PDA

View Full Version : New Chunner

bigkel
08-25-2010, 08:09 AM
I'm new to the wing chun family and wanted to know How long did it take you to feel comfortable enough with the art to say you can defend yourself?

Eric_H
08-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Hello bigkel,

Welcome to wing chun. How fast you grow is dependent a lot of your own dedication, how good your training partners are and how qualified your instructor is. If all are pretty good then in 6 months you should be reasonably capable. You won't be a badass by any stretch of the imagination, but you should be able to survive an "average" 1 on 1 encounter ok.

Best of luck, let us know how your training goes.

HumbleWCGuy
08-25-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm new to the wing chun family and wanted to know How long did it take you to feel comfortable enough with the art to say you can defend yourself?

I thought that I really felt comfortable after about 2 years. At that point, I started to react to situations using martial arts.

At about the time that you start being allowed to spar full-contact, you should be able to defend yourself.

Dave McKinnon
08-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Run...

Stay off this website and train hard. Test it against other MA.
Did I mention don't get involved here!

LOL

Dave

RedJunkRebel
08-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Don't worry about how long it takes. True Wing Chun is about mastery. Not the simple ability to defend yourself. Mastery has no time limits. Enjoy the journey!

And I second what Dave said... get off of here and work hard! :)

bigkel
08-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks guys class was awesome tonight...I love my instructor (Sifu Francis Fong) and my fellow training partners. Its like one big family which makes it a lot easier to stay at it and train.....

k gledhill
08-25-2010, 07:14 PM
dont be afraid to try other vt methods, you learn from them all.

ntc
08-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Bigkel....

Please say hello to Francis Fong for me... this is Rene Ng from San Diego. I have not spoken to him for many years.

Good luck with your WC... Francis is a very good teacher.

couch
08-31-2010, 06:41 AM
I have a great teacher but my group is a bit unorganized. The sihings rarely train with us now, and they prefer to train with their direct sifu who is a kung fu brother of mine. We do not spar but just lots of lop sao and chi sao drills. Does anyone find this to be a bad sign or is it possible to successfully still learn wing chun this way? I've been training it for about 6-7 months now off and on.

If you're asking the question, you already know the answer...

sanjuro_ronin
08-31-2010, 07:18 AM

The question to your answer lies in your training, particularly your sparring.
When you feel comfortable facing with someone trying to take off your head and stomp a mud hole in your face, then your WC is where it needs to be.
Remember this, WC is a fighting art FIRST and anything else second, if you can't fight with it, what exactly are you doing then?