PDA

View Full Version : How many people do Gung Fu?.

diego
08-28-2010, 08:05 AM
At the start of the ming dynasty there was around 60 million people in China n@ the end about150mill..how many practised war arts, Shaolin specifically?. I know some of you studied Chinese history in Uni n GC gets paid to put in research. I love the 36 Chamber mythology I find it to be very rich. :) the whole Chan fitness and all of that, how many lived it?.

David Jamieson
08-28-2010, 08:23 AM
At the start of the ming dynasty there was around 60 million people in China n@ the end about150mill..how many practised war arts, Shaolin specifically?. I know some of you studied Chinese history in Uni n GC gets paid to put in research. I love the 36 Chamber mythology I find it to be very rich. :) the whole Chan fitness and all of that, how many lived it?.

I don't think anyone here lived it. the Qing fell in 1911, so definitely nobody here was there.

Shaolin was pushed into the world following the 1928 destruction according to facts and legends.

As for us westerners, our connections have been made through faulty wires and good ones too!

It's a good question, but I am not sure you will get much response from anyone who was actually there. They're mostly dead.

Faruq
08-28-2010, 08:47 AM

Are you talking about like all the people that participated in the Boxer Rebellion? I wonder how many they were?.....

David Jamieson
08-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Are you talking about like all the people that participated in the Boxer Rebellion? I wonder how many they were?.....

not many at the end of the day.

potions, shamanism and pugilism + classical bladed weapons were no match for rifles and pistols and canons.

Syn7
08-28-2010, 11:34 AM
i read somewhere that theres like 300 and something recognized styles... i think they meant that they were the ones they had catalogued... ofcourse there are a ton of family styles but i dont think they counted those... atleast not the small ones... cant remember where i read that but if i find it i'll put it up...

bawang
08-29-2010, 03:36 AM

at the end of qing dynasty the boxer rebellion was 90% of the kung fu community at the time, roughly 30 thousand people after a 200 year ban on martial arts was lifted

i read somewhere that theres like 300 and something recognized styles...
those hundreds of styles all popped 150 years ago with fake lineage and history. in the ming dynasty most martial arts had no names. ming dynasty styles had amazing names like "uppercut style" "wrestling 13 tricks" "18 sweeps" "arm swinging" "dodge a lot"

bajiquan eight extremes fist in early qing was called rake fist. go earlier in ming dynasty it was called "slapping". eagle claw was called "grabbing reall hard". 150 years ago taijiquan as called long arms boxing. there was no such thing as style.

taai gihk yahn
08-29-2010, 05:04 AM
I am not sure you will get much response from anyone who was actually there. They're mostly dead.

or at the very least, not at all well...;)

taai gihk yahn
08-29-2010, 05:19 AM
bajiquan eight extremes fist in early qing was called rake fist. go even earlier in ming dynasty it was called "slapping".
yes, but that was derived as a means of shortening the less practical, but far more descriptive, older (I mean, like, pre-dynastic old, man) name of "Yin Yang Five Elements Eight Trigram Dragon Phoenix Illustrious Heavenly Peach Scented Primal Orthodox Wu Dang Shaolin Luv Cluster He-Man Woman Haters Ninja Deboning Pimp Slapping Pumpkin Smashing Stoat Gobbling Tax Free Municipal Bonding Purple People Eater Flying Fist Way Method School Gate"; (not surprisingly, some of these terms have diffused in fragmented form into the general cultural milieu over the millennia)

evidently, the basic training was to recite the system's name 100 times while holding the styles famous Double Dipped Triple Spiced Chicken Leg stance (now only available in some regions).

seriously, I researched this; fu(k you all if you don't want to believe me!!!:mad:

taai gihk yahn
08-29-2010, 05:27 AM
for future referencing, the style name can be acceptable abbreviated as: YYFEETDPIHPSPOWDSLCHMWHNDPSPSSGTFMBPPEFFWMSG™*

(*those of you with an open Etheric 4th eye will doubtless grasp the special internal practice associated with non-verbal recitation of this sound...)

bawang
08-29-2010, 05:34 AM
can u imagine telling people u teach slapping and demanding 100$ a month for it? or telling people u make a living doing it?

taai gihk yahn
08-29-2010, 05:39 AM
can u imagine telling people u teach slapping and demanding 100$ a month for it? or telling people u make a living doing it?

works for him:
http://www.emeraldempire.org/community/download/file.php?id=2

PalmStriker
08-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Great Thread! Informational.:)

Syn7
08-29-2010, 01:44 PM
yes, but that was derived as a means of shortening the less practical, but far more descriptive, older (I mean, like, pre-dynastic old, man) name of "Yin Yang Five Elements Eight Trigram Dragon Phoenix Illustrious Heavenly Peach Scented Primal Orthodox Wu Dang Shaolin Luv Cluster He-Man Woman Haters Ninja Deboning Pimp Slapping Pumpkin Smashing Stoat Gobbling Tax Free Municipal Bonding Purple People Eater Flying Fist Way Method School Gate"; (not surprisingly, some of these terms have diffused in fragmented form into the general cultural milieu over the millennia)

evidently, the basic training was to recite the system's name 100 times while holding the styles famous Double Dipped Triple Spiced Chicken Leg stance (now only available in some regions).

seriously, I researched this; fu(k you all if you don't want to believe me!!!:mad:

oh.... you win...

i actually started learning that style but by the time they finished teaching me the title i was already profficient in slap grabbing so i just quit...

diego
08-29-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't think anyone here lived it. the Qing fell in 1911, so definitely nobody here was there.

Shaolin was pushed into the world following the 1928 destruction according to facts and legends.

As for us westerners, our connections have been made through faulty wires and good ones too!

It's a good question, but I am not sure you will get much response from anyone who was actually there. They're mostly dead.

I hear you my sigung would know the stories from peeps who taught in the twenties but due to the political history of China during his life i wouldn't want to bring up old ghosts so i don't ask these types of questions I just focus on fighting with sifu:)...it's dope history though so...maybe over dim sum I'll ask sifu about his elders...Ross went to class for this **** though so i was hoping peeps could add numbers that Wiki doesn't due to lack of citations...

diego
08-29-2010, 07:55 PM
at the end of qing dynasty the boxer rebellion was 90% of the kung fu community at the time, roughly 30 thousand people after a 200 year ban on martial arts was lifted

those hundreds of styles all popped 150 years ago with fake lineage and history. in the ming dynasty most martial arts had no names. ming dynasty styles had amazing names like "uppercut style" "wrestling 13 tricks" "18 sweeps" "arm swinging" "dodge a lot"

bajiquan eight extremes fist in early qing was called rake fist. go earlier in ming dynasty it was called "slapping". eagle claw was called "grabbing reall hard". 150 years ago taijiquan as called long arms boxing. there was no such thing as style.
so at this time of maybe 200 million in China 30 thousand would do the GF, cool.

what styles had the most numbers B?. or what religous sects and clans had the most monies...