Thanks!

tiaji1983
08-28-2010, 01:16 AM
For sore throats, I always use 1 or all of 4 things.

1, the honey from Chicken places, I ussually take 3 packets of honey. It helps temporarily soothe the sore throat... (compare the ingredients list to some of the leading cough syrups)

2, Boil and drink (either with water or Tequilla) HOT tea with Honey, and Lemon

3. Boil and drink (either with water or Tequilla) HOT tea with Honey, Cinnamon, garlic clove, licquorish, and lemon.

4. Tequilla.

I use the ingredients; Honey because its a natural remedy for sore throats, Cinnamon because its energy is warming, Lemon because its acidic and can kill some bactieria, and settle stomaches, Garlic cuz it is a natural immune system booster, Licqourish because it is good for the lungs. Tequilla because it just works... Sacrates said let your food be your medicine. ;)

As prevention, either eat a garlic clove a day, or do a neti douche once a week.

jdhowland
08-29-2010, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE=taai gihk yahn;...only other thing is that he still wears diapers at nite (5 1/2 y/o), because he's a VERY deep sleeper, doesn't wake up at nite to go (otherwise bladder ctrl. is fine; again, pediatrician isn't concerned, they don't even treat it until 8 y/o)...[/QUOTE]

Whoa, sounds familiar. You might consider a polysomnogram to check for sleep apnea. I was born with it. Spent the first eight weeks of my life in a premie respirator--could explain my robotic personallity--my surrogate mother was a plastic box that made me breathe. In some people the muscle tone in the throat is too lax during sleep to keep the airway open. I plummet like a stone into the abyss, then have to partially wake up every two minutes to breathe.

When you try to breathe through closed pipes the friction causes wear on the tissues and can irritate the throat.

My ten year old son also seems to sleep in that place that's two flights lower than hades so he has trouble waking, and he has frequent dry coughs. Don't know if sleep studies are recommended for children but I'll look into it.

I'm on the machine again, (sigh) just like when I was a one-pound-something tyke. I do the Darth Vader thing every night. Ohh..brrrr......ohh..brrrr.

Lee Chiang Po
08-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Vodka. All you can drink in 24 hours. It will cure anything.

scottdurand
09-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Chuan xin lian has been fantastic for my throat issues. I highly encourage you to try it.

http://www.asiachi.com/chuanxinlian.html

Lee Chiang Po
09-06-2010, 05:58 PM
If you have a nagging sore throat that does not seem to want to leave you, I think it might be to your best interest to see a throat doctor. I can name you 4 people that had sore throats that responded to drugs but kept coming back, and one just ended a long run of radiation and chemo treatments. And age does usually have some to do with it, but not in all cases. This probably does not apply to you, but then again.

I Hate Ashida Kim
09-14-2010, 12:48 PM
I was reading a website and it was talking about "heat" colds vs. "cold" colds in TCM.

What is the difference?

It said " heat" cold is the kind where you wake up with a sore throat one day. It said don't use garlic for that because garlic has heat properties.

I thought garlic was good for everything.

Can someone explain?

Thanks.

Xiao3 Meng4
09-17-2010, 11:50 AM
I was reading a website and it was talking about "heat" colds vs. "cold" colds in TCM.

What is the difference?

It said " heat" cold is the kind where you wake up with a sore throat one day. It said don't use garlic for that because garlic has heat properties.

I thought garlic was good for everything.

Can someone explain?

Thanks.

I can explain all too well today (sniff, cough)

I have a cold. My nose is runny, I'm coughing up clear phlegm from the lungs, my head feels like it's packed in cotton, and I have chills and fever.

This is "Wind Cold invading the lungs and skin" or "external invasion of wind cold."

It's a good day for me to eat lots of garlic! (I'm actually drinking ginger/garlic/licorice/green tea.)

If, however, I had a stuffy nose, sore throat, and dry cough or cough with coloured phlegm, this could be "Wind Heat invading the lungs."

In this case, I'd wanna grab cool minty oils, put a few drops into some hot water in a bowl, put a towel over my head, and inhale the fumes.

My preferred oil is teatree oil.

So when you have "cold" symptoms, grab some "hot" remedies; if you have "hot" symptoms, grab some "cold" remedies.