PDA

View Full Version : choosing a style

shaolin_allan
09-01-2010, 05:07 PM
This is not a style vs style thread in any way up front. I believe all MA styles can be great with the right sifu. I'm going back to relearn my baguazhang forms i forgot mostly from my sifu but I wanted to learn an external style to compliment it. I do have fibromyalgia but i'm going to try and work through it regardless and strengthen my arms. The three i'm trying to decide between are eagle claw, 7* mantis and hung gar. Which would you recommend for me and why? Thanks in advance.

David Jamieson
09-01-2010, 07:23 PM
the longer you do one, the more you see it as more or less same as any other as far as styles go.

in a very broad sense of course. but still...

shaolin_allan
09-01-2010, 07:59 PM
I completely agree with what you're saying David. All styles are external and internal and eventually you learn all the ways there is to move your body. I was just wondering what style(s) it is that you train in?

Lucas
09-02-2010, 09:28 AM
thats a tough one to call. from what you can see is there much of a difference in the quality of instruction/facilities for each of the 3 styles you are looking at?

shaolin_allan
09-02-2010, 09:58 AM
It's the same sifu actually.hung gar was his first system but now he teaches northern shaolin. basically i want to focus on an external style in my private lessons while i attend his internal classes. i really need to strengthen my wrist arms and back, fibro has a put a good deal of strain on them. i know hung gar doesnt seem like a good match with baguazhang but i'm sure i wouldn't be the first person to attempt it. maybe changquan would be better than those for me with my condition? the thing is i was hoping to learn one of the less practiced arts so i can help contribute to the tcma community. you the the sections on this forum and there's 30 people viewing the wing chun forum and 3 or 4 people in the others viewing. makes me wonder.

Lucas
09-02-2010, 10:02 AM
hung gar will definately work on strength in your wrists, arms, and all styles will help you with your core and back strength.

ShaolinDan
09-02-2010, 11:25 AM
I really enjoy Eagle Claw, but it's very painful to learn. Especially hard on the wrists and tendons in arms. The traditional wisdom is that this makes the tendons stronger, but I'm not qualified to confirm that. Just something to think about...
If you haven't felt your teacher's Eagle Claw, you should ask for a sample before you decide...if you really want to learn Eagle Claw you're going to end up feeling it a lot. (And if it doesn't hurt like hell it isn't right.)

I don't think you should worry too much about if your other style "fits" with bagua, if the styles are very different it will be easier to keep them distinct and will give you a wider range. 'Course if they are complimentary that's great too. All the styles you mention are great if you've got the right teacher.

Syn7
09-02-2010, 11:35 AM
if its all the same teacher and you like all 3 styles then why not let your sifu decide... if he knows you he should be able to tell which style would suit you best... voice all your concerns and what you like and let him take it from there... im assuming you trust this person, if you didnt then you wouldnt want to learn from him, right? nobody here can tell you which style will suit you best, they dont know your teacher, your abilities or the way your teacher interprets those styles... its you or him...

shaolin_allan
09-02-2010, 11:43 AM
that is true Dan. Back when I first started learning from him he taught me a form called little eagle fist and i got a taste of his claw which I must agree was very very painful. that is a great point and I will keep it in mind.