PDA

View Full Version : aikido vs. TKD

Dragonzbane76
08-27-2010, 04:46 AM
I so want his vader helmet....:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NinO0vGum38&feature=related

sanjuro_ronin
08-27-2010, 05:29 AM
That is probably one the worse displays of TKD AND Aikido I have seen in awhile, thanks fro ruining my breakfast.
:p

taai gihk yahn
08-27-2010, 05:32 AM
LOL @ how when the aikidoka's helmet came off at the end, it took all of his hair with it!

otherwise, it was just a sorry display of "stylistic" limitation and misconception on both ends, with a lot of compliance thrown into the mix;

and reading the text attached to it lowered my IQ by about 10 points...

Dragonzbane76
08-27-2010, 05:50 AM
hahah... never said it was good... just said I wanted the darth vader helm.....:D

didn't read the comments... I could probably imagine the end result of said comments.

KC Elbows
08-27-2010, 10:49 AM
You guys fail to understand the subtlety of these styles. This video shows it perfectly.

The goal of tkd is to kick slightly in front of somebody, not to kick them, but just for the sake of kicking, thus proving your willingness to take an aggressive stance, while the goal of aikido is to find somebody who will seem to be attacking you, but who isn't, in order to throw them down and physically dominate them, thus proving your peacefulness.

This video is like a zen koan, and you all are merely haters.

sanjuro_ronin
08-27-2010, 10:55 AM
She has the real aikido
http://www.letsjapan.markmode.com/wp-content/uploads/image/2009-office-lady-sexy-japan.jpg

sanjuro_ronin
08-27-2010, 10:58 AM
The real TKD
http://www.upthefile.com/images/2ao3b7bcsu4l5cjhmrw.jpg

Hebrew Hammer
08-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Ronin, you have a gift my friend...a gift! Keep em coming.:D

KC Elbows
08-27-2010, 11:05 AM
No. Everyone knows aikido is the province of white dudes with pony tails, and tkd white dudes with mullets. There aren't white dudes with pony tails or white dudes with mullets in any significant numnbers in Japan, therefore, ipso facto, there is no tkd or aikido in Japan, and any presence of tkd or aikido in Japan is due to a white dude passing through on his way to Bangkok.

sanjuro_ronin
08-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Speaking of bangkok:
http://www.assinthong.net/images/tailynn-thai-ass-in-white-thong.jpg

KC Elbows
08-27-2010, 11:22 AM
At least you understand soft power!

Syn7
08-27-2010, 11:27 AM
i can see all the internal jokes now

taai gihk yahn
08-27-2010, 11:33 AM
i can see all the internal jokes now

noob catch onto true meaning of forum might quick; 1,000 EXP pts. awarded; promote to journeyman status;

KC Elbows
08-27-2010, 11:37 AM
noob catch onto true meaning of forum might quick; 1,000 EXP pts. awarded; promote to journeyman status;

1000 exp? What a monty haul campaign, when I started, you got ten exp if you killed 100 orcs(1/2 for half-orcs). Nowadays, everyone's got their own bag of holding. It's like a +1 sword doesn't mean anything!

Drake
08-27-2010, 12:02 PM
They both look a bit inexperienced when it comes to "combat speed" applications, BUT, it is a good learning tool for them both. Once reviewed, most people never realize they looked so slow or awkward. Hopefully it was a good eye opener for them both.

It's all about learning and getting better. You won't get any Jackie Chan classics in most fights, but at least everyone walked away having learned something.

I also liked how professional and friendly they were with one another.

taai gihk yahn
08-27-2010, 12:05 PM
1000 exp? What a monty haul campaign, when I started, you got ten exp if you killed 100 orcs(1/2 for half-orcs). Nowadays, everyone's got their own bag of holding. It's like a +1 sword doesn't mean anything!

inflation...I blame the supply-siders...and the Drow...

Syn7
08-27-2010, 12:12 PM
whats drow??? you mean like hydro??? lol

Lucas
08-27-2010, 12:13 PM
the darkest elves! hes elvin racist!!

KC Elbows
08-27-2010, 12:19 PM
I had a friend who was a gelatinous cube, but some ochre jelly got picked over him for hanging out in a perfectly cubic room, apparently a level three discrimination spell hit a ring of reversal.

Lucas
08-27-2010, 12:26 PM
ive heard about that before, invest in a circlet of immunity...gloiven

KC Elbows
08-27-2010, 12:31 PM
They both look a bit inexperienced when it comes to "combat speed" applications, BUT, it is a good learning tool for them both. Once reviewed, most people never realize they looked so slow or awkward. Hopefully it was a good eye opener for them both.

It's all about learning and getting better. You won't get any Jackie Chan classics in most fights, but at least everyone walked away having learned something.

I also liked how professional and friendly they were with one another.

I actually agree here. It's easy to joke around, but I am more impressed by seeing steps at really working things out over seeing impressive displays of what could be used in fighting, but not ingrained into the actual usage, if that makes any sense. I look at most videos as a point in time: assuming this is the way they trained from there, where does it logically lead, etc. I'm certain that, assuming they kept it up, they progressed from that point. Seeing a vid of really useful stuff done alone, or done in a way that doesn't ingrain the full usage, I might like their awareness of fundamentals more, but I would be disappointed to see that it will go nowhere, or close to it, because of the approach.

/rant

KC Elbows
08-27-2010, 12:43 PM
ive heard about that before, invest in a circlet of immunity...gloiven

It's also further proof that ochre jellies will not change until forced to get off their lazy masses and assume some sort of shape! I'm not prejudiced, but clearly the ability to be cubic shows the superiority of the gelatinous cube, seeing as they must naturally be inclined to geometry and the greek classics and civilization in general, unlike the ochre jelly. And isn't ochre just another word for swarthy? Not that I'm prejudiced! I just feel that the ochre jellies just can't be trusted to run their own business, and are best left under the authority of more geometric substances that have an understanding of economic principles, and anyway, entitling the ochre jelly will merely hand power straight over to the people who previously were in charge of ochre jellies. Maybe some attempts by ochre jellies to run their own lives were undermined by random folk who just happened to be passing by with torches, but that was a long time ago, things are different now, how long do we have to support the ochre jelly? I'm not prejudiced!

SanHeChuan
08-27-2010, 12:56 PM
It's also further proof that ochre jellies will not change until forced to get off their lazy masses and assume some sort of shape! I'm not prejudiced, but clearly the ability to be cubic shows the superiority of the gelatinous cube, seeing as they must naturally be inclined to geometry and the greek classics and civilization in general, unlike the ochre jelly. And isn't ochre just another word for swarthy? Not that I'm prejudiced! I just feel that the ochre jellies just can't be trusted to run their own business, and are best left under the authority of more geometric substances that have an understanding of economic principles, and anyway, entitling the ochre jelly will merely hand power straight over to the people who previously were in charge of ochre jellies. Maybe some attempts by ochre jellies to run their own lives were undermined by random folk who just happened to be passing by with torches, but that was a long time ago, things are different now, how long do we have to support the ochre jelly? I'm not prejudiced!

You know, I think you might be prejudiced.

KC Elbows
08-27-2010, 01:08 PM
You know, I think you might be prejudiced.

That's just like you Lawful Goods with your PC agenda, someone disagrees with your views on political grounds, and you pull the race card.

But really, where are these ochre jellies from? A wikipedia search tells me the ochre pigment may come from Cyprus. Aren't there muslims in Cyprus? Why are the ochre jellies hiding in dungeons, if they don't hate our freedom? Have you ever seen a woman ochre jelly without a veil? I know I haven't.

How do we know it's not the ochre jellies behind the non-mosque building built vaguely close to Ground Zero, on the other side of some strip clubs that otherwise tastefully reflect our cultural values and the sacredness of that place?

taai gihk yahn
08-27-2010, 01:26 PM
the darkest elves! hes elvin racist!!

not at all - some of my Paladin's best friends are Drow!

Lucas
08-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Ya...sure...just like every other paladin out there 'has a drow friend' :rolleyes: naga please...

Syn7
08-27-2010, 01:53 PM
wtf are u people talking about??? sounds like d&d... i gave that up when i was 14 tho, so i wouldnt know about what its like today... or is it some othe role playing game? video game maybe???

Drake
08-27-2010, 03:04 PM
D&D was fun until people started getting weird about it. Haven't touched it in like 16 years...

Lucas
08-27-2010, 03:08 PM
ya i played it a little bit around 13 or 14 or something, but never got much into it. personally i always enjoyed a video game more than a paper game. probably because i was raised by nintendo and sega.....ol' uncle mario and sonic.

but ya syn we are just being ****y and using the role playing names cuz its a funny thing we do here sometimes. it parodies the aspect of larping in martial arts, kind of a running joke...ish.

Drake
08-27-2010, 03:12 PM
ya i played it a little bit around 13 or 14 or something, but never got much into it. personally i always enjoyed a video game more than a paper game. probably because i was raised by nintendo and sega.....ol' uncle mario and sonic.

but ya syn we are just being ****y and using the role playing names cuz its a funny thing we do here sometimes. it parodies the aspect of larping in martial arts, kind of a running joke...ish.

Dude...I have like EVERY NES/GENESIS GAME EVER MADE. <3 old games...

Lucas
08-27-2010, 03:16 PM
d@mn dude that is a bold claim!

Lucas
08-27-2010, 03:19 PM
are you cool enough to have BLACKTHORNE?????

art by one of the bestestestststetssts artists Greg Capullo!!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/40/BlackthorneSNES.jpg

goju
08-27-2010, 03:24 PM
No. Everyone knows aikido is the province of white dudes with pony tails, and tkd white dudes with mullets. There aren't white dudes with pony tails or white dudes with mullets in any significant numnbers in Japan, therefore, ipso facto, there is no tkd or aikido in Japan, and any presence of tkd or aikido in Japan is due to a white dude passing through on his way to Bangkok.

i was a tkd white guy with a pony tail:eek:

Lucas
08-27-2010, 03:25 PM

LOL< somehow i do not doubt that. ;)

Drake
08-27-2010, 05:22 PM
are you cool enough to have BLACKTHORNE?????

art by one of the bestestestststetssts artists Greg Capullo!!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/40/BlackthorneSNES.jpg

I BEAT Blackthorne!

David Jamieson
08-27-2010, 05:39 PM
For what they were doing, they got tired too fast.

they could use more time training conditioning and stamina.

the tkd used more energy than the aikidoka though, but still.

Syn7
08-27-2010, 06:31 PM
For what they were doing, they got tired too fast.

they could use more time training conditioning and stamina.

the tkd used more energy than the aikidoka though, but still.

the aikidoka had less experience than the tkd guy and still got the best of him everytime... more proof that without some chinna and basic groundwork ability, chinese boxing only works well against other styles lacking in the same area... im a firm believer in rounding your game... i love wrestling and bjj, i love boxing and muay thai and i love me southern chinese boxing... for health and longevity its all about the chinese boxing, but as a fighter, i value them all equally... time and time again ive put people onm their backs and they simply didnt know whaty to do,practically gift wrapped the submission for me...

how many of yall live in Vancouver and are down to train a bit, before the rains come??? im not the best martial artist out there but i'll never quit and i'll always be your punching bag if you'll be mine :rolleyes::D:cool:

oh and im a lightweight... so if youre 250, dont expect much... but im used to rolling with bigger cats...

Dragonzbane76
08-27-2010, 10:44 PM
i was a tkd white guy with a pony tail \

I kinda took you for a mullet type guy.....

Business up front party in the backk..... yeahhhh.....

Syn7
08-28-2010, 12:40 AM

not possible... it mustve been a short on top for the fellas and long in the back for the ladies kind of ponytail... but then that means you did TKD as a kid but moved on to aikido as a teen... and your ladykilling fist mustve been primo s h i t !!!

ghostexorcist
08-28-2010, 12:24 PM
The real TKD
http://www.upthefile.com/images/2ao3b7bcsu4l5cjhmrw.jpg
That girl looks just like Hitomi Tanaka, but I'm afraid she is way too top heavy to be doing anything like that!

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z5/ch4ngarang/hitomi-tanaka-05-26.jpg

goju
08-28-2010, 02:40 PM
holy christ that girls eyes are unusually far apart! ITS FREAKING ME OUT AIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!!:eek:

Syn7
08-28-2010, 02:45 PM
holy christ that girls eyes are unusually far apart! ITS FREAKING ME OUT AIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!!:eek:

i dunno, i didnt really think she was that hot at all... any of her...

goju
08-28-2010, 02:50 PM
thats the first time a womans face has distracted me from her boobs:eek:

god thats creepy

Yum Cha
08-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Man, you guys are a harsh audience. Not an MMA master fight, but a lesson never the less. I though the Akidoka looked more relaxed and in control, and un-pressed. The TKD guy was a mid-level bloke, and the akidoka had no reason to fear anything but a head kick - he was bare handed against 16 oz gloves.

Otherwise, just a matter of time, and wind him up - oh yea, wear a helmet with a chin bar just in case.

It looked to me like everytime the TKD came in with more vinegar, he paid a bigger tab. That's Akido, right? Killed me watching him miss all the chances to cut in though, I guess those Akido guys are trained to take the incoming power as opposed to generating their own.

Same deal as sparring with a wrestler, if you go light contact, the grappler will always have their way, eventually.

Not a great battle, fair enough, but interesting...

taai gihk yahn
08-28-2010, 05:42 PM
it would all be wonderful, if in fact aikido actually had ANYTHING to do with fighting (c.f. Ueshiba's whole rationale for deriving the practice as such); as such, the reason that the aikido guy didn't do much beyond flub a bunch of techniques until the TKD would let him take him down, was because aikido does not teach any fighting strategy, tactics, etc., and the art is predicated on a very specific sort of attack in order to make it "work";

that is why the aikido guy never did anything effectual on "offense", because they don't know how to do that, they never practice it!

I mean, when a TKD guy overwhelms you with punches to the head, it's time to take a vacation...

Scott R. Brown
08-28-2010, 07:09 PM
The problem was the Aikido guy was not experienced enough. He got locked into certain executions of techniques and couldn't flow onto others. He also kept going for a wrist throw which is very low percentage in real life. He would have been more successful with variations of Irimi and Kokyu Nages.

Syn7
08-28-2010, 08:03 PM
i was just cringing everytime the tkd cat kicked... he had so many chances and he missed them all... the aikidoka was ripe for a turning back kick to the midsection... my fav power kick by far... ive dropped so many with it, and im no kicker... im more hands... i spent alot of time checking kicks and droppin elbows in muaythai, never really liked kicking higher than the gut... its the sotherm shortfist in me(insert lewd remark here)... i love using the knees though...

but that aikidoka wasnt very good either... it just goes to show how minimal grappling experience and the ability to take a hit will usually beat a more experienced hand n foot boxer...

SoCo KungFu
08-28-2010, 10:47 PM
I so want his vader helmet....:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NinO0vGum38&feature=related

Wow, so this is what it looks like when a monkey ****s a football

Yum Cha
08-29-2010, 02:40 AM
a turning back kick to the midsection... my fav power kick by far... ive dropped so many with it, and im no kicker... im more hands...

Yea....what is it about that kick, I like it too...

I saw the guy go for the wrist lock and fail, but I saw him do a lot of other stuff too...

There was nothing on the line...