PDA

View Full Version : Miao Dao seminar with Master D'Agostino

ironfenix
09-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Oct, 16th, At the farm , plant City, Fl . 813-610-4825

Master “D” is well respected for his mastery of Chinese weaponry , this will bring you on a journey in the sword play of the Miao Dao . Miao dao is a unique and rare weapon in Chinese martial arts and its true art is taught in obscurity. It was especially prevalent in the Ming dynasty where it was employed successfully in repelling foreign pirates and invaders. While also used on horseback, the miao dao was primarily carried by foot soldiers, favored as an anti-cavalry weapon. The miao dao's long handle allowed the large weapon to be maneuvered with the dexterity of a single handed weapon and also allowed for excellent power delivery due to its two-handed leverage. The workshop will introduce the student to this rare weapon. ,and will build a working knowledge of it's use. You will learn several series of drills for the development of foot work and sword work, and the form to practice the theory and movement.

ironfenix
09-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Oct, 16th, At the farm , Plant City, Fl . 813-610-4825

Master “D” is well respected for his mastery of Chinese weaponry , this will bring you on a journey in the sword play of the Miao Dao . Miao dao is a unique and rare weapon in Chinese martial arts and its true art is taught in obscurity. It was especially prevalent in the Ming dynasty where it was employed successfully in repelling foreign pirates and invaders. While also used on horseback, the miao dao was primarily carried by foot soldiers, favored as an anti-cavalry weapon. The miao dao's long handle allowed the large weapon to be maneuvered with the dexterity of a single handed weapon and also allowed for excellent power delivery due to its two-handed leverage. The workshop will introduce the student to this rare weapon. ,and will build a working knowledge of it's use. You will learn several series of drills for the development of foot work and sword work, and the form to practice the theory and movement.

David Jamieson
09-13-2010, 08:54 AM
what about pointed sticks? raspberries? Tigers? :p

taai gihk yahn
09-13-2010, 10:08 AM
what about pointed sticks? raspberries? Tigers? :p

Shut up!!!!

David Jamieson
09-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Sword work is a great workout and a lot more interesting than boxing in my opinion.

Even fencing will, or should have you sweating bullets in a realitively short go.

lol, I said "bullets" in a sword thread...

Syn7
09-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Sword work is a great workout and a lot more interesting than boxing in my opinion.

Even fencing will, or should have you sweating bullets in a realitively short go.

lol, I said "bullets" in a sword thread...

you get 7 points...

Tainan Mantis
09-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Here is a picture of the Miao Dao from Wushe's Qing Dynasty weapon manual.

Lokhopkuen
09-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Oct, 16th, At the farm , Plant City, Fl . 813-610-4825

Actually Miao dao was developed by Chinese General Ji after successfully repelling and capturing over 9,000 Japanese Pirates (not to be confused with Somali Pirates) during what came to be known as "The Wa Ko (Pirate Dwarf) Incursions". The techniques of the Miao dao were taken from the most feared and respected techniques of the Wa Ko.

YouKnowWho
09-14-2010, 05:17 PM
I believe Miao Dao had some influenced from the Japanese samural sword technique. I have seen a move in the 4 road Miao Dao forms (a 45 degree upward cut) was used in the movie Samurai III - Duel at Ganryu Island. After the challenger swing his sword 45 degree upward, he collapsed with a peaceful smile on his face.

Eric Hunstad
09-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Master D is an excellent martial artists and a colorful character to boot!

ANY seminar with him is money well spent.

It looks like I won't be able to make it but I will spread the word on the FL east coast.

Eric Hunstad
www.OldSchoolKungFuNow.com

Lokhopkuen
09-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Wish I were in the southeast it sounds interesting.

Eric Hunstad
09-15-2010, 06:48 PM
As I said on the main forum, any seminar with Master D is money well spent!

If anyone out there is on the fence on this one, don't miss out on a great opportunity. You will regret it if you miss it. I can't make it and am regretting it already!

Eric Hunstad
www.OldSchoolKungFuNow.com

Three Harmonies
09-16-2010, 07:13 AM
Under whom did Art learn the Miao Dao?

Sounds great, sorry it is not anywhere close or I would be all over it!

JAB

ironfenix
09-20-2010, 07:28 AM
I asked my shifu to send over a clip of him playing a few roads. His swordplay is killer. Hopefully a few people would be interested enough to go learn his movement.