PDA

View Full Version : Couture vs. Toney

Syn7
08-27-2010, 02:53 PM
what do you guys think... i'll say it here and now... couture, first round pound out or submission... he's in better shape than toney and if he can get inside without getting ko'd toney is done...

penn edgar 2... ive been a fan of edgar for a long time now... penn is an amazing fighter but he's also a chump... i believe edgar will win and i want edgar to win... i see it being shorter than the last one.... i'll say, edgar, 3rd round tko by a grounded pound out...

its nice too actually see a world class boxer step up after all the garbage i hear from boxers as to how mma cant roll with boxing... james toney vs couture in boxing, toney ofcourse... but this aint boxing... i cant wait to see toney go against a wold class striker... can you say bruised quads!!!

Faruq
08-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Well I'll say Toney has no chance whatsoever. What in the heck was he thinkin' when he signed that contract? He's going to be the hottest new joke in MMA and in the hood for the first few weeks after the fight, lol.

And as far as all the badmouthing boxers do, Mayweather's the one that needs the beatdown the most.

Syn7
08-27-2010, 03:14 PM
mayweather is a midget with the mouth of a heavyweight... he said he would do mma awhile ago but only if he gets the multi trillion dollar payday he feels he's worth... aslong as its about the money, most boxers will stick to boxing... mma will catch up with paydays, but not too soon...

anyways, i think toney will always have a punchers chance... realistically, im willing to give him a 7% chance of winning... he has 47 ko's with 10 oz gloves... with the 4's, dude is dangerous... but it goes both ways... and randy isnt dumb enough to slug with the guy... and im real curious as to how toney will stance? boxer or mma stance? will he be an effective boxer if he has to drop down to avoid takedowns and check leg kicks???

this is how i see it... cut kick to the lead leg of toney, overhand right folloowed by a sick double and unless he lasts the round, he wont be on his feet again...

Syn7
08-27-2010, 03:19 PM
oh yeah, and maynard over florian... by decision... i see a ground fest where florian comes close to getting a submission but becoz he'll be on his back for three rounds, i see maynard talking it...

Dragonzbane76
08-29-2010, 06:46 AM
Well the expected happend. Couture got him on the ground and snapped the arm triangle on him...

Didn't see that coming.... "sarcasm"......

Faruq
08-29-2010, 09:00 AM
How many seconds did it last, and what kind of sportsmanship did Toney display in the post-fight interview?

Syn7
08-29-2010, 01:03 PM
he did even show up at the post fight interview...

Syn7
08-29-2010, 04:30 PM
what are your guys' favorite fights??? and why???

first one that comes to mind for me is the bout between brad pickett and scotty jorgensen in WEC 50... jorgensen knocks out picketts mouth peice, pickett bends over picks it up puts it back in his mouth all while taking shots from jorgensen and then laughs about it while taking more shots in the clinch against the cage... right after he stood up from getting the mouthpiece he got a nice one across the beak... tough kid... jorgensen is a better fighter though... pickett is just tough as nails and has a good punch and some decent ground game, but not on the level of jorgensens wrestling... hands down the best fight ive seen in a while though... looked like a leonard garcia fight... it would be a reasonable candidate for fight of the year 2010...

its too bad not enough people watch mma outside of the ufc... wec is quality... and since zuffa picked it up, the wec has gotten even better... like i said, wec is quality mma... its unfortunate people arent into the lighter weights...

i think the best fights in mma, on average, are bantam and feather weights... its a great mix of technique and toughness... they also have way more endurance and generally a much harder constitution... its just alot better to watch two guys that can go full tilt for 3 - 5 rounds... you very rarely, if ever, see that with the heavies... the bigger they are the faster the gas out...

how many times have we seen a smaller guy against a monster and the smaller cat survived the initial storm, went defensive, waited for monster musclehead to gas out then proceeded to systematically pick the big guy apart... its like kicking a big bean bag at that point...

Syn7
08-29-2010, 09:47 PM
couture, first round pound out or submission

Couture - R1 03:19 - Submission
this was an easy one to call... i had a feeling that it was gonna be a submission because toney has a brick for a head and his complete lack of ground game made it likely that he would giftwrap the sub opportunity for couture...

maynard over florian... by decision...

Maynard - R3 - Decision - Unanimous
maynard is such a strong wrestler that this outcome will always be commonplace for him... he doesnt have the punching power and he lacks submission prowess against guys like florian who have alot more sub knowledge... kinda boring, but he keeps winning, sooo....... yeah :rolleyes:

edgar, 3rd round tko by a grounded pound out

Edgar - R5 - Decision - Unanimous

i was really hoping he'd finish him this time... although he absolutely manhandled compared to last time with the takedowns, it was another lackluster win... hard earned grind out but nothing worth talking about... it was some serious blue collar s h i t...

i really liked the diaz fight... it was really good to see him finish strong again at 170... 155 is a bit of a stretch for him but he seems to cut well... i wonder if he'll drop back down or bounce between the two... i think the organization is pressuring him to move up... they need more welters right now because of the gsp vacuum...

anyone else wanna see a diaz gsp fight someday??? diaz is awesome off his back so gsp might stand with him despite the fact that he could probably take him down at will... diaz is sic takedown defence but gsp shoots like a seasoned vet for a guy that never wrestled till a few years ago... just imagine if he was a highschool and collegiate wrestler... who knows... i think diaz could win 3 out of 10 times against gsp but thats today... if he gets bigger and trains hard... again, who knows... kid has maaad potential...

Dragonzbane76
08-30-2010, 05:01 AM
been trying to find the vid. to post. Not much to see, about a 1:39 worth. I'll look some more, hard tracking these things down sometimes.

Iron_Eagle_76
08-30-2010, 05:03 AM
Link to the entire fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFUKA52MDLU

Was nice to see Randy get awarded his black belt in BJJ after the fight, even though tapping out a fat tub of a noob like Toney isn't much of an accomplishment.

Dragonzbane76
08-30-2010, 09:55 AM
talk about someone bringing a knife to a gun fight.....

sanjuro_ronin
08-30-2010, 10:12 AM
One hopes that, eventually, people will see through the farce of "former boxing champ fights in the UFC".
Sure itw as an easy paycheck for Toney and RC but seriously now, enough BS is enough.

Syn7
08-30-2010, 11:58 AM
One hopes that, eventually, people will see through the farce of "former boxing champ fights in the UFC".
Sure itw as an easy paycheck for Toney and RC but seriously now, enough BS is enough.

actually he's the current IBA and NABO heavyweight champion... i wonder what he got paid??? i doubt its asmuch as he'd make defending jhis boxing titles... i could be wrong tho...

sanjuro_ronin
08-30-2010, 12:06 PM
I was speaking in general, but thanks for making that clear.
:D

In case you all couldn't tell, that was sarcasam :P

IBA sucks balls.

Syn7
08-30-2010, 02:59 PM
I was speaking in general, but thanks for making that clear.
:D

In case you all couldn't tell, that was sarcasam :P

IBA sucks balls.

yeah its a nothing title forsure... boxing really needs to start unifying all these titles... i mean, how many heavyweight "champions" do we need... i guess between the klitschko bros all the belts that matter are with them... they should fight eachother:D would be interesting... unfortunately they have been very vocal about the fact that they will never fight eachother... which is bull**** because the titles really should be unified... i wanna see one get beat up and lose all the belts so the other can avenge the loss for his bro and bring the titles back together where they belong...

between the two they have IBF, WBO, IBO, Ring Magazine heavyweight title(Wladimir) and WBC heavyweight title(Vitali). i think thats all of them... i could be wrong but im pretty sure im right:D

too bad jack johnson isnt alive and in his prime today... would be interesting... that cat was an absolute monster... the white establishment hated that guy walking around with his two whitegirl "wives" in tow... that made so many people so mad... i love it... yall should check out a documentary called "Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson"... its a great flick and its more about social issues of the time than it is about boxing... really good vid tho... check it out... if you cant find it i can upload it for yall if anyone has a place i can do that... its a gig or three im sure...

Dragonzbane76
08-30-2010, 04:11 PM
yall should check out a documentary called "Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson"... its a great flick and its more about social issues of the time than it is about boxing... really good vid tho... check it out... if you cant find it i can upload it for yall if anyone has a place i can do that... its a gig or three im sure...

yeah i watched that... was a great doc. His life was a roller coaster to say the least... didn't he die in a car wreak later in life? they tried and tried to find someone to beat him for the longest time. Hell he didn't loss till later in life to a young guy. Great thing about his style was that it was a first, first to use the elusive type of fighting to lure in people. Till that point most boxing was toe to toe match ups.

phoenixdog
09-06-2010, 12:33 PM
James Toney was a big disapponitment to be such a great fighter otherwise. In the prefight interviews he had total disrespect for MMA, and as a consequence was completely unprepared.He should have studied Randy's fights and prepared a game plan that included sprawls, inside uppercuts, knees to the face in the low clinch, etc.... I love boxing but man have a game plan! At least he got some of Dana White's money out of the deal for a 3 minute or less work out!

Faruq
09-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Hey but no, James Toney can take one hell of a beating! No one can take that away from him, lol.

Syn7
09-06-2010, 08:18 PM
with 8 months to learn mma and ZERO previous grappling experience... going against a greco olympian and hall of fame mma fighter... he didnt stand anything more than a punchers chance... and not even the same degree of punchers chance that big hitters in mma have... he isnt even a great boxer anymore... you can only ride on your laurels for so long, eventually you have to rest on them... he needs to go for a 300 mile run every morning untill he's actually healthy then enjoy his money in old age and leave mma to the pros... boxing too, for that matter... and what does it say for boxing when a guy as far past it as he is can be a champion... a minor belt maybe, but a title none the less... he was once such a great boxer that he isnt so bad as an old vet whos past it... but he's just killing his legacy... you dont have to retire at your peak... but you should retire when you know you'll never be as good as you were when you were once the best... why mess that up??? rant...........:eek::rolleyes::D

i had similar feelings about couture a few years ago... but i think ive changed my mind about that... he may not be able to be champ again, but he seems to be pretty game... a good learning experience for the young guys... get beat up by randy, make you better than you were before the a s s kicking:D but once he becomes just another rung in the ladder, he needs to step back for good... aslong as he's winning, i love to watch him fight... two or three more losses and thats it tho...