PDA

View Full Version : Other than Praying Mantis

MiamiMantis
09-25-2000, 10:43 PM
Food for thought...If you could no longer practice the Praying Mantis system, what other style of kung fu would you take and why?.

LizMantis
09-26-2000, 01:54 AM
Eagle Claw it is pretty close to Mantis, I would want to stay as close as possible. Yet, I also like Hung Gar, Chin Woo, manily because the way they look. But if that was they only reason people did a martial art then most would probably go with Wushu. . .

www.kungfuexchange.com (http://www.kungfuexchange.com)

8stepsifu
09-26-2000, 02:25 AM
Choy Li Fut, Ba Gua, or Hsing I....why? they are awesome styles.

8Step Sifu

MiamiMantis
09-26-2000, 02:28 AM
I would have to say Eagle Claw also. I took 5 years of Eagle Claw before I was in Mantis, and it is just as demanding as Mantis. If I would still be in Eagle Claw, my dream would be to train with the Lau sisters as you can't get any better than that.

Robinf
09-26-2000, 03:35 PM
I have no idea what kung fu I'd study if I couldn't study Mantis. I'd just stick with my Taekwondo, and maybe look into Tai Chi Chuan.

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

LizMantis
09-27-2000, 01:33 AM
This weekend I was trining with Lily Lau.. Which I always like eagle claw but that opened and new door, and got a whole new out look upon the eagle claw system. And it was great getting to see Lily Lau agian, since she did stuff in all..

MiamiMantis
09-27-2000, 12:13 PM
Consider yourself very lucky, that you have access to that caliber of training. Is she based in Texas or you went to her for a seminar?

MiamiMantis
09-27-2000, 12:14 PM
Consider yourself very lucky, that you have access to that caliber of training. Is she based in Texas or you went to her for a seminar? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BeiTangLang
09-27-2000, 09:18 PM
Either Southern Mantis, or Wing Chun. Both of those systems have the destructive power I see as benneficial for self defence.
-BTL

"Ever dance with the Devil in the pale moonlight?"

baji-fist
09-28-2000, 01:32 AM
I am also a preying mantis practitioner and have had the opportunity to study other styles in our lineage. So far the styles I enjoy doing other than mantis are Bajiquan/Piquazhang, Chen Taijiquan, and Yin fu Baguazhang. I think Bajiquan and Chen Taijiquan are very good styles because of focus on issueing explosive energy (fa jing) and silk realing energy(chan ssu jing). In our lineage, our mantis is heavily influenced by the Baji system.

You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet.

LizMantis
09-28-2000, 05:09 AM
It was a seminar.. but I got to get to hang out with her which was really nice. I was not the first time I had met her either.. Which helped as well.

wahlum1820
09-28-2000, 04:46 PM
Well I too have had the pleasure of working out with Ms. Lau and think I would either take Eagle Claw or Bajiquan/Piquazhang. The first time I trained with her was about a year and a half ago in Austin TX and for that weekend it was a Lilly Lau and Brandon Lei seminars back to back..talk about being wore out.