PDA

View Full Version : How many styles of Praying Mantis are there, and how many of them have "Chi Sau" type exer

jojitsu27
09-24-2000, 05:46 AM
Hi,
I am a long time Wing Chun practitioner, and am curious about Mantis "Chi Sau". First of all, how many Praying Mantis styles are out there, and wich ones have sensitivity training similar to Chi Sau Fot?
I met some Mantis practitioners at a QIGONG seminar once and go the chance to do some "chi sau" with them. We just touched hands and free-flowed. Their energy was alot different from Wing Chun, but it seemed very effective. They seemed to use a "Pulsing" type energy, that gave very small push/pull type movements. I think they were a southern Mantis style, because of their upright stance.
-jojitsu27

Tekarius
09-24-2000, 07:12 AM
I not sure man but I think I heard that northern praying mantis has Wing Chun incoporated in it.
Just curious what's your wingchun lineage?

BaguaMantis
09-24-2000, 02:51 PM
There are a bunch of northern mantis styles. the most well known are 7 star, 8 step, wah lum, 6 harmony, tai chi (not like the internal art), tight door, and a few others. Thats not even counting the southern mantis systems which are a little more like wing chun than classical northern mantis. in northern mantis i have seen multiple sensitivity drills and excersizes. its not quite like push hands and chi sau though, as the back and forth actions are usually grabs and locks. grab and lock opponent, he counters, grabs and locks you, you counter, etc. everything from simple grabs to more complex maneuvers are run in the back and forth fashion as well as some solo drills, such as grabbing rope tied to a pole in mantis hooks until you reach the pole pretty much tangled up, then close tight blocking and parries to the rope while backing up to release it.

jojitsu27
09-24-2000, 03:54 PM
Hi Tekarius,
I am of Jiu Wan lineage. My instructor was both a student of Francis Fong and Jason Lau, both closed door students of Jiu Wan in Hong Kong.
I also study ketsugo jujitsu, a japanese submission wrestling art.
-jojitsu27

8stepsifu
09-24-2000, 05:47 PM
We do sensitivity sparring (chi sow). It uses princibles like pushing hands, we move around while we do it, changing height and angle of attack, after that we also use throwing and take it to the gound. It almost always escalates. Its a lot of fun though and I am able to use those same principles for long range fighting like kickboxing. Its a relatively safe drill that can up you ability quickly.

8Step Sifu