PDA

View Full Version : Weapons?

wahlum1820
09-22-2000, 08:04 AM
I am glad to hear that the 8 step system does incorporate weapons training. I had lived in Buffalo, NY for 8 months for a job and I trained with Sifu George Lisjack. (I hope I spelled it correctly) One day while working out we started talking about weapons in the 8 step system and he had confessed that he only knew broad sword and that his knowledge was very small..in fact it was a very short form.

Of course I was shocked becuase in the Wahlum system we tested on weapons...in the 8 step system do you start learning weapons at a very high level?

Just wondering /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kagerou
09-23-2000, 03:06 AM
I think George doesn't know **** about the weapons and forms in the 8-step system. Weapon training wasn't that important because we don't use them out in the streets a hole lot. But I heard rumors that a new weapons sash grade is going to start pretty soon. I think they're going to be the Broad Sword, Straight Sword, and the staff. The sash color might be purple, which might be after the red sash but I'm not really sure yet. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Kagerou

wahlum1820
09-23-2000, 04:43 PM
Ok I will give you that..but what about the tradition of the system and it's weapons. Forget about street defense aspect..what about the tradition and lore of learning a Kwan Do or the fun of learning a staff form or a two man broadsword form.. and no I know I will not carry them on the street but if the 8 step system was based on that and it taught no weapons then maybe his school should have sparred so the students would get a chance to see what works for them and maybe they need to practice on what does not work.

I am in know way bashing the 8 step system at all, according to Wah Lum Pai, 8 Step (Baat Bo) is one of the 12 styles of praying mantis so I know it is creditable and I have seen Master Sun work out and I know that man is creditable too but I just find it hard to believe that a style is only based on empty handed forms or nobody wants to pass down the traditional weapons becuase it has no street self defense application. Learning you Kung Fu heritage is part of the fun of taking a traditional Chinese Martial Art.

Before I get flamed please understand I mean no disrespect to the 8 step system I was just confused on this subject, each system is differnt in many ways and I just needed some light shed on that issue.

Mike

Kagerou
09-23-2000, 05:50 PM
If you stick with the school for many years, eventually you'll get to use all kinds of weapons. There is suppose to be 18 different shoalin weapons in the 8-step system and also some other personal secret weapons. Even my Sifu does'nt know all of them so, I can't really tell ya. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif I hope that the twin mellon hammers are one of the weapons.

Kagerou

8stepsifu
09-23-2000, 09:41 PM
The weapons that have been taught so far to Sifus are ones like knives, Bull whip, throwing darts and things that can be concealed. I think Master Sun is more partial to the 38. than he is a Kwan Do because of its reality value, but most people wanting to learn kung fu don't feel the same way. Purple sash is coming and a different traditional weapon will be added to each of the 5 sets. I know Chi Sow with broad sword and its not too hard considering that a weapon is an extention of the hand. New students always ask for weapons, so this is kind of an earlier introduction. I wouldn't be suprised if the decision to add weapons wasn't influenced by the Wah Lum school as well as Choy li Fut schools and their success. The material is the same as it always has been, but the structure and way the system is presented is highly influenced by TKD and Karate /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Also when your a Sifu with a school, you can pick a personal weapon to learn well...any ideas? I can't decide. Knives are awesome, but they almost always = death. Bull whip translates into using your belt to rope people up and lock them up (My preference). Throwing knives are ok, but I can barely remember where my car keys are let alone a weapon like that. Always wanted to learn chain whip like Iron Monky and Yuen Mo in the "The Blood Sword" Maybe I'll be master of the Shilleghleih /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by 8stepsifu on 09-24-00 at 02:47 PM.]

BaguaMantis
09-24-2000, 02:33 PM
In our tradition, which is primarily 8 step and then later 6 harmony, we learn a ton of weapons. our curriculum has staff, short stick, broadsword, dagger, spear, double daggers, double broadswords, 3 section staff, chi'en, kwando, monk spade, gik, rope dart, chain whip, 3 section chain whip, sweeper, 2 section rods, etc etc. more or less we learn a hand set and then a weapon set.

--Jared--
The journey of 1000 miles begins with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire.