PDA

View Full Version : Most powerful kick.

Dragonzbane76
09-10-2010, 07:08 AM
4 different styles known for kicks on fight science. Which has the most power overall?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVxDPNsVrfI&feature=player_embedded

sanjuro_ronin
09-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Wow, the art that focuses on kicking had the faster and more powerful kick, didn't see that coming !
LMAO !!!

Dragonzbane76
09-10-2010, 07:24 AM
ya think... :)

sanjuro_ronin
09-10-2010, 07:28 AM
It was interesting that the TKD round kick was faster and more powerful than the MT one, since people seem to think the opposite.

Of course for the study to be valid you would need to have a greater selection of people, ranging in different weights and such.

Still, it's just for fun.

Dragonzbane76
09-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Of course for the study to be valid you would need to have a greater selection of people, ranging in different weights and such.

when i first watched this I said the same thing. They should also base it out a number of kicks. Like 10. Highest one wins or something along those lines.

sanjuro_ronin
09-10-2010, 07:39 AM
when i first watched this I said the same thing. They should also base it out a number of kicks. Like 10. Highest one wins or something along those lines.

I think they probably did a few kicks and used the highest ones.
A good study does average and peak readings.

goju
09-10-2010, 07:50 AM
a tkd kick was more powerful than an mt one?

IMPOSSIBLE:eek:

Iron_Eagle_76
09-10-2010, 10:33 AM
http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/9Nhi5zhoROg/0.jpg

They should have had Tong Po kick a concrete pillar, than you would see the power of Mooo Tie:D

sanjuro_ronin
09-10-2010, 10:52 AM
And the plaster was falling down !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQyuwxC6OyM

David Jamieson
09-10-2010, 11:33 AM
the tkd one is hard to land.
the mt one is practiced in such a way as to actually land on a target.

:D

sanjuro_ronin
09-10-2010, 11:35 AM
the tkd one is hard to land.
the mt one is practiced in such a way as to actually land on a target.

:D

Trouble maker !!

Syn7
09-10-2010, 09:13 PM
i was suprised when the capoeira guy got down so low for his kick... thats his most powerful? i figured it wouldve been the standing version of that kick... pleasant suprise tho... that is a decieving kick... you look like youre trying to get up, the opponent tries to come in on you and WHOMP... take the p i s s right out of em... i like it...

no suprise about the tkd guy, kicking is all they really do, so it better be good...

i was most suprised by the karateka... i expected more... he got a thumbs down... its a good kick in fights, like a leg jab to keep distance aswell as being devastating with power... muay thai cats do it all the time... but yeah i expected more from the karateka...

i also thought the muay thai guy would be closer to the tkd guy... i guess that time he spent hardening his body, sparring, actually fighhting, and using hands made him fall behind as the tkd cat just keeps kicking and kicking and only really kicking and not much else but kicking...:rolleyes: they like kicking you know...

kicking!!!!

goju
09-11-2010, 11:42 AM
there used to be a time when tkd guys punched alot:eek: its true! its true!

David Jamieson
09-11-2010, 12:12 PM
there used to be a time when tkd guys punched alot:eek: its true! its true!

they have to punch a lot, they never developed a system for getting punching power.

s'all legs man.

wicked wicked legs...well except for wtf, which is weak ass.

itf is more towards a martial art

That old Korean colonel had some white crane exposure didn't he?

goju
09-11-2010, 12:30 PM
not that i know of its just shotokan with a little bit of taekyon added in

Syn7
09-11-2010, 12:58 PM
it would be interesting to see what korea would have evolved into had the japanese not interfered... like what does subak even look like???

goju
09-11-2010, 01:15 PM
well as ive heard it the koreans pretty much abandoned their native arts before the japanese even invaded i believe they thought martial arts were for the lower class basically

dont know much about subak but it may have been another korean invention where there is a mythical fabricated back history created to make it older than it really is:cool:

Syn7
09-11-2010, 01:46 PM
dont know much about subak but it may have been another korean invention where there is a mythical fabricated back history created to make it older than it really is:cool:

did they do that with tkd??? create false history??? like on a national level??? or just martial artists lying to whoever would listen...

goju
09-11-2010, 02:02 PM
did they do that with tkd??? create false history??? like on a national level??? or just martial artists lying to whoever would listen...

Oh yeah they gave tkd a what was it? 6000 year history and claimed it came from the korean hwarang warriors lol. it was to distance itself from its japanese roots since korea and japan havent had the friendliest past with each other.

Pretty much every korean art today is an off shoot of a japanese/okinawan style with the exception of taekyyon and even that has a bit of a questionable history as well i believe . Despite that you'll hear alot claim of learning from some chinese mater or having an anicent korean lineage. it's all revisionist lies.

I wish i could find that hilarious korean martial arts timeline where it was mocking how distorted the countries historical teaching is. It had one funny date where the koreans traveled back in time and taught the ancient greeks pankration lolol

bawang
09-11-2010, 02:31 PM
koreans built great wall. koreans invented chinese civilization.

Violent Designs
09-11-2010, 03:00 PM
I guarantee you that Yodsaenklai can kick harder than that TKD guy.

EarthDragon
09-11-2010, 08:23 PM
The test is bogus, you cannot compare different styles with different people.

I know a wrestler that can punch harder than a boxer. its all depsneds on the individual not the style.

estwing did a study of hammer hits and they used different hammers but the same contracter to get which hammer pounded in nails easier.

Xiao3 Meng4
09-11-2010, 08:32 PM
I think a more comprehensive test would be to take a selection of non-martial athletes with similar baseline kick scores, and teach them each a different MA curriculum. Also have one guy just practicing on a bag without coaching.
Have them put in equal amounts of training time, then measure their kicks (or punches, if that's what you're measuring) again. The difference should more closely indicate which MA develops a certain tool more rapidly.

SanHeChuan
09-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Capoeira had the best kick. The TKD dude won on virture of speed not technique.

Syn7
09-12-2010, 03:41 AM
The test is bogus, you cannot compare different styles with different people.

I know a wrestler that can punch harder than a boxer. its all depsneds on the individual not the style.

estwing did a study of hammer hits and they used different hammers but the same contracter to get which hammer pounded in nails easier.

i think you would need to use alot of people and use averages...

yeah the capoeira kick was the best one...

i'd also like to see them all agree on one kick that they would all do...

Violent Designs
09-12-2010, 03:48 AM
Never get an American kickboxer/MMA guy for a KICKING test... western style MT really doesn't train their kicks as hardcore as Thai fighters do. Thailand is all about kicks/clinchwork, for the most part, with more or less rudimentary boxing.

SoCo KungFu
09-12-2010, 03:13 PM

Force=Mass x Acceleration

YouKnowWho
09-12-2010, 10:54 PM
I do hope that "internal" guys won't look down on "external" guy's Fajin method after watching this clip.

Syn7
09-13-2010, 03:48 AM
i'd like to see the same study with hands and more styles represented... internal and external...

sanjuro_ronin
09-13-2010, 06:27 AM

Ok, that's was funny !

sanjuro_ronin
09-13-2010, 06:30 AM
i'd like to see the same study with hands and more styles represented... internal and external...

I was involved in study like that over a couple of years, done at York University.
Multipel people from multiple systems and it was tested on Static targets liek this study but in the second phase, it was tested on dynamic targets" Ie: a suited up and padded guy during a sparring match.
The info was passed on to a few sports federations to government agencies for new guidelines into protective sporting gear.

omarthefish
09-13-2010, 08:40 AM
re: the TKD vs. Muay Thai comparison....

lol

A few years back I experimented with Muay Thai. I had a handful of idea about how their kicks were different and went into the class trying really hard to emulate the "Muay Thai style" round kick. Now I also did about 4 or 5 years of TKD back in the day. One day hitting the pads and getting only lukewarm critiques, I said to myself "aw fuk it" and just reverted to my old TKD training.

:cool:

Suddenly my pad holder said, "Alright. Now we're talking. Much better." . . . .

Since that day I realized that there's no real mystique about round kicks. It's just f-ing round kicks. The Thai guys are still way better fighters because there's more to a system than just the round kicks but at the very least, the Muay Thai round kick mystique has worn off for me.

Kicking is kicking.

goju
09-13-2010, 09:23 AM
one of the variations of the round house i learned in tkd was very similar to the thai one so the mystique was never there for me lol:D:eek:

Syn7
09-13-2010, 04:46 PM
I was involved in study like that over a couple of years, done at York University.
Multipel people from multiple systems and it was tested on Static targets liek this study but in the second phase, it was tested on dynamic targets" Ie: a suited up and padded guy during a sparring match.
The info was passed on to a few sports federations to government agencies for new guidelines into protective sporting gear.

results????

Violent Designs
09-14-2010, 02:45 AM
re: the TKD vs. Muay Thai comparison....

lol

A few years back I experimented with Muay Thai. I had a handful of idea about how their kicks were different and went into the class trying really hard to emulate the "Muay Thai style" round kick. Now I also did about 4 or 5 years of TKD back in the day. One day hitting the pads and getting only lukewarm critiques, I said to myself "aw fuk it" and just reverted to my old TKD training.

:cool:

Suddenly my pad holder said, "Alright. Now we're talking. Much better." . . . .

Since that day I realized that there's no real mystique about round kicks. It's just f-ing round kicks. The Thai guys are still way better fighters because there's more to a system than just the round kicks but at the very least, the Muay Thai round kick mystique has worn off for me.

Kicking is kicking.

there is ZERO mystique, it's just that CMA guys are so trapped in their own little worlds and delusions and they get hit/see something that looks like a baseball bat swing and think zomg powerful, like they never seen it before.

all Thai roundhouse is opened hips/hip thrusting. the kick cuts forward, the shin gets slammed forward. also there is no chamber.

most MMA guys don't do it right either.

the thing is not WHO has the most power, but who can deliver the most power if he is equally skilled in all of those kicking methods.

i have felt all sorts of roundhouse kicks, chambered and unchambered, from all styles... and when actually sparring/holding pads no round kicks still feel as heavy as a perfectly executed Thai style kick (especially with the step-in/driving pivoting leg).

sanjuro_ronin
09-14-2010, 05:57 AM
results????

AH dude, this was about 5 years ago for the first study and 3 years ago for the last one and I posted some info and no one cared so...

sanjuro_ronin
09-14-2010, 06:00 AM
all Thai roundhouse is opened hips/hip thrusting. the kick cuts forward, the shin gets slammed forward. also there is no chamber.

MINIMAL chamber, not NO chamber, this gives the impression of a "stiff or straight" legged kick and it isn't like that.

Different round kicks exist for different purposes.
The TKD one is a longer distance kick, though they have the shorter disatnce "triangle kick" as well.
The MT is a more middle distance one and the karate one is. should be used from punching distance.
That is why they are done differently.

Iron_Eagle_76
09-14-2010, 07:17 AM
The "mystique" behind Muay Thai kicks is due mainly to two groups, MMA and sport fighting nut huggers and traditional guys who studied a crappy system that did not teach proper kicks. The switch kick is the "only" kick I learned in Muay Thai that I did not know from my Kung Fu training. Granted it is awesome as hell and made it worth the time studying, but aside from that every Muay Thai kick I had learned in Kung Fu.

Teep is a front thrust kick. Roundhouse in MT was a power roundhouse in Kung Fu. Knee drills and clinch work I trained in Kung Fu under our Knee Sequence drills, although I admit the MT drills were better and I learned much from them.

The point is there is nothing mystical about Muay Thai, it is a very basic, very hard core, and very effective striking style. That being said, kicks such as side thrust, hook, and ax kick I use effectively and have caught MT guys with because they have never been exposed to them. This in not at all dowing MT, it just brings up the point that there are other styles that utilize kicks just as well and have techniques most standard MT does not.

For those of you who say those high, flashy kicks don't work, please ask any of the MT guys who fought the late, great Andy Hug how those kicks felt.;)

Violent Designs
09-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Andy Hug also trained full-contact fighting from way the hell back to his K-1 career... he never used those high flashy kicks in "point-fighting."

You can make almost anything work if you're athletic and skilled enough, and got the experience...

sanjuro_ronin
09-14-2010, 12:59 PM
You can make almost anything work if you're athletic and skilled enough, and got the experience...

That's just crazy talk !
LOL !
Andy was kyokushin by the way :D

Violent Designs
09-14-2010, 01:07 PM
I know, that and Seidokaikan.

YouKnowWho
09-14-2010, 01:11 PM
I picked up MT round house kick from my MT training parter. I used it in Karate tournament but I could not get any score back in the 70th.

Did Karate and TKD round house kick use the ball of the foot instead of the shin or instep? I still remember back in the 70th in Karate tournament, you could not get score if you kick with your shin or instep. One day one judge said, "round house kick with shin hurt too." That rule had changed after that.

goju
09-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Ive always maintained that the folks who say these "flashy" kicks do not work are just to stiff and uncoordinated to preform them.:D

sanjuro_ronin
09-14-2010, 01:14 PM
In Karate, like ITF TKD, you kick with the instep or shin when you are at a certain range and ball of the foot when you are closer or doing a "45 deg" round kick, sometimes called a "triangle kick".
Ball of the foot kicks can really hurt, they can hurt more than a shin, but very few people do them, the instep or shin is far easier and safer.
Of course, put steel toes shoes on and that is a different ball game.

goju
09-14-2010, 01:20 PM
yeah the ball was too awkward for me so i never bothered with it really:)

Lokhopkuen
09-14-2010, 07:36 PM
<SNIP>

There you go again making things interesting:D

Syn7
09-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin
<SNIP>

as an electrician i wore steel toes for years but in all honesty i have to admit that ive never felt comfortable in them for fighting... i'd much rather have a good pair of jordans or whatever... im a BBoy aswell and people at work would always be like "do a windmill do a headspin do this do that" and i would always have the convenient excuse that i have on the wrong shoes... which is good since i didnt want to do it anyways... but theyre just too heavy and stiff... so if im ever walking home and some thug tries to rob me i can say "i cant fight you coz im wearing steel toes, maybe next time" and avoid having to hammer a thug like whack a mole... :D

YouKnowWho
09-14-2010, 08:01 PM
but theyre just too heavy and stiff...
You can always make your shoes a bit special (as in the folllowing clip at 2.00). A friend of mine made a pair of boots like that and it also includes steel shin guard. It's excellent for MT round house kick.

http://johnswang.com/sc23.wmv (after 2.00)

sanjuro_ronin
09-15-2010, 05:58 AM
as an electrician i wore steel toes for years but in all honesty i have to admit that ive never felt comfortable in them for fighting... i'd much rather have a good pair of jordans or whatever... im a BBoy aswell and people at work would always be like "do a windmill do a headspin do this do that" and i would always have the convenient excuse that i have on the wrong shoes... which is good since i didnt want to do it anyways... but theyre just too heavy and stiff... so if im ever walking home and some thug tries to rob me i can say "i cant fight you coz im wearing steel toes, maybe next time" and avoid having to hammer a thug like whack a mole... :D

You can get lightweight steel toed shoes or boots nowadays, they can even look like runners or even casual or dress shoes.
I used them when I bounced for a mirad of reasons.
I once took out a guy with a round toe kick to the inner thigh, he folded like a soggy noodle.

sanjuro_ronin
09-15-2010, 05:59 AM
There you go again making things interesting:D

It's my job ;)