PDA

View Full Version : Peripheral vision

Hitman
08-26-2010, 07:13 AM
Dear all,

Is it possible for someone to tell me how do you develop peripheral vision in close quarter fighting?

Thank you very much

t_niehoff
08-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Dear all,

Is it possible for someone to tell me how do you develop peripheral vision in close quarter fighting?

Thank you very much

By doing lots and lots of close quarter fighting.

HumbleWCGuy
08-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Dear all,

Thank you very much
I agree with T. If you don't do a lot of close-quarter fighting nothing else matters.

However, I am not sure how close, close quarters is for you but part of it is picking the correct view. Training a spot to look at that gives you the best view.

I have heard of people doing eye strengthening exercises. You can practice tracking a lazer pointer back and forth in a room.

I saw this on E. How. although, I can't make any claim about its effectiveness.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2208963_improve-peripheral-vision.html

Lucas
08-26-2010, 11:29 AM
this is interesting: never tried it myself though....

For any of you out there who are doing speed reading or trying to learn it may already know of this. For whose who are trying and having a bit of difficulty, or even people who have bad vision, this is a way to greatly improve your peripheral vision (looking out the corner of your eye) that will cost you nothing but a few minutes every day. IThis skill will help you with things like reading, driving, sports activities, even just looking out your window will feel so different because of the range of your vision. The first time I did this seriously, I was amazed at how much of a difference there was, I honestly didn't know how bad my peripheral vision was. To do this, all you need is a piece of paper, 8 x 11 works best.

Fold it once down the center making it long and skinny, then fold that in half to bring it to a more square shape. What you should have when you unfold it is a fold through the center vertically and horizontally.

Step one: Hold the fully folded piece of paper vertically about 1 meter away from you, that should be about arms length. Then, moving your eyes as fast as you can, look from the top center of the page to the bottom center of the page while focusing on the left and right sides of the page. Do this for about 30 seconds.

Step 2: Unfold the page so that it is long ans skinny. Hold the page again vertically about a meter in front of you. Do the same as last time. This gets your eye muscles stronger with the longer distance from tp to bottom. Again, try and focus on the left and right sides of the page. Do this for 30 seconds

Step 3: Unfold the page completely and repeat.

Step 4: Turn the page horizontally, but leave it unfolded and do the same. This sounds like the hardest one, but by now your eyes will have already started to get better and it wont be that bad.

Step 5: Turn the page back vertically and continue.

Step 6: Fold the page once to the long skinny piece, hold it vertically and continue.

Step 7: Fold the page one last time and repeat step one.

Thats all you need to do. You should notice a difference right after doing this, however it will only be temporary. The longer you continue to do this, the better your vision will get and the longer the 'effect' will stay. I recommend doing this twice a day.

And yes, it will hurt your eyes at the beginning. If you start to feel dizzy while doing this, stop

RedJunkRebel
08-26-2010, 01:54 PM
During training, place your gaze at the point between the eyes. This places the opponent's eye's as well as the edges of his body within your peripheral vision. The peripheral vision can detect indicators of his intentions much quicker than your center of gaze can. Also by focusing the vision on one point, the sensitivity of all of your senses become enhanced. The heightened awareness allows you to relax.

I recommend training Siu Nim Tau slowly daily with this effort in mind.

Hebrew Hammer
08-26-2010, 02:17 PM
this is interesting: never tried it myself though....

For any of you out there who are doing speed reading or trying to learn it may already know of this. For whose who are trying and having a bit of difficulty, or even people who have bad vision, this is a way to greatly improve your peripheral vision (looking out the corner of your eye) that will cost you nothing but a few minutes every day. IThis skill will help you with things like reading, driving, sports activities, even just looking out your window will feel so different because of the range of your vision. The first time I did this seriously, I was amazed at how much of a difference there was, I honestly didn't know how bad my peripheral vision was. To do this, all you need is a piece of paper, 8 x 11 works best.

Fold it once down the center making it long and skinny, then fold that in half to bring it to a more square shape. What you should have when you unfold it is a fold through the center vertically and horizontally.

Step one: Hold the fully folded piece of paper vertically about 1 meter away from you, that should be about arms length. Then, moving your eyes as fast as you can, look from the top center of the page to the bottom center of the page while focusing on the left and right sides of the page. Do this for about 30 seconds.

Step 2: Unfold the page so that it is long ans skinny. Hold the page again vertically about a meter in front of you. Do the same as last time. This gets your eye muscles stronger with the longer distance from tp to bottom. Again, try and focus on the left and right sides of the page. Do this for 30 seconds

Step 3: Unfold the page completely and repeat.

Step 4: Turn the page horizontally, but leave it unfolded and do the same. This sounds like the hardest one, but by now your eyes will have already started to get better and it wont be that bad.

Step 5: Turn the page back vertically and continue.

Step 6: Fold the page once to the long skinny piece, hold it vertically and continue.

Step 7: Fold the page one last time and repeat step one.

Thats all you need to do. You should notice a difference right after doing this, however it will only be temporary. The longer you continue to do this, the better your vision will get and the longer the 'effect' will stay. I recommend doing this twice a day.

And yes, it will hurt your eyes at the beginning. If you start to feel dizzy while doing this, stop

You stole my thunder...but I will add have to of your closest friends stand to either side of you, just out of vision and have them slap you about the head and shoulders repeatedly until you can see the blows coming...rinse and then repeat. If you have no friends, I recommend a mother or a bitter sibling for maximum effect.

Wayfaring
08-26-2010, 02:34 PM
So now on this forum we are recommending being randomly b1tch slapped by people at 180 degrees apart to increase peripheral vision in fighting?

I think I hear baby Jesus crying.

Hebrew Hammer
08-27-2010, 12:08 AM
So now on this forum we are recommending being randomly b1tch slapped by people at 180 degrees apart to increase peripheral vision in fighting?

Pretty much...and as far a Jesus is concerned, poor peripheral vision is what got him caught.

Wayfaring
08-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Pretty much...and as far a Jesus is concerned, poor peripheral vision is what got him caught.

If someone could get that on video with one guy in between 2 people at 180 degrees either side slapping each other silly along with some running line of BS about increasing peripheral vision that would be the "best wing chun instructional video eva." Even better than the 3 Stooges.

t_niehoff
08-27-2010, 09:10 AM

I'll be more than happy to participate in anyone's training, btw. ;)

k gledhill
08-27-2010, 06:48 PM
If someone could get that on video with one guy in between 2 people at 180 degrees either side slapping each other silly along with some running line of BS about increasing peripheral vision that would be the "best wing chun instructional video eva." Even better than the 3 Stooges.

rotflmao :D

Lee Chiang Po
08-28-2010, 06:22 PM
If you are arms reach from an opponent you will not need it. And Chi Sao and close quarter drills with contact and trapping is what is supposed to give you this peripheral vision. You don't have to see to know where the hands are.

TenTigers
08-28-2010, 07:58 PM
those exercises really do work. I've been doing them, and now I have 360 deg. peripheral vision. I can hold my fingers in back of my head, and always know exactly how many are there.

...it's freakin' amazing.