PDA

View Full Version : Great Seminar

Qi Xing Tong Long
09-26-2000, 02:02 AM
The Lee Kam Wing's New York 7 Star Mantis Seminar was an experience to cherished for the rest of my life. We worked on six forms, four hand sets and two weapon sets.

The sets that we worked on were:

a)Sei Lo Bung Da
b)Tong Long Tao Toe
c)Yau Ling Jeung
d)Mui Fa Jeung
e)Fu Mei Saam Jeet Gwon
f)Sern Dao Dui Cherng

I was able to spend some quality time with Lee Kam Wing Sifu, where he shared some interesting history facts, about the 7 Star Mantis system and it's family members.

One of the main things that I learned from Lee Sifu, was that there are only 82 forms including the Lo Hon Gung. I gave him a list of form names that I had and he checked off all the ones that were not 7 Star Mantis.

He said that the rest were Tai Mantis and some from Won Hon Fun. These instructors just added extra forms.

Lee Kam Wing Sifu, teaches his 7 Star Mantis exactly as it was taught to him from Chiu Chi Man and he from Lo Kwong Yu. Lee Kam Wing Sifu made a promise of honor to Chiu Chi Man that he would never ever change anything about 7 Star Mantis and it's teachings and that he would preserve it as is.

This is why Lee Sifu is on a mission to teach 7 Star Mantis the way Lo Kwong Yu taught it. I recommend all serious mantis practitioners to make it a must in meeting and getting the chance to train with him.

Lee Kam Wing Sifu, is the only Sifu left teaching from Chiu Chi Man's students. All other teachers have retired or not interested in teaching.

10 of us participated in the Tiger Tail 3 sectional staff class Friday morning, we held it at the state park. It was great to see 10 people at the same time doing the form with the 3 sectionals looked exciting and motivated you to train harder.

The seminar was attended by 55 participants and we had Sifu's from around the US.

The Sifu's that attended were:

Jeff Bruflat (San Diego, CA)
Raymond Fogg (Dallas, TX)
John Cheng (Los Angeles, CA)
Brian Bateman (Rochester, NY)
Yamal Torres (Chicago, IL)
Raul Ortiz (Long Island, NY)
Kenneth Keeler (Carmel, NY)
Robert Spoelstra (Old Bridge, NJ)
Derrick Wright (Los Angeles, CA)

I will share other topics in the future.

Peace
Ortiz, Sifu

Ortiz Northern Shaolin Temple 7-Star Praying Mantis Chinese Boxing Academy

[This message was edited by Qi Xing Tong Long on 09-26-00 at 07:13 PM.]

cha kuen
09-27-2000, 08:57 PM
It sounds like Lee Kam Wing has done a lot for the art. What does Lee kam wing know about tai mantis forms? You mentioned that some 7 star sifus were teaching tai mantis forms and the rest are from wong hon fun? What 7 star sifus teach tai mantis forms and pass it off as 7 star? What's wrong with wong hon fun's forms? Are they not considered as traditional 7 star according to Lee Kam Wing?

Your statement sparked a few curious questoins. No offense meant. Please answer if you have time. Thanks

Qi Xing Tong Long
09-28-2000, 12:51 AM
Cha Kuen:

Lee Kam Wing Sifu, knows a lot of mantis masters from Hong Kong. In his book, the Secret of Seven Star Mantis Style, page 26, you can see a picture of lee Kam Wing Sifu and Master Kwong Kwen Wai a master in Taiji Mantis Style.

Also Lee Kam Wing Sifu has seem many master of the different mantis style to be able to tell which is which. Besides, if they are not the 82 sets that Lo Kwang Yu taught obviously then, it must belong to the other mantis families.

No, this is not according to Lee Kam Wing Sifu, but according to the books of 7 Star Mantis passed to Lo Kwang Yu and so on.

In my opinion:
Nothing is wrong with Wong Hon Fun or his method of teaching. If the forms are not part of the 82 hand & weapon sets, including Lo Hon Gung, in the books handed down from Lo Kwang Yu. Then they either were incorporated or created.

Hope this was of help.

Peace
Ortiz, Sifu

baji-fist
09-28-2000, 01:06 AM
Ortiz Sifu,

I am a preying mantis student in Su Yu Chang's lineage. I was wondering what is the term "Lo hun gung" in Mandarin, or if it is in mandarin already what is the English translation. There is still so much for me to research on the preying mantis styles and I am always interested in learning about othe lineages, especially Lo Sigung. I am thinking about visiting Chan Sifu in the Philippines to check out his mantis and to see if he still teaches. Thanks for your time!

Guo, Bao-Lo

You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet.

Paul Skrypichayko
09-28-2000, 04:28 AM
lohan gung (Cantonese) = luo han gong (Mandarin) = arhat work (English)

cha kuen
09-28-2000, 10:02 PM
Does Sifu Lee Kam Wing know Paul Eng by any chance? They are both in 7 star. I would think that they would run into each other someday.

Tang Lang
09-29-2000, 01:02 AM
Cha Kuen:

I'm not sure if Lee Kam Wing Sifu knows Paul Eng Sifu, but I can always find out. Is there any particular reason why?

Peace
Ortiz, Sifu

Ortiz Northern Shaolin Temple 7 Star Praying Mantis Chinese Boxing Academy

cha kuen
09-29-2000, 04:31 AM
I am just curious that's all. It's a pretty small world when it comes to 7 star mantis. Everyone seems to know everyone. I would think that the two met before. Could you find out for me?

Thank you.

RODRIGUEZ
10-03-2000, 06:45 AM
This is a first for me on this forum and I just would like to take the time to say that I have really enjoyed the insight that you and other M.A. players share through this medium.

Ortiz,sifu just wanted to say that it sounds like you all had a great time. Seems like quite a bit of information to digest, but I guess its all about working it now. Nothing to it but to do it.

Rodriguez

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Papieboni
10-06-2000, 07:00 AM
I must say it was really a pleasure to be able to train with Master Lee Kam Wing once again. I think the most important and most inspiration for me was to be able to once again meet and discuss praying mantis martial arts with great martial artists and instructors such as Master Lee Kam Wing, Master Chui Luen, Sifu Raymond Fogg, Sifu John Cheng, Sifu Carl Albright, Sifu Ken Keeler, Sifu Jeff Bruflat, Sifu Nelson, Sifu Raul Ortiz and Sisook G.Lopez and all the other Sifus, Students (Sifu Ortiz Students for the hospitaliy and transportation they provided.) It is everlasting memories and as a person that has been involved in the martial arts only a short time compared to a lot of the individals at the Luncheon. Most of them have more experience than I have been alive and that is amazing and a lot of information that is available to digest and use.

Qi Xing Tong Long
10-06-2000, 11:35 PM
Operator:

Welcome, you will enjoy, get mad, but most of all you will get lots of informational knowledge.
Enjoy.

Call me when ever you get a chance, say hi to your family.

Peace
Ortiz, Sifu /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Qi Xing Tong Long
10-06-2000, 11:49 PM
KickingMantis:

I'm glad you had a great time at the seminar and yes, it was a historical moment that we had while having dim sum in Chinatown. So much history and knowledge and everyone sharing with each other family stories.

We look forward to improving the "Journey Through 7 Star Mantis Kung Fu Seminars Series" with every year, and I must say that is due to individuals like yourself, your support and friendship, that has helped this event become what it is.

Thank you for your support and I'm happy that you enjoyed yourself. Look forward to seeing you next year.

Peace
Ortiz, Sifu

Rochester7StarMantis
10-07-2000, 01:10 AM
Sifu Ortiz,
As always my students and I had a great time at your school. The classes with Grandmaster Lee Kam Wing were great. Learning the Tiger Tail 3 Section Staff form in the Park is something I will never forget.
Look forward to seeing you back in Rochester, NY soon. Can't wait till next year when Master Lee comes back.
Please keep us informed on the details of the China Trip.
Brian /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Papieboni
10-07-2000, 03:54 AM
RochesterMantis,

I still will be able to make you a copy of the Video by Sifu Alex Co if you want? I haven't forgot. I just am rewinding from the New York trip had a few new students start at once and trying to get them started. I had a lot of work and school work ready for me when i came back.
Also, we missed you and your students at the Luncheon. Maabe next year you will be able to attend. It was knowledge and affair I am sure you will have enjoyed.

Papieboni
10-07-2000, 03:54 AM
RochesterMantis,

I still will be able to make you a copy of the Video by Sifu Alex Co if you want? I haven't forgot. I just am rewinding from the New York trip had a few new students start at once and trying to get them started. I had a lot of work and school work ready for me when i came back.
Also, we missed you and your students at the Luncheon. Maybe next year you will be able to attend. It was knowledge and affair I am sure you will have enjoyed.

Qi Xing Tong Long
10-07-2000, 05:10 PM
Rochester7StarMantis:

I'm glad that you and your students had a great time. Sifu Lee Kam Wing is an amazing teacher and most of all he is willing to share what he knows with everyone.

Brian, thank you so much for your support, you have always supported all of our events. I have to say that individuals like yourself have helped me make these events possible. For that I am grateful, thank you my friend and brother in mantis.

I am looking forward to the Rochester trip, please let me know the exact dates, so that I can plan accordingly. I will probably see you sooner then that. Take care and give my best to your family and students.

Peace

Qi Xing Tong Long
10-07-2000, 05:13 PM
KickingMantis:

I was wondering if it would be possible for me to get a copy of that tape also. I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Peace

Rochester7StarMantis
10-07-2000, 05:38 PM
KickingMantis,
Please contact me direct about tapes, I have other material you will probably be interested in.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks,
Brian
Roch7StarMantis@AOL.com

Papieboni
10-08-2000, 09:20 AM
Will burn copies of both for the both of you very soon.

cha kuen
10-09-2000, 08:34 AM
Sifu Ortiz:

Have you had a chance to ask sifu Lee Kam Wing yet? I was wondering if he met sifu Eng. What's his opinion on him?

Qi Xing Tong Long
10-09-2000, 07:25 PM
Cha kuen:

I try not to bother Lee Kam Wing Sifu, with trivial questions and if he does know him, he will not give a negative opinion on anyone, it is just not his nature to do that, he is a devout buddhist.

I suggest, that you make your own opinion on him.
Go see him, ask him questions etc.

I hope you understand, my position and Lee Kam Wing Sifu.

Peace
Ortiz, Sifu

Qi Xing Tong Long
10-09-2000, 07:26 PM
KIckingMantis:

Thank you and I look forward to the tape.

Peace
Ortiz, Sifu