PDA

View Full Version : Applied Wing Chun

Drizzt
09-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Just curious to know how familiar some of you here are with this form of Wing Chun, as taught by Duncan Leung and Alan Lee. I haven't seen other lineages that look anything like what they teach. I always wondered why Duncan Leung's Wing Chun looks so different from what others do. Maybe some of you on here can explain that one to me. Not judging anyone, just curious.

My other reason for asking comes from a video that was posted of an old fight between Steve Falkner and combat sambo expert Igor Zinoviev that happened in 1996. Some were confused (at least that's my impression) of the circle drill that was being done by Steve in the promos. Is this something other schools of Wing Chun don't do? The circle drill is a great way to practice against multiple techniques and attackers to develop muscle memory. I will admit in the promo they were going at a slow speed and I can understand why someone who has never done it before would dismiss it.

As for Steve's fight, he closed the gap effectively, trying to force Igor to react, but he made the mistake of leaving himself open to a sambo fighter who knows how to take their opponents down and submit them. Steve should not have done the same technique twice. He probably wasn't aware of what his opponent could do. Combat sambo fighters are really good (Fedor for instance) and during that time very few people were aware of ground-fighting. I'm glad Steve took a chance against Igor and I have nothing but respect for him. I hope he learned from that experience. I plan on asking him about it and hopefully he'll respond.

What is sad is some who call themselves Wing Chun practitioners would bash a guy who stepped up and fought. Especially during the 90's when MMA wasn't even popular or known by most people. Wing Chun is no different than any other form of martial arts. If it doesn't evolve, it becomes obsolete. You have to adjust to a new environment. Learn to apply techniques in a combat environment. Sure MMA isn't real fighting, but it's close enough. Sanshou and full contact karate/kickboxing are close to real fighting too. You can't train in a school/gym and think you're ready to fight. You have to go against a real live person at full speed that you don't know.

I'm sure some of you train in MMA gyms or at least watch the sport. Those guys are evolving. They are also in better shape. Don't fool yourself into thinking they can't fight in the street. Imagine what they could do to you if they were on top with no ref's around? Combat Sambo is practiced by the Russian military and police force. They train standing and ground-fighting techniques. Do you think they play by any rules outside of a ring or cage? Why do people in Wing Chun spend so much time talking about theory and less time showing/talking about application in real life situations. Is a front kick and chain punching all that is used in fighting with Wing Chun?

k gledhill
09-11-2010, 05:33 AM
it showed a lack of 'ring movement' before being picked up and dropped...;) kidding.

The 'circle' drill is done differently by us, we each take turns to be the counter attacker and attacker ie, one guy attacks me with one action , pak/punch, jut punch, etc...and I try to respond with a simple response, toima/paksao, movement & punch, etc...trying to make the exchange fast and with little thought. The idea being to make each participant in the circle [3 is a good #] make reflex responses and simple compound attacks/counters, then turning to be the attacker for the next guy who counters, then attacks the next guy etc....good drill.

being the 'guy in a circle being attacked' is not how we deal with multiple attackers...thats their idea .

TenTigers
09-11-2010, 05:50 AM
from my experience, the circle drill also gives you an immediate adrenaline response. It puts you in a pressured situation, and forces your technique to come out-in a very controlled, systematic and methodical way.
I first learned a variation of that when I trained in Kenpo, where each person was given a number, and the teacher would shout them out at random-but they were all the same attacks. Then after awhile, the circle would start rotating around you, so you didn't know where they would come from.
The AWC method I experienced is similar, but done in order-but the attacks are random.
I combine the two, and add variations.