PDA

View Full Version : Centurion Trailer...

mickey
09-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Greetings

This movie has had an extremely limited release in NYC. I have not seen it yet. I am not really motivated to. The trailer alone had me rooting for the women: they should have been the good guys, here. In my best Marvel Comics mindset, I was going, "Die Centurion, Die!" See for yourelf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaVC7Kvj22c

mickey

Lucas
09-08-2010, 11:20 AM
isnt that the movie where they make the picts bad people?

Lucas
09-08-2010, 11:21 AM
ya thats the one...its like america vs middle east.....the mighty romans vs the evil picts.....only the reality of the relationship between the roman empire and devistation and obliteration of the pictish peoples was quite different

im rooting for the picts. i hope all the romans die. :D

i almost rented this through zune before the release (they were offering it early at double price) then i watched the preview and saw how they turned the picts into these evil people....idk it looks like a cool action packed movie though...i'll probably end up watching it on netflix in a month or two.

mickey
09-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Hi Lucas,

I am sorry for not getting back to you. That trailer was all I knew about the movie until you posted. Thank you for the details.

mickey

Lucas
09-08-2010, 12:49 PM
in all honesty it does look like an exciting movie, i was just *****ing..lol...most people have never even heard of the pictish peoples anyway.

Syn7
09-08-2010, 08:56 PM
hey its not like the picts were peaceful all tribe loving people... they were a fighting warrior people... they burned their captured enemies in wicker cages... not that the romans were a bunch of fun loving gentlemen... but i mean, come on, its not all one sided all the time... the world would be a much different place if the celtae and/or the belgae won against the romans at any point... whether in the 100CE or 100BCE... and if the celtae and belgae hadnt been subdued in the first place by marius, sulla and then caesar, the jermans would have run right thru the gauls and attacked italian gual and then italia itself, forsure... the three main jermanic tribes wrent happy with what they had and wanted to move south, the gauls would have been killed and assimilated into the bigger jermanic tribes if the romans hadnt held them at bay... rome was under constant threat from gaulic tribes in the east and the west... from illyricuum all the way to further spain... so, i mean, the mentality they had about pushing the gauls back back and further back wasnt exactly one sided and purely evil... granted they had alot more right on thier side in 50BCE than they did in 100CE... i always liked the republic better than the empire... after augustus died, the whole thing went to s h i t ... atleast the early catulii, latentulii, scaurii, cornellii, caepii etc etc had lofty ideals and big dreams... as opposed to their much more oppressive descendants and the "new nobility" that was created after the fall of the republic...

Hebrew Hammer
09-09-2010, 12:07 AM
If you want to watch it....

http://www1.zmovie.tv/movies/view/centurion-2010

Lucas
09-09-2010, 09:09 AM
well i dont remember claiming the picts were dark skinned peace loving euro hippies :p ;)

....but like you said its not one sided.

i just dont like it when movies take culture vs culture and make one culture the 'bad guys' i feel the same way when middle eastern cultures are generally only represented as the villain base.

but hey, who doesnt capture women in wicker cages?

Dragonzbane76
09-09-2010, 09:31 AM
if you read conan comics in the least you knew what the picts were. :)

Lucas
09-09-2010, 09:47 AM
you know id like to see a movie where an arab dude is the righteous good guy. lol that would make my day

sanjuro_ronin
09-09-2010, 10:11 AM
you know id like to see a movie where an arab dude is the righteous good guy. lol that would make my day

The Gospel of John?
:D

Syn7
09-09-2010, 12:16 PM
haha... yeah i remember the painted man in conan but at the time i didnt know what a pict was... i learned about it studying euro history... western civ...

but yeah, i like the movies that give both sides camera time and make you like both sides and feel emotional over the fact they are fighting eachother because you agree with both... those are great movies... they tried to do that, sort of, with that king arthur movie... where merlin was an enemy but they made you sympathetic to his people and ultimately they make nice for a bit...

but most movies follow that old hollywood format of them vs. us... good vs bad... white vs black... yadda yadda:rolleyes:

sanjuro_ronin
09-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Oh I don't know, she has a very "**** me hard you roman pig" look about her...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/goosen_powers/centurion1.jpg

Lucas
09-09-2010, 01:10 PM
haha... yeah i remember the painted man in conan but at the time i didnt know what a pict was... i learned about it studying euro history... western civ...

but yeah, i like the movies that give both sides camera time and make you like both sides and feel emotional over the fact they are fighting eachother because you agree with both... those are great movies... they tried to do that, sort of, with that king arthur movie... where merlin was an enemy but they made you sympathetic to his people and ultimately they make nice for a bit...

but most movies follow that old hollywood format of them vs. us... good vs bad... white vs black... yadda yadda:rolleyes:

totally, i'm hoping we see a bit of that in this movie. im sure we will since she is hot and wants it, as proven by sanjuro.

Syn7
09-09-2010, 01:29 PM
clearly....!!!

SnowDog
09-12-2010, 09:06 AM

I Saw this movie a few weeks ago and it did attempt to make you see both sides like the King Arthur movie, but done a bit better.

They dipict both cultures as being a bit A$$hole in the treatment of each other, and make you side for both sides from time to time. (with the treatment of the prisoners and some backstory bits of what the Romans did to the Pict villagers when invading).

It did a good job of keeping your sympathy with the Roman suvivors, since most are just soldiers doing their jobs trying to get home alive and not power hungry overlords (Like the ones who sent them there), and you sypathize and want revenge for the Picts from the back story of what the Romans did to the main girl tracking them, what they did to the people, and the reason why they are hunting down the survivors from the battle.

All in all I thought it was an ejoyable movie with great scenery and nice bloody action scenes. Even though you need to NOT logicaly think about things sometimes (aka: Where are all the other Pict Tribes?, How are a few dudes on foot constanly staying ahead of trained trackers on horseback? And did Hypothermia not exist in 5th centruy Scottish winter?)

My only true disapointment was that the "Climatic Showdown" near the end was too cliche' and very anti-climatic.

SnowDog
09-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Oh I don't know, she has a very "**** me hard you roman pig" look about her...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/goosen_powers/centurion1.jpg

Well she does have practice with that look from playing the Russian hooker in the Hitman movie. :D

mickey
09-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Greetings,

Saw the movie. Did not like. Period.

mickey

Lucas
09-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Mickey,

what turned you off? was it the story, the action, the acting or the whole package?

mickey
09-14-2010, 08:14 AM
Hi Lucas,

I was not too crazy about the action. The whole movie just did not get to me. The again, I did not like 300 either. The more I see the "propaganda" of movies, the more I tend to dislike them, despite how well they may be made.

mickey

Featherstone
09-14-2010, 10:51 AM
I must be living under a rock, I've never heard of this movie. hehe Mayhap I will have to catch up on it as well as several others once I start working again.

Jimbo
09-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Hi Lucas,

I was not too crazy about the action. The whole movie just did not get to me. The again, I did not like 300 either. The more I see the "propaganda" of movies, the more I tend to dislike them, despite how well they may be made.

mickey

mickey,
I agree in a lot of ways with what you're saying about the propaganda in movies. Although I must admit, my favorite old MA movies are about the Han rebels fighting against the Qings, where the Manchus are depicted as bad down to the very last man. Pretty much any movie that promotes 'types' is going to favor one side over another. That's a given, as there must be protagonists and antogonists. I guess to me it depends on how it's done and to what degree, as well as if the movie's entertaining to me or not.

For example, I really dislike the John Wayne movies, and a lot of the old Hollywood movies, where non-whites (Indians, Asians, etc.) are depicted as 'devious,' subservient, or faceless hordes. If one is shown as a friend of the good guys, he's (she's?) usually depicted condescendingly as almost childlike.

Anyway, sorry for going off-topic.:o

SnowDog
09-15-2010, 11:46 AM
I really didn't see the level of "propganda" that you guys did in the movie. I didn't think either culture was displayed as superior, smarter or better than the other.

....... Maybe it's just me :confused: