PDA

View Full Version : wow! HIV soon to be eradicated?

David Jamieson
08-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Way to go Loyola university!

http://aidsnews.blogspot.com/

full story from source:
http://www.loyolamedicine.org/News/News_Releases/news_release_detail.cfm?var_news_release_id=973441 241

This is a HUGE step forward!

Lucas
08-24-2010, 12:19 PM
that is freaking AWESOME!

SanHeChuan
08-24-2010, 12:53 PM
A Protein Killer Could Treat All Cancers, and Possibly All Illnesses (http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-07/rx-every-disease)

David Jamieson
08-24-2010, 01:01 PM
All I can say is "supercool... supercool".

Now if only they could eradicate stupid cop shows from prime time TV the world might be set right again! :D

Lucas
08-24-2010, 02:37 PM
meh, just eradicate prime time!!!!

X_plosion
08-25-2010, 03:39 AM
This is a truly welcome development. I hope it is as good as it sounds. Here's hoping for the best.

SoCo KungFu
08-25-2010, 08:28 AM
That's pretty cool, though I wouldn't say soon. Any potential developments are likely still decades away. They have yet to identify exactly which actual amino sequences are responsible in the Rhesus TRIM5a for the inhibition of HIV. They still have to figure that out, see how its been altered in the human version of TRIM5a, and then see if it can be replicated or modified in our version or a drug to have the same effect. And it must be tested to determine if its even safe for human bodies. Or if safe, will it be effective, can it properly interact with our body's immune functions to do its job? That's still a lot of work to be done.

Drake
08-25-2010, 09:03 AM
HIV has been infamous for mutating to defeat our efforts.

solo1
08-25-2010, 09:13 AM
wheres the cancer cure or heart disease? they kill infinetly more people then HIV.

David Jamieson
08-25-2010, 09:37 AM
wheres the cancer cure or heart disease? they kill infinetly more people then HIV.

heart disease is preventable in most cases. People have bad habits that kill them and then someone blames that on disease when in fact it is nurtured rot.

what our medical community has is tied hands when it comes to telling people, governments and corporations about how stupid they are.

It's mostly because as a society, we value things in dollars and not in actual true value.

this has corrupted us on so many levels that it will be a hard climb out of that collective mind trap.

SoCo KungFu
08-25-2010, 12:42 PM
heart disease is preventable in most cases. People have bad habits that kill them and then someone blames that on disease when in fact it is nurtured rot.

what our medical community has is tied hands when it comes to telling people, governments and corporations about how stupid they are.

It's mostly because as a society, we value things in dollars and not in actual true value.

this has corrupted us on so many levels that it will be a hard climb out of that collective mind trap.

I agree with this for the most part, except the bold really. Here's my thing. Everyone knows what we eat and how lazy we are is killing us. I mean short of chaining people to a treadmill, what more can the doctors do? This reminds me of a convo I had recently with a vegan when they were going into all the stuff on how the powers that be are keeping people tied to poisonous food. And to an extent that's slightly true, though with a population the size the world has, organic food just can't support that so short of killing off a third of the people on the planet there really isn't any alternative. But back to the point, why do people keep vilifying doctors when there isn't anything more they can do? People are dumb, lazy, stubborn and just don't give a ****. Can't put a gun to their head in the store and make them skip the ice cream. I had a patient come in once when I was working as a medical assistant, said he smoked 2 packs a day unfiltered for what was roughly 45 years. Surprise surprise he had lung cancer. Told him he either quit or dies. Can't get much more straight forward than that. He told me he's smoked everyday since he was 16 and wasn't going to quit for the world. Nothing more I could do at that point....

People know already. More education isn't going to change anything. People just simply don't care.